How Do You Feel Right Now (HDYFRN)

Anything else you'd like to talk about? Post here.
>> How Do You Feel Right Now
Tsunade

Re: **official** pokemon TCG and other chat thread

Post by Tsunade » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:29 pm

The electrician and plumber were meant to come this morning but they haven't shown up. I've been in all day and woke up early just in case. I'm knackered

Wrathy

Post by Wrathy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Basically becoming unemployed in 2 weeks because of a run of bad luck with interviews / applications etc.

feels bad lads

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:18 pm

gooseberry fool sorry to hear that - what happened?

I had my stint of employment bad luck a couple of years ago - applying for post-grad jobs, dealing with agencies and interviews was soul crushing, but you just have to put up with it for just a little while.

Good luck with that eton mess.
"soylent green is people"

Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Post by Kappa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:26 pm

probably becoming unemployed this week too!

Wrathy

Post by Wrathy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:57 pm

Cruizer wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:18 pm
gooseberry fool sorry to hear that - what happened?

I had my stint of employment bad luck a couple of years ago - applying for post-grad jobs, dealing with agencies and interviews was soul crushing, but you just have to put up with it for just a little while.

Good luck with that eton mess.
basically got moved department (against my will) at the start of April, to a job that was actually much better for me, because my performance had been poor in my previous role. So threw myself into it thinking it was last chance saloon but that if I exceeded expectations I could still go permanent. I did a good job (got a reward for some exceptional stuff etc)... and then my manager said that he'd want to keep me, but as it turns out there's no budget to create new roles in that department at all. They've just had to let a bunch of people go in January and aren't currently even filling the jobs for people who leave either. So I've done a couple of applications and had an interview (Internally) but nothing's come through. Honestly I was preparing to play that game before I got moved, but being moved shifted my focus so much that I didn't really do as much looking for a full job as I should've. I seriously thought I could swing it permanent but couldn't, I guess.

In hindsight it now feels like I was being managed out of the business. Some people have pointed out that it sounds a little like constructive dismissal, but don't have the two years employment criteria, so it can't be. It's just a run of bad luck.

Partly it's my fault for joining a shrinking area of the business instead of taking a role elsewhere with money, but tbh I couldn't know how the new CEO from September would decide to run the organisation. Just got outmanoeuvred really. Feels like a massive blow to my confidence and capabilities, since a lot of the feedback I've had from interviews so far is stuff I'm aware of and trying to fix.

Anyway yeah. Last day is now officially 6th September. FML.

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:16 pm

RichardUK wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:43 pm
I have just been chased across the landing and into the master bedroom my a giant house spider, it really did seem to want to get me!
Give up. It's the spider's house now.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

dark_link94
Steam ID: gingergamer7

Post by dark_link94 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:57 pm

Wow havent been on here since OONM days! Literal years
Mad to see some of the old names still floating about though

Oh how different my mentalities were back then to now :lol:
Time's a b :idea: h aint it!

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Hey there, I don't remember you sadly, did you have a different username on OONM?
ImageImage

DarkRula
NNID: DarkRula
Xbox Gamertag: DarkRula
Steam ID: DarkRula

Post by DarkRula » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:40 pm

2018 calenders are already around. As well as the usual landscapes and animals, an interesting one I saw was food puns. I didn't look at any of them, though.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:47 pm

@Wrathy that sucks and good luck with it all. These kind of things are always a knock to your confidence at time when you want to be cracking on and don't need set-backs. My company I had my first post-grad job with went into adminstration, which led to a period of unemployment - so I know what's it like.

---------------------------------------

Any SONMers hitting the Reading festival this weekend? I'm just there Sunday this time (Muse yay :D )

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:32 pm

DarkRula wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:40 pm
2018 calenders are already around. As well as the usual landscapes and animals, an interesting one I saw was food puns. I didn't look at any of them, though.

I'm getting the only good calendars:

I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

Wrathy

Post by Wrathy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:17 pm

Cruizer wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:47 pm
@Wrathy that sucks and good luck with it all. These kind of things are always a knock to your confidence at time when you want to be cracking on and don't need set-backs. My company I had my first post-grad job with went into adminstration, which led to a period of unemployment - so I know what's it like.

---------------------------------------

Any SONMers hitting the Reading festival this weekend? I'm just there Sunday this time (Muse yay :D )
Im seeing it as a positive tbh, I'm not crazy about the company and have a bunch of reasons for leaving anyway. It's a shame I don't have anything lined up to move into, but at the same time it'll be good to take a step back and re-assess where I want to end up in my life.

I'm also going to Reading for Muse on Sunday - see you there? ;)

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:45 pm

DarkRula wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:40 pm
I bet the food pun one cost a lot of dough
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Post by Jezo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:23 pm

dark_link94 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:57 pm
Wow havent been on here since OONM days! Literal years
Mad to see some of the old names still floating about though

Oh how different my mentalities were back then to now :lol:
Time's a b :idea: h aint it!
A blightbolbh? I don't get it.

So I finally finished my dissertation pretty much, but before I can submit it I have to submit meeting log sheets. Problem is they need to be signed and my supervisor's had all week to sign them but hasn't. The deadline is tuesday, but he said he's going to america monday. So basically I'm a little gooseberry fool. The module man said he'll take into consideration my supervisor being a pain, so, hoping it'll be okay, but still rather irritating.
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:43 am

D.J wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:51 am
RichardUK wrote:
I have just been chased across the landing and into the master bedroom my a giant house spider, it really did seem to want to get me!
It took advantage of your fear!
is this a string of facebook comments written by stay at home mums or are you two really that gooseberry fool boring
Bucket

Tsunade

Post by Tsunade » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:41 am

Got to wait till Friday to get the cold water tank changed. That means I have another week of no hot water and I'm having to stick with having to boil the kettle to wash myself everyday. So I'm bloody annoyed.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:48 pm

Wrathy wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:17 pm

Im seeing it as a positive tbh, I'm not crazy about the company and have a bunch of reasons for leaving anyway. It's a shame I don't have anything lined up to move into, but at the same time it'll be good to take a step back and re-assess where I want to end up in my life.

I'm also going to Reading for Muse on Sunday - see you there? ;)
Good attitude. In retrospect, it ended up being a positive for me too (but I didn't want to say as it always sounds a bit tossy when someone says they have lost a job and you come back with "maybe it's a positive" or "ended up being the best thing that ever happened to me"). I think it's not necessarily a bad thing to move around a bit the first few years after uni - I wasn't unhappy in the job I lost, but I would have just coasted and I think I probably would have difficulties with pay increases and progression. Obviously I wouldn't have left a job to be unemployed and would have liked to job search whilst in a job at my own pace, but getting away was better for me in the long run. Not the best advice for everyone - but what may work for some people is finding a company, taking the training, make all your mistakes then join another company when you're now established with both the qualifications and some decent industry experience and progressing with them.

...........but sod all that for now this is the party weekend.

KingoftheSocks
PSN ID: KingoftheSocks
Steam ID: chronofighter

Post by KingoftheSocks » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Finished being the holiday caretaker at my local school yesterday, been doing that job every summer for the last 4 years and kinda sad to finally say goodbye to the place. But I won't have time to next year as I prepare to become a Primary School Teacher and enjoying the last of my free time during holidays.

Also decided to see if you guys were still alive and you are, which makes me happy.
Credit to liberal for this snazzy sig

Wrathy

Post by Wrathy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Just been at my first Pokemon TCG tournament. Came third with a below optimal Garb/Drampa deck, won a shiny Tapu Koko GX box, pulled some decent stuff out of the packs (some Break card, a Primarina GX, Reverse holo garbodor and some trainers) and then traded the Koko with a promo VikaVolt for a Necrozma GX. a solid day at the races. :)

Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:35 pm

Bleh, I came 5th in my tournament today. Pretty disappointed. I do at least now have a full set of League Cup promo Aqua Patches.
<Princess> that's effort

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:52 pm

Nofes wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:43 am
D.J wrote:
RichardUK wrote:
is this a string of facebook comments written by stay at home mums or are you two really that gooseberry fool boring
I am really sorry about that but we can't all be as interesting as you with your constant updates of your bowel movements at work ;)
Last edited by RichardUK on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

Wrathy

Post by Wrathy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:17 am

Aren142 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:35 pm
Bleh, I came 5th in my tournament today. Pretty disappointed. I do at least now have a full set of League Cup promo Aqua Patches.
Should I be more proactive about finding League Cups (as opposed to general tournaments that happen at my league)? I'm perfectly willing to travel tbh but I'm not really sold on the point of doing so.

Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:11 am

Wrathy wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:17 am
Aren142 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:35 pm
Should I be more proactive about finding League Cups (as opposed to general tournaments that happen at my league)? I'm perfectly willing to travel tbh but I'm not really sold on the point of doing so.
I'd say so, at least for now find the closest regular one. It's a step up from Challenges and attracts better players and you'll learn more from facing them more regularly. I've only ever done Manchester ones in the past but am now hoping to go further afield to up my game and points chances.
<Princess> that's effort

Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Post by Kappa » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:42 am

Hungover a f

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:26 am

RichardUK wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:52 pm
Nofes wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:43 am
D.J wrote:

I am really sorry about that but we can't all be as interesting as you with your constant updates of your bowel movements at work ;)
I think most would agree that it actually is more interesting. Besides that, I've been unemployed for about 3 weeks. Constant?

If it helps you, I'm sitting down on the bog while I type this.
Bucket