POLL - Anyone here not even in to Nintendo?

Anything else you'd like to talk about? Post here.
>> How Do You Feel Right Now

You're on a Nintendo forum, but do you like Nintendo?

Yes! Love 'em!
63%
Meh, I'm indifferent to them
30%
No, I hate Nintendo.
7%

Total votes: 76

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Re: POLL - Anyone here not even in to Nintendo?

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:47 pm

JacquesLEB wrote:At this point I'm glad I did, the company is a mess, all they is profit off nostalgia by regurgitating the same IP's indefinitely and refuse to innovate, so I don't care about them much anymore (they also did this when I was interested in them but I guess I didn't notice as much or care)
???

Last year we had a brand new Nintendo IP in Splatoon and less than a week ago we had Star Fox Zero with a super innovative/experimental control scheme. They're actively moving into the mobile space and keep mentioning that the NX will be a brand new concept.

Not sure what else a company could do on the innovation front. Whether you like it and whether it is successful are different points.

Crisps
NNID: Crisps

Post by Crisps » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:19 am

star fox zero is litro a retread kmt is that the best example of innovation you could come up with this can't be life
you're a virgin who can't drive.

Fabong

Post by Fabong » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:21 am

Crisps wrote:star fox zero is litro a retread kmt is that the best example of innovation you could come up with this can't be life
word
#ff Garf

Slayso

Post by Slayso » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:30 am

I've been rather indifferent lately. Haven't had much time to play any games really. Too busy living life
Once more, with feeling.

fluffyKittan
NNID: How wanders the dog
3DS Friend Code: In search of
PSN ID: timely relief
Xbox Gamertag: Trapped:
Steam ID: the boy laments

Post by fluffyKittan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:03 am

They made a games console instead of a eton mess gaming pc like microsoft and sony. But I do not own it.
TSF sQuad life ~ pour one out for Sangmin
"People who work at Nisa:'Look, I have a job'." [Decretum, B&M employee circa May 2016]

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:32 am

Crisps wrote:star fox zero is litro a retread kmt is that the best example of innovation you could come up with this can't be life
The general game and level structure is a retread, the controls are clearly innovative.

WithLoveAndSqualor
NNID: KingDanana
3DS Friend Code: 2320-6489-5789
PSN ID: KingDanana
Xbox Gamertag: King Danana
Steam ID: King_Danana

Post by WithLoveAndSqualor » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:46 am

GYROGYROGYROGYRO
UNTOUCHABLE
HAIL TO THE KING/FM\ twit

Crisps

Post by Crisps » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:04 pm

lol sticking gyro on the aiming is empty gimmickry tbh it makes the game worse rather than improving it

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:26 pm

How well it works is entirely irrelevant to the point

(and it's clearly more than just gyro aiming it's a whole dual screen mechanic)

Crisps

Post by Crisps » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:49 pm

innovation means nowt if it doesn't actually work tbh

WithLoveAndSqualor
NNID: KingDanana
3DS Friend Code: 2320-6489-5789
PSN ID: KingDanana
Xbox Gamertag: King Danana
Steam ID: King_Danana

Post by WithLoveAndSqualor » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:00 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:How well it works is entirely irrelevant to the point
wait what
UNTOUCHABLE
HAIL TO THE KING/FM\ twit

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:31 pm

Jacques said that Nintendo refuse to innovate

I gave an example of innovation

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:07 pm

I disapprove of how Nintendo are ruining existing games by making them appeal to the more casual players and the crowds who just want sexy fanservice because it puts off the existing fanbase in favour of just selling eton mess to the masses.

How DARE they want to make more money by selling more copies.

That said, this isn't a Nintendo exclusive issue, it's pretty much everything that originates in Japan that people try to sell in the west.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

Edd
3DS Friend Code: 2380-3173-1972
PSN ID: Eddc15
Steam ID: Eddc15

Post by Edd » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:13 pm

Innovation only counts if it's good innovation, bring back Wonderbook I say.
Mr.EE ~ Edd is the best! Edd is super hot!
arceus469 ~ Edd is just a lonely little internet bully with no friends.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Mon May 02, 2016 12:17 am

Yes. I love them. I think even if I get bored with video games in general, Nintendo will always be in my life on some level.

Personally; I think the Wii U is one of Nintendo's best consoles and I kinda of feel like we're in the Nintendo Silver age. History will remember the Wii U (or Nintendo Dreamcast) as a great console that was criminally under-used during it's own life cycle. The U whilst no where near as powerful as the PS4 and X Box 1, has the best looking graphics not because of power but because of art direction, I actively adore the touch screen controller, and we've had most of Nintendo's best franchises on the U (except Metroid which is particularly a shame as there's lots of potential for the dual screen functionality) and some interesting new IPs.

That said I can kind of understand some people being bread and buttered at Nintendo (both the people that bought it at launch when there was games like Ass Creed, Aliens (when it was thought it might be a good game), Deus Ex, CoD etc so might have reasonably assumed it would be more of an all-rounder rather than a second consoles and I'm sure there was probably a whole bucmch of people that invested in a U because of Zelda U getting announced only for it to be Twilight Princess-ed to the NX).

I feel a bit ambidextrous about the NX. On one hand I'm interested to see what Nintendo offer next on the other hand - because of the lack of third party support on the U, we ended up with with great exclusives as well as some really varied, experimental, creative middle of the road games like Hyrule Warriors, Kirby, Captain Toad, Woolly Yoshi so by mid 2014 the U had found it's niche so I would have like that to continue rather than Nintendo getting bored with the U and seemingly focussing the bulk of their attention on the NX.
Aren142 wrote: I disapprove of how Nintendo are ruining existing games by making them appeal to the more casual players and the crowds who just want sexy fanservice because it puts off the existing fanbase in favour of just selling eton mess to the masses.

How DARE they want to make more money by selling more copies.
For one example; as perhaps a more casual gamer I prefer Wind Waker HD to the original, but I wonder if the more hard core Zelda fans see it as a bit of a betrayal. Visually WW on GC cel-shaded graphics is timeless and WW HD whilst looking gorgeous very much looks like it was created by technicians rather than artists and perhaps loses some of the charm of the original.

Also, I love the swift sail because in my opinion it makes the game more playable but playability is just one aspect of what makes Zelda games special and arguably story and the overall experience is more important. Swift sail is nice but it's not how the original was meant to be played, it's like transferring Shakespear to an e-reader and it gooseberry fool up the verse and line breaks but still claiming it's a better experience because it's easier on the eyes to read.

So some of Nintendo current work feels a bit pandering to more casual gamers at the expense of it's more loyal fans and artistic integrity (which from a financial point of view is very understandable.....,but you know).
"soylent green is people"

Fubz

Post by Fubz » Mon May 02, 2016 9:55 pm

I just play Hearthstone really, since I can work and play at the same time. Either that or wee arcade games that they call indie roguelikelite or whatever the hipsters call it nowadays. Just for a ten minute break.

New hs expansion is hype tho
when a lion sees a sleeping antelope they eat it

Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Post by Warmij » Tue May 03, 2016 10:58 am

Wtf is a Nintendo

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Thu May 05, 2016 12:21 am

One slight niggle - I do wish Nintendo would expand their Wii U e-shop library of retro games. They have all the massive titles, but I'd really like to play some of the realively forgotten third party titles like Earthworm Jim, Aladin, Tiny Toons (perhaps there's some legal reason these games aren't included) or even the slightly more obscure Nintendo titles rather than constantly have the [the admitedly great] Mario World or Ocarina of Time forced down my throat.

I would assuse the NX isn't going to be backwards compatible with the U and will probably have an equally slender stock of Wii U titles on it's equivalent of the e-shop. As much as I love the Wii U is does make me sad, there's a whole bunch of amazing games that so few people will get to experience. I'm not on the MarioMaffia spectrum (do we have a Mario Mafia equivalent on this forum?) that means I can't enjoy a game unless it's shifted several million units - but it's a shame so many great second tier games will go forgotten :(

Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Post by Warmij » Fri May 06, 2016 3:07 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:
JacquesLEB wrote:At this point I'm glad I did, the company is a mess, all they is profit off nostalgia by regurgitating the same IP's indefinitely and refuse to innovate, so I don't care about them much anymore (they also did this when I was interested in them but I guess I didn't notice as much or care)
???

Last year we had a brand new Nintendo IP in Splatoon and less than a week ago we had Star Fox Zero with a super innovative/experimental control scheme. They're actively moving into the mobile space and keep mentioning that the NX will be a brand new concept.

Not sure what else a company could do on the innovation front. Whether you like it and whether it is successful are different points.
One eton mess IP and an "innovative control scheme"??? Yeah, a third person shooter, and Gyro controls, have never been done before, soooooo innovative.

gooseberry fool me, I'm blown away by this excessive amount of INNOVATION

jj94mcl

Post by jj94mcl » Fri May 06, 2016 3:17 pm

Yeah, saying "I'm not sure what else they could've done" isn't really valid because that's kind of the point...

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri May 06, 2016 8:17 pm

Warmij wrote:One eton mess IP and an "innovative control scheme"??? Yeah, a third person shooter, and Gyro controls, have never been done before, soooooo innovative.

You might not like Splatoon but it is a brand new Nintendo IP that has been met with popular and critical acclaim - I think it was easily one of the best games of last year. Star Fox Zero is clearly innovative in the area of controls/player input with the whole dual-view mechanic that obviously goes beyond just being gyro controls for anyone who has played it - I can't think of anything that plays quite like it.

The gamepad never really lived up to the claimed potential but it's an obvious example of innovation.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sat May 07, 2016 9:51 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Warmij wrote:One eton mess IP and an "innovative control scheme"??? Yeah, a third person shooter, and Gyro controls, have never been done before, soooooo innovative.

You might not like Splatoon but it is a brand new Nintendo IP that has been met with popular and critical acclaim - I think it was easily one of the best games of last year. Star Fox Zero is clearly innovative in the area of controls/player input with the whole dual-view mechanic that obviously goes beyond just being gyro controls for anyone who has played it - I can't think of anything that plays quite like it.

The gamepad never really lived up to the claimed potential but it's an obvious example of innovation.
Whether you like the controls or not (much more likely not) - I have to agree the Star Fox controls are a lot more than gyro controls and are definitely innovative. Should make my position clear - I'm not a Nintendo fan-boy in general, but I am a bit of a latter day Wii U apologist. I don't think it's fair to accuse Nintendo of not being innovative, because they clearly are. They are often the first to try something then it's competitors do the same thing but better (e.g. the rumble pack, thumb stick, motion control and even the Virtual Boy was kind of a bold move).

But as you say the gamepad didn't really live up to it's claimed potential. Like others have said before, the Wii controls seem to have come about as a result of someone saying "wouldn't it be cool to be able to have a tennis game [or whatever] and physically act out the motion of playing tennis" (the technology fits around the ideas) whereas with the Wii U it's like "we got this touch-screen game pad, what do we do with it" (the ideas fit around the technology). With the Wii, "Wii Sports" gave people a really good idea of the potential of motion controls and the feeling that Nintendo knew what they had and what to do with it - "Nintendoland" didn't really quite give you the same feeling with the U gamepad.

I really like the gamepad (it's great for internet surfing (for example I'm typing this post from the Wii U) and it's good to have a second screen for maps and inventory) but for the most part and there are defintely exceptions to this generalisation it hasn't been used in many interesting ways (this is partly because of a sort of stalemate being reached from people saying they don't like the gamepad so Nintendo / developers minimising it's use and then people then moaning / bragging they was right there's no use for it). For me personally, 3D Mario games always make the best use of any consoles control system. Mario 64 used that crappy 64 controller perfectly (in fact the controller may even been built specifically with 64 in mind) and Mario Galaxy has the best control system of almost any game - the spin was so tightly synced with your wrist action; so satisfying. But Mario 3D World didn't really do anything too in interesting with the U gamepad.

Last thing about the gamepad It's really a shame Watch Dogs didn't do anything interesting with the gamepad (though it's perfectly understandable why Ubi-Soft wouldn't want to invest anymore effort, money and time than they did for the U version). There was certainly potential to do something interesting about with a game where you controlled things with a touch-screen hand-held device that was controlled by an actual touch-screen hand-held device.

BonafideGeengster

Post by BonafideGeengster » Sat May 07, 2016 11:22 am

Nintendo's for 6yos, I'm too masculine and mature for Devil's Third and Bayonetta.

Honestly, there was a time when I only played Nintendo. I play on other consoles now, but the Big N still appeals to me most.
The King is dead. Long live the Geeng(y)!

Garf
NNID: Garfsona
PSN ID: GarfGuy
Steam ID: garfield069

Post by Garf » Sat May 07, 2016 11:58 am

i remember when nintendo made games somewhat regularly

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Sun May 08, 2016 8:00 am

I used to be a massive fan,but they've just done too many dickish things to fans over the last year-or-so that's totally destroyed any trust I ever had in them.

Things like:
- Endless stupid censorship
- Couldn't be arsed to support the Wii U properly
- Giving 3DS owners more content in Hyrule Warriors, and stopping Wii U owners from being able to get it
- Delaying Zelda U, just to get it on NX as well
- No attempt at keeping third parties
- Endless gooseberry fool amiibo for every game, that (outside of Smash) do nothing but lock content away (see the new Kirby series, for example)
- Animal Crossing: amiibo festival
- Releasing remakes/unfinished/bare-bones games at full price (see Zelda TP, Mario Tennis U, amiibo festival)
- Region locking
- Nintendo UK locking some amiibo in "special edition" game packs only in the UK
- Doing basically nothing with New 3DS
- Getting begged for money at the end of every turn in Badge Arcade
- Lazy ROM dumps on VC
- Adding heaps of "Nintendo Tax" onto everything (games, 3DS themes, amiibo cards)
- Bar making Splatoon, only trying to cash in on people's nostalgia, rather than actually make anything new

It's a shame, because I've loved the 3DS and saw how much potential the Wii U had, but Nintendo just wanted free money. Needless to say, I won't be buying an NX.
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!