UK EU Referendum

Anything else you'd like to talk about? Post here.
>> How Do You Feel Right Now

UK EU Referendum

Stay
75%
Leave
15%
Undecided
10%

Total votes: 102

AlterntiveAntagonist

Re: UK EU Referendum

Post by AlterntiveAntagonist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:07 pm

I can hardly take solace in the fact that we won't see Farage again when he got what he wanted.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Please just let me have this one thing
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

masa
NNID: nonoriri.k
3DS Friend Code: 1908-1215-2187
PSN ID: Cervanres
Xbox Gamertag: nonoriri k
Steam ID: masakisu

Post by masa » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:38 am

Bets hes freeing himself up for a peerage?

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:07 pm

1) So the Conservative Leadership is very likely to be down to Leadsom or May. Really quite Chilling that May who has been quite vocal against the European Court of Human Rights, wanted to replace Human rights, advocated the unpopular counter-terrorism bill they first started talking about last year could be Prime Minister at a time when the Country is outside the protection of the EU.

2) Labour. I like Corbyn but suspect he'll step down sometime soon unfortunetly. I previously said he would hang-on until the Chilcot report was released so he could [from the position of Labour Leader] dam Labour's intervention into Iraq and call for Blair to be trialled for War Crimes.

Whilst, I like him on some levels he was a bit of a disappointment as an opposition. At a time when the Tories were talking about cutting tax credits, disabilty claims public and local services, social secuirty entitlements, housing benefits and the NHS, freezing child benefit, shifting contracts from the public to private sector, making changes to student loans and junor doctor contracts etc, etc - he could have gone after the Tories a little more forcfully.

Though the both the way grass-root Blairites who always wanted him out are using the fallout of the EU referendum and the right-wing media (We are out of the EU, the value of the £ is all over the place, it's touch-and-go whether we will part of the single market - if we are the conditions of us doing so we will mean still having open migration and outside legislation, racial hate crimes have increased, we [arguably] have less voice on the world stage, Scotland may well have another Independence referendum but lets talk about Labours internal problems non-stop) treated him was pretty appalling.

3) One point amongst many; animal welfare will probably be worse off for us being outside of the EU. As i understand most laws and legislation that protect farm animals, "wild" life and research animals come from the EU and with us being outside the EU we won't be able to influence the European Commission and EU member states. https://blogs.rspca.org.uk/insights/201 ... l-welfare/ https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... laws-cruel

4) I don't feel we should have another referendum. As loathsome as both the Leave and Remain campaigns were this was pretty much as democratic as it can be - the majority won. I didn't get the result I wanted but if leaves passions outweighed Remain apathy to vote, if people made protest votes thinking they wouldn't amount to anything when every poll indicated how close the result would be, if people believed lies and rthertic when just like every general election no one is legally bound to keep any of the promises they make (Politicians will say whatever they think people will belive - we basically get the campaigns and results we deserve. It's weird to me Farage (who isn't Prime Minister) was pressed about whether £350,000,000 would go into the NHS like he has any influence over that ) that's our (the publics) fault unfortunetly.
"soylent green is people"

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:32 pm

Well, unsurprisingly eton mess's already hitting British science hard with lots of funding closing up already and UK researchers being dropped from EU projects. One good thing about a new PM stepping up so soon is that negotiations can start all the sooner and how the UK will contribute to these projects in the future as a non-EU state but gooseberry fool, still going to be that £1bn a year blackhole of EU money we got for research.
Destiny is Destiny.

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:08 pm

Good thing we took back control and showed those so-called experts.
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:59 pm

Brexit has caused Pokemon TCG stuff to get super expensive. Booster packs are now like £3.69. That's 20p more than they used to be. And the Generations boxes are also a quid more.

I am mildly outraged.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

Karl

Post by Karl » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:24 pm

JenovaPX wrote:Well, unsurprisingly eton mess's already hitting British science hard with lots of funding closing up already and UK researchers being dropped from EU projects. One good thing about a new PM stepping up so soon is that negotiations can start all the sooner and how the UK will contribute to these projects in the future as a non-EU state but gooseberry fool, still going to be that £1bn a year blackhole of EU money we got for research.
I had a progression viva yesterday after the first year of my Ph.D., and I was asked to verify whether I will still have access to all the resources and funding I need to complete the research now that we're set for Brexit (very luckily I will, though that infrastructure is set to collapse shortly after I finish). Some departments are getting a 50% budget cut due to this. It's truly a brutal time to be a scientist in the UK.

Tsunade

Post by Tsunade » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:51 pm

Theresa May is going to be Prime Minister when Cameron steps down... Tomorrow.
Thatcher 2.0.
eton mess.

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:17 pm

Karl wrote:I had a progression viva yesterday after the first year of my Ph.D., and I was asked to verify whether I will still have access to all the resources and funding I need to complete the research now that we're set for Brexit (very luckily I will, though that infrastructure is set to collapse shortly after I finish). Some departments are getting a 50% budget cut due to this. It's truly a brutal time to be a scientist in the UK.
Some of the reports took a look at Oxford as an example, 60% of their scientific funding is from the EU so yeah, that 50% range for a budget cut seems somewhat indicative of a good number of university departments now across the country. A lot of people have been predicting there's going to be a pretty big "brain drain" following this since obviously a lot of people are just going to go abroad for post-grad work and positions now.
Destiny is Destiny.

euan707
NNID: Cameron
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2551-9050

Post by euan707 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:40 pm

Tsunade wrote:Theresa May is going to be Prime Minister when Cameron steps down... Tomorrow.
Thatcher 2.0.
eton mess.
I've heard from multiple sources that Theresa May is actually Thatcher's final Horcrux.
Last Man Standing
What Did We Play? - WiiU

barrybarryk

Post by barrybarryk » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:09 pm

Tsunade wrote:Theresa May is going to be Prime Minister when Cameron steps down... Tomorrow.
Thatcher 2.0.
eton mess.
With a bit of luck common sense will prevail, the Labour party will pull their heads out of their collective ass and demand an election. Atleast then people can vote to give May a mandate to dismantle human rights and employment legislation and deregulate a whole heap of industries in some dumb attempt to make the UK competitive with the third world.

Quarg Ranger
NNID: I wonder if
3DS Friend Code: writing in the
PSN ID: profile fields is
Xbox Gamertag: restricted?
Steam ID: Apparently not...

Post by Quarg Ranger » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:35 am

I turned down a PhD offer recently (it wasn't the right thing for me), and I'm looking to apply for next year to do Theoretical Physics.

Basically there is going to be no funding. Theory departments are the first to go when funding goes.

This EU thing might have destroyed my future.

Article 50 needs to be invoked as soon as possible, so negotiations between EU and British science and the government can start up properly. I know that a lot of industries are facing similar challenges.
Wrathy: Water's not just a drink. I mean, you can't have a bath in lemonade, wash the dishes in sprite or flush the toilet with irn bru.
--
Gallery | RedBubble | Never Forget
--
I used to have an original sig, now I'm just a mod.

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:36 am

Yeah, every project I've looked at since the vote that would have been funded has either been pulled, labelled as uncertain or just become an unfunded project. Literally career destroying for some people, just hope I can manage to work something out sooner or later.
Destiny is Destiny.

Karl

Post by Karl » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:42 am

You're both physicists, right? If you require full funding then I would suggest applying abroad if possible. It was of course traditionally the tougher route into a Ph.D., but it may now be the path of least resistance: it will be business as usual across North America and Japan, and still probably easier to find funding in Europe than here. Very best of luck to you both.

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:19 pm

Nah, Jen does dinosaurs and thus is responsible for ruining one of the coolest things ever.

I'm not saying you deserve it...but y'know...feathers.
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

Quarg Ranger

Post by Quarg Ranger » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:42 pm

Yeah I'm Physics. I turned down an opportunity in Singapore partly because of the distance thing. I'm hoping that things will stabilise in a few months on this point, and I'll be able to make applications (universities can't just shut down). I might look now to places like Canada, which is so pro-science at the moment. I would really like to work in Scotland, I think. My heritage might mean that a split from the UK could allow me dual citizenship perhaps.

I'm hoping that if the worst comes to worst, my Masters supervisor or my Personal Tutor will be happy to take me on, but not sure how likely that is.
Wrathy: Water's not just a drink. I mean, you can't have a bath in lemonade, wash the dishes in sprite or flush the toilet with irn bru.
--
--

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:48 pm

gooseberry fool accept that they're a thing and get on with it Met. Archaeopteryx didn't just hatch with feathers out of gooseberry fool nowhere.

And yeah, Canada, USA or Germany are realistically the best shots for funding anything in my subject now. As I said, with significantly better opportunities abroad this country will likely see a steep decline in the number of scientific workers attracted to here, just no reason to stick around or come here if there's neither the money or the jobs around.
Destiny is Destiny.

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:24 pm

JenovaPX wrote:gooseberry fool accept that they're a thing and get on with it Met. Archaeopteryx didn't just hatch with feathers out of gooseberry fool nowhere.
How do you know? Were you there?
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:36 pm

Yes
Destiny is Destiny.

Bleachyleachy

Post by Bleachyleachy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:44 pm

Quarg Ranger wrote:Yeah I'm Physics. I turned down an opportunity in Singapore partly because of the distance thing.
Not that I'm doing a PhD (but now that I'm a graduate I'm looking for jobs etc) but I'd have thought the chance to do a PhD overseas in Singapore would have been awesome. You lot have my sympathies though, I know a guy who was on track to do a PhD but received a letter following Brexit that they had to retract his offer as they could no longer guarantee the funding. Disappointed doesn't even come close

Quarg Ranger

Post by Quarg Ranger » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:11 pm

Yeah, the opportunity was fantastic, it could have been a brilliant experience. The supervisor was amazing too, and a good university. It's just the project wasn't what I applied for, and I wasn't really excited by it at all to be honest. I couldn't see where it was going to go. If the project was bad, but I enjoyed myself away, then I would have been happy. If I hated living away, but the project was incredible, then I would have been happy. The risk of not enjoying either and being stuck in it for four years would not be something I could bear. Especially when everything else I applied for I would have been ridiculously excited to do.

Throw in all the stress of moving every 6 months, finding temporary accommodation etc., and I just couldn't take it as a massive risk. I would prefer to take the sensible decision in this case, and apply for January or next September. Especially as I already had a reasonable backup plan.

I stand by my decision, it was the right thing to do for me, however other people might have responded to the offer :).
--
--

Psychopath

Post by Psychopath » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:23 pm

This reliance on the EU was/is part of the problem. UK Scientists wont be worse off forever.

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:11 pm

Psychopath wrote:This reliance on the EU was/is part of the problem. UK Scientists wont be worse off forever.
No, the problem is a lack of prioritisation of research from the British government and no, that's not something that's likely to change. UK science is going to suffer for the foreseeable future, it's just an unfortunate inevitability unless the government pulls money it doesn't have out of the aether to pump into it. Reliance on a body like the EU which does fantastic things for science, research and technology (I mean just look at how well Ireland's done out of it as well as the amount of money we were getting) wasn't a problem.
Destiny is Destiny.

Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Post by Warmij » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:05 pm

Psychopath wrote:This reliance on the EU was/is part of the problem. UK Scientists wont be worse off forever.
Yes, the "problem" of having far greater collaboration and much larger investment and opportunities was totally hampering scientists!