ARMS - Springtron is playable! V4.1

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.

Still playing?

Yes
33%
Occasionally
44%
No
22%

Total votes: 9

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Re: ARMS - Test Punch: Next one at 19:00

Post by DarkRula » Sat May 27, 2017 6:40 pm

Just jumped in for the third session, and I still say it is a great game. There's just one problem though. It's definitely not for me.
Mostly played in handheld with the Joy-Con attached this time, and the controls were working fine. LZ and RZ can also be used for punches, I've found out, leaving right thumb for jumps and dashes.
Hopefully the game does well, but I can't really buy into something I know I won't be playing. We'll see though.

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Sat May 27, 2017 6:42 pm

Jumping in for a second attempt online even though there's only about 20 minutes left of the current sesssion, see if I can get any better at this game.

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Post by GuitarHero » Sat May 27, 2017 7:00 pm

Did much worse this time, had a pretty big losing streak. Need to charge my pro controller so decided to use motion controls again, which were still alright though I doubt as precise. The only thing I had an issue with this time was that my punches were visibly hitting the other players but weren't doing anything so may have had some lag or something as the WiFi in my room is pretty crap. May end up just sitting next to the router next time to work out if it was lag, or just me being bad lol

Majin_Nephets
NNID: Majin_Nephets
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8667-3978

Re: ARMS - Test Punch: Next one at 01:00 (AM)

Post by Majin_Nephets » Sat May 27, 2017 7:17 pm

Just finished my first session, and while I'm still not completely sold on it, I do still think it could be decent fun. I tried out motion controls first (of course) but in the tutorial I discovered one of my joycons wasn't responding for some reason so I could only punch with one arm. While trying to correct it I accidentally skipped the rest of the tutorial and thus jumped in with virtually no preparation.

I did get both joycons working but I switched to buttons pretty quickly. It was quite difficult to figure out what was going on (mainly in the team and 3-way matches), I have no idea how to strategize for this, I was hopeless at the V-Ball (it didn't help that the opponent was constantly hidden behind you character so I couldn't see what they were doing and try to figure it out from that), and any victory I did get felt like a result of button-mashing and sheer luck. Although after seeing the comment here about using L2 and R2 to punch instead of A and B I did feel a little more comfortable.

All that sounds pretty negative, but I can see myself enjoying the full version of this game. Normally what I like to do is take on the single-player to get some proper practice and a feel for the game before I go online and obviously I didn't have that option here.

Most of the characters felt pretty identical to me, but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Helix. I feel he suits my panicky style.
PM me if you decide to add me on 3DS or Wii U

swarf
NNID: liam23

Post by swarf » Sat May 27, 2017 7:32 pm

I did much better this time! Really enjoying it - hopefully the connection issues improve in time. Don't think I'll be staying up for 1am though!
Currently Mainly Playing:
Switch: Arms and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Sat May 27, 2017 7:43 pm

Goddamn, this game is godlike. I tried out the Motion Controls but felt a bit overwhelmed. Might need to spend more time with it. But opted for Button Controls (on a single Joy Con since I was playing with my younger cousin) and it felt fantastic. Going with full control scheme might feel even better. This game is at it's best when it's a heated 1v1 for me. So many close games, like some down to pixels worth of health. Getting the upper hand last second and swiping with the Slappermander with Ribbon Girl felt amazing. Even had a few 1v2 come backs, it get's crazy hype lol. There some deeper mechanics hidden behind what you see at face value. Can't wait go in deep with the final game.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero » Sat May 27, 2017 9:53 pm

It'll be interesting to see how much traction a competitive scene gets with ARMS, as there is definitely plenty of potential there. As I've already a few hype moments, I'm excited to see how deep this game will go with all the customisation.

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Sat May 27, 2017 10:24 pm

It definitely seems like in recent years that Nintendo is trying to get on the eSports scene given how that and Twitch have taken off in the last 7 years or so and games like Splatoon and ARMS do give them something for that.

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Sun May 28, 2017 1:11 am

GuitarHero wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 9:53 pm
It'll be interesting to see how much traction a competitive scene gets with ARMS, as there is definitely plenty of potential there. As I've already a few hype moments, I'm excited to see how deep this game will go with all the customisation.
This game won't have a competitive scene. My second go in the testpunch that just ended was far more positive, but I'm really not feeling it as something I'd pay money for when there are some very clear issues with balance and general polish that I'd expect from a fighting game. I'll happily enjoy the testpunch again if I get time, but I absolutely will not pay money for it.

Splatoon's test in 2015 got me to jump on board. Arms just confirmed everything I was thinking.
Bucket

GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero » Sun May 28, 2017 1:15 am

Managed to play the last 20 mins or so and got to try out the pro controller this time. I definitely felt much more in control of what I was doing this time, as it was much easier to be precise with where I wanted to aim. Could be the way forward for me, but I think I'll give the motion controls another go too.

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Sun May 28, 2017 8:45 am

There isn't any aiming. Your punches are locked on and you curve to follow the enemy.
Bucket

swarf

Post by swarf » Sun May 28, 2017 10:36 am

Nofes wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 1:11 am
GuitarHero wrote:
This game won't have a competitive scene. My second go in the testpunch that just ended was far more positive, but I'm really not feeling it as something I'd pay money for when there are some very clear issues with balance and general polish that I'd expect from a fighting game. I'll happily enjoy the testpunch again if I get time, but I absolutely will not pay money for it.

Splatoon's test in 2015 got me to jump on board. Arms just confirmed everything I was thinking.

There will be a competitive scene. It's just that it won't be one you follow or join in with.

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:04 pm

Took me a little while to get into it at first, but once I did I had a really great time. Extremely satisfying landing punches, I'm tempted to get it now. Perhaps not at launch, but at some point.
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

Majin_Nephets
NNID: Majin_Nephets
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8667-3978

Post by Majin_Nephets » Sun May 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Yeah, I'm definitely not a fan of the 3-way battles. Although I did a little better in the V-Ball last session.
PM me if you decide to add me on 3DS or Wii U

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Sun May 28, 2017 1:59 pm

swarf wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 10:36 am
Nofes wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 1:11 am
GuitarHero wrote:

There will be a competitive scene. It's just that it won't be one you follow or join in with.
Yes, the quasi fighting game with items and weird character balance is going to have a competitive scene. Can't wait to see it at EVO.

Have you ever been able to criticise Nintendo, or are you just incapable of seeing fault in a company that doesn't actually care about you and only wants your money?
Bucket

GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero » Sun May 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Nofes wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 8:45 am
There isn't any aiming. Your punches are locked on and you curve to follow the enemy.
I mean that's what I'd count as aiming tbh. Definitely felt more in control of where I moved the punches with a normal control scheme.

To be fair, it's hard to judge how competitive the game will get until the game is out proper, as it's hard to see where the skill ceiling is at the moment. Just interested to see how the game has settled like a month or two after the game is out proper.

H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Sun May 28, 2017 5:06 pm

There will only be a scene if people make it. If Nintendo keeps up with the support of this game, which they are with updates, then I think It can grow over time. Look at Smash. If Smash came out today, you'd say it has no chance in hell for a competitive scene, but look where it is now.
Nofes wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 1:59 pm
Have you ever been able to criticise Nintendo, or are you just incapable of seeing fault in a company that doesn't actually care about you and only wants your money?
The heck has this got to do with competitive ARMS tho? You just brought up a entirely different topic out of nowhere. Are you annoyed that people are enjoying this? We're excited for something new. Let the game come out first and bake a while before you shut it down dude.
Twitter

swarf

Post by swarf » Sun May 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Majin_Nephets wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 1:23 pm
Yeah, I'm definitely not a fan of the 3-way battles. Although I did a little better in the V-Ball last session.
The 4-way battles where you are tied together are what I'm now finding trickiest, really struggle to get many shots in. Seems too frantic and arenas too small...but still great fun! :mrgreen:

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Sun May 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Frantic and infuriating, I've done nothing but swear a lot playing my first test fire. However, I'm still interested, and I'm sure I will get better when I hone my skills in the offline modes

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

bort

Post by bort » Sun May 28, 2017 7:03 pm

im kind of having fun with it at the moment? it feels like there are a lot of balance problems, and it just seems a bit shallow despite the range of options available

that said the volleyball is kind of fun and i like the 2v2 even if it is a bit manic, and its got a lot of flair and great looking characters. everything about the game LOOKS fun

but if this is what the majority of the game entails i wouldn't pay anymore than £20 for it at a push. it'd be fun with friends as a party game but i would really hesitate to pay £45 for the game as it stands

GuitarHero

ARMS - My Thoughts

Post by GuitarHero » Sun May 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Much more successful that time, as I sat next to the router so experienced little lag except on the V-Ball for one game where the ball seemed to randomly go up and down a bit too much.

If I had to rank out the modes on offer here I'd go: 1v1 > V-Ball > 3-Way/4-Way (as I had one 4-Way).

1v1 was always great fun, though I'm looking forward to the main game where it isn't just one round as I think that's how the normal game will be. As I had some close matches that I'd have loved to be able to have a few games to sort out who's better.

V-Ball was fun if hectic, though still not sure of the best way to hit the ball. The sort of thing I'd mess around by myself against the computer for a bit until I worked out what to do.

3-Way/4-Way fights... after a while people seemed to work out the best tactics is to just back off and then go in on someone when someone else does. Plus the fact that you can't see where you're being hit from all the time, as someone can easily get behind you or you have people in different directions so impossible to keep an eye on all of them. Don't know how they'd get around that.

Characters, I started off with Ninjara and then ended up playing Ribbon Girl (in black) as I had the most fun and got on best with her. I tried out everyone else, but I'd need to mess around in single player with them to play at an enjoyable level with them.

Stages, I actually really enjoyed all of them. They all had quirks that made them each fun in their own way, with different tactics better on each of them.

Controls, the motion control JoyCons were good fun to play with and something I'd definitely use when showing the game off to friends. However, when I switched to the pro controller, the added control (or in my head at least) allowed me to think more about how to beat my opponent so I did better with it.

Overall, I had great fun. I'm definitely leaning towards buying the game. I'm hoping the next Test Punch they're gonna rotate the maps, modes and hopefully characters too. The main thing to take away from this Test Punch for me though, is that I'm glad that Nintendo do these now. It'd be better if there was an offline function to practice with, but otherwise it's been a useful tool in whether to buy the game or not.

H.Kazuhira

Re: ARMS - Test Punch: 1st Test Punch Complete! Thoughts?

Post by H.Kazuhira » Sun May 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Tried going with motion controls again. I think it's neat way to play but when things get heated I start flubbing all over the place. Think I'm just going to stick with button control. 3 player FFA's are starting to warm up on me a bit more too. Now that I know how to switch targets lol. Doubles is amazing when you're with another player with a bit more experience. I can see this mode being crazy fun later down the line.
Twitter

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Mon May 29, 2017 4:03 pm

H.Kazuhira wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 5:06 pm
There will only be a scene if people make it. If Nintendo keeps up with the support of this game, which they are with updates, then I think It can grow over time. Look at Smash. If Smash came out today, you'd say it has no chance in hell for a competitive scene, but look where it is now.
Nofes wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 1:59 pm
The heck has this got to do with competitive ARMS tho? You just brought up a entirely different topic out of nowhere. Are you annoyed that people are enjoying this? We're excited for something new. Let the game come out first and bake a while before you shut it down dude.
This game will absolutely not have a competitive scene based on what I've pointed out. It was your choice to omit that part of my post when you quoted it.

swarf is an annoying fanboy, and I enjoy pointing out annoying fanboys. You'd think people had better things to do.
Bucket

H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Mon May 29, 2017 6:35 pm

So then how do you explain Smash? Things you pointed out applies that series as well. Smash 4 continues to be on the rise and Melee is defying all odds with it's level of popularity and that game has some of the most janky, un-balanced cast ever.
Nofes wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 4:03 pm
I enjoy pointing out annoying fanboys
Nofes wrote:
You'd think people had better things to do
Oh ok.

To be fair, you are on a small Nintendo focused part of the forum >,>

Back to ARMS related news, GameXplain found an exploit that let's you play the Test Punch offline for a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqD-poT7d1w&t=0s

Might try this later tonight.
Twitter

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Mon May 29, 2017 11:02 pm

H.Kazuhira wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 6:35 pm
So then how do you explain Smash? Things you pointed out applies that series as well. Smash 4 continues to be on the rise and Melee is defying all odds with it's level of popularity and that game has some of the most janky, un-balanced cast ever.
Nofes wrote:
I enjoy pointing out annoying fanboys
Nofes wrote:
You'd think people had better things to do
Oh ok.

To be fair, you are on a small Nintendo focused part of the forum >,>
Smash is a fighting game on a 2D plane with more than two attacks on each character. Arms is a game that would only ever be one on one with incredibly limited movepools and if you'd like to point out the depth involved in something like that, I'll happily listen. Until I get an answer that isn't "THERE WILL BE, BUT YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PART OF IT" followed by the sound of a toy falling from a pram, I'll continue to think that Arms will never have a competitive scene.

And Nintendo focused or not, you'd expect someone in their 20s to have more sense than to contribute to an echo chamber of mindless praise for Nintendo. Gets boring otherwise.
Bucket