New 3DS And New 3DS XL

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
row101
NNID: row101
3DS Friend Code: Hello world.
PSN ID: Why are you reading?
Xbox Gamertag: Why am I typing?
Steam ID: Why are we alive?

Re: New 3DS vs New 3DS XL

Post by row101 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:07 pm

euan707 wrote:
OrangeRakoon wrote:The DS before it lasted 7 years before it was succeeded, and the 3DS has been around since 2011. I'd expect another few years of life at least.
Plus the DSi appeared 4 years into its life, so maybe this is the equivelent...
Yeah, I'd be surprised if they released another 3DS iteration. I can see them waiting until 2017 for a new console, or alternatively they might release a New 2DS next year or something.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - George Washington

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:51 pm

If you're not bothered about the prices, go for the XL.

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:19 pm

i've still not decided but i really need to decide so i can order for friday, love the bigger screens of the xl but love the look of the white normal one and the changeable plates
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

Dstryr
NNID: Dstryr
3DS Friend Code: 3067-4452-0399

Post by Dstryr » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:03 pm

RichardUK wrote:i've still not decided but i really need to decide so i can order for friday, love the bigger screens of the xl but love the look of the white normal one and the changeable plates
GAME have demo units in most stores, if its possible you should try them out before hand.

Dstryr

Post by Dstryr » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:45 am

Nintendo store have shipped my unit out for delivery tomorrow via DPD. Very excited to get it early as MH4U arrived this morning.

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:26 am

well i have made up my mind to go with the standard one, after reading these comments on a game site
To compare the hard numbers, the New 3DS XL's top screen has a pixel density of 171 pixels-per-inch whereas the New 3DS's top screen has a pixel density of 215 pixels-per-inch.

This means you'll see a greater number of jagged edges when playing games on the New 3DS XL as the image stretches to fill the larger screen, and we found that turning on the glasses-free 3D made them even more prominent on nearly every game we played
i want all games to look as good as they can
We've already mentioned that the New 3DS XL doesn't support cover plates, but that's not the only part of its design that separates it from its smaller cousin. Whereas the New 3DS has a completely matt plastic chassis, the New 3DS XL only has a matt plastic interior. Instead, its front and rear panels have a glossy finish, which makes it look more attractive out of the box, but much harder to clean once you've started using it.

No matter how hard we tried, our New 3DS XL was constantly marred by smeary fingerprints, which just made it look perpetually grubby compared to our pristine New 3DS. It also didn't provide nearly as much grip when gaming for long periods of time, as its glossy rear felt positively oily compared to the New 3DS's smoother matt chassis. In our eyes, this makes the New 3DS a much more classy object to behold, as it's not only less toy-like compared to its big brother, but it also looks like a more stylish, modern piece of hardware.
i have had a black wii u and now i have a white wii u and the difference in terms of how clean they look is massive, the black wii u gamepad i was conestly cleaning yet there was always marks and smears where as the white one looks great all the time and it seems its the same with the white new 3ds compared with the blue and black xls
The fan-pleasing SNES-themed ABXY buttons also have slightly different colouring on each console, as the New 3DS XL only has red, blue, green and yellow lettering. The New 3DS, on the other hand, has full-blown coloured buttons, which once again makes the New 3DS the more eye-catching of the two consoles.
i love the classic looking snes buttons
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

Dark nemisis
NNID: DarkNemisis

Post by Dark nemisis » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:49 pm

I have preordered the late Majora's mask edition from Nintendo so I won't be getting my console until April. It took me an age to decide which version I wanted and I had similar issues to you. I really like the changing faceplate idea but, like the amiibo effect, I'd end up spending £50+ for just faceplates and not all face plates would work with the 3DS colour I choose. I'd love changing the face plates and getting to swap them out however a special edition 3DS XL is just as appealing to me. I'm sure I'll regret buying a new 3DS XL when an amazing cover comes out as there are some I already want, however I am paying no extra for the special edition, it is gold AND has a Majora's Mask design of all games!

I looked at lots of reviews and changed my mind a lot. Ultimately it came down to just a few things. I love the standard size, I've never seen it or held it in person but the images and descriptions make it sound great, best console in the world. So why did I go for the XL? Well even though the standard size is amazing and most reviewers preferred it (including the entire office at, I think it was, Nintendo life) I still see the XL as an upgrade. I'm going to curse over no easy access to the Micro SD card and massively miss the coloured buttons, more than most. But when it comes down to it, the main reason I am even buying the new console is for the integrated 'second' thumb tab. And in the XL version there will physically be more space to use it. My adult hands will more comfortably fit the larger console, and moving from a current XL will be easier to adjust. Although I admit that the slightly larger screens of the standard version make it ideal and everything about it is amazing; I can't justify to myself buying it. The adjustable plates actually make it just as bulky as the XL and the contrast suffers due to the close proximity of the pixels. The XL, although stretched and jagged makes for a deeper picture quality, although pretty eton mess at times. I'd prefer a larger screen than a smaller high density 'contrast bright' screen.

I picked up my original Cosmos Black 3DS and played it for a while along with my current 3DS to help me decide. And in all honesty, the thing was like a calculator. the screen was super small, the controls hurt and it was bulky and heavy. It did look a lot clearer but the new version will dissipate the super sharpness, because of the larger screens, to look.... standard.

I don't play the console on the go anymore and haven't done for some years. I recently bought an iPhone 6 plus and the same effect happens. Going back to an iphone 5 or 6 looks ridiculous simply because of how small everything is. I know that the novelty will wear off and you can very easily get used to a smaller screen. But I can rest my mind with a larger screen and be happy with it, not wishing for any more. Also, if I went from my phone to 3DS I would think is was a cheap toy and rather have the games on a home console.

I have to admit, Ironically, I didn't want an iPhone 6 plus, I was getting a 6 and it worked out at the same price so I reckoned that the resale would be worth more when I come to sell it.

Ultimately, although I love the standard edition and think that Nintendo have finally hit the nail on the 3DS family head. My younger self would most definitely be over the moon with the standard edition but the XL version suits me a lot more now. Saying that, I'd be most happy with either version if it was a gift :mrgreen:

I have got a couple of months still to decide since my preorder will still be in place then. I'm planning on trying the consoles in-store before deciding. I hope this helps anybody struggling to decide, I realise it's not a very solid decision but it suits me.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:18 pm

My New 3DS and Majora's Mask 3D are getting delivered tomorrow apparently, from the text I got B)

Ash
NNID: Ash_Harrison1
PSN ID: Ash_Harrison1
Steam ID: FightAshFight

Post by Ash » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:59 pm

Currently, I'm probably going to pick up the standard N3DS, as I don't like the look of any of the n3DS XLs available right now. However, if there's a Special Edition XL that I like the look of released before I can afford one, I'll pick that up when I can.

swarf
NNID: liam23

Post by swarf » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:21 pm

So jealous of anyone who is getting there's this week...can't afford it :cry:
Currently Mainly Playing:
Switch: Arms and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:05 am

Mine arrived about half an hour ago, and I now have skull kid sat on my desk B)

Can't play while I'm at work though!

Dstryr

Post by Dstryr » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:12 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:Mine arrived about half an hour ago, and I now have skull kid sat on my desk B)

Can't play while I'm at work though!
I know the feeling my white n3ds just sitting in a box on my desk T_T

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:38 pm

Is it possible to transfer data from an 8gb SD to a 16gb Micro SD or do they have to be the same size?
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

Spilskinanka
Steam ID: Spilskinanka

Post by Spilskinanka » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:58 pm

Dunno what the battery life is like on these new things but that's by far the best thing about my normal 3DSXL so just keep that in mind
WeAreHarbinger: who cates aobut jnvidoe ngmajesj

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:05 pm

The battery's meant to last somewhere between half an hour and two hours (i think) longer depending on how much work it's doing iirc
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

Ash
NNID: Ash_Harrison1
PSN ID: Ash_Harrison1
Steam ID: FightAshFight

Post by Ash » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:17 pm

That's the one thing I'm going to miss when I upgrade. I've got an extended battery for my 3DS atm that gives me 12-15 hours playtime per charge, so anything less than that is going to seem terrible now.

Majin_Nephets
NNID: Majin_Nephets
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8667-3978

Post by Majin_Nephets » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:24 pm

Just another month or two until my Majora's Mask nXL arrives...
PM me if you decide to add me on 3DS or Wii U

Fisher
NNID: fisher87
3DS Friend Code: 1263-9353-5749

Post by Fisher » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:36 pm

won't be buying the new 3ds this week and don't have the money for it.
come to my world and i will project you from bad souls and I'm the ninja pirate master.

New 3DS XL FC is 1263-9353-5749 If you add me then please PM me

Floex

Post by Floex » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:09 pm

First impressions ImageImageImageImageImage

Got the regular black version, looks incredible stylish. Initially was abit unimpressed with the 3D, it wasn't until I had on the Xl that I saw just how good it actually is, no more ghosting when moving \o/ Even the packaging is a work of art.The SNES style buttons are just the icing on the cake. Feels so much more lighter than the Xl and feels so much better for it. Haven't had the chance to play anything yet as I'm doing the transfer but I couldn't be more happy with the upgrade.

Chocolate-Milk
NNID: mcdain123
3DS Friend Code: 2148-9345-8376
PSN ID: mcdain123
Steam ID: mcdain123

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:35 am

H.Kazuhira wrote:Is it possible to transfer data from an 8gb SD to a 16gb Micro SD or do they have to be the same size?
Anything greater or equal to the original is fine (apart from SDXC, but that's irrelevant), just copy the 3DS folder over and you're golden.
das a peepo

Spindash

Post by Spindash » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:54 am

Might see if there are any demo units in the shops this weekend. There is no major reason why I need to spend £80-odd on another version of a console I already have, but if the 3D improvement is that good...

stevo26

Post by stevo26 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:22 pm

got mine also
i just did the system transfere and all went well,
screens are alot better but how do you turn wifi off and on? thers no slider switch, it just seems to be constantly on

Chocolate-Milk

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:44 pm

You can turn it off from the Home menu, if I remember the Direct video correctly.
das a peepo

stevo26

Post by stevo26 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:19 pm

ah yes found it thanks man :)
so everyone enjoying the new system? im very supprised at how stiff the 2nd stick is, it doesnt move lol
the biggest thing for me is the vastly improved screen,this is what it should have been like from the start

Chocolate-Milk

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:22 pm

The C-Stick isn't supposed to move, it's more of a slider/touchpad deal.
das a peepo