Super Smash Bros general discussion

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
Dig Dug

Re: Super Smash Bros general discussion

Post by Dig Dug » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:34 am

If we are talking about tournaments we've been to recently I went to 4 last week in Tokyo.
The 128 man Tokyo University of Science Tournament - Won by Abadango (mewtwo), I went 0-2.
56 man tournament at Sophia University, I went 0-2, grand finals was a link ditto.
Waseda University festival, 128 players, won by Earth (pit), I went 1-2.
Battle Gateway 13 Melee, ~90 players, hosted by aMSa (yoshi) who won the tournament, I went 1-8 in games (8 of them were best of 1).

The popularity of the two games in Japan and the standard of play are far above the UK average. They're really great though, where you place doesn't even matter that much because the good players like to find random people to play with between tournament games. Love of the game comes before anything else in the Japanese scene, that's the impression I got anyway.

Meowmix
NNID: Parablegreg
Xbox Gamertag: Parablegreg

Post by Meowmix » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:51 am

Wish I had as much opportunity in my part of Asia for Smash.

I've been to some meet-ups for Smash in Shanghai, but I live in a city a few hours away and I work over all their meeting days. I missssss Smash 4.

Kriken
FKA liberal
NNID: PhoenixVonKarma
Steam ID: Kriken

Post by Kriken » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:59 pm

Just got back from Trafford Centre Melee, a Melee singles/doubles tourney.

Narrowly didn't make it out of pools. Was in the lead of the last game - of the deciding set - vs a Puff from my region, died at a high percent and then got rested trying to grab him. It was the first set he's ever taken off me and he popped off. It was a surprise but I actually didn't really feel anything. In the past - quite in a bit in the past I guess - that might have gotten me down a bit.

But getting to that position in the first place, where I was close to getting out of pools, made me feel alright enough about my performance considering my mentality was a bit shot (no johns though - I did play alright). That and I was feeling a little worn out anyway, and was pleased for him. Think he went 2-2 in bracket which is probably about as well as I would have done. Might not even have done well as that. I really doubt I would have done better.

Got 3rd place in doubles though, which was a nice surprise. Definitely think we could have gotten 2nd too. Think this was the first time I actually reached a position at a tournament where I placed in the money, but I forgot to pick up my winnings. It would have been only a little over the tournament fee anyway.

Now I will be taking a break of sorts. Possibly one that will lead to me being done with Smash competitively.

Had been making more of an effort to travel for events and play locally recently, but I'm experiencing something of a burnout. Feeling worn out, lacking focus and generally not being too happy. Life stuff/work schedule not really helping the motivation. I've also just been wondering if I'm cut out for all of this.

So for the time being I'm not going to anything out of region, or attend any sessions locally/ask around for friendlies. Not that I practiced much at home but I will pretty much be leaving my setup alone. Don't feel like it at all. I will probably attend the local fortnightlies providing I don't have a super-early shift the following day. Just to hang around with the guys, and play a little bit since I still like the game, but I'll likely just go secondaries.

On a side note I have been liking how my Fox has been coming along. On the odd occasion I used him in tournament it didn't tend to go too well - the matches would be close but I'd lose them all. But this time my Fox actually took a game and did so much more decisively than my Marth. Wouldn't say it's better now at all but it's slowly getting there. Also increasingly noticing and appreciating a lot of the busted options he has.

I think if I go serious again I'll be playing a bit more of him, and chances are I'll be drawn in again at some point.

Sabrofra
NNID: GameBoySam
3DS Friend Code: 2406-5595-5668
Steam ID: Sabrofra

Post by Sabrofra » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:42 am

I got 9th at SmashDash today. By far my worst placing in a Northern tournament ever since April. I choked against Lucretio both games we played. I had the lead against his Rob and Toon Link and I just choked and as a result was knocked into losers. I then had to face Scr7 in losers round 2 and he managed to 2-0 me as I suck ass in the Fox MU as Diddy, and I SD'd game 2 whilst playing as Mario. I feel a genuine issue with my playstyle is that I play way too impatiently and it is something I definitely need to work on.

This poor result has solidified my place as 3rd in North England, Scr7 is more than likely going to be 2nd, as he has managed to take 5 sets against me this season just using Fox. Genuinely frustrated.

On the plus side I managed to win doubles, so that's something I guess.

Dig Dug

Post by Dig Dug » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:34 am

You've lost to him 5 times? Better learn Ryu :^)

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:39 pm

Would anyone like to battle today???

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:24 pm

check this troggy

in the year 2k17, man has finally ascended, the quadruple d3 has been found

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Post by Jezo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 am

Apparently the wiimote and nunchuk is the best controller for smash 4 for various reasons, so I'm gonna try test some of it. My wiimote adapter for wii u should be arriving today.
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:16 pm

Jezo wrote:wiimote adapter for wii u
?

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Side note, if the Joy-Cons are comfortable I might use them for Smash 4 Switch lol. The recent leak for the Hori Controller looked pretty cool too. Also seems like it will be wired which is a plus.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

Jezo

Post by Jezo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Kriken wrote:
Jezo wrote:wiimote adapter for wii u
?
So I can use my wiimote on wii u. It works great. Only a fiver too.

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:45 pm

(they changed the name of the mod to 4XM shortly after releasing this trailer)

Saw this a few days ago and installed it yesterday. It's far from perfect but it is still in beta. The movement is nice. Still need to play around with combos but I feel as if it's still too floaty. That said I don't know how long I'll bother with it. Might bring it to a local and see if we can have some fun with it.

For the most part they have reverted all the movesets from characters in Melee, including completely reverting characters like Roy. Bit of a different design philosophy to Project M which only copied movesets from viable Melee characters.

Anyway, if anyone else here has this or is planning on getting it then I imagine it'd work online like other smash 4 mods I've heard of, so we could play around with it. Seems unlikely, though I do recall some people here expressing interest in mods for this game so who knows.

H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:03 pm

I just wanna know how Wii Fit Trainer plays in this mod lol >,> Is it a difficult process to install? Might consider doing it.
Twitter

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:41 pm

Not at all. You can find out here.

Jezo

Post by Jezo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Ye looks sick from what I've seen so far. Definitely a step in the right direction. Will wait for the big 3.0 update.

H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:26 pm

so I watched some clips of WFT in this and I kinda need to try this now. But like Jezo, I think I might wait till it's more stable and less jank lol >,>
Twitter