Dirk Gently

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Dirk Gently

Post by Warmij » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:56 am

Dirk Gently BBC America

There was another adaptation a few years back starring Stephen Mangan which was pretty great, but only lasted 4 episodes. Hopefully this one will work out.

It stars Samuel Barnett and Elijah Wood as Dirk Gently and his assistant Todd (dunno why Richard MacDuff was renamed, but oh well).

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Re: Dirk Gently

Post by SupaWaluigi » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Oh cool. Loved the books and the short Stephen Mangan series. Not sure about an American adaptation of it since they don't have the best history with adapting British series'

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Kinda worried that it won't be Stephen Mangan, as he was a perfect fit for the role and I'm not sure I like Elijah Wood in replacement.

Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Post by Warmij » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Scapegoat wrote:Kinda worried that it won't be Stephen Mangan, as he was a perfect fit for the role and I'm not sure I like Elijah Wood in replacement.
Elijah Wood isn't playing Dirk, he's playing his assistant.
Dirk is being played by Samuel Barnett

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:36 pm

my bad, must have read that wrong.

either way I've never even heard of samuel barnett, I'll likely give the first couple episodes a watch but I'm really not sure anybody can top stephen mangan's performance honestly. He just fit the part so well.

regardless, american shows tend to run much longer than our measly 6 eppers here in britain, so hopefully barnett brings the charm of gently and the series is good.

I'm looking forward to trying it out an just hope it lives up to expectations. Always get a bit cautious when american's adapt british shows, after all we all remember the american inbetweeners as much as we'd like to forget it ever existed.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:10 pm

I remember this on BBC 4 it was great show, shame they axed it. It'll be interesting to see how this American version pans out.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

ZeroJones
NNID: Ballyzero

Post by ZeroJones » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:21 am

I loved the Stephen Mangan Dirk Gently series and was ready for more. Cautiously optimistic about this - at least it fulfils the 'more' part.

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:24 am

I do wonder if this new series will stick closer to the narratives of the books. Obviously they are bringing in a lot of new ideas and characters, but I wonder if they will incorporate them into the story of the first book, with the Electric Monk and such.

I mean, the Stephen Mangan series kind of touched upon some things from the books, but was mainly completely original

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter