Nintendo Switch - Out now!

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.

Neon or Grey?

Neon
42%
Grey
58%

Total votes: 26

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Re: Nintendo NX - New Hardware, Dedicated Game System

Post by DarkRula » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:44 am

To be honest, that would be an interesting name. The Nintendo 7. They'd only have to have the logo and a 7.

In terms of the next console though, at what point do Nintendo stop with the backward compatibilty? When the WiiU came out, it was backwards compatibile with the Wii. Any Gamecube functionality had gone. It was only a minimal loss. Losing the Wii on a potential WiiU backward compatibilty? No. A whole host of games would just fall flat. And it would be impossible... Well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but it would remove a number of multiplayer options from most games, and full gameplay from others.
And that's just it. At what point do stop overcomplicating backward compatibility and just remove it? Now yes, you could say Nintendo realises people will have these controllers already and so backward compatibilty should be included, but if Nintendo do that, they will still feel compelled to use those controllers in new games. See the point? It might be good from a multiplayer standpoint, but eventually there will be so many controllers that it would get all too much.
What they could do is take the WiiU Pro controller, add proper triggers, rebrand it to the new console, and also allow WiiU Pro controllers to be compatible. Or they could just carry the Wii stuff over, and make a new add-on to the remote for a true control experience.
I really have no idea what might happen.

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:33 am

DarkRula wrote:It might be good from a multiplayer standpoint, but eventually there will be so many controllers that it would get all too much.
There already are too many controllers! :lol:

But I think Nintendo will continue to keep the backwards compatibility function in each new iteration. However, we must remember that the NX is the "Third pillar" in Nintendo's console line-up, neither replacing the Wii U or the 3DS. Although, like many theorised when NX was announced, I do believe Nintendo may merge both handhelds and home consoles sometime in the future, thus getting rid of backwards compatibility as the cross platform functionality would take priority. Of course, that depends on the success of NX and how it's cross functionality actually works, and at the same time, it would only be an experiment, most likely not working or appealing to consumers in it's first couple of years, and therefore will probably repeat failed launch of Wii U.

This is all just theory mind, and knowing Nintendo they will do something completely different

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:32 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the NX had no backwards compatibility, the Wii U (as did the Wii & GC) uses PPC and from the sounds of it IBM aren't to keen on making future PPC chips ( I'm sure I read an article somewhere (can't find it though) that seemed to imply IBM were cutting back on PowerPC chips) so that may well force the NX down the X86 route the PS4/Xbox One are currently using. This would make it harder to support backwards compatibility (but not impossible), this is probably why the PS4/Xbox One aren't backwards compatible with their previous offerings.

I'm not sure what I would like to see regarding controllers, the pro controller is great, I just feel for future consoles it would have to have analogue triggers as opposed to digital which it currently has.

row101
NNID: row101
3DS Friend Code: Hello world.
PSN ID: Why are you reading?
Xbox Gamertag: Why am I typing?
Steam ID: Why are we alive?

Post by row101 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:20 pm

SupaWaluigi wrote: This is all just theory mind
A game theory!
Thank you.

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:52 pm

If it does indeed use a different chip, then it will mean Nintendo maybe adding a bit more grunt to the console. I'm sure they'd be able to get the controllers working with the new console even without the backwards compatibility. If it is a hybrid console, then I would assume both the WiiU and 3DS would be able to work with it in some way.

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:43 pm

DarkRula wrote:If it does indeed use a different chip, then it will mean Nintendo maybe adding a bit more grunt to the console. I'm sure they'd be able to get the controllers working with the new console even without the backwards compatibility. If it is a hybrid console, then I would assume both the WiiU and 3DS would be able to work with it in some way.
Yes I would have thought controllers would be easy to get working cross gen despite the potentially different architecture of the console. I think Nintendo must know the NX needs more power and similar architecture to the PS5/Xbox Two to try and get two of the reasons third parties use out of the way (lack of power and hard to develop for) for the NX. Nintendo is doing a great job supporting the Wii U but the NX will need third parties if it wants to compete with the next gen competition.

DekuHero
NNID: Deathbringer2206
PSN ID: Deathbringer2206
Xbox Gamertag: Ghostface2206
Steam ID: Deathbringer2206

Post by DekuHero » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:30 pm

Honestly they should give the Wii U a few more years and then make the most powerful console they can make, lets not beat around the bush here, the reason the Wii U has almost no 3rd party support is down to inferior hardware that not many developers can be asked to invest money in to port their games over to. It's the same mistake they made with the Wii when you think about it.

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

What Do You Want From The Nintendo NX

Post by RichardUK » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:56 pm

with Reggie saying that the NX is the next home console, what do you hope for from it ?

i was hoping for a new handheld console as well as i think the 3ds has had its time now, or maybe it will be both but not sure how that would work
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Re: What Do You Want From The Nintendo NX

Post by Nofes » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:29 pm

killer app at launch or i wait
Bucket

Balladeer

Post by Balladeer » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:34 pm

With apologies to RichardUK, this seems to be the longer standing NX topic, so. (Also apologies to the 81/2 posts above me I haven't read.)

What do I want from the NX, then? Well, a handheld for starters. Oh, looks like that's not going to happen. :roll:

Other than that, more power to create bigger more seamless worlds, no current-generation games where the required controllers need bloody AA batteries, some new thing I didn't know I wanted until Nintendo told me, and a proper new Metroid game please!
Member of the affiliated GNamer forum!

Kriken
FKA liberal
NNID: PhoenixVonKarma
Steam ID: Kriken

Post by Kriken » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:45 pm

I want it to be reasonably priced and have a good lineup of games. Pretty typical things to want.

I have a good-ish feeling about the console and I think Nintendo have learnt from the mistakes they made with the Wii U.

Realistically though, I'm probably getting it regardless, unless it looks really bad and is stupidly expensive, which I doubt it will be. And in that scenario I'm pretty much out of the market when it comes to future consoles.

Bix
NNID: Wiitabix
3DS Friend Code: 5429-6832-2984
PSN ID: Deadspace-Maniac
Steam ID: Deadspacemaniac

Post by Bix » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:50 pm

See I ask myself what would improve the Wii U and improve its position in the marketplace?

Mostly things that aren't technological advancements:

More 3rd party support
Easier for folks to make a Nintendo port of their game and one that looks and feels exactly the same as the other versions
Some main stream marketing (not shed loads but some would be good)

A killer thing and something that would have been a money maker is a truly portable gamepad. How neat would it be to have complete access to the home console and complete portability at the same time?
Wishing my SONM friends a very happy & successful Q3 in gaming
TIME !

Balladeer

Post by Balladeer » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Bix wrote:A killer thing and something that would have been a money maker is a truly portable gamepad. How neat would it be to have complete access to the home console and complete portability at the same time?
Almost impossible, I'd have thought, unless they go full hybrid. The Gamepad as it stands streams from the Wii U, so either there has to be a maximum distance from one to the other, or all the tech. has to be contained in the controller. In that case, there's an obvious power limitation (and I'd imagine heating problems), which would make that "more third party support" wish almost inaccessible.

That said, part of me still thinks they will go full hybrid. I hope I'm wrong.

RichardUK

Post by RichardUK » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:31 pm

More third party support would be great but i don't know how Nintendo can get non Nintendo gamers to buy a Nintendo console, what do non Nintendo fans want from a console ? the answer may be that it would end up being the same as a PlayStation or Xbox, if i was Nintendo i would really not know what direction to go in, i suppose there will be lots of Nintendo fans that dont own a Wii U so maybe a console that appeals to the Nintendo fan core could succeed where the Wii U has failed and that may been not trying to be so innovative and going for a "normal" controller with a powerful console

Nintendo is still seen by some people as being for children and its something i don't think they will be able to shake, the handheld market is a area where Nintendo dominate so id of thought a new handheld would be in the pipeline for 2016 or 2017 at the latest

swarf
NNID: liam23

Post by swarf » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:36 pm

RichardUK wrote:More third party support would be great but i don't know how Nintendo can get non Nintendo gamers to buy a Nintendo console, what do non Nintendo fans want from a console ? the answer may be that it would end up being the same as a PlayStation or Xbox, if i was Nintendo i would really not know what direction to go in, i suppose there will be lots of Nintendo fans that dont own a Wii U so maybe a console that appeals to the Nintendo fan core could succeed where the Wii U has failed and that may been not trying to be so innovative and going for a "normal" controller with a powerful console

Nintendo is still seen by some people as being for children and its something i don't think they will be able to shake, the handheld market is a area where Nintendo dominate so id of thought a new handheld would be in the pipeline for 2016 or 2017 at the latest

3rd party support and a new controller! :geek:
Currently Mainly Playing:
Switch: FIFA 18 and Rocket League

Bix

Post by Bix » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:47 pm

I guess as well, a way to make the handheld of the moment truly interact with the home console. We have touched on it briefly with the 3DS via games like MH3U. But if this was to happen, people would perceive it as a Vita-PS4 scenario which only has the home console selling well. With Nintendo its the other way around. It truly is a tough decision for Nintendo and one I do not envy in the slightest. 100 million+ people bought into the Wii and Nintendo will struggle to get even 20% of that on a Wii U. With talk of the next Nintendo home console already, this isn't going to do the Wii U any good.

But looking at the life cycle of Nintendo consoles if we see the NX at xmas 2017 the Wii U will have had the standard 5 years life cycle of many of Nintendo's home consoles. Will it have sold pretty poorly? There's little hope of a recovery now but the 10+million owners aren't complaining.

Games coming in from more than just Nintendo will definitely help the successor to the U.
TIME !

masofdas
PSN ID: masofdas

Post by masofdas » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:59 pm

I've been pro-hybrid for ages, and could still see that being a thing also would bring backwards compatibility if it has a screen.

But if a hybrid specs might a bit low and if it comes out late 2016 which it might and is low spec, you can see the trolls now.

That I think it has to be either really new and different to set it part from the others or just make a simple console that has specs of the PS4 etc that 3RD party could come to it with no issues of we can't port. And Nintendo just come out here it is and this is where you play your Nintendo games in a plain simple way, also think about how many games use the Gamepad in a interesting way.
PSN, NNID, Gamertag, Steam, Twitter, Tumbler, Twitch: masofdas. YouTube: masofbiohaz. New 3DS FC 3110-7071-6098
Image Image

Yookaluigi

Post by Yookaluigi » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:06 am

Bix wrote:I guess as well, a way to make the handheld of the moment truly interact with the home console. We have touched on it briefly with the 3DS via games like MH3U. But if this was to happen, people would perceive it as a Vita-PS4 scenario which only has the home console selling well. With Nintendo its the other way around. It truly is a tough decision for Nintendo and one I do not envy in the slightest. 100 million+ people bought into the Wii and Nintendo will struggle to get even 20% of that on a Wii U. With talk of the next Nintendo home console already, this isn't going to do the Wii U any good.

But looking at the life cycle of Nintendo consoles if we see the NX at xmas 2017 the Wii U will have had the standard 5 years life cycle of many of Nintendo's home consoles. Will it have sold pretty poorly? There's little hope of a recovery now but the 10+million owners aren't complaining.

Games coming in from more than just Nintendo will definitely help the successor to the U.
There are only 9.45 million Wii U owners (so even 10 % is looking difficult).

The Main issue is that nintendo lost their audience pretty quickly, the gamecube was done in as soon as 2003 when third party support was drying up, and by 2004 it was dead,and in 2005 there was very literally nothing coming out at all. The Wii was dead and gone by 2009s end, And as a gaming platform even sooner when HD gaming on the PS3/360 took off big time with COD etc and it couldn't compete as an overclocked gamecube with no online infrastructure like XBLive or PS Network.

and the Wii U in 2016 is basically done release wise except like very literally 3-4 title, I mean what, Zelda, project Treasure and fire emblem, thats basically it, Don't expect a slew of last minute titles to be announced . Well Really if you think about it, the Wii U was finished in the market within its first holiday season. support seemed to stop as far back as 2013 then when it was evident the machine was a flop as far as producing new software for it goes, nintendo focused on 3DS and third party stopped altogether, and that they have only been working on projects that are already in motion for years. That is why there was a lack of anything new worth talking about at e3, its all being saved for the next platform. But 2015 at least looks nice and rounded with some good titles, Splatoon XCX Yoshi Mariomaker etc, but 2016 and 2017 is going to be a wasteland akin to 2011/2005, levels.

There has been no real significant effort by nintendo to support platforms when they stopped selling and third parties stop supporting, The Issue is not going to be whether or not the NX is a technical marvel or has a killer app but whether they can get the Trust of the consumers back that they lost in 2010 for their home consoles with the wii fiasco. Casuals are gone, Soccer moms are gone, hardcore is gone, only the 10-15 million nintendo fans are left to support them and that is diminishing every gen.

Either way I can't see them sustaining 2 platforms anymore unless they throw a megaton of cash at new studios etc, because whilst combined the 3DS/U has a nice 2015 lineup, there is nothing big budget or anything, everything is sort of cheap middling games or lower end.
Think they just need to not do the horrendous mistakes no one else in their position would have made, Get a real idea in what direction they want to go in and stick with it, Dont develop things with a current trend then when release them with the original design in mind, I mean even when the gamepad tablet was being produced it was already obsolete, and when it came out in 2012 I had Nexus 7 which I already could play PS2-3 quality games on and stream HD movies, download thousands of apps etc.

Think VR will be the next big thing, Just screams potential, look at how awesome Hololens seemed, you can have like, Survival games like rust or Day Z but from a real perspective. They need to just adapt faster, and listen to the Consumers, I mean they haven't been listening to the market in nigh on 20 years save for the DS/Wii phenomenon where they miraculously struck gold, but gunpei yokoi underpowered overpriced tat is not going to cut it anymore, They need AAA titles right off the bat and a multiplayer online game to hook them in, I think though, Splatoon as amazing as it is, and successful as it currently is, might not be the answer. Splatoon 2 I fear might bomb, like this is only a meme level craze, especially when it doesn't have the online shooter staples.

Anyways, TLDR No more Mariokart/NSMB/partyland gimmick games, No underpowered tech, proper social/online infrastructure akin to xblive/psn, real emphasis on current trends and not half ass things only for them to become obsolete halfway through development, real AAA titles,

Bix

Post by Bix » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:30 am

Yookaluigi wrote:
Okay nearly 10 mill, but as of May the figure was higher than you suggest. Doesn't change how pleased most of us are with the games we have.

Within the 'wasteland' years as you refer to them on the Wii we had some of the best content of the whole console, off the top of my head: Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Skyward Sword, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Bit Trip Complete, De Blob 2 there were plenty of others. Don't worry Splatoon 2 won't bomb. Galaxy 2 didn't bomb, Metroid Prime 2 didn't bomb, any second bite of the cherry that Nintendo take is normally very good indeed. Its a brand new IP and one that will receive enough internal support to virtually ensure its success.. Splatoon 1 is not even out in its entirety, we've still got more free maps and stuff to come.
TIME !

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:52 am

Yookaluigi wrote:No more Mariokart
This would probably be the worst thing Nintendo could ever do

Mariokart is the reason the WiiU has sold the number of consoles it has, no more mariokart would be madness

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:55 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Yookaluigi wrote:No more Mariokart
This would probably be the worst thing Nintendo could ever do

Mariokart is the reason the WiiU has sold the number of consoles it has, no more mariokart would be madness
Which is why it will never happen!

I can foresee Mario Kart turning into Smash Kart though, which will be refreshing.

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

RichardUK

Post by RichardUK » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:02 am

i think because Nintendo have stuck to one Mario Kart per console its kept the series special and unlike other franchises they haven't over milked it, Nintendo with out Mario Kart wouldn't be Nintendo if that happened they might as well get rid of Mario completely and change the company name

Yookaluigi

Post by Yookaluigi » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:10 am

Bix wrote:
Yookaluigi wrote:
Okay nearly 10 mill, but as of May the figure was higher than you suggest. Doesn't change how pleased most of us are with the games we have.

Within the 'wasteland' years as you refer to them on the Wii we had some of the best content of the whole console, off the top of my head: Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Skyward Sword, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Bit Trip Complete, De Blob 2 there were plenty of others. Don't worry Splatoon 2 won't bomb. Galaxy 2 didn't bomb, Metroid Prime 2 did kinda bomb, any second bite of the cherry that Nintendo take is normally very good indeed. Its a brand new IP and one that will receive enough internal support to virtually ensure its success.. Splatoon 1 is not even out in its entirety, we've still got more free maps and stuff to come.
Not No mario kart EVER, just don't depend on it to be a system seller or to captivate the audience to clamour to the NX, since MK 8 did nothing but provide a one month spike to then return to usual levels, SAles boomed 450% ! sold like 800,000 in a week or something, great! 5 weeks later nothing, business as usual. All it did prove that it sold to Nintendo consumers and absolutely no one else, which doesn't equate to very many people these days from a business perspective.

Prime Echoes didnt exactly set the world on fire,,Na , Zelda came out but that was basically it,2011

Mario Sports Mix
Wii Play: Motion
Mystery Case Files: The Malgrave Incident
Kirby's Return to Dream Land
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Fortune Street
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Just Dance Wii (Japan only)
Xenoblade Chronicles (Europe and Australia only)

that is hopeless for an entire years lineup.In 2008 the likes of GTA IV came out, why would you be gaming on a Gamecube when you could be playing on your HD TV a true mature 7th gen title with hd graphics ? there was no way the Wii could compete on that level and the market showed it, With gamers migrating to 360 and later PS3 when it started snowballing awesome releases, The NX needs to maintain some kind of relevance and not have its audience just drop the machine half way through because of how woefully underpowered it is and inability to play the games they want to play, not what nintendo assumes that they want.

I hope the bottom doesn't fall out of splatoon before the whole content is released, deserves success considering it is the only thing new ninty has done in years, and is currently booming in japan, wel as much as their floundering console market would consider booming at least.

Yea but can Splatoon maintain the level of relevance the likes of Minecraft, GTA Farcry Elder scrolls mass effect fallout AC COD Uncharted etc and beome a true ninty mainstay? Can Splatoon match the calibre of these releases and make Nintendo stand out from them enough to entice new consumers back? Pretty much has to really, everything else is too similar or tired, but I feel it would be a better direction than Mario spinoff number 24932526345724846and1 , Mariokart U has done about what 6mil ?maybe 8 mil life time, not too shabby by any means, but it kind of shows people buy a Wii U to buy a particular game and nothing else, Need to break this habit of sky high attachment rates but shabby console sales, I mean look GTAV attach rate, but it has more market relevance and social standing than MK Ever will. MK Wii sells 30 million copies but how many of them Played Online Multiplayer ?? DESTINY Has had 20 million onine users across the board, Except for POKEMON what else is there for nintendo's online

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:22 am

Yookaluigi wrote: I mean even when the gamepad tablet was being produced it was already obsolete, and when it came out in 2012 I had Nexus 7 which I already could play PS2-3 quality games on and stream HD movies, download thousands of apps etc.
MM mate why do you keep pretending the gamepad was intended to be a tablet when it's clearly just a controller with a screen
Yookaluigi wrote: I mean look GTAV attach rate, but it has more market relevance and social standing than MK Ever will.
lol nice meme
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

Balladeer

Post by Balladeer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:45 am

Yookaluigi wrote:...real AAA titles,
Did y'all not stop taking him seriously from this moment on?