Post your Top 10 Wii U Games

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
Cruizer

Post your Top 10 Wii U Games

Post by Cruizer » Sun May 28, 2017 8:12 am

So I finished the last game I pretty much intend to play on the Wii U and I'll probably pack it up and fully commit to the Switch. Pretty bitter sweet as the Wii U is one of my all time favourite console, I certainly got a lot more use out of it than the Wii and any of the current generation consoles.

...As a bit of a tribute to the Wii U post your top 10 Wii U games. Interpret it how you like but my top 10 is any game I played on the Wii U - I would include AAA games that have been released across multiple platforms (e.g. Watchdogs), I've counted remakes released for Wii U (e.g. Wind Waker) but have not counted games from previous Nintendo consoles I've played on Virtual Console (e.g. Ocarina of Time). Breath of the Wild would definitely be included - but I'm playing through on the Swtich - so it's not included in this list.....but like I say interpret how you like, I'm not the King;

1. Wind Waker HD

2. Lego City Undercover (GTA for grown-up's. One of my favourite games of all time - so much charm and humour).

3. Paper Mario: Colour Splash (I don't think I've ever disagreed with a professional review consensus so much. The negative reviews that focus on the battle mechanics seem to miss Paper Mario games are more about puzzles and vehicles to show off Nintendo's writing talents and story telling. This game was very funny, self-aware and very charming, it had amazing visuals and a surprisingly deep ending and was just crazy and creative throughout - if you haven't already please give this game a chance. I just love it!).

4. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

5. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze

6. Yoshi's Woolly World

7. Mario Kart 8 (if this was a list I put the most time into this would be number 1)

8. Super Mario 3D World (You could tell this was game was a labour of love, full of great platform ideas. This game was the reason I got a Wii U making it the single most expensive game I've ever got - and I don't feel short changed. Probably my second favourite 3D Mario after Galaxy).

9. Sonic Lost World (I actually enjoyed this. Probably just misses a top 3 spot in favourite 3D sonic game after Generations, Adventure 2 and Colours)

10. Starfox Zero (the gyro-scope controls are nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe - I am very biased as I'm quite a big Starfox fan in general)

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

Zelda Twilight Princess

Kirby (was fun, but it really was more of a game suited to 3DS - I liked that it utilised the functionality of the Wii U touch screen - but you don't get a chance to look up at the TV screen and appreciate what is objectively one of the best art styles of any game. Plus it was a bit too short and not really much of a challenge - though the final boss fight was quite tricky)

Wonderful 101 (It was a very good game and I feel it's the sort of IP we should support, but I just sucked at it and there wasn't really much of a learning curve for me and I didn't really feel able to keep up or in control - I enjoyed Bayonetta 2 though).

Smash Brothers (I know this feature highly in a lot of people top 10, but I'm not really into fighting games, I never do online gaming and most of the time I have put in is on single player. When I have done local multi-player it was usually with inexperienced gamers - so I'm not really the core audience for this and wouldn't get as much out of it as others).

DISHONOURABLE MENTIONS

New Super Mario Bros (As you can maybe able to tell from my top 10, I'm a big fan of colourful 2D side-scrollers but this game never clicked for me. Where as in the original Mario Bros, the challenge was getting to the end of the course, this one was too easy and the only slight challenge was finding the 3 coins, which in this game I found a bit boring. Yoshi's Woolly world wasn't that hard to navigate through either, but the levels were very artistic and a pleasure to look at (Mario Bros. level design was pretty bland with the exception of the Van Goth level) and Yoshi's World was hard to 100%). Mario Bros. U was alright early on in the Wii U life cycle for giving the Wii U something to do, but I wouldn't recommend to anyone as Rayman Legends exists).

Might No. 9 (This game is a cautionary tale about crowd funding to me. Did make me appreciate Mega Man more though)
"soylent green is people"

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Re: Post your Top 10 Wii U Games

Post by RainbowGazelle » Sun May 28, 2017 4:07 pm

The Wii U had so much potential, but never came close to reaching it. Even Nintendo could barely be bothered to make any decent games for it; instead relying on ports, underbaked games, or amiibo to make money.

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Would have been even better if Nintendo hadn't removed the gamepad features. But then, we couldn't have the consumer realising that the old console is superior to the new one, could we?

2. Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - Great game, I liked the HD and the gamepad inventory.

3. Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Already a great game, so it's a bit of a cheat.

4. Assassin's Creed IV - Great fun being a pirate, and the gamepad stuff was handy.

5. Darksiders II - Gritty Zelda with far improved combat, cool special powers, weapon crafting, great gamepad use, and fantastic puzzles.

6. Batman Arkham City: Armoured Edition - A great game that really puts you in the shoes of Batman, with really cool gamepad usage throughout.

7. Splatoon - I love it to bits. The single-player campaign was great fun, albeit short. The multiplayer is also tons of fun, but I feel that the whole game doesn't have enough content to justify what Nintendo charges for it.

8. Watchdogs - I loved driving around the big city and stopping crimes. It's broken just enough to be funny, whilst still being great to play, and it can get really hard in parts. Plus Ubisoft still bothered to at least add a map on the gamepad, where other publishers couldn't be bothered.

9. ZombiU - A genuinely terrifying game that makes fantastic use of the gamepad.

10. Terraria - An overlooked gem on Wii U. Great fun to explore and build, and makes terrific use of the gamepad; allowing you draw on the screen and manage your inventory. The best console port of the game, easily.

Honourable Mentions
The Wonderful 101 - So much better than the idiotic critics who didn't bother to learn how to play it gave it credit for. Wildly inventive throughout.
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed - Far superior to the mediocre Mario Kart 8, boasting more gameplay modes, actual fun racing, and a finished battle mode.
Rayman Legends - Great game, fun gamepad stuff.
Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water - Pretty creepy, uses the gamepad as a camera really well.
Resident Evil: Revelations - I love this game, but Capcom screwed up Raid Mode and the controls on Wii U. The 3DS version is better, in my opinion.
Minecraft - Just a great, imaginative game.
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - Finally, responsive controls in a Smash game!
Skylanders: Superchargers - Surprisingly fun, and generally does toys-to-life better than Nintendo managed with amiibo.

Still To Play
Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
Bayonetta 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Xenoblade Cronicles X
Lego City Undercover
Last edited by RainbowGazelle on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

Ploiper
NNID: ploiper
PSN ID: ploiper

Post by Ploiper » Mon May 29, 2017 8:48 am

1. Splatoon
2. Captain Toad
3. Pikmin 3
4. Sonic Lost World
5, Super Mario Maker
6. Nintendo Land
7. Yoshi Wooly World
8. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
8. Rayman Legends
10. Mario Kart 8

also shout outs to mario 3d world, mario bros u, super luigi u, wind waker, hyrule warriors, mario party 10 and game and wario.
EAT DIRT VILE SIG OF DOOM, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

danbish
NNID: TheFatPlumber
3DS Friend Code: 0920-1615-5762
Xbox Gamertag: Emerald Eagle
Steam ID: TheFatPlumber

Post by danbish » Mon May 29, 2017 10:13 am

In no particular order;

Lego City Undercover
Super Mario 3D World
Captain Toad
Bayonetta 2
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Super Smash Bros
Mario Kart 8
Need for Speed Most Wanted U
Pikmin 3
Rayman Legends

Kriken
FKA liberal

Krik's top 5

Post by Kriken » Mon May 29, 2017 8:53 pm

BotW is by far my favourite game on the system, though Smash 4 is bay far my most played. I haven't played Smash 4 in a long time now, and though I have some misgivings with it, I can't say it's anything but second on my list. It's a gorgeous and well-made game, has a great cast of characters, and for me is very fun with friends when played casually.

As for BotW I don't know what needs to be said. It's just grand, ambitious and a breath of fresh air. The art style has never been better in the series, and it does a lot of things better than other instalments. However, not all things, and frame rate dips did marr the experience a bit - being especially shocking in towns. Thinking about it excites me though - I know that as cool as this game is, I know it can be way better and that Nintendo will probably deliver. A Link Between Worlds was also refreshingly good but with this title it feels like Zelda is well and truly back.

Third best, it's a bit of a toss up between MK8 or New Super Mario Bros U, but I thin I'll go with the latter. I have long been a critic of the 'New' series. Loved the first game but every instalment since has been uninspiring with a lot of recycled content from the old series, with a pretty generic and unchanging graphical style. However, the Wii U game felt a bit different. To be honest, I can't really pinpoint why. I just enjoyed it more.

MK8 to me is nothing special. It's just very refined Mario Kart. Fairly safe on the creative side but it looks very nice. Great amount of content though, and 200cc did elevate it quite a bit for me. MKDS is still the peak for me, in terms of my interest in the series, but MK8 at least feels better than other instalments since. I have barely played the local multiplayer, admittedly. Everyone else my age will pretty much only play Double Dash.

I guess fifth is Bayonetta but I didn't really enjoy it much. Personally don't see the appeal of games like this and Devil May Cry.

And that's it, because not too long after I got a Wii U I entered a period of being pretty broke, so that's all the games I got (not the only reason, but a big one). Being a big fan of Pikmin - at least the original - I will get around to playing Pikmin 3 at some point. I also want to play Tropical Freeze, Splatoon, Mario 3D World, Mario Maker and Rayman Legends. I'm gonna hold off on Splatoon until I have a decent internet connection again.

Meanwhile I have very little interest in the HD Zeldas despite liking the originals a ton, and I tried Star Fox Zero with a friend and played it for maybe an hour and didn't really like it. The controls were just plain silly.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Tue May 30, 2017 9:16 am

Cruizer wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 8:12 am
2. Lego City Undercover (GTA for grown-up's.
[/bait]

I'm playing Undercover at the moment (on Switch) and it's unarguably the exact opposite. It's a great game though, don't get me wrong!

Need to think about what my list would be

Yubel
NNID: Alex-Haldane
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2474-9108
PSN ID: Alex-Haldane

Post by Yubel » Tue May 30, 2017 8:16 pm

1. Breath of the Wild

2. Super Mario Maker

Nintendo's best attempt at fulfilling the Wii U's potential. Iv'e played dozens of incredibly creative levels with novel concepts and was continuously surprised by the sheer versatility the tools provided.

3. Wind Waker HD

Featuring at least two of my all-time favourite dungeons, memorable music and satisfying, rhythmic combat, Wind Waker HD was a first for me on Wii U. Not sure whether I'd replay it though; travelling between the parts I loved wasn't all that interesting.

4. Mario Kart 8

I'm almost always hesitant to confidently refer to any particular entry in a franchise as the absolute best, but even before Deluxe this was, without a doubt, the peak of Mario Kart.

5. Yoshi's Woolly World

6. Super Mario 3D World

7. Splatoon

Sunk plenty of hours into the multiplayer over the course of summer 2015 and the campaign left me wanting more - which in an ironic sort of way prevents it from being higher on my list.

8. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

9. Watch Dogs

Watch Dogs finds it's way here for two reasons: one that it proved to be more than just a solid port and ended up giving me the complete experience and two because I thoroughly enjoyed the moment to moment gameplay among everything else. Except for the bland story.

10. Lego City Undercover

GTA but for adults.
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Super ONM. Superior Yubel.

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:16 pm

all of the mentions above plus add need for speed

fluffyKittan
NNID: How wanders the dog
3DS Friend Code: In search of
PSN ID: timely relief
Xbox Gamertag: Trapped:
Steam ID: the boy laments

Post by fluffyKittan » Wed May 31, 2017 1:49 pm

1. Deus ex mankind divided
TSF sQuad life ~ pour one out for Sangmin
"People who work at Nisa:'Look, I have a job'." [Decretum, B&M employee circa May 2016]

Yubel

Post by Yubel » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:53 pm

fluffyKittan wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 1:49 pm
...?
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:54 pm

1) Smash

I heard there were some other games on it but never bought any.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

fluffyKittan
NNID: How wanders the dog
3DS Friend Code: In search of
PSN ID: timely relief
Xbox Gamertag: Trapped:
Steam ID: the boy laments

Post by fluffyKittan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Yubel wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:53 pm
fluffyKittan wrote:
...?
excuse me what do you mean by '...?'
TSF sQuad life ~ pour one out for Sangmin
"People who work at Nisa:'Look, I have a job'." [Decretum, B&M employee circa May 2016]

DekuHero
NNID: Deathbringer2206
PSN ID: Deathbringer2206
Xbox Gamertag: Ghostface2206
Steam ID: Deathbringer2206

Post by DekuHero » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:31 pm

I got the Wii U at launch and I only have 10 games for it anyway (not counting download-only games) (and of course all of them are/were exclusives), I'll try and rank them up but I'm doing most of these from memory because most of them haven't been played in over a year:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I've not finished this yet, as of right now I've only done 2 of the 4 main dungeons, despite the fact that my copy of the game arrived a day before launch. However when I do remember to play it I have a great time, this game is a huge leap forward for the series in so many ways, especially after something like Skyward Sword it feels like a game from an entirely different era, the mechanics have so many angles to them and the huge world is great to explore. I'm not going to go as far as to declare that Nintendo has mastered and perfected open world games after only one attempt because that's far from the case but this is still a brilliant swansong for the Wii U,
even though history will largely remember it as the strong opener for the Switch. (favourite character = Sidon of course, but there are fun characters all over the world as is the norm for Zelda)

2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
I almost wanted to put MK8 in this spot but I had to hand it to this game for being a huge content-packed experience, even though this game got a lot less play time out of me than Brawl did I still very much enjoy the fine-tuned mechanics, functional online play and endless supply of things to do. Plus I love some of their new character additions, Mega Man, Little Mac, Pac Man, Shulk, Cloud, Ryu and Villager are great and the marketing campaign for the game itself was almost half the experience and a great time to be a fan of Nintendo in general. Only thing that disappointed me was that I wanted to see a follow up to the great story cutscenes from Subspace Emissary in Brawl, despite the face that the replacement for that mode was much better overall in terms of actual gameplay and levels.(favourite character = probably Dark Pit)

3. Mario Kart 8
My first game in the series was my childhood game MKDS, followed by MKWii and MK7, I love these games in different ways and for different reasons but this game has taken everything done well up to that point in terms of mechanics and courses and presents it all in a great looking and great fun ultimate kart racing experience. The only gripes are that the character roster missed a lot of potential and ended up being tainted by boring clones and that the battle mode was never fixed even though they did multiple DLC packs and it wouldn't be fixed until they did a port for the Switch, but all those improvements are only available if you buy a Switch and MK8D, which is annoying because I would rather pay for just the new features as part of an expansion pack or DLC. (favourite character = Iggy)

4. Bayonetta 2
The first Bayonetta was just so so great to say the least, and this game is similar to that while only changing a few things, which is fine because it's already a great game, the main draw here is that most players of the first game simply wanted to return to that world that they love and Platinum delivered. The story is also strong, even if it's not so easy to follow just like the first game, but by the end you'll understand everything and be left satisfied. (favourite character = Luka (though that's probably because he was my favourite in the first, would also give this honour to Rodin and Balder, it goes without saying that Bayonetta herself continues to be great in this game, along with all the characters who were great in the first one like Enzo))

5. Splatoon
This game finally answered the call for Nintendo to make new original IPs more often and it turned out to also be a fun time as you make use of some great fast mechanics, along with a stylish cool aesthetic and music, as well as a surprisingly good single player story to boot. Sadly the online features only met the most basic requirements (depending on how you feel about voice chat), thought this never bothered me personally for some reason because I only cared about playing fun matches and it definitely lets you do that. (favourite character = Miiverse & Callie best girl)

6. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
I have this game on GCN and only ever got to the forest dungeon you do after doing the tower of gods and I've never finshed it, when I got it on Wii U I'm pretty sure I stopped playing at the same place. Honestly, I have no idea why I stopped playing it, because i think it's a great game, I think this is more just an issue with me often being forgetful and also often having a large amount of games to play but not playing them. Still this game ticks all the right boxes and manages to improve on the graphics of a game that still looks good today. Inventory management on the gamepad is also something that BOTW was going to have but was scrapped on Wii U after it was ported to Switch, which is a shame because in this game it works seamlessly. (favourite character = Salvatore (S P L O O O O O O O O S H))

7. Super Mario 3D World
When I saw the reveal for this it was incredibly disappointing, sure I enjoyed SM3DL but I never found myself demanding "we need another one of these and it needs to be the new home console 3D game!", after the second trailer they managed to show me that the game was actually a bit more large scale than SM3DL but anything is going to look ambitious next to that game. The gameplay is of course mechanically sound and it is a fun time, although multiplayer is still as chaotic and basically broken as NSMBW all because they continue to have collision detection so everyone just gets in each other's way, and then people get picked up and thrown into lava, or one player goes way ahead very fast and everyone else dies, even though it's still entertaining it's clear that Nintendo intended you to have 4 players all playing at the same pace and that's just not really possible. Cat suit is a good power up though. (favourite character = ermmm...Bowser's car? I dunno just this game has some nice style but it lacks character overall. Roll on Odyssey)

8. Nintendo Land
This game went largely forgotten by most but it was actually really fun in multiplayer and it showed us most of the potential that Wii U had, even if some of the games are just dumb and forced and no one would ever make a a full game based around them. This has much better multiplayer than NSMBW but at the same time not all of the games are good even though there are a few standouts (mainly from the 1 vs 3 games). (favourite minigame = Animal Crossing Sweet Day)

9. New Super Mario Bros. U
I got this as a free download for buying MK8 as part of a promotion, I would have gotten Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and I was a lot more interested in that game but I also wanted to own it in box (and 3 years later I still haven't gotten around to buying it...) Anyway this game was mechanically sound just like SM3DW but this NSMB thing was already tired at NSMBW so even though this made some better stylistic choices, it has no real character to it just like SM3DL/SM3DW. It's just such a slog for me that I don't even think i bothered playing past world 2. Just overall ughh, and they didn't even put that much new music in which was pretty inexcusable because this was a home console game + there was almost none in NSMB2, (a game I played to the end for some reason, probably because it was just so easy) so I thought they were saving it for this but no, just pure laziness. (favourite character = that nice Van Gogh background in that one level I don't even think I got to, Nabbit is alright I guess? Such a meh game overall jeez.)

10. ZombiU
My friend liked this game a lot and he kept telling me to play it so I got it one day but I just got tired of it after not that much playtime, and eventually ragequit it after getting killed so much and I've not touched it since, I'm sure it's a fine game but in my personal experience i just didn't have any fun with it. (favourite character = honestly I don't remember much of the game)

Yubel

Post by Yubel » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:15 pm

fluffyKittan wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:52 pm
Yubel wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:53 pm
fluffyKittan wrote:
...?
excuse me what do you mean by '...?'
I was just taken back by your quality list of 10 Wii U games. Mankind Divided is great.
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:00 pm

I think I've only played 11 Wii U games so I'll rank them based on this order. Breath of the Wild is not on this list because I played it on Switch.

10. FIFA 13

It may lack some features of the PS3/360 counterparts, be based off of FIFA 12 but with the FIFA 13 teams and is prone to freezing on far too many occasions but it's the closest thing on a Nintendo console to the HD FIFAs that have. The gimmicks are pointless and add nothing but overall it's still a pretty solid game with so many teams, online play and career mode which makes up to some extent the lack of Ultimate team. As someone who hasn't really played the Playstation and Xbox versions that much though, I was still content enough with this and it's actually highest on gametime on my Wii U, if only due to the amount of time I spent customising the lineups of all the different teams in the game and simulating matches based off actual real life upcoming ones.

9. Pokken Tournament

A very fun brawler and one I was very much into at the time of launch and for a long time after. Gets marked down because some Pokemon are a bit too powerful but overall it was a fun game that I lost interest in just because there's only so much you can do with it and getting no DLC hurts it's lifespan. That said I haven't even unlocked Shadow Mewtwo yet.

8. Splatoon

Solid online game, probably the most played online game on the Wii U for me. But not really being much of an online gamer means that I didn't play this a huge amount after completing the single player, which was still pretty solid. Hopefully Splatoon 2 can be just as good.

7. Xenoblade Chronicles X

Until Breath of the Wild came along this was the most expansive open world game on the Wii U. The game isn't as good as it's predecessor and I found that some quests were a bit bland, along with the text size being way too small along with a mixed soundtrack. However, when revisiting the game I found the game got better in the latter portions after the huge amount of setup chapters finally began to develop into a fully fledged storyline, by the end I certainly enjoyed it, especially after getting the Skell and learning how to use it.

6. Super Mario 3D World

Despite essentially having 3D versions of what a classic 2D Mario level would be like, this manages to be very creative and rival the Galaxy games in both design and soundtrack. Expanding the instruments used from orchestra to just about everything including rock guitars (for Bowser) really made this a good game and the bonus worlds really help extend the game's lifespan and encourage you to complete this game fully. Biggest complaint is that the final boss is a letdown and is over a bit too quickly, also the bosses tend to repeat a bit too much.

5. Batman Arkham City - Armoured Edition

This was the first time playing an Arkham game and after not enjoying Mass Effect 3 that much I was a bit worried that jumping into another triple A multiplatform "more mature" title was going to turn me off. Nope, Arkham City holds up really well, the combat reminded me of Zelda in a way and the game kept me engaged from start to finish. Even if in my playthrough the boss fight against Mr. Freeze froze... oh the irony.

4. Super Mario Maker

The Mario game that never ends. User created Mario stages means there are always new levels to play and the sheer variety of stuff you can create leads to levels you just don't find in other Mario levels and new and creative ways to use old mechanics.

3. Mario Kart 8

The decision to drop being able to pick up new items while holding ones out behind aside, I think this is the best Mario Kart game. It has one of the strongest soundtracks in the series, the most expansive roster (even if stuff like Pink Gold Peach is extremely questionable), the most amount of tracks in one game and the whole intergration of Mario Kart TV really takes the replays to a new level. I think that explains why Nintendo were happy to release a deluxe version of it on the Switch because it looks like a difficult game to top.

2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

I enjoyed Brawl and it was the game that my friends and I would always play in multiplayer. But in terms of character roster and how this game plays I will definitely say that this is a better game than Brawl. Has the largest roster of any in the series, improved online which helps cater to the more hardcore competitive community, has more and better guest cameos (if you include the DLC), somehow manages to turn the more casual elements of Nintendo into serious fighters and my biggest shoutout goes to the Mii Fighters, which adds a whole ton of characters to the game. The amount of time I spent putting the likes of Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Doctor Who, David Cameron, Boris Johnson, Sans, Papyrus, Harry Potter, Sora from Kingdom Hearts, Kefka, King Leonardis, Reggie Fils-Aime, Homer Simpson, Donkey from Shrek, Diglett, Jackie Chan, Vladimir Putin, Hitler and so many more in the game, might have one of the most expansive range of custom fighters in Smash.

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

The original game was in my top 10 games for a long time but this is just a better game overall that it has disposed Returns. A better soundtrack, inventive level design and a final boss which is challenging but not unfair, this game was a real treat from start to finish and after this time I still think this is the best game on Wii U (though I may have a bit of a Retro Studios bias). The only real problem I have with the game is that the partner system is unbalanced to the point that having anyone but Dixie is a waste.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:34 am

Only including games I played on WiiU (for example, no BOTW as I have it on Switch and no WW as I have it on GC).

Mario Kart 8

The best Mario Kart (although the Switch version has the original WiiU game beat) and one of the best kart racers ever made. Near-perfect for local multiplayer, MK8 still gets played regularly with my housemates.

Super Mario Maker

Is there a game more perfect for the WiiU and gamepad than Super Mario Maker? Probably not. User created 2D Mario executed near perfectly - all we need now is an expanded sequel to add functionality such as multiplayer and (deep breath) slopes.

Splatoon

A brand new Nintendo IP that has firmly secured itself a place alongside the other Nintendo greats. As an online shooter Nintendo had a lot to prove with Splatoon, and they did it. Everything from the fresh aesthetics and music to the superbly balanced gameplay makes this one of the best shooters of recent years - who thought that would be said about a NIntendo developed WiiU game?

ZombiU

This launch game still remains one of the best uses of the gamepad. An excellent singleplayer experience with an underrated but very fun asymmetric multiplayer mode that completes the package.

Hyrule Warriors

I might prefer the 3DS port, but Hyrule Warriors is still an excellent game on WiiU. A near-perfect blend of modern Musou and Zelda, the love here for both franchises is obvious.

Nintendo Land

A mixed bag of games overall, but Mario Chase alone elevates this to games-to-always-have-to-hand status. The world needs more asymmetric multiplayer games, and we can only hope they are half as fun and accessible as Mario Chase.

Devil's Third

I know what you're thinking, and it's true that the singleplayer here missed the mark (although I think it's still worthy of merit for the glimpses of how it could have all come together so much better). The online here was really the best part though, and it's a tragic shame that so few people played it. I had an absolute blast in the short time I spent with the game.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Or to give it it's proper title: Mario & Sonic Rugby Sevens. If Mario Chase is what makes Nintendo Land, Rugby Sevens is what makes M&SR2016OG (better shorthand on a postcard please).

Super Smash Bros. U

I'm far from a big smash fan, but the multiplayer appeal is unarguable and I do enjoy the new board game mode.

Fast Racing Neo

Until Nintendo finally give us a new F-Zero, Fast Racing will suffice. It's not quite on the level of F-Zero GX (what is?), but it's a great racing game.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:50 pm

The Wii U was certainly a missed opportunity on both Nintendo and third party side, thankfully the Wii U did have some of the best exclusives I've played. Here's some of my favourites.
  • Bayonetta 2
    Smash Bros
    Wind Waker HD /Twilight Princess HD
    Super Mario 3D World
    Rayman Legends
    Assassin's Creed 4
    Deus Ex Human Revolution
    Pokken
    Tekken Tag 2
    Pikmin
    Yoshi Woolly World
    Mario Maker
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Post by Jezo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:17 pm

RainbowGazelle wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 4:07 pm
Kek alright, I'll bite. *Ahem*... What?
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing

samus_killer
NNID: samus_killer
PSN ID: samus_killer
Xbox Gamertag: SamusKiller

Post by samus_killer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:34 pm

(Like Scott, I'm also only including games I actually played on Wii U, so no BotW)

10. Hyrule Warriors
It's basically Zelda fan service: the game, and I love it, even if it's pretty shallow.

9. Lego City Undercover
Probably the funniest Lego game I've played and an addictive open world to collect stuff in.

8. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Easily my favourite RPG on the Wii U. It's like Persona, only without the bs slow parts.

7. Super Mario 3D World
Ok 3D Mario platformer, but a fantastic co-op 3D platformer.

6. Splatoon
A breath of fresh air in the online shooter space, just wish I put more time into it.

5. Super Mario Maker
The game I've wanted ever since I first played a 2D Mario game, even if I'm bad at creating.

4. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
The best platformer on Wii U. Period. Possibly the best DK game too.

3. Mario Kart 8
Probably the best Mario Kart game in over a decade. Such awesome track design.

2. Super Smash Bros Wii U
The definitive Smash game imo. So much to do, so much Nintendo memorabilia to collect.

1. Bayonetta 2
Easily my favourite PlatinumGames game and easily my favourite Wii U game.

Honorable mentions; Nintendo Land, ZombiU, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Captain Toad & Yoshi's Woolly World

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:48 pm

When I put my top 10 together - I looked through all the game boxes and made a list based on those games forgot about the games I downloaded from eshop straight onto the console :oops: so games like Pikman etc would probably be in my top 10 too.

Man, just looking through all the multiple great games people have listed here (many of them exclusives), the Wii U really was an under-appreciated gem.

.....Also not a lot of love for Xenoblades Chronicle X. I haven't played it but thought it was well received among those that had??
"soylent green is people"

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:28 pm

Jezo wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:17 pm
RainbowGazelle wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 4:07 pm
Kek alright, I'll bite. *Ahem*... What?
Eh. I thought Brawl's controls were very slow and unresponsive. And Melee does its own thing sometimes, as well.
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Responsiveness is a about the same between the games. I guess you could argue that Smash 4/Brawl is more responsive than Melee, because there is a small buffer period near the end of every move where a registered input will be carried out as soon as the move finishes, whereas Melee doesn't have this buffer.

Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Post by Jezo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:59 am

Kriken wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:59 pm
Responsiveness is a about the same between the games. I guess you could argue that Smash 4/Brawl is more responsive than Melee, because there is a small buffer period near the end of every move where a registered input will be carried out as soon as the move finishes, whereas Melee doesn't have this buffer.
You could also argue the other way since Smash 4 has 6 frames of input lag kek
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing