Guns <Serious Answers Only>

Anything else you'd like to talk about? Post here.
>> How Do You Feel Right Now

Guns, what about them?

Down with them
84%
Up with guns
16%

Total votes: 74

Crisps
NNID: Crisps

Re: Guns <Serious Answers Only>

Post by Crisps » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:12 pm

row101 wrote:I mean this shouldn't be an issue but just to clear things up a terrorist attack has to be politically motivated; his links to ISIS confirmed that. If it were an anti-gay Christian it would be the same. But other mass shootings like Sandy Hook or Virginia Tech are just psychopaths, not terrorism.
row I find your ableism here very offensive; would Bernie approve???
you're a virgin who can't drive.

Cribs
Steam ID: Cribster18

Post by Cribs » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:52 am

bernies too busy getting CRUNK mother gooseberry fool he dont care anymore ###tokeup####

JacquesLEB

Post by JacquesLEB » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:33 am

Warmij wrote:The problem is the USA and the UK are two incredibly different places.

In the USA, despite the current dreadful gun situation (most recently the horrible Orlando shootings), putting the same level of controls on guns would just end up with innocent civilians handing over their guns and criminals who hold unregistered firearms not doing so. This creates a massive imbalance because everyone and their dog has a gun in the USA. Over here gun control is a very good thing and works. In the USA, yes more gun control is needed but not to as large an extent as over here because it simply wouldn't work.
I agree with Reggie, at this point there is too many guns in circulation that having heavy restrictions on guns would not stop dangerous people from obtaining them, the laws here and in places like in Australia are irrelevant, it would only make it harder for innocent civilians from obtaining them.

However background checks and a federal system of gun licenses would be a far better start without violating the second amendment (USA loves that amendment). I find it funny when they think guns like assault rifles should be treated the same as other weapons considering muskets were around when the document was written.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_ ... s_by_state

Some of the state laws for guns are absurd.

row101
NNID: row101
3DS Friend Code: Hello world.
PSN ID: Why are you reading?
Xbox Gamertag: Why am I typing?
Steam ID: Why are we alive?

Post by row101 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:50 pm

Well, I'm watching the Senate vote on some new proposals right now on C-SPAN, all of them look set to be rejected even though 90% of Americans support these specific proposals. How Republicans can possibly justify this I have no idea, but it's clear that there won't be an bipartisan action even after a tragedy on the scale of Orlando.

I may support the second amendment generally, but I side with the Democrats on common-sense gun controls.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - George Washington

Dix
PSN ID: zXEpic-ToxicXz

Post by Dix » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:01 am

As Reg said, simply applying a ban on fire arms just wouldn't do. Restrictions should be made, so things can better in the future, but the amount of guns still in circulation would make a ban pretty much obsolete. Any step towards making it more difficult for the average person to just go out and buy a gun would be the clear next step. You can buy shotguns at gooseberry fool Wallmart for gooseberry fool sakes.
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

row101

Post by row101 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:36 pm

But as was shown yesterday, the GOP and Dems don't want to compromise. The Republicans tried to get eton mess NRA-endorsed amendments passed which barely did anything to solve actual problems, the Dems tried some mostly reasonable amendments which the GOP opposed. For any action to occur there has to either be bipartisan support, which is damn near impossible right now, or the Dems in control of the House, Senate and Presidency which probably won't happen with either next President given the GOP domination of the House. I don't think we'll see any significant action in congress for the next eight or so years, to be honest.

I mean I've been trying to show how a "ban" on guns is completely unreasonable earlier in the thread, but I'd also note that in terms of public opinion whilst most Americans support gun control, the majority do not support a ban on either handguns or assault rifles (source).

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:04 pm

row101 wrote:I mean I've been trying to show how a "ban" on guns is completely unreasonable earlier in the thread
Really? Because if you did you worded it really poorly and you argued it even worse, what with the whole "It's a fundamental right that everyone should be able to have one" spiel.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Tbf in amongst all the dumb bits he did argue against a ban on guns, it's just that that was also dumb because nobody was suggesting that trying to take guns away from Americans is anything other than completely unfeasible.
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

row101

Post by row101 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:09 pm

Is it not possible for somebody to be in favour of gun control and also in favour of the liberties guaranteed by the Second Amendment? I happen to support both, and I happen to think that's the view of the majority of the American people, especially given that 73% believe the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear arms.

But wow. Dems in the House are going a little crazy -- holding a sit in and basically suspending the normal process in the House. Absolutely remarkable, I'm watching it on C-SPAN at the moment. Speaker Ryan tried to cut off the cameras but now one of the Democrats is broadcasting it via periscope. And some Democratic Senators are joining, Elizabeth Warren amongst them. This is incredible to watch -- it almost, just for a second, seems like these elected officials are actively standing up for their constituents. It resembles more of a Black Lives Matter protest than a legislative session.

barrybarryk

Post by barrybarryk » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:17 pm

Except they won't accept any compromise with the Republicans (who are also standing up for their constituents) and aren't a majority of the house, it's doomed to failure before it even begins.

But hey it's election time, gotta get those names in the papers.

row101

Post by row101 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:29 pm

Oh, I never expected it to result in anything substantial with the GOP-dominated House. Rather it's a show of solidarity.

Most of the Republican bills on gun control are eton mess NRA-endorsed ones which do nothing to solve real problems, like the ones Democrats rejected in the Senate yesterday. Republicans stand up to their lobbyists more than they do their constituents -- why is Speaker Ryan refusing to even allow a vote on this legislation?

barrybarryk

Post by barrybarryk » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:37 pm

Yeah regardless of how Democrats dislike Republicans, if they don't compromise they won't achieve anything. Their "show of solidarity" is just a massive waste of everyone's time.

I'm all for the US reforming gun control, quite frankly how slack they are about it is insane, but the democrats protest is just gooseberry fool childish.

Fabong

Post by Fabong » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:30 pm

row101 wrote:This is incredible to watch -- it almost, just for a second, seems like these elected officials are actively standing up for their constituents. It resembles more of a Black Lives Matter protest than a legislative session.
Scathing social commentary and fantastic use of the double--hyphen great job with this post.
#ff Garf

JacquesLEB

Post by JacquesLEB » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:47 pm

barrybarryk wrote:Yeah regardless of how Democrats dislike Republicans, if they don't compromise they won't achieve anything. Their "show of solidarity" is just a massive waste of everyone's time.

I'm all for the US reforming gun control, quite frankly how slack they are about it is insane, but the democrats protest is just gooseberry fool childish.
Why would you want to compromise with the GOP, they are lunatics?

Obama has been constantly compromising with the GOP and has been awful, even offering to even cut social security. If you compromise with ultra paleo-conservative you are still going to get an awful result regardless.

barrybarryk

Post by barrybarryk » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:10 pm

JacquesLEB wrote:Why would you want to compromise with the GOP, they are lunatics?
They're elected. It's how politics is done, and any democrat in the house that isn't committed to the democratic process should have been dragged out of there kicking and screaming long ago.
JacquesLEB wrote:Obama has been constantly compromising with the GOP and has been awful, even offering to even cut social security. If you compromise with ultra paleo-conservative you are still going to get an awful result regardless.
Not getting an ideal result for the minority isn't awful, getting no result whatsoever and having pictures of grown adults behaving like spoilt kids splashed all over the media is awful.

The buck stops with the Democrats & Republicans in the house, if they can't get a result for their constituents they've only themselves to blame. If you can't get a majority in a vote and vote against compromises put to you by the majority, any electorate with any sort of sense left would have binned you long ago.

This insanity is exactly why the US gets nothing done. Anyone that thinks it's good their elected representatives reject democracy is a moron.

masa
NNID: nonoriri.k
3DS Friend Code: 1908-1215-2187
PSN ID: Cervanres
Xbox Gamertag: nonoriri k
Steam ID: masakisu

Post by masa » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:55 pm

Its not about wanting to compromise with anyone, its gooseberry fool absolutely necessary, the american political system is literally built on compromise

We all know that despite the democrat sit in being kinda cool i guess its ultimately a waste of time and nothing will change, if it hasnt happened after the other thousand times why is this time any different

うさぎ

Post by うさぎ » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:44 pm

go bleach your roots, creep.
instagram | twitter

row101

Post by row101 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:44 pm

Giving guns to civilian teachers with 3 days of training is pretty dumb imo, but in the end the only real short-term solution to school shootings is more guns to take care of the problem -- but preferably in the hands of armed security who can neutralise a threat before they cause any damage.

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:21 am

うさぎ wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:44 pm
how not to respond to gun violence
f.ucking hell that's moronic

"Others argued that if more “good guys with guns” were on the scene"
it's like a f.ucking cartoon how is this real

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:25 am

gooseberry fool hell America get your eton mess together
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt