Books and stuff - where old men come to read

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Re: Books and stuff - where old men come to read

Post by Rik » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Kriken wrote: Next I'm gonna get around to reading Beat of his Wings (Left Hand of God trilogy) I think.
I really need to get round to reading that too, still haven't reread the first two though so I'll need to pick them up first. Although having said that I already have a lot to get through since I keep seeing stuff in charity shops and picking them up then not reading them very quickly. My reading list as it stands:
Catch 22 (Joseph Heller)
The Taking; Icebound (Dean Koontz)
Shutter Island (Dennis Lehane)
The Little Stranger (Sarah Waters)
The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams; Skeleton Crew; The Dark Tower 5-7 (Stephen King) (also been meaning to get hold of Salem's Lot before I start reading Wolves of the Calla)
The Dark (James Herbert)
Blackout (Chris Ryan)
The Talisman (Stephen King and Peter Straub)
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:16 am

I currently making my way through the Warcraft novels. I already know the vast majority of the story lines in pretty good detail, but it's a lot of fun to get to reimagine them through someone else's eyes.
One thing that really irks me is that the writing style can be hugely inconsistent. That's obviously going to happen when you have a multitude of authors each writing novels here and there, but sometimes even within the same book the writing can take annoying shifts. I don't know how I would go about fixing it, I guess better editors?

@Rik: Catch 22 is quite possibly my favourite book ever, I'd recommend it.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

Rik

Post by Rik » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:08 am

I'm really enjoying it so far, about halfway through. Favourite chapters are Nately's Old Man and Milo the Mayor, the former because it just makes so much sense (plus two of the quotes are in a Rise Against song and I'd always wondered where they were from) and the latter because it just makes so little sense.

Also, for anyone who's interested, Derek Landy just announced Skulduggery book 10. Not sure how to feel about it, I thought TDOTL wrapped everything up nicely and was a good place to leave the story but I guess if he still has a story left to tell then I can't complain, does just mean more Skulduggery at the end of the day.

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:15 am

I don't think I could pick a favourite chapter, there are too many good parts to choose from.

Haven't read any Skulduggery since the 5th one. I should probably do something about that.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

fluffyKittan
NNID: How wanders the dog
3DS Friend Code: In search of
PSN ID: timely relief
Xbox Gamertag: Trapped:
Steam ID: the boy laments

Post by fluffyKittan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:16 am

Have you read arthas yet m8
TSF sQuad life ~ pour one out for Sangmin
"People who work at Nisa:'Look, I have a job'." [Decretum, B&M employee circa May 2016]

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:19 am

No I'm starting from the beginning so that one will be a while yet.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

fluffyKittan
NNID: How wanders the dog
3DS Friend Code: In search of
PSN ID: timely relief
Xbox Gamertag: Trapped:
Steam ID: the boy laments

Post by fluffyKittan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:27 am

it is good fam
TSF sQuad life ~ pour one out for Sangmin
"People who work at Nisa:'Look, I have a job'." [Decretum, B&M employee circa May 2016]

masa
NNID: nonoriri.k
3DS Friend Code: 1908-1215-2187
PSN ID: Cervanres
Xbox Gamertag: nonoriri k
Steam ID: masakisu

Post by masa » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:38 am

Canterbury tales was fun, i enjoyed it a lot although i have since read some criticism of the modern english translation i read, but gooseberry fool if im reading it in middle english

Gonna try and alternate between fiction and nonfiction books, to that end reading Economics: A User's Guide by ha joon chang, which is quite informative aside from the forced-feeling cultural references

Rik

Post by Rik » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:01 am

Finished Catch 22 last night. Definitely one of the best books I've ever read, funny and thought provoking and depressing in all the best ways. Didn't realise till I read the afterword that there's a sequel called Closing Time so I'm going to get that read at some point. Think I need some lighter reading before then so I might work my way through some of the Stephen Kings I've got lying around, probably start off with Blaze since I've not read any of the Bachman books yet.

OmegaPit

Post by OmegaPit » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:08 am

After a few months of not reading I finally got around finishing The Dresden Files: Blood Rites, which promptly reminded me why I enjoyed the series so much and made me read Dead Beat and Proven Guilty in a week. The next two in the series are arriving today so I'm looking forward to reading them as well. It feels good to once again have that passion to read.

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:26 pm

Finished reading Emperor of Thorns maybe a week ago and now I'm currently reading Beating of his Wings, another trilogy-ender I mentioned earlier. Also another story set in a medieval-type setting with similar themes and a sort of similar main character, but more light-hearted and a bit easier to read, so the transition is a bit weird. It's not even a light-hearted story still but in comparison it's a little goofy. Hadn't read the series in a while either, but I'm getting familiar with it again and remembering stuff. It's enjoyable enough, and more of a page-turner not just in the sense of it being a lighter read. Will be considering what to read next soon.

Rik

Post by Rik » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:54 pm

Had a whip round some charity shops yesterday to find some reading to take back to uni, didn't find much apart from Let The Right One In which sounds good and a copy of A Game Of Thrones for £1.50 which was a nice bargain. Other than that I'm getting through Bazaar of Bad Dreams, never read King's short stories before but I've enjoyed them so far. The Dune in particular had a great little bait-and-switch at the end.

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:21 am

Let The Right One In is probably good. I've seen the (original Swedish) film and it was very good.

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Finished Beating of his Wings a few days ago. Not great to be honest, but it's good to finally end the story. Currently reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. Have read and enjoyed quite a few of his books now. Wanting to read all of them eventually.

^ It was good. I liked how the two stories tied up in the end. Ending was a pleasant surprise but also a little sad. Better than A Wild Sheep Chase, which wasn't bad either.

Recently I read River of Ink by Paul M.M. Cooper which I enjoyed a lot. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed a book as much. The last book I read was The Bricks That Built The Houses by Kate Tempest. It's far from perfect but I liked it. You can tell she's not really a novelist. There are some experimental passages that are hit or miss. It was interesting.

Was trying to read Catch 22 quite a while ago but couldn't get into it. I currently have nothing on at the moment so I guess I'll try again. I have it on a kindle app but I might see if there's a paper copy at the library. I prefer books way more.

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:53 pm

Mostly Reading all the various canon Star Wars books as I'm mildly obsessed at the moment, but between those I did stop to read 'The Catcher in the Rye'. First read it a year ago when my teacher suggested it for my Literature Coursework, and it was equally good the second time around. Holden is an excellent and (and as someone who is also not sure what to do with their life) relatable character, and provides an interesting perspective on the events that transpire.
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

Rik

Post by Rik » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:51 pm

Catch 22 is definitely worth sticking with, I found it a bit hard to get into as well but now it's probably my favourite book. Brilliantly funny and equally poignant at points, certain bits just hit really hard since behind all the satire it is ultimately a book about how horrible and bizarre war is.

Haven't read anything cover to cover in a long while but I started 'Salem's Lot a couple of weeks ago and steadily making my way through it, enjoying it so far.

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 pm

Catch 22 is easily my favourite book, an absolute masterpiece.
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

OmegaPit

Post by OmegaPit » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:46 am

I started The Long Mars sometime last September and only just got around finishing it yesterday, I'm going to start The Long Utopia today.

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:37 pm

Just finished reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Pretty good. Did get a little worried near the end that it wouldn't have a good conclusion, but it ended up being good enough.

Found out just now that there's a new television series of it too, and that it's good. Had no idea. Gonna have to check that out.

Also recently finished reading The Lost Time Accidents, which I was pretty disappointed by - because there are so many good parts to it and interesting characters, but in the end it just doesn't come together very well. It feels unfinished.