Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy

Post by GuitarHero » Wed May 24, 2017 2:30 pm

As this game is only about two months from release, I thought we may as well have a thread for it. Formally known as Lady Layton: The Millionaire Ariadone's Conspiracy, Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy (or just Layton's Mystery Journey for short) is the upcoming new game in the beloved Professor Layton series and the first main series game since the prequel trilogy concluded with Azran Legacy in 2013. Hopefully the game will be worth the wait!

The game is going to follow Katrielle (or Kat for short) in her search for her missing father... Professor Layton. Given that she is a young adult from the looks of things and assuming she isn't adopted, the game looks like it'll be set 20 years or so in the future. This hopefully means we will see older versions of characters from previous games, if not in this game then at least in potential sequels. Also would be interesting to see who Kat's mother is at some point!

Right, now a mention about the slightly confusing release date(s). The game is going to be released worldwide on iOS and Android on July 20th. The 3DS version will be released in Japan on the same day, but for other territories it has been slated for a Q3/Q4 release this year. So not too long to wait thankfully.

Price-wise there is a pretty significant difference between the two versions. No prices except yen yet, but the 3DS release will be 4,800 yen (about £33) and 1,900 yen (about £13) for the smartphone version. So I'd expect that to become £39.99 and either £14.99 or £19.99 when it comes out here. Another thing to note is that the smartphone version will feature IAP (in-app purchases) though no word on what those will be.
Here is a side-by-side comparison of the same scene in both versions.

So will you pick it up at the first opportunity on Smartphone? Or will you wait and play it on the 3DS?

Here is the trailer for the game (turn on subtitles as they've been fan-subbed)

Personally, I'm pretty excited for a new game in the series as from the looks of it it carries on in the same vein of the previous games. Though I expect there to be some new elements this time, especially with a whole new cast.

But yeah, what do you think? Excited to carry on where you left off?

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Re: Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed May 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Not a Layton fan, but what's with the pricing difference between iOS and 3DS? It's very apparent when they are released on the same day.

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Post by shy guy 64 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:40 pm

i look forward to giving lady layton a try
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero » Wed May 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Yeah that surprised me when I read it. It doesn't sound like they're locking content behind a paywall either, as I've read that Level 5 have said the game is beatable without paying for in-app purchases so I guess its a hint system. So it doesn't seem to be following the other mobile game release, the Layton brother's game where it was F2P but you had to buy two packs to get the rest of the cases which I think just came to £5 total in the end. Though that was a wildly different game, so maybe it's not a great comparison!

I imagine (and hope) they have some justification, but I've only found limited info about the game and it all seems to stem from the same press release...
shy guy 64 wrote:i look forward to giving lady layton a try
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ZeroJones
NNID: Ballyzero

Post by ZeroJones » Sat May 27, 2017 6:35 am

Super keen on this. I'm definitely getting it on the 3DS, purely for the nostalgia.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:53 pm

I've missed having my yearly dose of Layton so I'll welcome a return for this series.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Crash N.Sane Trilogy Top 10 games of 2017 so far Horizon
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:11 am

I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm all for more puzzles and stories and stuff, but I'd have preferred it to be about Layton and Luke again. I'm not really a fan of the cliché way they've written Layton out either. Also, who's the mother?
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Yeah, it'll be interesting how well the shift in characters is pulled off as Layton and Luke are obviously a key part of the series' charm. However I'm definitely willing to give it a shot and hope it gives the series a new lease of life, as the series declined in sales with each game.

GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:53 am

I missed the release but the game is now out on iOS and Android. Looking on the play store it is called Layton's Mystery Journey and costs £17.99. I'm still going to hold out for the 3DS release personally, but the feedback on it seems good. However, this has been a very muted launch with little fanfare so I hope the 3DS release gets a bit more a show

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Post by shy guy 64 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:02 pm

coming to 3ds oct 6th
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:01 pm

shy guy 64 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:02 pm
coming to 3ds oct 6th
Sweet will get my preorder in. Just in time for back to uni!