What's next for Zelda?

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
Cruizer

What's next for Zelda?

Post by Cruizer » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:30 am

So most Nintendo home consoles [basically] had 2 Zelda games - so it's probably reasonable to expect another Zelda game on the Switch at some point. But BotW is quite a hard act to follow so in what direction do you think Zelda will go.

I do like the survival system on BotW - the stamina wheel, foraging and hunting (I don't like the hunting element so much), reacting to temperature and climate makes you feel vulnerable and therefore more emersed - but I wouldn't necessarily want it to show up in any other Zelda games. It would be a shame if nothing is carried over in other games from a game as important BotW, but I hope that the pressure isn't to make it more open world and bigger....and bigger. SS is pretty diversive but I really liked it and I wouldn't mind at all another more story-based linear Zelda - but it would probably be hard to go back to something like that after BotW

Perhaps the next Zelda game will go in a similar direction to Majora Mask after OoT, where there was an assumtion you'd play OoT, so there was no tutorial about the controls and the world and feel of the game was very similar but with much less conventional, more culty story - that would be kind of cool.

Not the best OP (I'd much rather someone more qualified made it, other commented than I could just read it) but what's next for Zelda?
"soylent green is people"

Ploiper
NNID: ploiper
PSN ID: ploiper

Re: What's next for Zelda?

Post by Ploiper » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:06 am

I think it would be very hard to not do another BOTW style of game, I hope it will be that same style, suits Zelda so well.
EAT DIRT VILE SIG OF DOOM, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Post by shy guy 64 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:53 am

i wouldn't mind seeing some games based on those early concepts from the early days of botw development like that invasion one
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:15 pm

It genuinely is a hard one. As special and importand as OoT and WW were at the time, I can't imagine they ever felt so good that no game could ever better it in the way botW does.
"soylent green is people"

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Post by GuitarHero » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:44 pm

I'm hoping for a Breath of the Wild 2, as they won't have to spend most of the time making the engine but they can tweak things and then the main thing is that they add a great story. Of course, the story DLC may do it but I feel like a brand new game may handle it better

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:59 am

Cruizer wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:30 am
So most Nintendo home consoles [basically] had 2 Zelda games
okay first of all

NES 2
SNES 1
N64 2
GC 2
Wii 1
Wii U 1

the switch has no zelda game yet

and there are already interviews about how this is the new vision for zelda

expect more of what we just got
Cruizer wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:15 pm
It genuinely is a hard one. As special and importand as OoT and WW were at the time, I can't imagine they ever felt so good that no game could ever better it in the way botW does.
these people exist its just that people who grew up discussing games on onm are unlikely to be the kind of person that would know someone in their 30s that played oot on launch day

ww though? no

try neogaf if you want to get an impression of what it was like when it came out
Bucket

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:13 am

I hope it uses the same engine as Breath of The Wild as it did a lot of things right. The physics were fun to mess around with to see how you could solve problems and kill enemies, the game world was definitely big enough, the survival mechanics were very good as well. Graphically it is one of the best looking games in my opinion, love the style they went for.

It wasn't all good though, they could have definitely put Darknuts in there somewhere as an enemy and the game could have done with more dungeons. The Divine Beasts were ok but nothing special. Much like the story, it was decent but nothing amazing.

Breath of The Wild is a very good base to build upon for the next few games though if they wanted to and I hope they do as it should mean we'll see another Zelda game release on the Switch.

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:53 pm

I'd personally hope for a game in the same vein, as most of what is there is very strong, but similarly there are a lot of places they could work on, these being:

-Dungeons; perhaps add some traditional themed Temples which open when certain pre-requisites are met (I think ALttP did this the best; open up a bunch of them past a certain point so that the game doesn't become too linear)
-Add more Mini-dungeons (I suppose expand the Shrine idea; have less of them but each would have more substance
-Greater enemy variety (as mentioned earlier, darknuts would have been cool)
-Add a bit more depth to the combat system a la Twilight Princess
-More depth to the side quests

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:40 pm

I've recently been missing Vaati so a game that explores that character more would be cool. I miss the darker themed Zelda stories too.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:41 am

I think we'll get a quasi-sequel with the same base mechanics, but a smaller world with larger dungeons and more enemy variety.

That's about vague enough to be right in a lot of situations I think

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:39 pm

Probably something similar in style to Breath of the Wild but hopefully bigger and more traditional dungeons .
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:19 am

imbusydoctorwho wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:39 pm
Probably something similar in style to Breath of the Wild but hopefully bigger and more traditional dungeons .
No
OrangeRakoon wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:41 am
I think we'll get a quasi-sequel with the same base mechanics, but a smaller world with larger dungeons and more enemy variety.

That's about vague enough to be right in a lot of situations I think
Yes
Bucket