Switch - How Do You Play?

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.

100% TV Mode
100% Handheld Mode
Mainly TV Mode
Mainly Handheld Mode
Equally Both TV and Handheld
Total votes: 17

NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:01 am

How do you play your Switch? Do you mainly play on your TV or in handheld mode?(includes table top mode)

I thought this would be interesting because for me when I first got my Switch (way back at launch in March) I treated it solely as a home console and only ever played it on the TV mainly just playing Zelda but since then I stopped really playing my Switch and went back to playing my Xbox One S and more recently my Xbox One X, I do my main gaming on the TV at night normally from around 22:00 - 01:00 but I wanted to play Mario so I have handheld mode a go and I love it! I play it while we are watching TV and just relaxing in the living room, I love the Switch but for me personally it can't compete for my attention as a home console for playing multi format games but has a handheld for Nintendo games its fantastic

So I was 100% TV mode but now I am 100% handheld mode
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

Re: Switch - How Do You Play?

Post by Cruizer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:40 am

One of my regrets with Zelda BotW now is how much of it I played in hand held mode. My favourite bit was the exploration in the initial part of the game where I went around activating all the towers to open up the map. I did all this in hand held mode which looked good, but I later found playing on the TV looked incredible and gave a greater sense of scale. By the time I started playing on the TV I had activated loads of shrines, so I could just get around by fast travel - I definitely felt like some of the charm of a colourful, large scale, open world adventure was lost by playing on a small screen.

So I'm playing as much Mario Odyssey on the TV as I can
"soylent green is people"

NNID: liam23

Post by swarf » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:16 am

Started in handheld mainly, but now mostly docked actually.
Currently Mainly Playing:
Switch: FIFA 18 and Rocket League

NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:57 am

Well I got my Switch in August, dock didn't even come out the box until Doom came out, since then I've been about 70/30 in favour of docked, I play it docked for a few days, then give it a charge/discharge cycle, not really sure why really. Great either way really.

NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:51 pm

I would say 60% on the TV and 40% on the screen.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Post by barriboy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:10 am

Prefer to play on TV in my toy room but as son on nights over lead up to Xmas playing mostly handheld at moment. Normally play TV during day but handheld during evening while watching tv with her indoors. Can't remember last time I played on PS4 since Arms, Splatoon and FIFA came out, and as getting Odyssey for Christmas it ain't likely to happen anytime soon.

NNID: Ballyzero

Post by ZeroJones » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:31 am

Very much mainly TV mode. I'm seeing it as a replacement for the Wii U and am treating it accordingly; also, as a small guy, I don't want to be carrying my £280 birthday present with a £50 game wedged inside only to have it stolen or lose it. The times it has been in handheld mode have mainly been in the house anyway!

NNID: TheFatPlumber
3DS Friend Code: 0920-1615-5762
Xbox Gamertag: Emerald Eagle
Steam ID: TheFatPlumber

Post by danbish » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:28 pm

Mainly docked.

Post by jawafour » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:22 am

I use the Switch mostly in portable mode but, even then, only whilst at home. I like to sit back on the sofa with the portable screen. I do use docked mode when I am playing online (Kart and Rocket League), though - I prefer to have the bigger screen and a Pro Controller for that scenario.

The different play options with the Switch are proving to be far more useful then I had thought they would!

Post by kerr9000 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:10 pm

Mostly play with it in my hand... If I am going to use the TV I mostly just grab the xbox one controller.