Most Disappointing Movies

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Most Disappointing Movies

Post by D.J » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:16 pm

You all know how it happens, a major movie release is coming, hype builds, you can't wait to see it, but then, when you finally do, you think to yourself 'that was a bit rubbish, what was all the fuss about?'

So yeah, post your most disappointing movies, those films that in one way or another, were a complete and total let down.

I'll get things started...

The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies.

I really enjoyed Desolation of Smaug, it had an interesting story, helped build on the world first presented in An Unexpected Journey, and i thought the final Hobbit film would be a spectacular conclusion just like Return of the King was. Unfortunately, there just didn't seem to be any substance to this film, the sauron thread was barely touched upon, the battle itself was dull, and some bits like Angmar were barely touched. Such a disappointment, and the extended edition added very little in terms of depth either.

Pacific Rim

I wanted to like this, i really, really did. The premise was brilliant; a great big monster mash with giant robots thrown in for good measure. So how could such a great idea be so damn boring? The characters were either downright weird, or lacked even the most basic personality, and the battle scenes themselves just left me cold.

Now it's your turn, most disappointing movies, go.
ImageImage

Nintendonator3000

Re: Most Disappointing Movies

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:29 pm

Batman V Superman

I was quite looking forward to it, even with the doubts the third trailer gave me, but man what a disappointment. Batman was cool but the story was over complicated, plotlines were forced, action wasn't that good, Superman is still boring, his death was stupid, Lex Luthor was dumb, Doomsday was dumb, and damn Martha. I'd lost hope for Suicide Squad already after watching this.

Not that I was ever particularly hyped for it, but X-Men Apocalypse was a big disappointment too. Enough so I made a video about why I don't like it if anyone's interested right here : https://youtu.be/dH7eXbvBIww
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:00 pm

I liked Pacific rim but I did grow up on a lot of giant mecha and Godzila type stuff

the hobbit should have just been done in 2 movies max , the thirds just overkill

I found Batman Superman just average didnt love or hate it , just fell right in the middle for me

The last film to dissapoint me in anyway was Jackie Chans Chinese Zodiac its basically the third part of the Armour of God trilogy but tottally doesnt feel connected to the others at all, I bet some of its down to translation and such and its not a bad film, there are some very cool bits and stunts but I grew up on Operation Condor and Armour of God and was just expecting it to be just as good as those ....

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:59 am

Jurassic World

I think I found it disappointing because I loved Jurassic Park so much that it could never live up to it, Jurassic World just didn't do it for me

The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse

Loved the TV series, thought the film was rubbish
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

Chocolate-Milk
NNID: mcdain123
3DS Friend Code: 2148-9345-8376
PSN ID: mcdain123
Steam ID: mcdain123

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:16 am

I couldn't disagree more on Pacific Rim. I'll admit I don't care much for the human interactions, but the kaiju fights on the massive screen coupled with the blaring sound system made for the best cinema experience I've ever had. The problem is it's not worth watching again, because it loses all of its punch on a small screen.
das a peepo

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:27 am

Speaking of kaiju reminds me that Godzilla (2014) was quite disappointing. For there to only be 20 minutes of screen time of Godzilla when added up together doesn't really do the title justice. And, yeh, following the human element of the story was quite good, but then it basically culminated in following a soldier grunt rather than the more interesting scientist characters

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

Mephisto
3DS Friend Code: 1177-7344-0983
Steam ID: mr_bananas

Post by Mephisto » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:50 am

I know this is going to be a really controversial one, but I'm going to have to opt for Apichatpong Weerasethakul's Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives.

danbish
NNID: TheFatPlumber
3DS Friend Code: 0920-1615-5762
Xbox Gamertag: Emerald Eagle
Steam ID: TheFatPlumber

Post by danbish » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Suicide Squad. What an utter pile of tosh. Harley Quinn was hands down the best part of that film but even she couldn't save it from being awful.

What I can't quite understand though it that the ending for it was re-shot after bad preview feedback at a cost of something like $20 million which improved on the original ending. If this is what we got, just how much did the original ending tank?

I'm also thinking of another film I went to see years and years ago with a friend which I very nearly walked out on, I think it was called Jumper but I'd have to Google it to be sure. That and the last Mummy film with Brendan Frasier which had nothing to do with mummies. To be fair, pretty much everything with Brendan Fraiser in it is cack as well as Mr Wooden actors Tom Crusie and Keanu Reeves.

D.J

Post by D.J » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:05 pm

danbish wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:44 pm
To be fair, pretty much everything with Brendan Fraiser in it is cack as well as Mr Wooden actors Tom Crusie and Keanu Reeves.
I thought John Wick was actually pretty decent.
ImageImage

danbish

Post by danbish » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:47 am

D.J wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:05 pm
danbish wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:44 pm
To be fair, pretty much everything with Brendan Fraiser in it is cack as well as Mr Wooden actors Tom Crusie and Keanu Reeves.
I thought John Wick was actually pretty decent.
I'll be honest, I haven't watched John Wick because Keanu Reeves is in it. I don't like those three actors because I think they can't act any better than a wooden post so I don't watch their films.

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:15 pm

I don't often bother seeing a film unless I'm pretty sure I'll like it so not many spring to mind. Not really any total disappointments, but anyway...

The first Hobbit film. Okay, my expectations weren't too high, but I really wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt. I was pretty against them splitting it into three films from the beginning but thought that maybe it would work out okay, but it was just so boring and padded out.

I only ended up watching the rest of the films because I was very bored and some friends were going to see the last film at the cinema. So I had to watch the second film too so I was clued in, which I did on the day I went to see it. I actually enjoyed them a lot more because they at least provided spectacle. Still not great though.

x-Men Apocalypse. I really wanted to like this film, despite the mixed feedback I knew it was getting, so I had to see it. I loved every other X Men directed by Bryan Singer, and at the time I even liked First Class a lot too (still good, but it pales in comparison to Days of Future Past). But it really was a generic and dumb action film. Magneto's character development was handled poorly and the script was so stale. I was mouthing a lot of the lines before they were even said because it was such predictable scriptese. I can only say it probably wasn't as bad as X Men 3, and the premise was cool, but a good film it does not necessarily make.

Really though I felt the disappointment before I had seen it, because deep down I knew it was going to be kinda bad.

Star Wars the Return of the Jedi. I loved the original Star Wars films as a kid, including this one. In fact, this might have been my favourite. Watching the trilogy back a year or so ago, I found that I appreciated A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back even more. It's just amazing how well they hold up. They're just stunning works of film.

But Return of the Jedi just felt totally off. It's hard to pin down why exactly and it's more to do with just a lot of little things. It was weird and goofy. The performances were underwhelming, Luke becoming an unrelatable robot and Han Solo...was just not himself. You could tell Harrison Ford did not really want to be there. It was just bad - I was shocked.

Other films that spring to mind but can't be bothered writing much about since they weren't extremely disappointing:

Toy Story 3 - though the furnace scene and ending were perfect. This was maybe the case of obscene expectations set by Toy Story 2, which was my favourite Pixar film for a long time.
Avengers - a lot of the films in this cinematic universe have been hit and miss for me. I did really like Civil War, so I might go back and watch this one.
Guardians of the Galaxy - I feel like I was in the complete minority with this one. It was okay. A lot of people seemed to find the humour refreshing, but my response was mostly just at: "I get it."
Spiderman 3 - at the time I knew the film was bad but I was a massive spiderman fanboy and my hype over seeing spidey face off against venom (and sandman and new goblin) eclipsed everything. Later I would realise the film handled multiple villains horribly. I would have a similar experience with Amazing Spiderman, but that film was a little better. (And then there was Amazing Spiderman 2 which was beautifully terrible right from the first scene).

Yubel
NNID: Alex-Haldane
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2474-9108
PSN ID: Alex-Haldane

Post by Yubel » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:53 pm

I echo the disappointment felt regarding Suicide Squad. It started off pretty strong with snappy character introductions along with the novelty of seeing characters such as Deadshot and Harley Quinn on screen - her flashbacks actually made for some of my favourite scenes in this film.

From there however, I kinda found the action a bit dull and increasingly monotonous, not to mention generic. Also felt let down when I realised that the film's tone didn't reflect the trailers, it was clearly cut up rather hastily in post-production and, outside of the extended cut, some really good scenes were strangely absent.
- Nintendo Yubellion -

Super ONM. Superior Yubel.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:30 pm

I don't honestly get the disappointment with Suicide Squad. It looked bad from day one and near enough everything that was shown about it and said about it in the build up just kept consolidating it, why would you let yourself get disappointed by that?
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:09 am

Sticking with DC's recent films for the moment, I'm not necessarily disappointed in Man of Steel, unlike BvS and Suicide Squad, more sat on the fence with it.

There's a lot I like about Man of Steel. I think Henry Cavill fits the role perfectly, the music is phenomenal, and the whole film overall looks great. It's just that thematically and plot-wise I think it gets a little bit muddled reducing my enjoyment of it. Also, bloody military being involved as usual, always get annoyed when so many films use the military in an unimaginative way or are included when they really don't need to

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

danbish

Post by danbish » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:17 pm

I think Henry Cavill makes a really good Clark Kent/Superman. I just don't think the film is a good as it could have been. I was also disappointed with Batman vs Superman too.

D.J

Post by D.J » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:43 pm

While i ended up disliking Man of Steel to begin with, i found it to be a lot better on the second viewing.
ImageImage

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:08 pm

Spiderman 3 is probably the one that stands out the most to me. I didn't really read film reviews then so I just saw what I thought looked good and what was considered big, plus the first two Spiderman movies were great. I was left a bit disappointed in how the film pretty much put the story to the side in favour of the fight scenes and special effects.

I was also part of the people who went to see Avatar. Yeah, in hindsight I barely remember what happened in that film...

Kriken
FKA liberal

Post by Kriken » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:49 am

I really liked Avatar at the time, though the hype kind of carried it. I still think it's decent, just nothing really that amazing.

Spilskinanka
Steam ID: Spilskinanka

Post by Spilskinanka » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:07 pm

dunkirk
WeAreHarbinger: who cates aobut jnvidoe ngmajesj

danbish

Post by danbish » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:40 pm

Kriken wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:49 am
I really liked Avatar at the time, though the hype kind of carried it. I still think it's decent, just nothing really that amazing.
I always thought that about Avatar. Yes it's a good film but it doesn't deserve the legendary status it has. The hype train really went for it with this one.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:01 pm

Does it have that legendary status though? Sure, at the time it got a fair bit of hype because visually it was something else and in terms of budget and effort and the like it was and still is pretty unparalleled which got the public pretty excited for it. That said, beyond that, I don't feel it actually carries that "legendary" status with regards to any other aspect, not nowadays at least, I just think some people think it carries that status. Fanbase aside, it's always just been regarded as a good 8/10 film pretty universally.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

fluffyKittan
NNID: How wanders the dog
3DS Friend Code: In search of
PSN ID: timely relief
Xbox Gamertag: Trapped:
Steam ID: the boy laments

Post by fluffyKittan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:18 pm

Desolation of smaug was the worst of the three and if you can't see that then you need to start reading the book again then put it down 1 page in because you evidently will never understand the most important aspects of Bilbo's character development and how the second film shat on them, along with the characters of smaug and the mayor of laketown (the latter is down to casting).

and orlando bloom can gooseberry fool off with his ridiculous parkour marksmanship the belongs up the angel delight of one of those day loving navy seal orcs.
TSF sQuad life ~ pour one out for Sangmin
"People who work at Nisa:'Look, I have a job'." [Decretum, B&M employee circa May 2016]

D.J

Post by D.J » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:15 pm

I guess it probably would have helped had i actually read the book in the first place.
ImageImage

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:31 pm

Just finished rewatching The Hobbit trilogy. I understand the criticisms, but I still really enjoy all 3 films, even having read the book.
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

danbish

Post by danbish » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:38 pm

Johnny English Reborn is another one. I enjoyed the first one and did laugh out loud quite a few times. Because of that, I was looking forward to the sequel. Instead I turned it off about 40 minutes through (something which I rarely do and only have done about 4 times ever) because I just couldn't take it anymore.