POLL - Anyone here not even in to Nintendo?

Anything else you'd like to talk about? Post here.
>> How Do You Feel Right Now

You're on a Nintendo forum, but do you like Nintendo?

Yes! Love 'em!
63%
Meh, I'm indifferent to them
30%
No, I hate Nintendo.
7%

Total votes: 76

Cruizer

Re: POLL - Anyone here not even in to Nintendo?

Post by Cruizer » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:52 pm

I’ve preordered the Switch.  How does everyone think the Switch will fare? Any love in off-topic for the Switch?

I’m a bit concerned at the price to be honest, I personally don’t mind paying a little over the odds for the Switch – but I do think it’s a bit much – Nintendo imply they are not interested in trying to compete with Xbone or PS4 power, but they are charging roughly the same price as them.  When I was a kid, you either had an N64 or the PS 1, then Gamecube or PS2; if offered only one console I don’t think many k*ds would pick the Switch that has a fraction of PS4 or Xbone library, worse network features (at least to start with) and isn’t as powerful.

I’ve ended up liking every Nintendo console; but every console unveiling since the Gamecube, I’ve been slightly disappointed – because I’m only interested in the games; all I want from Nintendo is nostalgia and IP’s!  We’re paying for innovation or gimmicks when really I’d be happier with a more traditional console that’s slightly less expensive and slightly less powerful (compared to PS4) with a good eshop library (and reasonably priced – PS Network gives you games that was released a couple of years ago for free, but I’m still paying £8 each for N64 games), Nintendo’s IP’s and a few decent indie developers onboard that Nintendo supports well.

But more than the price of the unit, which I can live with as it’s a one-off luxury, I’m more concerned about the software – I’ve seen quite a few £60’s floating around (and also if it’s anything like the U, the games hold their value annoyingly well).  I am going to get a Pro Controller, because the traditional  controller looks too un-ergonomic with the joy-cons at the side, I think that cost’s about £70 which is a ridiculous for a controller.  I don’t do online gaming, so it doesn’t really affect me, but it’s quite baffling they are going the monthly subscription fee route.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The day-one releases seem a bit thin, but I suppose we have Zelda and then there’s a few decent games spread out over the following month’s.  There maybe a sort of logic to this what with the Switch releasing in March, by Christmas all the hardcore-will-purchase-a-Nintendo-system-whatever-fans will have their Switch, then if Mario Odyssey (which I believe will be a system seller) is bundled with the consoles, Nintendo could market this as a very attractive Christmas gift for the mainstream.
"soylent green is people"

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:45 pm

I'll probably just get Zelda on the WiiU since all that's missing is some audio clarity which I doubt will be game breaking and it running at 720 instead of 900 or whatever it is.

No other games really appeal to me apart from that Octopath game, which I can hold off on until later and Setsuna which if I really wanted it, I'd have already.

Waiting on actual exclusives which aren't just Mario Kart 8.5
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Yeah, waiting on exclusives that I really want to play. Don't have a WiiU and do want to play BotW but not enough to get a console just for it.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm looking forward to the Switch all in all, hardware looks good and it's got some good games coming out for it over the course of the year (which it should do considering it's only launching this year). No plans to get one until later in the year though as past Zelda not much interests me at launch. As soon as the likes of Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 get launch dates I'll look into buying one, probably doubling down on BoTW so I can experience it on the go as well as seeing what other enhancements there are, probably won't go for 100% on the Wii U because of this.

I know it's an old game but I can't wait till I can play Skyrim on the go as well. Project Octopath Traveller looks intriguing as well. Same goes for Mario Kart 8 deluxe, I'm kind of hoping later in the year they may have started bundling the likes of 1-2 Switch or one of the ported games from the Wii U in with the initial price of the Switch (obviously not expecting BoTW to be bundled though) to make it a more attractive offer. I'll probably get Splatoon 2 as well, I didn't play much of the first one (barely any in fact) but what I did play I enjoyed quite a lot.

In short by the time I actually get one there should be a few games to keep me going.

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:18 pm

I have preordered and will be getting the Switch in launch day, I found the presentation disappointing, the lack of games being my main concern, I also don't like how Nintendo thinks that everyone wants motion controls, I know it was what main the Wii a success but I think they need to move on from it, the Wii was my least liked Nintendo console because of it, the power thing does not bother me so much as I have a Xbox One and PS4 but I am worried that if it is quite far behind those two then multi format games will not be released on the Switch and because of that it could affect sales, I hope no Nintendo really try with the switch and that people buy and like it because after the Wii U if this fails it may be Nintendos last home console and they become just another mobile game maker
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:37 pm

Your motion controls gripe seems a bit out of place when it's really only been advertised as a fringe feature rather than a selling point. The biggest feature by far is just that this is the combination of handheld gaming and home console gaming which makes a massive amount of sense for Ninty. The 3DS by far is their biggest console at the moment, Nintendo have long dominated the handheld market, even holding its own against mobile games, so the offer of handheld games and home console games on the go seems, on paper at least, to be a strong success for the generation. As long as Ninty manage to keep third parties interested then this could very easily be Ninty's next success as opposed to the next WiiU.
Destiny is Destiny.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:22 pm

Just on the subject of the 3ds. Is the Switch intended as both the successor to the Wii U and the 3ds? If so, that does seem like a bit of a risky strategy seeing as Nintendo is doing so well in the portable console market. I'm not sure all the 3ds owners would transfer to the much more expensive Switch.

I'm not sure how happy parents would be to let their kids carry around what looks like a quality (but also quite delicate looking and maybe flimsy) tablet around and use it the same way they'd use a 3DS.

Also from a development point of view, can the Switch and 3ds co-exist. What incentive is there for developing a game on the 3ds when you can make a better one for the Switch,

The Switch is a home-console that can also be used remotely. I just worry they are giving up the portable console market they've run really well and maybe leaving an open spot for some other company to pick up where they left off.

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:45 pm

No, it's not a successor to the 3DS, it is strictly console gaming on the go as far as Kimishima claims with "the 3DS continuing in its own form". The Switch and 3DS can absolutely co-exist, they're different platforms with different kinds of games being developed with different software in mind, the incentive for development on handhelds has always been the same, just don't be surprised that the lines will blur with speculation of mainline pokémon games potentially breaching that wall and going home console.

The more pressing question Ninty are worried about is how handheld gaming operates in a mobile gaming generation, likely a very significant reason in part for the doubling down on portable gaming.
Destiny is Destiny.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:12 pm

I think if the Switch does take off really well in its first year on the market we'll slowly see the 3DS games dry up and Nintendo will go Switch only for the rest of this generation at least. I don't think Nintendo are quite willing to cut ties with the success the 3DS has seen (quite rightly so in my opinion) which is why they are marketing the Switch as a Wii U successor rather than both currently and still developing for the 3DS alongside the Switch.

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:57 pm

You don't kill off a successful and profitable console line because the other console you make is doing well, you kill it off because it's failing.
Destiny is Destiny.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:39 pm

Well if Nintendo are dedicated to keeping the 3DS alive for a couple more years at least I hope we don't see many software droughts on the Switch so the 3DS sees an increase of games released, this was one of the main reasons I was wanting Nintendo to release a hybrid console, so all of the software can be played on one system and the player chooses whether to play at home in console mode or handheld mode.

I don't actually recall that many games coming out for the 3DS in 2017, there's the Lady Layton game (I think so anyway), the new Fire Emblem game, FE Warriors, a Mario game (sports?) and the Oasis game. I'm not even saying they'll kill it off as soon as the Switch lands but if the Switch gets 20 million sales in year 1 I'd imagine most developers would start to move to the newer platform meaning the 3DS would see relativly few games being made for it over the next couple of years. If there is a 3DS successor in the works I can see it being a Switch lite, mainly a Switch without the dock/docking capabilities of the Switch, as it'd be able to play the same software but handheld only and be cheaper without the dock included in the box, I believe Iwata said the NX was going to be a family of systems with a shared OS so I could see this happening at some point (although the the name 'Switch' wouldn't really work as well for it) in the future, as I could a console only box for people only interested in playing at home.

In short I don't see Nintendo killing off the 3DS (officially at least) in the next year or two, if the Switch sells well I can certainly see support drying up naturally.

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:35 pm

Think I saw something about a new handheld console showing up around the end of 2018, but as far as I can tell those sources are nothing but rumours and speculation.
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:23 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:In short I don't see Nintendo killing off the 3DS (officially at least) in the next year or two, if the Switch sells well I can certainly see support drying up naturally.
Why not? The 3DS is at the end of its life, it's had its 6 year run like the GBA and DS had, it's due to be phased out for a new handheld console so the 2018 date rumoured makes a lot of sense. The implication is still somewhat overstated about how big an impact the Switch will have on handhelds until we get more details, as it is we're still not confirmed on any games that aren't typically home console games for the Switch. It's also worth reiterating the games that are staples of handheld gaming fill a very different niche to those that make up home console gaming so this overlap is far from as significant as you're making out. Honestly, the biggest problem for handheld gaming remains mobile gaming.
Destiny is Destiny.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:58 pm

Just realised I read one of your comments slightly wrong Jenova, thought you we're referring to the 3DS rather than the Wii U about killing off a console. Obviously need to make sure I read things properly next time before posting.

I still think it will be Switch only for this generation going forward though, a dedicated portable console will be compared to the Switch and will probably not perform as well ad the Switch and with the marketing from Nintendo they're obviously not making a new home console any time soon. As I said before I could see a new Switch lite being released down the line, which is basically a Switch without the ability to be docked, maybe a smaller screen which would help get the lower price point but to me this would still be a Switch and not exactly a brand new handheld.

As for handheld type games in development for the Switch, what about Project Octopath Traveller? Looks like a JRPG game that wouldn't look out of place on the 3DS and there is a new Fire Emblem game being released for the Switch in 2018 although we don't know anything about that as of yet. There's also a couple of Dragon Quest games in development although I haven't looked into them at all so I couldn't say if they're more like a home console game or handheld game.

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:10 pm

I mean we've not really seen anything of these games to really judge whether they fit a handheld model or not. If for Octopath you mean the low-pixel sprite based aesthetic then sure, in the current generation that's typically more handheld focused but that doesn't really denote what console it fits on until we know more about it rather than less than a minute of footage. And of course there's always room for sprite based games on consoles as vanillaware demonstrate with gusto. Fire Emblem's always been on both handheld and home consoles too so that's not really saying anything until we see them, as have Dragon Quest.

The big point I'm making though is that handheld games aren't just lower budget or downsized console games, in terms of their construction and gameplay what works for home console games doesn't work for handhelds and vice versa. Hence why it's impossible to say what these games will be like and whether they're "handheld" games on the Switch or not until further details are given.
Destiny is Destiny.

Resurrection

Post by Resurrection » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:35 am

My friend Nick Summersgill, who mainly Plays-station, raised a good point the other day: how big a role does nostalgia have when someone sits down to play Nintendo games? We play these games because we've developed an attachment to the characters/series over time. There's a few flaws in this logic, but was an interesting debate nonetheless

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:41 pm

It's good seeing Nintendo in the spot light again and the Switch doing so well. I know any form of brand loyalty is a bit sad - but I think everyone likes Nintendo doing well, whilst on one hand I dislike all those lazy "the Switch / DS / Wii turns out to be the surprise hit" articles (how many hits do Nintendo need before they stop being the underdog / loser?) it's nice that with the big players in Sony / Microsoft; Nintendo are sorting doing their own thing in the console market and surviving just fine.

I was slightly worried if I made a sensible purchase in the Switch. I've never bought a console at launch before (rule of thumb, wait a year after release and there has to be 5 games already out that I want to play) and I literally got it so I could play Zelda BotW remotely, to be honest I got it for it's potential, Zelda is the only game I got for it (I don't count 1-2 Switch as I literally got it for when I had my brother and some friends round - I got less than an hours drunken use out of it and enjoyed it much less than "cards against humanity" which I also don't enjoy) and at the moment it's probably a bigger extravagance than Playstation VR! Plus, I slightly resented the Switch replacing the Wii U in the first place (I'm a big Wii U apologist and wanted them to carry on with the flow they got around 2014, 2015 with a decent amount of great first party releases for it).......

.....But after E3, there's loads of games I'm really excited for - I think they totally "won" E3 this year. There seems to be loads of games which for me (as someone that's generally one or two years behind new releases) look like day one purchases for me Yoshi, Kirby, that Mario / Rabbid Rabbits thing, Metroid etc. Odyssey looks incredible (also surprised we're actually getting that this year and in just a few months from now), I think Rocket League will work really well on the Switch too.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:25 am

I've posted quite a lot about this subject elsewhere on the forum, but aware that there's people in off-topic that don't frequent GNC so might not be aware of this.

Nintendo have released the SNES Mini https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -mini-snes - which will be released in September - I always feel bad about being excited for someting a few months away as between now and September thousands and thousands of people will die (very possibly some of those people that pre-ordered the SNES mini) - and in wishing time away, I feel like I've as good as murdered those people....But I'm so hyped for this :D :D :D :D :D :D , more so than anything else gaming related in years.

What's everyone's thoughts on the SNES mini in this thread? Presumably even people that have fallen out of love with Nintendo must still be hyped for this? Because the SNES mini is a thing - I'm staring at my PS4 with utter contempt, because the PS4 isn't a game's console - it's a PC that doesn't do anything useful like a normal PC, but plays games like a PC - you put a game in install the updates and then wait for it load as opposed to turn it on, no loading times and I'm jumping on turtles straight away....the SNES min now that's a console.

I'm ccertainly no fan boy, but there's never been a better time to be a Nintendo fan* :D :D :D :D

*boy

Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Post by Kappa » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:40 am

it is a license to print money but snes emulation is good so no reason for me to get one

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:59 am

Whilst I love the games, but I'm never really been a fan of Nintendo's self-inflicted-restrictive hardware - I will say one thing....

One of the reasons the Crash Bandicoot Remasters works is because all the PlayStation controllers for all the consoles are all basically the same. Each different Nintendo console has radically different controllers - but I've played NES, SNES, GBA, DS, N64, Wii games from Eshop on the Wii U and on all of these completely different games from different eras - from when games looked and played completely differently it felt as if the Wii U controller was designed for that game (and the point stands on any Nintendo backwards compatible console)... I just thought that was kind of cool.

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:39 am

now I just play my nintendo classics on a sony system like a true enlightened being.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:41 am

.....How?

Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Post by Kappa » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:26 am

emulation lol

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:09 am

I've never looked into emulation. Is it basically something that anyone can do (to give this question some context OR changed my avartar to a Coca-Cola image as a a joke in the summer and I still haven't changed it back).

I'm not interested in emulating modern PS4 games or anything - I'm only interested in being able to play the N64 and SNES games I already own that are in my mums loft, but that I no longer have the console for.

Also is there a simple way you can hack the SNES Classic Mini, so you can play other SNES games on it. I would give anything to be able to play Aladin with a SNES controller :( If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to PM as well.

mewthree

Post by mewthree » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:10 am

Cruizer wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:09 am
I've never looked into emulation. Is it basically something that anyone can do (to give this question some context OR changed my avartar to a Coca-Cola image as a a joke in the summer and I still haven't changed it back).

I'm not interested in emulating modern PS4 games or anything - I'm only interested in being able to play the N64 and SNES games I already own that are in my mums loft, but that I no longer have the console for.

Also is there a simple way you can hack the SNES Classic Mini, so you can play other SNES games on it. I would give anything to be able to play Aladin with a SNES controller :( If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to PM as well.
ZSNES is a pretty handy emulator. Been able to run it using this ancient laptop no problem. Easily searchable. That being said Nintendo have been cracking down on game ROMs themselves. It's just a matter of downloading game .zip files and opening them in the emulator. They usually allow USB controller support too.
GreenWaluigi: and i somehow ACCIDENTALLY jerked it right up INTO MY EYEBALL