Fire Emblem Series - WE'VE GOT TROUBLE

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
Silver light

Fire Emblem Series - WE'VE GOT TROUBLE

Post by Silver light » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:44 pm

What is Fire Emblem?

Fire Emblem is a strategy role playing game series developed by Intelligent Systems, first making it's debut back in 1990 on the Famicom (although the west wouldn't see the series until 2003).

The Games

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light
Famicom || Released April 20, 1990 (JP) || Fantranslation available

The first Fire Emblem game, featuring Marth in his quest against the dark dragon, Medeus. Later remade as Shadow Dragon.

Fire Emblem Gaiden
Famicom || Released 14th March 1992 (JP) || Fantranslation available

The second game in the series, covering Alm and Celica's fight against the invading kingdom of Rigel. Set in the same world as the first game, but on a different continent. First game to feature an actual world map and branching promotion trees.

Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
Super Famicom || Released January 21, 1994 (JP) || Fantranslation available

Both a remake of and a direct sequel to the first game. Split into two "books", the first being the redone version of Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light, while the second was an all-new tale once again featuring Marth and the first game's cast. Book 2 was later remade as New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
Super Famicom || Released 14th May 1996 (JP) || Fantranslation available

Fourth game, following the story of Sigurd and his son Seliph. Introduced multiple new features, some of which would become series staples such as the weapon triangle, the trinity of magic and (later on in the series) skills. Others, such as it's huge maps and multiple castles to sieze would not, although the marriage system would later reappear in Awakening.

Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
Super Famicom || Released 1st September 1999 (JP) || Fantranslation available

Midquel set during the events of Genealogy of the Holy War starring one of that game's party members, Leif, as it's protagonist. First game in the series to have fog of war and the rescue command.

Fire Emblem: Binding Blade
Gameboy Advance || Released March 29, 2002 (JP) || Fantranslation available

First handheld game in the series, starring Roy (yes, that guy from Melee) as the continent of Elibe is slowly being conquered by the eastern kingdom of Bern. With his father Eliwood ill, it ends up falling upon him to help defend the kingdom of Lycia from the oncoming threat.

Fire Emblem (Blazing Sword)
Gameboy Advance || Released 25th April 2003 (JP), 3rd November 2003 (NA), 16th July 2004 (EU)

The first game in the series to be released in the west, where it was simply called "Fire Emblem". A prequel set roughly 20 years prior to Binding Blade, starring the lead trio of Eliwood, Lyndis and Hector as they investigate the disappearance of Eliwood's father. First game in the series to feature an avatar-like character, although they weren't playable. Prolly has the longest tutorial section of any Fire Emblem game. Also later released on the Wii U virtual console, making it by far the easiest Fire Emblem to actually get your hands on.

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Gameboy Advance || Released 7th October 2004 (JP), 23rd May 2005 (NA), 4th November 2005 (EU)

The sole Fire Emblem game to not be linked to any others by setting/story, Sacred Stones follows twins Princess Eirika and Prince Ephraim in the aftermath of a surprise invasion by their country's longtime ally, the Grado Empire, as they struggle to explain both Grado's actions and the sudden appearance of monsters in the lands of their continent, Magvel. Brought back Gaiden's branching promotion tree and world map systems, although neither would reappear yet again after until Awakening. Skills also returned, having been missing from the first two GBA entries. Was one of the ambassador games given to early 3DS purchasers, later also joining Blazing Sword as a Wii U VC title.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Gamecube || Released 20th April 2005 (JP), 17th October 2005 (NA), 4th November 2005 (EU)

The first 3D Fire Emblem. Also the only one so far to not feature a blue blooded character as it's protagonist, instead featuring the young mercenary Ike as his father's mercenary group gets tangled into the conflict created by Daein's invasion of it's neighbour, Crimea. Set in the continent of Tellius, it also introduced the Laguz, a race of character who could shapeshift into various animals. Easily the most expensive western FE release to try and buy.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Wii || Released 22nd February 2007 (JP), 11th November 2007 (NA), 14th March 2008 (EU)

Direct sequel set three years after the events of Path of Radiance, featuring the Dawn Brigade and their leader, Micaiah, as they try to fight against the Begnion oppression in Daein. The only game in the series to have third tier classes and actual terrain height variation in maps. Data from Path of Radiance could be carried over into the game, giving characters extra bonuses and some additional dialogue.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
DS || Released 7th August 2008 (JP), 16th February 2009 (NA), 5th December 2008 (EU)

Remake of the first Fire Emblem. Added a new prologue, side chapters and (now unavailable) online features. Introduced class changing. Also has a Wii U VC release.

Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow
DS || Released 15th July 2010 (JP) || Fantranslation available

Remake of Mystery of the Emblem's Book 2. First game in the series to have casual mode (no permadeath) and the first to have a playable avatar character.

Fire Emblem Awakening
3DS || Released 19th April 2012 (JP), 4th February 2013 (NA), 19th April 2013 (EU)

The most recent game, set across the continents of Archanea and Valm roughly 2,000 years after last appearances (in Mystery of the Emblem and Gaiden respectively) as Prince Chrom of Ylisse strives to keep the peace of his country. Something of a "greatest hits of Fire Emblem" some ways, it mixes together multiple ideas from previous games, such as the marriage system, the world map and the avatar. It also introduced the pair up system. The best selling Fire Emblem by some distance. (Fates happened)

Fire Emblem Fates
3DS || Released 25th June 2015 (JP), 19th February 2016 (NA), 20th May 2016 (EU)

Revealed in Jan 2015 Nintendo Direct, Fates has more of an eastern influence mixed into the traditional medieval Fire Emblem setting. Supposedly has a greater focus on choice making than previous games, too.

Releasing in two versions, one for each kingdom's story (Hoshido and Nohr). The other kingdom's story will be available as discounted DLC, as will a third story route. Avatar character is the Lord this time around.

Weapon durability has been removed, with weapons having been given their own individual strengths and weakness to be considered instead. The weapon triangle has also been tweaked to now include bows, magic and knives as well. Also adds a base-building mode, "My Castle".

Other Stuff

So i want to get into this series. Which game should i start with?

Fire Emblem Awakening would be a good choice, being both the most recent and most casual-friendly of all the localised Fire Emblems. Fire Emblem (7/Blazing Blade) would also be a good shout, thanks to it's easy availability compared to the others and extended tutorial.

Might be some mistakes. May or may not add some fancy images to this later. Dunno.
Last edited by Silver light on Sun May 22, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 27 times in total.

swarf
NNID: liam23

Re: Fire Emblem Series Thread of tactical waifu wars

Post by swarf » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Great thread, never got into the series but Awakening is on my wishlist 8-)
Currently Mainly Playing:
Switch: Arms and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:29 pm

When is Waifu Wars General going up rather than these rinky-dink series specific ones?
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

Garf
NNID: Garfsona
PSN ID: GarfGuy
Steam ID: garfield069

Post by Garf » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:38 pm

We gotta build up hype for the main event with these small ones.

I've played Awakening and a bit of Sacred Stones, both of which are amazing
And does anyone do waifu seriously?

Lon'qu for top tier husbando, I will fight anyone who says otherwise

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:39 pm

Already made my superior FE waifu known.

But this is now a Gregor thread. Discuss.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

TamzehVB
NNID: RedGuard587
3DS Friend Code: 068855986231

Post by TamzehVB » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:42 pm

Lucina's definitely one of the best units if Chrom marries someone with at least one mage reclass option. I've currently got her as a Dark Knight on one of my files, and she fits the role admirably. Being able to use the Parallel Falchion certainly helps.

And Henry is best husbando.
Still looking to get into Pathfinder RPG
Sig by LightSamus
Inane Ramblings

Yirba
NNID: Yirba3
3DS Friend Code: 5069-3911-2111
PSN ID: Yirba
Xbox Gamertag: Yirba
Steam ID: Yirba

Post by Yirba » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:44 pm

I could never get into the Fire Emblem series as I don't find the story very interesting, but Marth is best girl. I like playing as her in Smash Bros..
【Twitter】
Three-time inductee into the ONM Hall of Fame! (ONM32, ONM37, ONM40)
Join the visual novel reading club!
<adamguy> yirba is one of those users that fascinates me like few do

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:44 pm

I stand by my choice.

Also, Sacred Stones might also be a good starting point since that's on 3DS VC and was a free ambassador game way back when.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Fire Emblem is one of those games I used to enjoy immensely because it felt knew to me. Really loved the Blazing Sword. But overall I'm not too fond of the series. I'm more of an Advance Wars person.

Silver light

Post by Silver light » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:50 pm

TamzehVB wrote:Lucina's definitely one of the best units if Chrom marries someone with at least one mage reclass option. I've currently got her as a Dark Knight on one of my files, and she fits the role admirably. Being able to use the Parallel Falchion certainly helps.
...I hate to be that guy, but...Dark Knight? Lucina? Why? Her base magic stat is absolute trash, iirc.
Aren142 wrote:I stand by my choice.
I thought your waifu was Nephenee.

TamzehVB

Post by TamzehVB » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:52 pm

Silver light wrote:
TamzehVB wrote:Lucina's definitely one of the best units if Chrom marries someone with at least one mage reclass option. I've currently got her as a Dark Knight on one of my files, and she fits the role admirably. Being able to use the Parallel Falchion certainly helps.
...I hate to be that guy, but...Dark Knight? Lucina? Why? Her base magic stat is absolute trash, iirc.
To be honest, it's only so she can get Lifetaker. Once that's done, I'll reclass her to Dark Flier so she can get Galeforce.
Sig by LightSamus
Inane Ramblings

Adam
NNID: PKPikmin
3DS Friend Code: 0259-0307-5153
Steam ID: Adammit

Post by Adam » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:54 pm

liberal wrote:Fire Emblem is one of those games I used to enjoy immensely because it felt knew to me. Really loved the Blazing Sword. But overall I'm not too fond of the series. I'm more of an Advance Wars person.
We should get some SONM Advance Wars By Web going sometime.
Sasha best girl. Grit and Colin best COs.
And yes, Lucina is best Awakening waifu.

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Silver light wrote:
Aren142 wrote:I stand by my choice.
I thought your waifu was Nephenee.
We've been over this. Neph's just a warm up or on the side thing. Ilyana's the business.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

Weejus

Post by Weejus » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:08 pm

Top waifu pictured.
You're welcome.
(Formerly Marioman5000 on ONM)

KameRule
NNID: KameRule
3DS Friend Code: 3711-7313-4406

Post by KameRule » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:13 am

I laugh at you all.
"Mike, that computer is actually a time machine, and inside is ADOLF HITLER!"

Meowmix
NNID: Parablegreg
Xbox Gamertag: Parablegreg

Post by Meowmix » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:34 pm

Really like FE.

Really hate most of the fanbase.

Standard. FE6 is best FE.

goldenmushroom

Post by goldenmushroom » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:05 am

Really liked the ones I have played so far, a pity most of them are costly.
The Best
also Olivia best awakening

Weejus

Post by Weejus » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:10 am

goldenmushroom wrote:Really liked the ones I have played so far, a pity most of them are costly.
The Best
also Olivia best awakening
Lilac hair isn't nice. Not the best waifu, then. Olivia's ok though.

Bix
NNID: Wiitabix
3DS Friend Code: 5429-6832-2984
PSN ID: Deadspace-Maniac
Steam ID: Deadspacemaniac

Post by Bix » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:31 pm

So Fire Emblem Awakening was our 2nd best game ever (as voted by ONM'ers) .. thats good I say, what say you ?
Wishing my SONM friends a very happy & successful Q3 in gaming
TIME !

TamzehVB

Post by TamzehVB » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:02 pm

Bix wrote:So Fire Emblem Awakening was our 2nd best game ever (as voted by ONM'ers) .. thats good I say, what say you ?
At least it's not Brawl, that's for sure.

Really though, while there are games I'd rather have at number 2, I can't deny that Awakening is a fantastic experience regardless. Which reminds me, I need to get back into it at some point and make Lucina even more overpowered...
Sig by LightSamus
Inane Ramblings

goldenmushroom

Post by goldenmushroom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Weejus wrote:Lilac hair isn't nice. Not the best waifu, then. Olivia's ok though.
Poor taste in hair colour

Weejus

Post by Weejus » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:49 pm

Happy that Awakening got the #2 spot. It deserves it.

Silver light

Post by Silver light » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:14 pm

So, yesterday's direct's reveal for the next Fire Emblem (named as Fire Emblem if in Japan).

The reveal had some pretty interesting things in it, with Serenes having done an analysis of the trailer. The most immidiately notable thing in the trailer was the increased eastern influence, which is seemingly being pitted against FE's traditional more medieval trappings, which seems pretty interesting. Given the talk of more important choices, the title and the presence of at least two clearly defined groups present, i wonder if we're gonna be chosing who to align with at some point.

Oh, and i'd bet money that the dancer is some goddess/royal blood/otherwise super duper important figure.

Inb4 someone claims dancer/maid/whoever as their new waifu
Last edited by Silver light on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:27 pm

Not got round to watching the Direct yet but the news that there's a new FE on the way is very much hype all the same, probably second only to the MonHan news. Is it following on from Awakening in any way or is it entirely new?
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

TamzehVB

Post by TamzehVB » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:32 pm

I'm really loving the Japanese influences in the weapon and location designs, and would really like to see some of that carry over into the inhabitants of the setting (which I assume to be new). Also, if Mysterious Dancer Girl is anything to go by, there's some Arabian/Middle-Eastern influence there too. So overall, I think it's looking pretty good, and I'm excited to see what else they have lined up for it.
Silver light wrote:Inb4 someone claims dancer/maid/whoever as their new waifu
This is the internet. It's probably a bit too late to say that. Besides, there are far superior waifus out there.
Sig by LightSamus
Inane Ramblings