Star War Rogue One

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
Cruizer

Star War Rogue One

Post by Cruizer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:11 pm

I've seen Rogue One twice - loved it so thought I'd start a thread. I've seen all the main Star Wars films a few times but I'm a casual, so don't have anything particualarly insightful or meaningful to say about Rogue One, but thought it would be nice to have a place to discuss the film without all those annoying spoller tags in the general film thread- so spoillers obvs.

RANDOM OBSERVATIONS
- I actually think this is the best individual stand-alone Star Wars film (not a criticism of the other Star Wars films because they aren't meant to be viewed as stand-alone films, but the fact there won't be a sequel to this (excluding Episode 4) meant the pacing was better and an overall more compelling story this one film certainly gives more meaning to the first 3 films than any of the other 3 prequals did). THis is really the first film that questioned the ethics of the Rebels as opposed to a straight good vs. evil story, the motivations of the characters was more interesting than the original characters (I'd maintain it was Harrison Ford that made Han Solo interesting - his initial motivations were just money and his situation with Jaba) and where the original stories told the story at an elitist level (Princess Leia) - I thought it was more interesting seeing how the Rebellion affected more ordinary people and seeing ordinary people sacrifice themselves for a small part of a larger cause (more on that in the second bullet point).

- What did you all think of all the main characters dying? For the sake of continuity with Episode 4 - they possibly had to kill them off - but I wasn't expecting it; so many films talk about "suicide missions" but then at least one character makes it out alive. Felt a bit out of tone for a Star Wars film - which though we see death and some violence are generally uplifting and inspiring and it was a bit upsetting (especially as George Michael [who my mum likes] died on Christmas day and at the time I first saw this film [boxing day] it was very likely Leia was going to pass-away IRL) - also the message of "sacrificing yourself for a greater cause" is questionable as overall perhaps the end does justify the means but the Empire still uses the Death Star to destroy an entire planet. It probably had to be this way - but was a shame as like I say I was invested in everyone of the main characters than I was in any of the characters from the previous films.

- THis was the bleakest (even more so than Empire Strikes Back) and most adult of the Star Wars films and bits felt like an actual war film - I'm not sure if I liked it, but none of the other Star Wars films had anything like the scene of the toddler crying for her parents in the middle of all the destruction - which really affected me. The main woman's father was the best back-story (but I can't remember his name) - he knows if he refused to build the Death Star he'll just be replaced and it will be built anyway - so pretends to be a broken man for 20 years so he can secretly position the Death Stars weak spot. Not sure if I could do that or even if it was the right thing to do?

- Death Vader was used sparringly and just about right. I disliked that "be careful not to choke on your aspirations" line (I don't think Vader usually makes lame bad-guy jokes - but I maybe wrong) but the scene where he slices through all those Rebel's was so cool seeing the most iconic bad-guys at the height of his power in action. Wasn't crazy about C3PO and R2D2's cameo though!

- What did you think of CGI Princess Leia - I thought it was amazing. The effects were incredible and totally convincing even though I obviously knew it had to be CGI - it was also surprising we got to see her face (I thought they was just going to show her hair and clothes from behind then just show the "disc" being handed to her below her face. Leia's message of hope made me choke a little knowing Carrie Fisher was likely to die shortly. Rest in Peace Princess Leia :- (

- Jar-Jar didn't show up in this - I don't know if Lucas has officially confirmed we won't see anymore of him, but I'm guessing we won't as there probably isn't that much of a demand for him as [supposedly] he's not really a very popular character. To be honest - Iiked him when I was a kid and I like him now and wouldn't kind seeing more of him. I'm not totally convinced people do actually dislike him, it's more just we live in an age where people feel the need to take the most extreme position possible and can't provide a moderate, reasonable opinion so "a good, endearing character with a few problems that could be ironed out in future films" becomes "I hate Jar-Jar and shouldn't be in anymore films"

Discuss.
"soylent green is people"

Spilskinanka
Steam ID: Spilskinanka

Re: Star War Rogue One

Post by Spilskinanka » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:10 pm

it's a 5/10
WeAreHarbinger: who cates aobut jnvidoe ngmajesj

row101
NNID: row101
3DS Friend Code: Hello world.
PSN ID: Why are you reading?
Xbox Gamertag: Why am I typing?
Steam ID: Why are we alive?

Post by row101 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:13 pm

Unpopular opinion: I didn't like it that much. Loved episodes 3 through 7 but Rogue One didn't do it for me. Vader's end scene was cool but that alone doesn't make a good movie.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - George Washington

Spilskinanka

Post by Spilskinanka » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:16 pm

thought you were gushin about it earlier

row101
NNID: row101
3DS Friend Code: Hello world.
PSN ID: Why are you reading?
Xbox Gamertag: Why am I typing?
Steam ID: Why are we alive?

Post by row101 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:49 pm

Yes but that comment was made soon after leaving the cinema when I had the end of the film in my head, the film as a whole was mediocre but not up to the standards of other SW films imo.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - George Washington

Edd
3DS Friend Code: 2380-3173-1972
PSN ID: Eddc15
Steam ID: Eddc15

Post by Edd » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:24 pm

CGI faces were bad and in no way convincing.
Mr.EE ~ Edd is the best! Edd is super hot!
arceus469 ~ Edd is just a lonely little internet bully with no friends.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:33 am

Why do you put so much effort into these trolls Cruizer, only to ruin the carefully constructed lie with JarJar.

(Spoilers ahead)

I liked Rogue One, but it wasn't perfect. They nail the look of the film and it's enjoyable just for the visuals, which is in large part due to nostalgia. I like the general feel of the film as a war film, which gives it a different identity to other Star Wars films, and I was happily surprised with the everyone dies ending. The final act of the film once they reach Scariff and the final battle begins is all great, and I love that there is a huge battle scene - it's the Hoth sequel I always wanted. Before reaching Scariff however the film is weaker. It jumps around too much and the pacing feels off/rushed, which I think is due to a lack of 'downtime' between the plot scenes. Showing the characters interacting mid flight on their ship would have both helped with the pacing and transitioning between the plot-moving scenes and would have helped build a much better sense of camaraderie between the team. As it was the characters felt underdeveloped and didn't seem to interact enough to warrant them fighting together as they did - Imwe and Baze especially just seem to tag along for no real reason after Jedha.

The references were hit and miss. Hearing all the coloured leaders standing by filled me with joy, as did the cut-off "bad feeling" line and the reference to Antilles, but other references felt unnecessary and pulled me out of the film too much, like the characters from Mos Eisely cantina.

The two worst things about the film though were the uncanny valley CGI faces (they really should have refrained from showing Leia up close at all, and Tarkin would have been more convincing if he had only spoke through his reflection in the window) and the "choke on aspirations" line from Vader coupled with the hand gesture. It was a try-hard attempt at comedy and it fell completely flat, instead just killing what should have been a menacing moment from Vader.

I also thought K2SO was entirely unnecessary and not very funny.

Spilskinanka

Post by Spilskinanka » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:26 pm

one f in scarif

bort

Post by bort » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:02 pm

my favourite thing about star wars is the space battles and rogue one had a pretty cool one of those

i laughed way too much when the rebels smashed into the star destroyer coming out of hyper space, that was a classic moment right there

DekuHero
NNID: Deathbringer2206
PSN ID: Deathbringer2206
Xbox Gamertag: Ghostface2206
Steam ID: Deathbringer2206

Post by DekuHero » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:56 pm

They rushed the crew relationship building stuff so much that I can't even remember any of their names except for Jynn Erso (assuming that's how you spell it)

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:39 pm

i was disappointed by the lack of goofy looking aliens in the main cast
what happened to kit fisto

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

ZeroJones
NNID: Ballyzero

Post by ZeroJones » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:44 am

I quite liked it, though this is tempered by the fact that I was so knackered when I watched it that I fell asleep at points. :oops: Also, I'm not a big Star Wars fan, so I'm happier to take each film on its own merits and not worry about how it fits with everything else, etc. As has been said, the R2P0 cameo was utterly pointless, and the CGI faces were wrong, particularly poor Princess Leia. I would say Tarkin fared better but was still bizarrely perfect compared to the craggy guy he was playing off most of the time (can't remember his name).

Kate Grey described it as a sausage fest on Twitter, and that's major-league true... but has almost always been true in Star Wars as a whole. :(

bort

Post by bort » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:00 am

Vtheyoshi wrote:i was disappointed by the lack of goofy looking aliens in the main cast
he was killed like virtually most of the jedi before this film started???

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:07 pm

bort wrote:
Vtheyoshi wrote:i was disappointed by the lack of goofy looking aliens in the main cast
he was killed like virtually most of the jedi before this film started???
no i refuse to believe that, he is far too important to the franchise to just be killed off so unceremoniously

FAN THEORY
kit fisto is darth vader

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Edd

Post by Edd » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Maybe you're on to something???

bort

Post by bort » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:21 pm

i also had to google it and saw that video, but i dont believe it can be true for reasons i cant talk about

Edd

Post by Edd » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:37 pm

Are you Kit Fisto?

bort

Post by bort » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:21 pm

i prefer to be called the ultimate fistor actually

masa
NNID: nonoriri.k
3DS Friend Code: 1908-1215-2187
PSN ID: Cervanres
Xbox Gamertag: nonoriri k
Steam ID: masakisu

Post by masa » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:38 am

Rogue on was fine but not as gooood az expected i do love donmie yen he is my bae

fluffyKittan
NNID: How wanders the dog
3DS Friend Code: In search of
PSN ID: timely relief
Xbox Gamertag: Trapped:
Steam ID: the boy laments

Post by fluffyKittan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:39 am

Rogue one did what it set out to, bridge a story gap with a side story about humans not affiliated with the empire living on the fringes and in the shadows in the dark dystopic gritty universe that is star wars outside of the lightsaber dancing fantasy films. If you went into this expecting a childhood style star wars space opera then you went to the wrong film. I mean it had aspects of that (humour, quips etc.) because it's star wars and they melded in great but I felt the main thing it mastered was capturing the non jedi aspect of star wars which is like at least 50% (albeit it mostly non canon now) of the extended universe.
TSF sQuad life ~ pour one out for Sangmin
"People who work at Nisa:'Look, I have a job'." [Decretum, B&M employee circa May 2016]

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Post by GuitarHero » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:20 pm

I enjoyed it, I hadn't seen any trailers or anything so wasn't sure what to expect going into it but I had a great time. Would put it in my top 3 Star Wars films

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:57 pm

As I say to people who ask my opinion on Rogue One, its good but not Force Awakens good. Honestly I've seen Force Awakens a lot of times and I love it every time I watch it. I do plan on going back to see Rogue One again before it finishes at the cinema.

Even with the mission to steal the plans from Scarif I was expecting at least one of the characters to make it out alive but it wasn't so, scene with Vader at the end was fantastic.