Metroid Prime Federation Force: OUT NOW!

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
Fisher
NNID: fisher87
3DS Friend Code: 1263-9353-5749

Re: Metroid Prime Federation Force: Blast Ball OUT NOW!

Post by Fisher » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:49 pm

reviews will come next week.
come to my world and i will project you from bad souls and I'm the ninja pirate master.

New 3DS XL FC is 1263-9353-5749 If you add me then please PM me

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:26 pm

Game is out in America now, so reviews are coming out. The reviews are suggesting it's a good but not great game if you take it out the fact that it's a spin-off and the story's pretty average. Has a pretty solid mission variety to it apparently but none of the characters have names aside from Samus.

I'm definitely interested in playing it. It's not going to be Game of the Year and probably won't sell that well especially considering the internet effectively already decided it was a bad game when it got revealed. Plus I started the series with Hunters, so although I've played better since then, I don't actually mind the "B Tier" Metroid games.

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:32 pm

Reviewing as I dare say many of us thought, decent but nothing great. I've seen GameXplain have already beaten it though and there's a little teaser at the end which may lead us into the next game, I wasn't overly fussed about spoiling the story which is why I clicked on the ending quite happily, if the teaser does lead into Metroid Prime 4 it should have a good base story to build from.

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:49 pm

won't be getting it and it's not good.
come to my world and i will project you from bad souls and I'm the ninja pirate master.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:16 pm

Meh I wasn't that keen on the small portion of the game that was included in the Blast Ball download, but I'll give it a go as it's a new Metroid and we don't get one of those everyday, even if it is a spin-off.

When is it out in the UK?
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:33 pm

Early September, can't recall the exact date. I'll definitely get it down the line as it does look a decent game. Every time I talk about Metroid I keep thinking of the Prime Trilogy I downloaded when they launched it on the eshop that I've yet to even load up, in a way I'm glad Nintendo don't have many releases this year, should allow me to clear my backlog (including the Prime Trilogy with any luck) by the time Breath of The Wild releases next year and before I think about getting an NX.

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

may rent it when it comes out.

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:44 pm

So the reviews have started to come out now and most are saying it's kinda average. I'm still interested and will probably get it, despite also wanting Monster Hunter Generations, and a couple of games I've missed on release such as Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam and Triforce Heroes.

Here are just a few reviews:
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/metroid ... 0-6416499/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... rce-review

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2016/08/19 ... rce-review

http://kotaku.com/metroid-prime-federat ... 1785489769 (this one's the most positive)

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:49 pm

gonna rent it next month.

imbusydoctorwho

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:30 pm

Fisher wrote:gonna rent it next month.
You can still rent video games? Where I live the whole renting stuff disappeared when Blockbuster died out.

Had a look online and it's out next Friday, will be keeping an eye out to see if I can get it.
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Metroid Prime Federation Force Blast Ball ends next month.

Ape

Post by Ape » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:07 pm

So, the game's out now and I have decided to buy it before it becomes something extremely rare and selling for ridiculously high prices on eBay.

I've already wrote my thoughts on Twitter, Miiverse and another forum so I'll just copy and paste them from the other forum here:
Ape wrote:PLOT TWIST: The internet's most hated game is actually pretty good.

Just got the game today and played the first mission. Already there are some Metroid tropes like the forshadowing of what's to come, like this for instance:

and the game definately feels like a Metroid game so far, right down to being able to suck up powerups with the Charge Beam. Obviously though the levels are quite linear and really big for just one player.

There was a surprise at the end of the first mission though after the boss had been defeated:

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:49 pm

gonna get it in 2 weeks.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:13 pm

Glad to hear you're enjoying it Ape, as I said previously I'll certainly be picking it up at some point, just kind of feel I should hold off while I've still got the majority of Fire Emblem Fates to play through, hope the experience isn't ruined too much by playing through it in single player as opposed to multiplayer (which from the looks of it is how Nintendo intended for it to be played). Who knows, once I've played this maybe I'll finally get around to playing the Prime Trilogy I downloaded ages ago.

Ape

Post by Ape » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:38 pm

Lone Wolf Mod makes the solo missions perfectly manageable, so far not encountered anything too taxing in regards to what I have to do to beat the missions and travelling solo through them actually increases the challenge somewhat, like the boss at the end of Mission 3 which was the first Game Over I got during the game. The only major thing is that the optimum Clear Times I'm getting nowhere near while playing on my own.

It definately feels like a Metroid Prime game when playing solo I've found apart from the fact that you are effectively in linear levels with limited exploration, but the Metroid series has arguably gotten more linear as time went on anyway. That said, the big difference came from this:

I was tempted to try and hit the Morph Ball button only to remember that there isn't one.

That said the soundtrack is entirely unmemorable so far, nothing apart from the title theme and the Blast Ball theme are memorable to me. My opinions on the game may change as a whole later on as I'm still quite early into it but I don't want to randomly hate on it like many have done just because it isn't a true Metroid game and I'm willing to give it a chance. Besides, if no one does then we might not get the actual Metroid game that we've been after and Nintendo did something similar with Star Fox 64 3D to test the waters and see if there was going to be a market for a new Star Fox game, which eventually lead to Star Fox Zero.

Essentially I do get the feeling that Nintendo's production of their franchises is going to become profit driven and Japan focused under their current management and they will only make new games for franchises which sell and treat spin-off and main series games alike in that regard alike. Mario, Zelda and Pokemon will be the exceptions to all this, while a lot of people view Metroid as one of Nintendo's biggest franchises I get the feeling Nintendo doesn't.

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:49 pm

gonna rent it in 2 weeks.

imbusydoctorwho

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:36 pm

Got it yesterday from Argos for only £29.99 as Game sold out.
I've played around 4 missions so far and I'm really really impressed, it feels and plays like Metroid even if there's no Samus it is worthy of the Prime name. The online multiplayer is brilliant and runs incredibly smoothly unlike Tri-force Heroes. Playing on your own is an absolute blast with no compromises to the gameplay anywhere, I can see it getting hard later on in the campaign.

So yeah if you like Metroid eat humble pie and get this game, it's another stunner for your 3DS.

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:49 pm

Awesome.

Ape

Post by Ape » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:51 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new addition to the hardest bosses in Metroid history... Sawken with only one player.

Starts off harmless enough, reminds me of the Chykka Lavra in Prime 2 where you have to shoot a swimming creature on a central platform as it swims around you and occasionally comes up to directly attack you, instead this time there's two of them...

...then they merge and all of a sudden you can only damage it from the front, but standing there is real dangerous because if he comes right across the platform, it doesn't matter how much energy you have left or how many energy capsules you have stocked, if he comes right across the platform he eats you and it's game over.

I hear this is a boss that is meant to require reviving to beat, but this is very brutal especially for what is only the third real boss in the game.

Kriken
FKA liberal
NNID: PhoenixVonKarma
Steam ID: Kriken

Post by Kriken » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:16 pm

The game has completely flopped in sales and has been received poorly by critics. Something which I guess isn't news to most of you guys. Only just heard about it myself the other day.

It would have been nice obviously if the game had been a good title but I was never crazy about the concept or at least how it looked like they were going to be handling it, from footage I had seen. It sends a clear message that not even the fans really wanted this game - something they knew from the backlash on announcement, but which they obviously had hoped to fix. But it's a shame this will probably mean a setback for the series as a whole. Could be a very long time until we get another Metroid game.

Then again, at least in my opinion, we haven't had a *great* Metroid since Echoes in 2004, and even that was kind of derivative of the original Prime (not just in the obvious design similarities from the appearance but in the structure of the game) and was flawed in ways the original wasn't. I did also like Corruption and Hunters, and kind of liked Other M despite being critical of a lot of its aspects, but they really pale in comparison. So if the series is done, I'm not really too fussed. For me it is long past its prime, and I am content with replaying the old games as well as playing games from other series that do the modern Metroid's genre(s) better.

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:20 pm

hey wtf other m was perfect in every single way
the best part was how they treated samus' character

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Fisher

Post by Fisher » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:49 pm

did you enjoy the game.

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:15 am

Fisher wrote:did you enjoy the game.
other m arguably is the greatest game of all time

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Fisher

Re: Metroid Prime Federation Force: OUT NOW!

Post by Fisher » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:49 pm

what is your favorite weapon.

Ape

Re: Metroid Prime Federation Force: OUT NOW!

Post by Ape » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:59 pm

Got to admit I haven't been playing it quite as much recently and that's mainly down to the fact that it seems best for local co-op multiplayer. Single player's still fine though but the fact that it's designed around multiplayer makes it one of the hardest single player campaigns you will ever have to face.

Managed to finally beat Sawken after coming up with a strategy and the following Excelcion mission wasn't that hard, but Mission 9 has been a tough one, clearly one where one person is supposed to beat the Space Pirates while the others are pushing the cart while under a strict time limit due to the constant oncoming storms that damage said cart, along with the Space Pirates attacking the doors protecting the shelters which you are meant to use to survive the storm and if the doors blow off then goodbye safe spot.

Was enjoying the game at first and I still think that it has its plus points as a game but in terms of the whole Metroid series its easily one of the weakest titles. Is it worse than Other M? Not quite sure if I'm ready to say really, Other M had a story albeit a poorly written one, Federation Force has only the bare bones of a story and makes no attempt to put names to characters.

I get the feeling that Nintendo may consider dropping Next Level Games simply because of this game and blame them for the game's failure...