jurassic world

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Re: jurassic world

Post by OrangeRakoon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:38 am

JenovaPX wrote:Was more exaggerating it because that's still not a significant amount of CGI. It's fleshing out an environment where it would be unrealistic to do anything else or too dangerous to do anything realer, especially compared to the Hobbit films, Jurassic World or the Star Wars prequels. Filling a background, making some cliffs or super imposing extras onto something is basic, rudimentary special effects whereas the others use them to create the world and whatever's filling it.
I wouldn't argue with the general point of this post, but I would argue against that being called "not a significant amount of CGI" and only "basic, rudimentary special effects" when they are substantial and widely used.

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:31 pm

Overall this film was ok, it suffers from dealing with the eton mess for the first two thirds but the exact moment it gets good is "ok, eton mess secured, let's fight this dinosaur now."

It was dumb after that bit, but the final fight scene was pretty great.
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

DekuHero
NNID: Deathbringer2206
PSN ID: Deathbringer2206
Xbox Gamertag: Ghostface2206
Steam ID: Deathbringer2206

Post by DekuHero » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:27 pm

Yinga Garten wrote:Its eton mess just like the original. That's only liked for nostalgia from childhood whilst not paying attention to quality.
They made a sequel to Space Jam??
don't look at me like that.

Anyway saw the film at hand yesterday and it was alright, better than 2 & 3 but not as good as the first one, it went too far out of its way to reference the first one I think, especially when they find the same cars and room from the original film. As well as this the characters were so badly written, especially the 2 boys, not even the film cared about their parents divorce by the end.
Also did anyone think that the Katie McGrath's character (the one who was meant to take care of the kids) had a way too brutal death? She got waterboarded by a bloody pterodactyl, after having been picked up by one, dropped, picked up by another one, then after that the giant monster ate them both, but that's the sort of death you give to villain characters though...
Also 12a? There was a bit too much blood for that, I would have given it a 12 rating but you can tell they obviously want the kiddies to see it so there you go.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:06 pm

12 doesn't exist so far as I know for theatrical releases anymore because it was a non-sense to have a 12a and a 12.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:15 pm

Ok so the film was great
but that last scene when they open the paddock, she lights a flare and everything that happened next i am not joking one of my favourite movie moments ever i dont even care i was literally in a state of complete euphoria.

i gooseberry fool love dinosaurs guys

Kesskuron
NNID: Kesskuron
3DS Friend Code: 167643044135
PSN ID: Kesskuras
Steam ID: Kesskuron

Post by Kesskuron » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:03 pm

Just saw it
Good lord that was dumb as hell
Like I realized it was gonna be stupid before but my god
I still had fun watching it because dinosaurs
But I was annoyed at the same time

Also gooseberry fool your CGI, everything in that cracked article was right

Garf
NNID: Garfsona
PSN ID: GarfGuy
Steam ID: garfield069

Post by Garf » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:54 pm

why would you keep the camouflage genes? Just use a specific cleavage enzyme to target the genes they needed to put in the dino, keep out all the unwanted stuff and everything would be fine

Still, really enjoyed it. RIP the PA who got killed harder than anyone else in the series

Dix
PSN ID: zXEpic-ToxicXz

Post by Dix » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:07 am

Made a little thing about why I think this film is so worth watching on Letterboxd. You can disagree with me, tell me the dinosaurs aren't realistic I don't give a gooseberry fool. The film is the best one that's been made in the franchise outside the original by a metric gooseberry fool tonne.
This. This is how you reboot a popular franchise and give it a new life. The way that Jurassic World took the premise of the original film as a technical achievement and evolved it into something so much more was remarkable and I'll tell you why.

When Jurassic Park was released, it instantly became known as a film centered around the spectacle. Computer generated Dinosaurs in a modern environment. It was a major breakthough for how it revolutionised the way in which we use computer generated imagery to portray realism in film, and for just generally making everything seem more feasible.

The sequels to Jurassic Park were incredibly average when you're comparing them to the original, and it's clear why. There was nothing new about the films anymore. We lost that kind of feeling that we got when Ian Malcom and Ellie Sattler first saw those dinosaurs on the plains, and that sense of anticipation and fear we had in waiting to see a T-Rex.

This is not so different to how we as an audience have come to appreciate CGI. We're always looking for more, be it 3D, 4D, Virtual Reality etc we'll never be happy unless things constantly keep evolving. So how do you bring back a film series like Jurassic Park? You evolve it. Not only do you evolve the premise of the film but you put the original film as the focal point, leaving the narrative as a commentary on the way in which we as an audience have adapted.

Think about it. If Jurassic World had just been a remake of the original, then what would the point in us going to see it even be? We've been and we've seen that happen loads of times so why do we care? Much like if there was a dinosaur park that had been open for 20 years. You go to it so many times, and the gimmick begins to wear thin. The thing is though, at one point do you stop? At what point do things all reach a climax and collapse in on themselves? This is why you should put down whatever you're holding, stand up, and rethink why the gooseberry fool you aren't currently at the cinema watching this movie.

Don't think of this as a review, think of this as a reason as why if you enjoyed Jurassic Park, this is the ultimate calling to the original and everything that it stood for in the history of Cinema, and you should get your angel delight out of the house and watch this film.
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:11 am

Garf wrote:Still, really enjoyed it. RIP the PA who got killed harder than anyone else in the series
that death was gooseberry fool brutal i swear i thought she was going to survive against all odds just from how long it was taking the mosasaur to put her out of her misery

Sabrofra
NNID: GameBoySam
3DS Friend Code: 2406-5595-5668
Steam ID: Sabrofra

Post by Sabrofra » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:14 am

Garf wrote: Still, really enjoyed it. RIP the PA who got killed harder than anyone else in the series
I laughed a lot when she died. Absolutely hated the character so I felt it was appropriate to laugh.

I film was alright. I guess.

Cazwegian
NNID: Cazwegian2
3DS Friend Code: 3754-6334-3639
Steam ID: Cazwegian

Post by Cazwegian » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:25 pm

I second that 'alright' rating.

My favourite part was towards the end when Lowery got curved so hard by Vivian.

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:13 pm

hhnng

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist
PSN ID: Riainjmp
Steam ID: B-Bomb

Post by ABoxerWhoIsPacifist » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:12 am

Was half expecting Rocket Raccoon to save them at the end.

It was great, but I suggest you leave your brain at home and just focus on the dinosawrz

andymck

Post by andymck » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Saw it yesterday, very average but not like I was expecting anything more than that. Still fun either way.
Although the ending annoyed me a bit as it just reminds me of this

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Really didn't expect JW to be reaching Avatar and Titanic box office levels: almost $1 billion worldwide in 13 days! I'm a little sad that this just means we will see more Jurassic sequels because of this success. Jurassic World works as a new stand-alone sequel to a beloved franchise, but I don't want to see more sequels.

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

Meowmix
NNID: Parablegreg
Xbox Gamertag: Parablegreg

Post by Meowmix » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:38 pm

really quite a eton mess film.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:23 pm

Saw it on Saturday, definitely enjoyed it. It's a proper popcorn movie though and is heavily flawed in plot and characterisation (don't get me going on how incompetent all of the people are to a completely unbelievable level), and the film is lacking in any real message. But who cares, it is full of dinosaurs killing people and being dinos.

Also that end fight was unexpected and wonderful