Anime Thread TM - more jojo than /a/

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
Shio hime

Re: Anime Thread TM - more jojo than /a/

Post by Shio hime » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:14 am

She makes some pretty eton mess moves throughout the whole of s2 tbh, end of the last episode in particular.
She's not worst, but she's definitely behind Yukino, Hiratsuka, and Iroha.

Also don't forget to watch the OVAs.

new page new me
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:57 pm

Sinking back into Zeta after a couple of months falling off of it. Holy eton mess this was a mistake going back into the middle of things and only roughly remembering where things were
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:36 pm

Dragon maid had no right to be this good. Such a simple but fun premise for a SoL

Kobayashi is such a sweet mc, the little family shes started with Tohru and Kanna if cute af. Would drink the night away with

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:14 pm

>When he didn't read the manga first
smh
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:05 pm

adaption good

no regret

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Finished Oregairu (still need to watch final OVA though).

Yui is still best girl. I don't get the hate. I don't feel she made any particularly awful decisions in season 2. Her actions at the end were a bit questionable but perfectly reasonable IMO.

I mean Chistmas cake sensei is out of the running because she'd obviously win same as best trap Totsuka they're just too good to count so I can't really count them.

Yukino started off good and she's good when she's laying down some brutal savage burns but when she's acting like the shyest gooseberry fool ever she can gooseberry fool off tbh.

Iroha is alright but she can get a little annoying at times.

Haruna can gooseberry fool right off easy worst girl jesus every time she's on screen I actually mutter "oh gooseberry fool off".

Miura is dank love that liverpool tart ngl.

I want a season 3 where 8man realises he's gay for best trap and we spend a season partaking in glorious BL moments between Totsuka and 8man. All told through the perspective of fujoshi chan.

Someone needs to marry Christmas cake sensei I'll happily do it tbh.

all in all 9/10 verging on 10/10 mostly because 8man is a great protag.

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:16 pm

>literally ruins their friendship to try and force 8man to pick her when it's totally obvious that 8man doesn't want to have to pick and values them both as friends

LUL

I also know the true ending so I guess that doesn't help.

Hiratsuka is mine go away.

I gave both seasons an 8, it was reasonable but not 9 material.

edit lul
Just nopticed this great bant.
>thinks Yui is justified
>thinks Haruno should gooseberry fool off
???
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:09 am

Oregairu was alright, 6/10. Remember second season feeling slow compared to the first, probably because of the shift away from club activities and more on the focus of Iroha who I didn't really care for. I'd say Sensei and Yukino were best with Yui somewhere in the middle. Haruno was a cow, yeah

i had to laugh at the ep where 8man just wanted to play his gosh darn psp but got dragged into drama instead

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Season 2 was slow because of how it was distributed over the light novels.
We may or may not get season 3 because there isn't really enough material left to be worth another 12 episode season. It might get finished off with OVAs.

Haruno is just being an annoying older sibling, pretty good representation of one too.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Shio hime wrote:>literally ruins their friendship to try and force 8man to pick her when it's totally obvious that 8man doesn't want to have to pick and values them both as friends

LUL

I also know the true ending so I guess that doesn't help.

Hiratsuka is mine go away.

I gave both seasons an 8, it was reasonable but not 9 material.

edit lul
Just nopticed this great bant.
>thinks Yui is justified
>thinks Haruno should gooseberry fool off
???
You can't just stagnate things forever. It's clear that they both like him. Yui just tried to force everything out into the open so they could all move past it.

Haruno and Yui aren't really comparable? Firstly, Haruno is an outsider, she has nothing to do with the group so she should stick her nose out of it. Secondly, the reason I hate Haruno is because she actively juts shows up to stir eton mess up, plays a part in causing plenty of drama for Yukino, has clear vile intentions towards Yukino, and in general likes to cause drama when she knows that said drama doesn't affect her.

Also, I like outgoing girls, shy quiet girls usually piss me off with a few exceptions, Yukino is a slight exception when she's dropping the diss track but when she's not she's just boring. Yui takes the bull by the horns and goes for it, I respect that.

totsuka is still the best girl I'd smash 100

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Yui and Haruno aren't directly comparable in the respect that they don't both do the same things. Despite that you're clearly showing bias towards one of the characters for basically no reason.
Yui goes out of her way to cause eton mess that she knows is going to gooseberry fool everything up cause she thinks she stands to gain. If she was less cowardly about it she would have asked 8man herself, but because she doesn't want to be the bad guy of the situation she's attempting to force 8man to choose between them. Scummy as gooseberry fool.
Haruno just causes trouble for her little sister cause she thinks it's funny, older siblings do that. Whilst not particularly helpful or nice she wants to see how Yukino will deal with it. She's well aware of the fact that Yukino is living in her shadow and this is one of the ways that she's making sure Yukino tries to do things for herself once in a while. She's a bit of a trouble maker and her ways of doing things are a bit convoluted, but she's far from the worst character. I don't think her intentions are vile, watching your younger siblings live in your shadow is pretty eton mess as well, she's just trying to force Yukino to grow in a different way.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:48 pm

I think her confessing in private would be the worse thing to do, and would only serve to ruin the friendships more. If 8man said yes, then Yukino would be hurt, if 8man said no, then things would be awkward between Yui and 8man. By getting everything out into the open she lowers her chances of being chosen actually, as it now gives 8man another option.

In the situation she created, here's what happens.

8man now knows that both of them like him.
8man tell them he'll think about it.
Most likely 8man decides on neither of them and wants to stay friends with them both.
They go back to how things used to be, understanding that 8man isn't interested.
Further down the line, either 8man realises he likes one of them, or just realises that he's a true trap man and confesses to Totsuka, aka, the true ending.

of course this is anime and logical thinking is thrown out the gooseberry fool window so what will actually end up happening will probably be a eton mess. Regardless I don't think that what Yui did was particularly bad. My bias towards Yui is like I said, she is actually involved in this, Haruno is an outsider with nothing to do with it, she has no right butting in and trying to cause drama. This directly affects Yui, it's perfectly reasonable for her to take that action imo.

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:39 pm

No, in this situation she has now forced Yukino to reveal her feelings, something Yui knows she isn't in the right emotional state to do because she lacks the courage. By revealing her intentions in this way she is trying to force Yukino to make a decision, which is something 8man clearly isn't happy with hence his stepping in. By doing what she does she puts herself in a win win (ish) situation. Either Yukino says nothing and Hachiman doesn't act, leaving the group to maintain the facade of the friendship they've been holding together for most of this season with each of them knowing how the others feel and ignoring the fact to keep the group together (a very Hayama way to behave) this would only lead the group to sour with time and would probably ultimately cost them all everything. Or Yukino has to confess which smashes the whole thing wide open, forcing Hachiman to choose and she is confident she would win so she gets the guy she likes and Yukino would be the pariah. In her idealised situation, that she's talking about when she references being greedy, she gets to win Hachiman and keep Yukino as a friend, but that's just being naive. Her win win is also a lose lose situation though, in situation 1 it is likely that the friendship would deteriorate and when they went to college it would all end, something she doesn't want and she could equally lose to Yukino and end the pariah. She actually attempts to smash the group to reforge anew which is incredibly risky given the discussions earlier in the episodes about how they are all defined by how the other perceive them with their masks and the admittance from both Hachiman and Yukino that they need to help others to help themselves, they do not know how to fix their own problems alone. Yui makes her move here, because what she actually suspects will happen is that given more time Hachiman and Yukino will admit to eachother they want to be together and are ready for it, Hachiman leaves Yukino with the romantic penguins as a sign that they both know they want that but he isn't ready. Yui offers to leave Yukino alone with Hachiman so she can act, but Yukino isn't ready either and declines. So Yui has to move now and risk it all to actually stand a chance of gaining anything. Also by doing this the way she has Yui is forcing someone else to solve her problem for her, whther it be Hachiman or Yukino, rather than being proactive about it.

Also a note about Haruno.
Haruno is jealous that (as she sees it) Yukino didn't have to grow up with all the expectations of her that she did and could have made her owen choices about what to do, but rather than do that opted to follow in her footsteps. She doesn't like how things turned out for her and is angry that Yukino is doing the same things and so is acting out. What she fails to appreciate is that she did have those options, she just didn't see them at the time.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:38 pm

good points, I see what you mean. I agree that it's not a good decision, but I just don't think there's any better options either. The group is gooseberry fool, they need to sort their eton mess out ASAP before there's no chance of success. Yukino won't confess for a long time if left alone, leaving the group stuck in a situation where they're all faking a friendship, in that situation 8man is the only one who gets what he wants, and even then, it all falls apart eventually, leaving all of them with nothing. Alternatively, Yui confesses alone, which can end one of 2 ways - either 8man accepts her feelings and starts dating her, crushing Yukino and leaving her in a eton mess position than any other scenario, or alternatively, 8man rejects Yui's feelings, crushing Yui and leaving her in a worse case scenario. 8man isn't confessing to anyone any time soon, so he's sort of out of the picture. The only other scenario is Yukino confessing alone before Yui does, which is the same situation as Yui confessing first but reversed, if 8man accepts, Yui gets crushed, if he rejects, Yukino gets crushed.

In a situation like this, where 2 friends both like the same guy, there's very little options you can take (if any at all) to please everyone, especially in highschool when emotions are high and rational thinking is out the window. No matter what you do, either the friendship stagnates and dissolves over time, or someone ends up getting hurt. Yui taking the action she took accelerates the situation, yes, in a bad way, but I think pretty much any other way would be just as bad.

It's selfish on her part but I don't blame her really. The friendship is kinda fated to fail from the get go, all she did was accelerate the fail state and give herself a slightly higher chance being chosen than if she lets the friendship stagnate and say nothing.

I don't know what situation would have been better. What would you have suggested Yui do instead? None of the options I can think of seem very appealing to me.

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:55 pm

Yui says it herself, she wants it all but can't have it. So she has to choose between 8man and the group and chooses 8man. Yukino also straight up lies to keep the group intact, choosing the group over herself. Ultimately this is a situation only 8man can resolve, and he's unable to thanks to how he is personally. As you said there is no ideal scenario here, but to force the issue is selfish and when she's been a "nice girl" up to this point and then deliberately chooses not to be is a conscious decision on her part to eton mess things up. Another way for her to maintain the friendship would be to help Yukino confess to 8man, because she knows he would accept if she did. That would involve her sucking up her affection for 8man which would suck, but she gets to keep her friends.

It's all messy, but it's supposed to be that's what the anime is about after all.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:09 pm

I don't think Yui was ever a "nice girl" she says some stuff pretty early on that makes it clear she's selfish.

Like you said it's a messy situation, the anime does roughly translate to "My teen romcom is wrong as I expected".

Hopefully we get a movie or something to wrap up the story. P sure I know how it's gonna go but I'm still curious to find out.

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:32 am

Pretty sure the official title is My Teen Romantic Comedy Situation Normal All gooseberry fool Up.

She claims to be a nice girl earlier in the season and does do quite a few selfless thinsg throughout, however I think she's proven to ultimately be selfish with her actions. Part of demonstrating that she isn't nice to everyone though is in itself a demonstration to 8man that she's nice to him because she chooses to be (because she likes him).
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:31 pm

finally started Kuzu no Honkai and it's p good so far, I love hyper dramatic romance eton mess and this is p much exactly that, the situation is so unbelievably gooseberry fool and it;s great. Reminds me of Himegoto tbh.

Decretum
NNID: Kotchi miteru?
PSN ID: Kotchi minaide!
Xbox Gamertag: Wanawanawana
Steam ID: Wana nanda??

Post by Decretum » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Himegoto is yet another thing you have terrible opinions that don't make sense for
And I looked, and behold, a pale horse! And its rider’s name was Death

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:16 pm

rude

jimbob555

Post by jimbob555 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:30 pm

im happy with this

Garf
NNID: Garfsona
PSN ID: GarfGuy
Steam ID: garfield069

Post by Garf » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:13 pm

thought that was Koichi at first on the left

jimbob555

Post by jimbob555 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:40 pm

dats koichi

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:57 pm

TOO TALL

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:28 pm

Feels like it's toned down too much, like that's an inevitability but thing like the uniform designs aren't ostentatious enough
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.