Politics General

Anything else you'd like to talk about? Post here.
>> How Do You Feel Right Now

General Election 2017

Conservatives
13%
Labour
54%
Liberal Democrats
17%
UKIP
2%
SNP
6%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Green Party
No votes
BNP
No votes
English Democrats
2%
DUP
No votes
Sinn Féin
2%
Ulster Unionist Party
No votes
Respect Party
No votes
Monster Raving Loony Party
No votes
The Pirate Party UK
2%
Independent
No votes
Conservatory Party
No votes
Other
2%
No One
2%

Total votes: 54

Shio hime

Re: Politics General

Post by Shio hime » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Career progression continues beyond 40k dude.

Regardless my original point still stands. The money that left the government's pocket in the first place doesn't change. Any money that I pay back over what I would have paid back under the old system and they're quids in.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

barrybarryk

Post by barrybarryk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:29 pm

Shio hime wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:19 pm
Career progression continues beyond 40k dude.
It sure does, but to pay back that loan you need to start at 40k day 1, and have above inflation pay rises every year for 30 years. Anything under those earnings doesn't cut it. That's why it's a total joke.
Shio hime wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:19 pm
Regardless my original point still stands. The money that left the government's pocket in the first place doesn't change. Any money that I pay back over what I would have paid back under the old system and they're quids in.
It wasn't the rejigging of the interest and cap that gooseberry fool this all up, it was tripling tuition fees from 3k to 9k a year. Now the borrowed amount is implausibly large and just won't be paid back in the vast, vast majority of cases.

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:35 pm

No but the point is that the total sum of money being recuperated is higher because people that paid it off previously now don't.
People that never would have paid it off still do not.

Therefore the amount that re-enters the system is higher as the amount being paid by HEFCE teaching grants is much lower.
Increasing fees to 9k was something like a £760m saving to the original taxpayer and the only people it actually inconveniences are people that would have repaid the loans before they were increased.

I do however feel that it's important to note that the entire system is clearly gooseberry fool beyond all repair and desperately requires some attention.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

Quarg Ranger
NNID: I wonder if
3DS Friend Code: writing in the
PSN ID: profile fields is
Xbox Gamertag: restricted?
Steam ID: Apparently not...

Post by Quarg Ranger » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:06 pm

If you're not close to paying it all back, it's unlikely that you'll ever get there before write-off (and in some cases, you'll be paying /a lot/ more than the original fee, and still not finishing, because of ridiculous interest rates). But you'll be paying it as a higher and higher real percentage of your income, seeing as the payment cap and levels have been retroactively changed such that they no longer rise with inflation (that is, you start paying back at £21,000, however much £21,000 is worth in the future). This was a change made after students took effective contract with the government. But the basics is that everyone will be paying for a long time.

There are arguments as to the cost to taxpayer of removing the fees entirely (not all particularly well founded, in my view the economic and social benefits far outstrip the cost, and that a higher corporation tax means that companies benefiting from graduate training would be the ones paying for the training, but some are still made). The thing that concerns gets me is this thing about interest, and the long term plans to sell the debt to private companies. This means that the government has to pay more because it pays the interest on all the debt when it's written off, instead of paying the pre-inflation cost. This is a huge cost, and no-one seems to be talking about it, because it's like 30 years away.

So basically they're both paying the cost of the degree, and paying a bunch of private interests the equivalent of any unpaid interest on all student loans, and saying that it's cheaper than just paying the cost of the degree. Bonkers.
Wrathy: Water's not just a drink. I mean, you can't have a bath in lemonade, wash the dishes in sprite or flush the toilet with irn bru.
--
Gallery | RedBubble | Never Forget
--
I used to have an original sig, now I'm just a mod.

Kappa
NNID: IT'S JUST THE
PSN ID: NATURE OF
Steam ID: MY GAME

Post by Kappa » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:21 am

what do my fellow users think of the recent outcomes of brexit negotiations? :evil:

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:30 am

lol
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:13 pm

What's a brexit?
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:45 pm

Met wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:13 pm
What's a brexit?
A new type of cereal, tasty little squares with various country flags on.
ImageImage

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:27 pm

it's a brie-exit, the exit of the brie variant of cheese from sale in the uk.