R.I.P. Miiverse

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

R.I.P. Miiverse

Post by Ape » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:49 pm

So, to no real surprise, Miiverse is going to be shut down on 8th November.
Polygon wrote:Miiverse, the social networking service introduced with the Wii U in 2012, will shut down in November, Nintendo announced today.

The service closes Wednesday, Nov. 8 at 1 a.m. ET. The news comes about a month after dataminers discovered text within a system update that pointed to the conclusion of Miiverse. Its fans have been mourning it in advance of today’s announcement.

Miiverse is the social space that greets Wii U owners when they boot up the console (provided it is connected to the Internet). It is meant for users to connect through the games they both play.

Miiverse at its best was a source of richly detailed, user-created images and hilarious posts in the vein of Weird Twitter. The Twitter account BadMiiversePosts was created four months after Miiverse’s launch to celebrate the worst (really best) of it, accruing a nice 69,000 followers since.
Miiverse was made available for the Nintendo 3DS in December 2013, and a web version of Miiverse followed in April 2014. Through that web portal, users will be able to save the content they created before Miiverse is taken offline. This announcement has more on how to do so.

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Re: R.I.P. Miiverse

Post by shy guy 64 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:31 pm

well i havent really used it in a while, but i still requested my post history
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:44 pm

I've had some great memories of being a part of Miiverse. During the early days, the community was really cool, especially the art side of it. Discovered some amazing talent and awesome people in general.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:32 pm

The rubbish thing about this is that you will no longer be able to play online tournaments in Smash or MK8, you won't be able to search for levels so easily or comment on them in Mario Maker, and Mario vs Donkey Kong Tipping Stars is apparently losing the ability to unlock everything.

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:35 pm

I really liked Miiverse, I found it really good for looking at screenshots and reading peoples comments on games that I wasn't sure about buying and really good if I was stuck at certain part of the game you could post and within minutes get an answer, I was quite disappointed when I found the Switch didn't have it, it kind of lives on in Splatoon 2
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:43 am

I used Miiverse to save screenshots, and it's completely ridiculous that Nintendo are shutting it down so soon after the Wii U's demise, and before the 3DS is even done! Kimishima is obviously trying desperately to remove any free online services before the eton mess paid online crap arrives next year.
OrangeRakoon wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:32 pm
The rubbish thing about this is that you will no longer be able to play online tournaments in Smash or MK8, you won't be able to search for levels so easily or comment on them in Mario Maker, and Mario vs Donkey Kong Tipping Stars is apparently losing the ability to unlock everything.
Yeah, it sucks, but Nintendo don't give a eton mess. As long as people buy the Switch, Nintendo will just keeping supporting that until the next console, then abandon the Switch instantly. Rinse, repeat. Every gooseberry fool generation.
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:07 pm

Still say Mii Verse was a cracking little app for the Wii U, I remember using it more than playing games. Shame they're closing it down, it would be nice if they gave it a second chance on the Switch but I doubt it.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

swarf
NNID: liam23

Post by swarf » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:13 pm

Twas a great feature, hope we see similar at some point on Switch.
Currently Mainly Playing:
Switch: Arms and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:34 pm

Miiverse was great, great way to talk about the games you were playing and the games you liked with everyone.

And the artwork, my god!!

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Post by Jezo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:00 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:32 pm
Smash tournaments got discontinued a while back already. The mode wasn't great tho anyway.
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing

ZeroJones
NNID: Ballyzero

Post by ZeroJones » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:43 am

RainbowGazelle wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:43 am
I used Miiverse to save screenshots, and it's completely ridiculous that Nintendo are shutting it down so soon after the Wii U's demise, and before the 3DS is even done!
That's my issue: let us have our 3DS Miiverse until you're really ready to wind that console down. How will we talk about Ultra Sun & Moon or Sushi Striker without a Miiverse? I, for one, know that I won't feel as comfortable posting my particular brand of 'sick bantz' to Twitter as I would have been to Miiverse.

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:35 am

It was a stand in social feature because Nintendo couldn't stomach working with other companies on social apps. Switch is a hell of a lot better in that respect, but I'm still waiting for streaming and video upload. Share features are why I love my Ps4 so much.
Bucket