Forgotten & Underrated Gems

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Forgotten & Underrated Gems

Post by D.J » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:54 am

Over the years, there have been many films which despite being genuinely excellent, have ended up dropping off the radar and just generally been forgotten about by the wider population.

Here therefore, are some of what i consider to be forgotten/underrated gems, and be sure to add your own choices too...

Toys

A weird and wonderful Robin Williams movie, the plot was utterly bizarre, yet somehow, it all worked brilliantly thanks to some truly ingenious set design, and some excellent performances from not only Williams himself, but also Joan Cusack, Michael Gambon, and LL Cool J.

In Bruges

Dark, violent, but also very, very funny, Ralph Fiennes in particular is on top form here as a gangland boss who sent two of his employees to Bruges to lay low after messing up a hit.

Surf's Up

When you ask folk to name some quality animated films, then they will tend to discuss movies by Pixar or Dreamworks. Yet this 2007 tale about surfing penguins was something very special indeed.

:)
Last edited by D.J on Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Dix
PSN ID: zXEpic-ToxicXz

Re: Forgotten & Underrated Gems

Post by Dix » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:32 am

Being There. Directed by Hal Ashby (Harold and Maude) and starring Peter Sellers as a simple minded character that is completely different to anything Sellers has played otherwise.
Great film.

The Fisher King. Starring Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges directed by Terry Gilliam? Really great film too.

Win Win. Really surprisingly nice story about an amateur wrestling coach who comes across a boy after promising to be the legal guardian of elderly man after becoming short on cash.

Not so much forgotten, just ones that aren't quite so well known. Could list many many more.
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

Mephisto
3DS Friend Code: 1177-7344-0983
Steam ID: mr_bananas

Post by Mephisto » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:40 am

You Can Count On Me (2000) - i was amazed how much i loved this, it's seems like a standard family drama starring Mark Ruffalo and Laura Linney on paper but the performances are so good and the character interactions perfectly done. I'd say it was one of the 10 best films of the 00s and i still can't believe myself, i mean just look at the poster.

3:10 to Yuma (1957) - one of the best ever westerns, remade into a decent film recently, tends to be shunned out in favour of John Ford, Peckinpah and Leone but it's more intelligent and looks better than most of those directors' works.

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) - another film with a (crappy) remake. this is honestly one of the most funny, intense and wonderfully well told action films i've ever seen. probably my all time favourite actually. i don't think i've ever seen it mentioned in any high regard anywhere sadly.

I Know Where I'm Going! (1945) - a classic British drama from Powell and Pressburger, not so much forgotten but severely underrated.

High Hopes (1988) - the first feature length film by my favourite director, Mike Leigh, loads of recognizable actors but it's more or less only remembered for being his first film, he'd go on to make his biggest hits in the 90s and 00s, though this is still amazing.

Last Orders (2001) - can't believe this has been forgotten, it's got Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren in it.

A Cottage On Dartmoor (1929) - a British silent film that does Hitchcockian before the word existed. frankly it's amazingly ahead of its time and i'm surprised Anthony Asquith isn't up there with the works of Eisenstein and Griffith as one of early cinema's greatest pioneers.

The Best Intentions (1992) - Swedish masterpiece by Bille August

How I Ended This Summer (2010) - Russian film from this decade, i can't remember how i saw it but glad i'm did. my favourite of the decade thus far.

Ohikkoshi (Moving) (1993) - saw this the other day, it doesn't exist on DVD as far as i'm aware, but it's beautiful. it makes me sad this isn't held in the high regard it deserves.

I agree with those first two Dix, amazing works.

Edd
3DS Friend Code: 2380-3173-1972
PSN ID: Eddc15
Steam ID: Eddc15

Post by Edd » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:02 pm

The Losers. I saw it in the cinema and really liked it but apparently no one else did.
Mr.EE ~ Edd is the best! Edd is super hot!
arceus469 ~ Edd is just a lonely little internet bully with no friends.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:07 pm

D.J wrote:
In Bruges

Dark, violent, but also very, very funny, Ralph Fiennes in particular is on top form here as a gangland boss who sent two of his employees to Bruges to lay low after messing up a hit.

That film is Masterful. Thoughly loved it (actually I think it may have been you, that introduced it to me). The characters, story and location are just brilliant. Only problem is, its made Bruges a tourist location....thus spoiling it forever (kidding).

If you liked this I would recommend Seven Psychopaths which was made by the same people and has a really clever story.

I would say The Machinist is pretty underated. It will affected me, and I think its by far Christian Bales best performance.

The only film that I can think of is District 9, but I guess that maybe a little too mainstream to be considered a forgotten / underappreciated gem?
"soylent green is people"

Yinga Garten
NNID: YingaGarten
3DS Friend Code: 3351-4527-3033
PSN ID: YingaGarten
Xbox Gamertag: Yinga Garten
Steam ID: yingagarten

Post by Yinga Garten » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:37 pm

Has far more magic, wit and intelligence than any Steven Spielberg film could ever muster. A must watch and a critically underrated modern gem.