Animation/Cartoons Samurai Jack ends

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
beansontoast

Re: animation/cartoons (GRAVITY FALLS FINALE)

Post by beansontoast » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:31 pm

i think what does it for me are those cardboard cutout characters that lazily glance towards the point of interest (the stand that gets gooseberry fool obliterated right besides them)

or lazily cutting to static images EVERY TIME someone delivers a blow (except for when buttercup defeats the log robot by flying through it, I guess?)

or the lazy ass tween when the lumberjack gets tossed into the distance

komodo joe

Post by komodo joe » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:39 pm

I'm digging the eton mess outta that perspective at :06
pound shop bill sorenson. | LOOK CLOSER LENNY

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:26 pm

ignoring that, there's that completely weightless jump he does

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:56 pm

That PPG trailer is upsetting

IronHide
Steam ID: IronHide1981

Post by IronHide » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:12 pm

GuitarHero wrote:JonTron's cover of Firework features a lot of animators' work plus the majesticness of JonTron's voice

Thought it was worthy of posting in this thread, just for the fantastic animation alone.
I didn't think it possible to make that song any worse, I was wrong.

Animation wasn't bad though.

In keeping with the animated music videos theme:

beansontoast

Re: animation/cartoons: PPG GoAnimate edition

Post by beansontoast » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:12 pm

1st trailer of MOOM animated short film by Tonko House (The Dam Keeper). Based on japanese children book by Genki Kawamura.

Looks really sweet

edit: Forgot about this one, looked at sets and models being made before i even watched the trailer:

Film about a guy trying to find meaning in his mundane life. Was kinda interesting to see animation used for this kind of genre. The craft of stop motion is always admireable so I'll make sure to give it a watch at some point

Blaxel411
NNID: Black-wolf209
3DS Friend Code: 4811-7239-6713
Xbox Gamertag: Not on my life

Post by Blaxel411 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:38 am

PPG isn't that bad. Except Buttercup's voice.
I think we can all agree that i`m a great asset to the human race.

bort

Post by bort » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:07 am

beansontoast wrote:

Film about a guy trying to find meaning in his mundane life. Was kinda interesting to see animation used for this kind of genre. The craft of stop motion is always admireable so I'll make sure to give it a watch at some point
i saw this last year, it was the mystery film at the London Film Festival

its a really interesting watch because the world is kinda twisted, at first the animation is kinda jarring but once you get into it, it kind of makes sense why they chose the kind of style they did with the character rigs

also its one of those movies you cant really sell with a trailer in that the material in the movie seems really hard to market, if you ever get round to seeing it you'll see the trailer isnt quite anything like the movie itself

komodo joe

Post by komodo joe » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:24 pm

even if you're not a Kaufman fan I'd recommend Anomalisa because of how brilliantly well made everything is. there's a lot of detail put into David Thewlis' Puppet Penis and that deserves recognition.

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:31 pm

im assuming theres a lot of psychological stuff in there which works in the animations favor along with the apparent warm/artificial lighting throughout

a puppet penis though this gotta see

komodo joe

Post by komodo joe » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:26 pm

I'll spoiler in case you want to go in totally fresh but the stop motion is super well done technically and it definitely plays to the movies strengths (if you don't know, everyone bar two characters are played by the exact same people, and this is reflected by every "extra" in the film having the exact same model with swapped hair and clothing). It also messes around with the main character a lot too - there's a scene where he removes one of his expressions from his face and replaces it with another one, and things like that.

It's something that works and is enjoyable primarily as a movie but also has the kind of attention to detail in every scene just makes it all the better if you're a fan of animation/stop motion. Definitely my favorite out of the best animated picks for this year (though I haven't seen Shaun the Sheep but who has). It also manages to include a puppet sex scene that manages to toe the line between weird-funny and pretty sweet which is an achievement in itself.

PiGreat
NNID: PiGreat
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5928-1641
PSN ID: PiGreat
Steam ID: PiGreat

Post by PiGreat » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:00 pm

so i finished watching gravity falls and it was very good

also everything in the scene where this played was incredible
RichardUK wrote:I don't believe anyone is actually poor in this country
THE ADVENTURES OF A GUY ON HIS QUEST TO BECOME A WEEABOO | BONUS COMMENTARY | RANDOM eton mess[/centre]

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:34 pm

Tokyo Cosmo

japan paving the way for cgi qts as well it seems (we'll let non anime work slide here right)
komodo joe wrote:I'll spoiler in case you want to go in totally fresh but the stop motion is super well done technically and it definitely plays to the movies strengths (if you don't know, everyone bar two characters are played by the exact same people, and this is reflected by every "extra" in the film having the exact same model with swapped hair and clothing)
its embarrassing but it took literally half the film for me to gooseberry fool realize, was a pretty creepy revelation. It only really hits you when Emily's real face is shown at the end. Was that cause all the people he didn't care about sort of fade into obscurity in his own mind or what?

it was an intriguing watch, it was a lot different from what i was expecting from the trailer like bort said, especially in the pacing. Had a few honest laughs with scenes like in the sex toy shop and the kart in the managers office; i think the animation gives the otherwise real and awkward scenarios a sort of humorous twist about them (and the parts where it becomes apparent they really are models, was almost expecting a huge breaking of the fourth wall to occur).

beansontoast

Re: Animation/Cartoons

Post by beansontoast » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:08 am

Updating with a few things

Rediscovered a pretty obscure show I'd only seen a few episodes from my childhood, forgotten toys is genuinely charming in terms of its visuals/writing

New Warner bros film about a storks baby delivery service, why not

This one was a surprise. I mean, I can't say it looks all that funny from the trailer but anything pushing the boundaries isn't a bad thing

Troggy
NNID: Ultramegatrogdor
3DS Friend Code: 0989-1858-5244

Post by Troggy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:22 pm

Can't say that Sausage Party looks good at all. It seems to go with the comedy approach of 'haha sweary words' more than anything.

When I heard it was an animated film for adults, I expected the humour to be more than just the initial concept and then a lot of swearing, but what we have so far just looks bad.
SONM Robot Wars
"are you actually braindead or do you just really enjoy batman's penis in your mouth" - Decretum

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:15 am

yeah, the trailer definitely lays it on thick with the cursing to make it apparent as possible its not for kids. There's still not much middle ground for the industry in the west when it comes to target audiences, so there's a lot of crude humor and shock value just to set itself apart from the crown

on that note apparently the scripts been leaked and theres a food orgy. yeah

Troggy

Post by Troggy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:29 am

So it's basically the South Park film with none of the wit and satire that made the South Park film so enjoyable.

I mean, I'm all for more adult animated productions to be made, but Sausage Party just feels off to me. The trailer wasn't funny and it sounds like it's just trying to stir up (he he) controversy with it's writing. I mean, it would be a good short film, but not a full feature movie.
SONM Robot Wars
"are you actually braindead or do you just really enjoy batman's penis in your mouth" - Decretum

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Looks like another soulless cash grab on a fad that's two decades old

dreamworks arigatou

chain chomp8

Post by chain chomp8 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Yeah, that looks terrible. Anyone remember the last time they brought the trolls back, and made them teenage girls? Why do they keep bringing the trolls back? They were never that good.

Troggy

Post by Troggy » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:13 pm

Figured I'd talk about this here:

The animation software Toonz, which has been used for productions such as Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle and Futurama will become free to use

I think this is a huge step for animation. Now, anybody can start making and editing their own work without the need to purchase software like ToonBoom or Adobe Flash. I'd certainly give it a go when it releases.
SONM Robot Wars

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:48 pm

Its pretty amazing news considering the insane price of commonly used animation software (that charges on an annual contract rather than a single payment upfront)

I was always comfortable with 10 year old versions of flash but now I can finally play around with something with a lot more tools

bort

Post by bort » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:52 am

but guys, Flash has been branded under the new name Adobe Animate and its just as bugged as it ever was, also its never been more expensive! how can you lose??

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:05 pm

Troggy

Post by Troggy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:57 pm

Won't somebody please think of the children?!

SONM Robot Wars

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:19 pm

Kind of stunned there are people out there who didn't know that Watership Down isn't all about fluffy bunnies having fun, even after almost 40 years. Also kind of indicative of some parents being overprotective and mollycoddling, can't have their kids seeing that eton mess's not all rainbows and unicorns instead of brutal rabbit fatalities.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.