POLL - Anyone here not even in to Nintendo?

Anything else you'd like to talk about? Post here.
>> How Do You Feel Right Now

You're on a Nintendo forum, but do you like Nintendo?

Yes! Love 'em!
63%
Meh, I'm indifferent to them
30%
No, I hate Nintendo.
7%

Total votes: 76

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Re: POLL - Anyone here not even in to Nintendo?

Post by RichardUK » Sun May 08, 2016 10:50 am

I agree with most of your points especially "Doing basically nothing with New 3DS" I have been very disappointed, I was expecting some titles that could only be played on the new version and yet there has only been one
RainbowGazelle wrote:I won't be buying an NX.
I bet that you will give in and buy one at some stage, Splatoon 2 is one reason
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Sun May 08, 2016 12:26 pm

Only if they fix a lot of those points.

And Splatoon 2 better be "Spla2n" on the logo.
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Sun May 08, 2016 3:40 pm

RainbowGazelle wrote:- Couldn't be arsed to support the Wii U properly
Yes Nintendo definitely deliberately didn't support the WiiU because they didn't want the thing they made to sell well. There are plenty of good Nintendo games on WiiU, just now they have obviously moved on to NX titles.
RainbowGazelle wrote:- Giving 3DS owners more content in Hyrule Warriors, and stopping Wii U owners from being able to get it
I don't really understand the problem with releasing a new, updated version of a game on a different platform. They didn't "stop" WiiU owners from being able to get the extra content, in fact they made an active effort to /give/ WiiU owners some of the content.

Also not really Nintendo.
RainbowGazelle wrote:- No attempt at keeping third parties
There is very little third party support on WiiU because it hasn't sold well and it can't support multiplatform games on par with PS4/X1, not because Nintendo don't want them.
RainbowGazelle wrote:- Getting begged for money at the end of every turn in Badge Arcade
It's a free to play game.
RainbowGazelle wrote:- Bar making Splatoon, only trying to cash in on people's nostalgia, rather than actually make anything new
Established brands generally do better than new IPs. Nintendo still try new things with their existing IPs - see Super Mario Maker.

Pineapple
NNID: Waddl.D
Steam ID: A Disaster

Post by Pineapple » Sun May 08, 2016 3:53 pm

Really glad people are starting to see Nintendo for the hacks they are now; they're a disgraceful company and ought to go under.

Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Post by Warmij » Sun May 08, 2016 4:21 pm

The Wii U is worse than the N-Gage

BonafideGeengster

Post by BonafideGeengster » Sun May 08, 2016 7:30 pm

Warmij wrote:The Wii U is worse than the N-Gage
Now we're going into life-or-death arguments...
The King is dead. Long live the Geeng(y)!

Ash
NNID: Ash_Harrison1
PSN ID: Ash_Harrison1
Steam ID: FightAshFight

Post by Ash » Sun May 08, 2016 9:48 pm

RainbowGazelle wrote:- Region locking
This one in particular pisses me off so much. I have a hacked 3DS so I can do a ton of stuff I'm not meant to do, but it legitimately takes 6 bytes worth of information to make the 3DS region free.

6 bytes.

There's absolutely ZERO reason for there not to be region free on the 3DS.

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Mon May 09, 2016 12:46 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:
RainbowGazelle wrote:- Getting begged for money at the end of every turn in Badge Arcade
It's a free to play game.
That rabbit can get quite aggressive though when you don't pay up
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon May 09, 2016 7:58 am

You should see the non-EU version

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Mon May 09, 2016 12:01 pm

I never understand why people get aggy with Nintendo for "cashing in on nostalgia", it's like they're suggesting people don't buy the games for any other reason than it's something they played in their childhood, as opposed to the games being something they actually enjoy playing
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Mon May 09, 2016 1:23 pm

To be honest I never understood why people ever use nostalgia as a bad thing whether it's for a favourite game, a reason to buy something or whatever. It's a valid emotional response to something you've enjoyed and if Ninty are all about rekindling the thing you liked as a kid then go for it, there's merit to those kinds of games.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:28 pm

How dare you have enjoyed your childhood.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

fluffyKittan
NNID: How wanders the dog
3DS Friend Code: In search of
PSN ID: timely relief
Xbox Gamertag: Trapped:
Steam ID: the boy laments

Post by fluffyKittan » Mon May 09, 2016 1:35 pm

Aren142 wrote:How dare you have enjoyed your childhood.
This sentence makes so much sense it's unbearable. I might actually have a little dance this time.
TSF sQuad life ~ pour one out for Sangmin
"People who work at Nisa:'Look, I have a job'." [Decretum, B&M employee circa May 2016]

Bix
NNID: Wiitabix
3DS Friend Code: 5429-6832-2984
PSN ID: Deadspace-Maniac
Steam ID: Deadspacemaniac

Post by Bix » Fri May 20, 2016 10:25 am

Why do we still love frisby on the beach and thrashing mum and dad at connect 4 or monopoly? nostalgia or memories.

I love Nintendo for trying new but reminding us how it used to be done.

I loved the furor that bayo2 was Nintendo exclusive and we could play the entirety of Bayo1 morph balling around as bayo-samus.

Splatoon 2 will be World of Splatcraft with opposing factions (or it should be - squids versus octopus (my spla2n would be).
Wishing my SONM friends a very happy & successful Q3 in gaming
TIME !

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:03 pm

Slightly concerning we still don't anything (really) about the NX. March 2017 seems like an odd, very arbitrary time to release a console particularly when they are scaling Wii U support right back. It gives me the feeling like they wanted the 2016 holidays - but are behind and won't be able to make it, with March 2017 being their kind of best case, most-doable projection of when they can rush it out on the market (possibly slightly flawed).

This is released in a few months and we still don't know anything about this console. I get the feeling they are behind or third parties are having trouble supporting it - it doesn't make any sense to me to not show this off at E3. I'm sure these Nintendo Directs draw a crowd, but they must be small in comparison to E3. This air of mystery around the NX can't be doing them Nintendo any favours (just like it didn't for the U - no one knew what it was until it came close to release and there are still a ton of people now that either don't know of existence or think it's an add-on to the Wii). A console is a major purchase for a lot of people, it's not like a game where it can get by on a few months of hype - potential consumers of consoles need time to know what's coming out and get excited for it.

I'm sure the NX will be great, would just like a few details at this point.
"soylent green is people"

Yubel
NNID: Alex-Haldane
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2474-9108
PSN ID: Alex-Haldane

Post by Yubel » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:31 pm

I neither love or hate Nintendo; on one hand their games are always polished and fun, but on the other, though I believe they're coming from a good place, I find them slightly ignorant.

For many people here, Nintendo aren't doing enough to draw attention away from what PS4/Xbox are offering -especially as we approach autumn - and we're all likely tired of rumours, speculation and analysis instead of anything substantial regarding NX.
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Super ONM. Superior Yubel.

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:31 pm

Yes I think the seemingly endless rumours are probably getting a little tired to everyone, one thing we do know about the March 2017 launch is, the NX was pushed back to March so Nintendo could make sure they had plenty of games for it, whether that means at launch or over the first year of the consoles life on the market I don't know but I'd prefer a steady stream of games rather than all of them being released within the launch window. Of course it could have been pushed back due to the tech side of things but I'd hope 7 months before it's meant to launch they had that aspect fairly nailed down.

As I kind of said in the NX thread in general Nintendo section a direct could end up just as good as a live show, granted it loses a little something from not being live with live crowd reactions but with a well made direct with plenty of media invited to an event afterwards to get hands on with the NX we should get a good range of impressions of what it can/could do and what it's like.

Hopefully we'll finally hear about it soon, feel like I've been waiting for ages to hear some official news about it.

Bleachyleachy

Post by Bleachyleachy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:15 pm

I find it amusing how people often seem to criticise Nintendo for NOT INNOVATING as if they're the only ones guilty of playing it safe with their IP
The eff do all the other top selling games year after year do for innovation? Assassin's Creed 400, Call of Duty: Crysis Edition, Fallout 4: Looking for Someone Else etc etc

Let's play a game. First read the following description:

A shooter with light stealth mechanics and an upgrade tree for your character's abilities and weapons. A light crafting system that requires you to horde various nik-naks. Sequences interrupted periodically by set-piece moments that require quicktime events.

Now then, which of the following chart topping games of recent years was I describing?

a) Bioshock
b) The Last of Us
c) Gears of War
d) The Evil Within
e) Uncharted
f) Tomb Raider (the reboots)
g) Watch_Dogs
h) Deus Ex: Human Revolution
i) Alien Isolation

I could probably add more if I thought about it. Now please don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that a lack of innovation is excusable on Nintendo's part, but when people unironically whine that nothing changes when almost every developer out there currently is just iterating on trends I can't help but roll my eyes

The fact is, like it or not, consumers don't give nearly as much of a toss about innovation as the average comments section on the internet would have you believe. If you're fed up of seeing the same wank over and over then do your own bit and stop voting for it with your cash etc etc

____________________________________________________________________________________________

To answer the actual question in the title....
I do like them. I like others won't defend them to the end. The fact remains that whatever their mistakes and shortcomings, they've still made many of my favourite games. Even if they never make a good game again, that won't change the fact that I loved Link's Awakening or Super Mario Galaxy. I personally feel that too many people get irrationally angry at developers for not continually delivering classic after classic. It's a shame to see dev's fall from grace, but whatever they do in the future can never retrospectively ruin their great works that are already out there. For that reason Nintendo will always have a place in my heart, the same way RareWare always will even though they died spiritually long ago

Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Post by Kappa » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:09 pm

human revolution ;)

Garf
NNID: Garfsona
PSN ID: GarfGuy
Steam ID: garfield069

Post by Garf » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:54 pm

i mean i don't think anyone is going to defend AAA gaming as a fountain of originality

Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Post by Warmij » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:36 am

Bleachyleachy wrote:A shooter with light stealth mechanics and an upgrade tree for your character's abilities and weapons. A light crafting system that requires you to horde various nik-naks. Sequences interrupted periodically by set-piece moments that require quicktime events.

Now then, which of the following chart topping games of recent years was I describing?

a) Bioshock
b) The Last of Us
c) Gears of War
d) The Evil Within
e) Uncharted
f) Tomb Raider (the reboots)
g) Watch_Dogs
h) Deus Ex: Human Revolution
i) Alien Isolation
From that descrtiption it is pretty clear you've never actually played a large amount of those games (which constitute less than 1/5th of critically acclaimed non-Nintendo IPs of recent years anyway). Please, point me to the quicktime events in BioShock, Deus Ex, and others there, and the upgrade trees in Uncharted... Also "stealth mechanics" aren't even in quite a few of those games either, and neither is crafting.

Congratulations on proving yourself ignorant af tho

Bleachyleachy

Post by Bleachyleachy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Warmij wrote:From that descrtiption it is pretty clear you've never actually played a large amount of those games
Congratulations on proving yourself ignorant af tho
Are you kidding? I've played every single one of them, not every one start to finish necessarily, but more than enough to suss them out. If we're being pedantic, no, not every single game has every single mechanic that I listed (in some cases that's a defense, a game without token press-X-to-not-die is all the better). In hindsight Gears probably should have escaped that list (though it still ticks all the TPS tropes of today's action games) but there's still so much crossover. I don't think there's any denying how ubiquitous the AAA action game is these days. RE4 basically popularised 3rd person shooting hordes of [undead/infected/cookie cutter bad guys] with upgradeable weapons and quicktime over 10 years ago and since then the major changes to the action genre are... That you can move and shoot simultaneously?

Let me illustrate it another way
Throwing bottles/debris will district the enemy and allow you to sneak away
Applies to The Last Of Us, Watch_Dogs, The Evil Within, Alien Isolation, (Possibly Deus Ex? Been years since I finished it so admittedly can't actually remember)
This isn't to say it's a flawed mechanic but it's such a commonly used one that it's dull as hell every time it crops up now. You pick up a brick in TLOU/TEW or you craft a noisemaker in W_D, but you ultimately do the same thing, throw it against a wall, wait for NPC to turna round, sneak him and do a silent takedown.
It's not that the mechanics in these games are bad, they're functional and inoffensive, but they're so recycled that I find it astonishing that some of these games get the praise they do

Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Post by Kappa » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:04 pm

platformers are so eton mess! all you do is run and jump on things and if you're lucky shoot projectiles or maybe kick someone, i don't know. and they all hurt you just for TOUCHING the enemy? what the eton mess that's retarded and what's even worse there's just pitfalls where you die in ONE hit??????????????????????????????

let's see which of the following games I was describing
1. super mario bros 3
2. banjo kazooie
3. super mario 64
4. mega man x
5. super mario galaxy
6. mega man zero
7. super mario world 2: yoshi's island
8. takeshi's challenge
9. any nintendo game you like to be honest

The fact is, like it or not, consumers don't give nearly as much of a toss about innovation as the average comments section on the internet would have you believe. If you're fed up of seeing the same wank over and over then do your own bit and stop voting for it with your cash etc etc
i mean jumping to higher places by bunnyhopping on an enemy is functional and inoffensive, but it's been recycled so much that it's astonishing that some of these games get the praise they do

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:29 pm

You're not wrong that mechanically AAA titles often fall into similar patterns and yeah, I don't know anyone who'd really claim AAA titles are where you see innovation for the most part, it's often seen in smaller titles first to test the waters rather than using budget on an experiment. AAA games exist to appeal to the market and the market is generally full of safe shoppers who will go and buy there annual CoD or AC or whatever. Not saying AAA games don't innovate because there's plenty that do but there's a reason most AAA games represent franchises rather than new IPs. You can find it every year in something, like right now there's a solid handful of games which insist in using a grappling hook mechanic, not really breaking the mold in the first place but for some reason it's just become a bit of a trope recently. Counter to it all though, is a lot of the time to group titles together you have to use broad strokes, i.e. DX and Skyrim share tropes with lockpicking/hacking minigames and parallels can be drawn between upgrade trees but when it gets down to it comparisons break down.

That said, yeah, it's silly to think that the fact that AAA titles often have glaring similarities with each other and often lack innovation in areas is in anyway a defense for Ninty doing it. It's not like these franchises don't get criticised for the similarities and tropes they use anyway, just for the most part, the general consumer doesn't care, just like they don't care that Ninty do it and have been doing it probably the longest and most obviously.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:31 pm

gee it's almost as if the things listed are tropes of a certain genre.