Metroid: Samus Returns

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Metroid: Samus Returns

Post by Nofes » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:26 am

Anyone else grab this? Came out Friday.
Bucket

ZeroJones
NNID: Ballyzero

Re: Metroid: Samus Returns

Post by ZeroJones » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:39 am

I did! Whilst there are a couple of sticking points around the controls, it's a wonderful and atmospheric game that I'm enjoying very much.

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Post by shy guy 64 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:47 am

im enjoying it quite a lot
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Got it this morning and been playing it non-stop since, great game and the soundtrack is awesome.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Yes, it's cool. The controls are actually better than I thought they would be. Free rotating aiming, even while you're airborne, is a nice new feature. I thought I might have compared the game unfavourably to AM2R in the past, but they both feel completely different so it never really came to mind.

I like what the melee attack feature adds. Gives you an option of killing some otherwise annoying enemies pretty quickly. I like able to hit them out of charging something even when they haven't started their attack yet.

It's cool how you can approach the Metroid fights in a few different ways. Currently only have 4 Metroids left to kill so seems like I'm not too far off the end. Looking forward to hearing what the Queen Metroid theme sounds like because it's one of my favourite tunes in the series.

Hopefully this game will be successful enough that the next sidescroller Metroid won't be too far off into the future. They could keep this style for a higher definition game on the Switch or maybe the next handheld console.

Edit:

Aaand I've completed it. A sub-100% completion anyway. Will find out if there's something extra for a 100% playthrough in due time (there should be; I don't want to look it up though).

Some thoughts with spoilers:
Nice X Parasite scene at the end. Hinting at a Metroid Fusion remake? It'd be kind of odd if they weren't planning on something like that based on this scene.
If not that then maybe a new game in which the X Parasite features, where it's revealed they weren't wiped out or something. A remake seems more likely though. I'd like one.

They replaced the Queen Metroid theme with something that's less of a banger but it's still decent. It's made up for with the Ridley fight though. I would have liked a fully fledged extra level like in Zero Mission, but this was a nice touch regardless.

ZeroJones

Post by ZeroJones » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:22 am

I finished it last night too and went back to get 100%. I couldn't get past the fact that the D pad and Circle Pas controls should have been (ahem) switched. That would have given me the fine control I needed from time to time. Still, a good game that hopefully means more 2D Metroid action in the future.

Whilst a remake of Fusion would be welcome, a make would be even better, for me. 8-)

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:45 am

ZeroJones wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:22 am
I couldn't get past the fact that the D pad and Circle Pas controls should have been (ahem) switched.
I'm amazed you think that. Free-aiming wouldn't be the same on the d-pad. You wouldn't be able to access so many angles.

Unless what you want is the d-pad for general movement, and then just the circle pad for free-aim, but it wouldn't feel smooth switching between the two like that.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:32 pm

I'm about halfway through it and I think the controls are fine.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:22 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WkEoYvlUF0&t=0s

Really interesting video comparing this and AM2R to the original, although it does contain a few spoilers for Samus Returns.

ZeroJones

Post by ZeroJones » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:04 am

Kriken wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:45 am
ZeroJones wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:22 am
I couldn't get past the fact that the D pad and Circle Pas controls should have been (ahem) switched.
I'm amazed you think that. Free-aiming wouldn't be the same on the d-pad. You wouldn't be able to access so many angles.

Unless what you want is the d-pad for general movement, and then just the circle pad for free-aim, but it wouldn't feel smooth switching between the two like that.
I would have wanted the D-pad for general movement and I believe it would have been fine for my purposes during free-aiming, too. The Circle Pad did not give me the fine control I needed for general movement, particularly during certain set-pieces that shall not be named. :roll: I'm certain I could have played the game better and more quickly if the two had been swapped around.