Mario Kart 9????

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
Cruizer

Mario Kart 9????

Post by Cruizer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:23 am

Ok so do you think we'll get Mario Kart 9 on the Switch*?

Mario Kart is a system seller, has been on every main Nintendo machine since the Snes, but we've also never been in the situation where we've had 2 physical copy releases of Mario Kart on the same machine. I'm slightly worried Mario Kart 8.5 which is a cash cow for Nintendo and could potentially be for the life of the Switch (I don't have any intention of purchasing MK8.5 right now, as I have it on the U) might be it.

If MK8 gets DLC in the form of additional tracks, I think that would probably be a bad sign :?

-------------------------------

Assuming we do get MK9 - What are people hoping for?

Personally I'd like more of the same, but even better with nicer graphics. Prior to MK8 (which in some ways is radically different to its predecessors) there was nver any pressure for mk to be innovative. My favourite MK is MK64 (basically because it was the first one I played), I just want stomp and go karts that handle and drive like cartoon karts and fun weapons. I'm still uneasy about motorbikes in my MK I certainly don't want Fox McCloud or Kirby showing up as some have speculated Mario Kart may go in a Smash Brothers direction.

*I know it's incredibly likely we will get MK9, but I was talking about this with a bigger Nintendo fan than who I love and he managed to half convince me we might not get one for the Switch
"soylent green is people"

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Re: Mario Kart 9????

Post by Vtheyoshi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:55 pm

honestly idk where the series will go gameplay wise, so hopefully they think of something new

I wouldnt mind more of the same as mk8, but i dont think that makes sense considering the last few entries

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:54 pm

I've always wanted to see see more complex tracks with multiple pathways. With Zero G there's a lot of room for creativity with this and MK 8 just barely touched upon the possibilities.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:24 pm

Mario Kart 9? Can’t see it happening now. After the success of the last entry and the plethora of characters it’ll just be ‘Nintendo Kart’. Mark my words.

And if they’re clever enough to jump on the smash bros bandwagon then they’ll go all-stars for the DLC and add third party characters.

It’ll still be the same ‘ole thing though. And I can’t see anti gravity really going anywhere. But if Nintendo really want to take this series to new places then they really have to start branching out their track locations to different series rather than relying on the familiar favourites and locations based on the same games from their series. Mario Kart 8 really took them places, and the DLC was wonderful, so a new Kart IP based on the same successful formula will rocket them forwards.

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:40 pm

Super Smash Kart....... To be honest I can very easily see it heading in this direction, the roster is already branching out into other Nintendo franchises.

For the next game I just want more of everything, more characters, more karts, more bikes and so on. Top of the list is more tracks though, maybe remake every single track they've done so far to give an insane amount of tracks, but maybe keep the cups for the new tracks and a selection of the classic tracks.

Kriken
FKA liberal
NNID: PhoenixVonKarma
Steam ID: Kriken

Post by Kriken » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Nintendo Kart or something better named doesn't sound too unlikely. Nintendo seem to be in a particularly innovative/mold-breaking mood at the moment.

The mention of Smash, and thinking of the way Sakurai handled Kid Icarus Uprising, makes me think that he would be the man for such a project. I would be happy to see him move away from Smash to helm such a successor to Mario Kart.

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Mario Kart All-Stars or Mario Kart Top 100

For the former, it is a game that includes equal Mario and other IP, but making sure everyone knows this is still the same classic series we've come to expect. It keeps the familiar name while saying it's branching out. That way, the next game can switch the Mario part for Nintendo, and it still remains in the conciousness as the same series.

Top 100 brings ten tracks from each game that didn't appear in MK8D, as well as bringing ten fan favourites from the base MK8 game, and eight tracks from the DLC. Twelve battle tracks also return from previous games. It would also test out a new cup structure of ten tracks per cup, set out in a triangle structure. The four bottom tracks are able to be played at the start, with each being picked by the player. Once a race has been completed, it can't be replayed to gain a better rank until the cup has been completed. Once all ten tracks of the cup have been played, the bonus track is able to be played that gives double points.

All we know for certain is that it will feature some sort of new feature. Oh, and character categories is a must if we get crossover characters again.

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:29 am

Bring back mission mode
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:19 am

Make the game good for a change.
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Post by GuitarHero » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:58 pm

As Mario Kart is developed by the same people who make ARMS and with the fact that there are going to be no more major content updates for ARMS, I suspect that their focus will be switching to a new Mario Kart. I imagine it'll be mid-late 2019

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:51 pm

Mario Kart is a name that sells - even if it does get more non-mario characters, it's going to be called Mario Kart

Chocolate-Milk
NNID: mcdain123
3DS Friend Code: 2148-9345-8376
PSN ID: mcdain123
Steam ID: mcdain123

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:47 am

Mario & Nintendo All Stars Karting, anyone?
das a peepo

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:01 am

It'll never be /that/ good

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:39 pm

cant see it happening on switch. mario kart on the snes is still my fav anyway

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:40 pm

Nintendo Kart would be great but it's highly likely there will be a MK9 with various Nintendo characters having a cameo appearance.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Post by Jezo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:56 pm

Thread wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:23 am
I want another Mario Kart and I want it to be better than the last one and have better graphics
Inspired
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Post by GuitarHero » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:04 pm

Jezo wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:56 pm
Thread wrote:
I want another Mario Kart and I want it to be better than the last one and have better graphics
Inspired
I mean I don't know what else you expect lol. People could talk about new mechanics and stuff, but don't know if it needs another gliding/underwater/anti-gravity thing.

DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:27 pm

That's why the mechanics don't get touched, unless it's a Double Dash mode - which now I come to think of it would be weird to see upgraded with the new mechanics.
New features is where the next game is going to have to shine. And that includes stuff like a new and improved mission mode or the return of the All-Cup Tour. I highly doubt it'll happen, but something like City Trial from Kirby Air Ride would be interesting to see as an extra mode that incorporates both battle stages and regular tracks.

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:28 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:51 pm
Mario Kart is a name that sells - even if it does get more non-mario characters, it's going to be called Mario Kart
That's a good point... the only downside for Nintendo is it also ties the series down too much. 8 branched out, but only post DLC - Nintendo need to make the game with these characters in the game next time, I don't want to be paying out for additional characters that I now consider should be a part of the main game.

I do think The suggestion of Mario Kart All-Stars is actually very feasible title (espeically considering 'all-stars' is used IN a platform Mario compilation game already, not to mention the excellent Sonic Racing game series - this needs a new entry in itself too), so it would work.

Either that or Nintendo will somehow as ever incorporate their console branding into the title in an un/inspiring way to suggest this... e.g.: Mario Kart Switch Up, Mario & All-Stars Switch Karting etc... etc...

Hell, thinking about it would it surprise anyone if the NEW mechanic was the ability to SWITCH Karts with other players mid-racing?

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:27 am

My first thought is I don't want Mario Kart over complicated and to move too far away from what MK64 was. But, I'll probably end up liking whatever we get gameplay wise, I wouldn't have said I'd like gliding, motorbikes or anti-gravity but it was all done really well (I don't mind the underwater sections in MK Wii - I just thought it was a bit pointless).

The thing I really, really don't want and will never warm to that's been mentioned in this thread a bunch of times is other characters from the Nintendo universe to be in MK. Samrus, Pikchu and Link etc are really out of tone in a Mario Karting game. I quite liked the animal crossing track, F-Zero and Zelda track as DLC in U, as a one-off but I wouldn't want it on the main game - we get 20 new tracks on each MK, I wouldn't want amongst those 20 for like about 5 of them to be Star Fox, Metroid or whatever outside of Mario.
"soylent green is people"

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:24 am

I don't mind not getting the F-Zero tracks in the next Mario Kart, despite them being some of the best tracks in MK8, as long as we get an actual F-Zero game on Switch.

DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:32 am

That's why crossover-specific cups get added to the roster for the main game, increasing the 16 new tracks to twenty. The same is done for the retro tracks [bringing four of the previous crossover tracks forward] so in total the main tracks roster is now at forty. No need to be touching the core roster at all. The same happens with the characters and karts as well, with new additions not being related to those franchises already present.
However, I can also see why some wouldn't want crossover to happen in the main game - since as DLC it's optional and special.

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:16 am

Do we really need a new Mario Kart on every system? It's just the same mediocre racing every time. The Switch has already got the port of 8. The Switch is also getting another needless Mario Tennis. I'm sure later there will be 2 Mario Parties, Mario Golf, Mario Ice Hockey, Mario Judges Strictly Come Dancing, and God knows what other copy-and-paste crap Nintendo puts Mario's face on to fill out a console lineup.
Last edited by RainbowGazelle on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:26 am

Top trolling

Mario Kart might not be for you but it's incredibly popular for a reason. MK8 is a fantastic game.

I'm also hoping for a return to form for Mario Tennis, the N64 original is brilliant.

Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Post by Jezo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:09 pm

GuitarHero wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:04 pm
Jezo wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:56 pm
Thread wrote:
Inspired
I mean I don't know what else you expect lol. People could talk about new mechanics and stuff, but don't know if it needs another gliding/underwater/anti-gravity thing.
Perhaps talk about mechanics you don't want to see return? Or what the next gimmick will be? I must admit I got baited by the title, I genuinely thought Mario Kart 9 had been rumoured or something. The quote was meant more for Cruizer.
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing