Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
Majin_Nephets
NNID: Majin_Nephets
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8667-3978

Re: Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Post by Majin_Nephets » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:26 pm

I like the look of her so far. Admittedly I'm pretty easily pleased but still, she seems alright.
PM me if you decide to add me on 3DS or Wii U

komodo joe

Post by komodo joe » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:35 pm

oh look it's a character who says kooky things and acts witty and sassy while being chased by even more Daleks, who are supposed to be the most threatening deathbots in the universe

I love it, so fresh,
pound shop bill sorenson. | LOOK CLOSER LENNY

Crisps
NNID: Crisps

Post by Crisps » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:48 pm

terrible anti-banter, doctor who is an incompetent programme that hits the wrong tone almost every time tbh

also she needs to sort her eyebrows out
you're a virgin who can't drive.

ZeroJones
NNID: Ballyzero

Post by ZeroJones » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:35 am

Could have been worse. The character looked like a terrible companion for The Doctor in that clip, so it'll be interesting to see what persuades him to take her on.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:21 pm

Meh, to early to say, it isn't fair to judge as this two minute clip is too short to make an opinion.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:54 am

Not keen on her from that clip but hey she could still turn out to be good. After Clara kept being pushed as the most importantest person evar!!!1!1!1! it'll be a nice change if she's a bit more ordinary which is what it looks like they might be going for so that's a plus anyway.
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

Majin_Nephets

Post by Majin_Nephets » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:31 pm

That's what I'm hoping for too. I did grow to like Clara once she'd been separated from Eleven but they did lay on her specialness on a bit too thick, and that was after previous companions absorbed the time vortex and dissolved the whole Dalek race, became part-Time Lord and helped save the universe, and wished the Doctor back into existence following a reboot of the universe and being the mother to the love of the Doctor's life, so that's saying something. I'm hoping she'll be more like Martha, a normal person being thrown into extraordinary circumstances and manages to make a difference without having some kind of great destiny of universal importance. I mean the most important thing Martha did was covertly travel the whole world to set up the Doctor's plan. Still impressive but much more believable.

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:19 am

So, apparently Peter Capaldi wasn't Moffatt's first choice for the latest Doctor. Turns out he wanted a black actor for the sake of having a black actor "because diversity" opposed to wanting a black actor for the fact said unnamed black actor was actually any good at acting. Certainly doesn't give any promise for Pearl Mackie's time as assistant.

Thank God he's leaving after the next series. Diversity is great, but putting that before anything else is a terrible way to run a show. Sadly he'll probably open about 50 story arcs and leave none of them resolved before he gooseberry fool off.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

Casplen
NNID: Casplen
PSN ID: Casplenn
Steam ID: Casplen

Post by Casplen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:31 am

Yeah because if they hired a black actor they'd just choose literally anyone and definitely not someone who could actually do the part some justice. You can hire for diversity and talent, god damn. What's with this eton mess that minority actors are only getting roles to fill diversity quotas, yet all the white actors are getting them based on their own merit.

OmegaPit

Post by OmegaPit » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:06 am

It's not as if Capaldi is a bad actor anyway.

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:17 am

Casplen wrote:Yeah because if they hired a black actor they'd just choose literally anyone and definitely not someone who could actually do the part some justice. You can hire for diversity and talent, god damn. What's with this eton mess that minority actors are only getting roles to fill diversity quotas, yet all the white actors are getting them based on their own merit.
I'm not saying they'd choose a bad black actor. I'm saying that Moffatt basically admitted he approached the black actor with being diverse as his main thing opposed to thinking "Hey, this black guy would be really great in the role of the Doctor". Which is the dumb bit. I'm guessing we don't have a black Doctor now because they decided the guy they approached wasn't actually what they wanted or wasn't good enough.

And yeah, Capaldi has been brilliant. Just look at Heaven Sent.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

Majin_Nephets

Post by Majin_Nephets » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:04 pm

See, that's my exact problem with there potentially being a female Doctor. It would just seem like they're just doing it so they can go "look how open-minded and progressive we are!" or for publicity, rather than because the actress is the best fit for the role.

PGTV

Post by PGTV » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:15 pm

Aren142 wrote:So, apparently Peter Capaldi wasn't Moffatt's first choice for the latest Doctor. Turns out he wanted a black actor for the sake of having a black actor "because diversity" opposed to wanting a black actor for the fact said unnamed black actor was actually any good at acting. Certainly doesn't give any promise for Pearl Mackie's time as assistant.

Thank God he's leaving after the next series. Diversity is great, but putting that before anything else is a terrible way to run a show. Sadly he'll probably open about 50 story arcs and leave none of them resolved before he gooseberry fool off.
I thought that was about 11th Doctor? When they held lots of auditions etc?

OmegaPit

Post by OmegaPit » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:41 pm

Not sure what to think really, it looks like it's going to be a bit more mature than a DW episode but then again I also have my doubts.

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:17 pm

On the plus side, Class was... well, actually pretty Class.

I had no real idea what to expect from this. But it was enjoyable, characters are likeable and yes it's basically Torchwood/Sarah Jane Adventures set in a school with yet another crack/rift in spacetime, spewing a monster of the week + an overarching monster of the series. But when somethings serviceable, watchable & enjoyable and I want to continue watching the next episode, then I can get behind it.

But goddamn it, because if they can make this sort of decent show in the meanwhile of Doctor Who's abscence then why can't someone please bring Torchwood back! D=

Minoru
NNID: PunishingLawyer
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8638-1569

Post by Minoru » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:24 am

Anyone watch the Christmas special? I didn't think it was very good this year. The bits with the kid were okay but the actually superhero stuff I found kind of boring. I expected it to be more like a Doctor Who take on the idea of superheroes, but it just came across like a naff knock off and didn't really fit well in Doctor Who. Maybe that was just me though.

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:43 am

I thought it was alright, but that's how I've felt about Doctor Who for a long time now.

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

Edd
3DS Friend Code: 2380-3173-1972
PSN ID: Eddc15
Steam ID: Eddc15

Post by Edd » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:31 am

+ Wasn't Victorian London
Mr.EE ~ Edd is the best! Edd is super hot!
arceus469 ~ Edd is just a lonely little internet bully with no friends.

imbusydoctorwho

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:56 pm

Meh it was alright, still not that keen of Matt Lucas though.
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:52 pm

I thought it was alright, the stuff concerning the doctor and river was good, the villains were also cool and could be interesting as set up for later in the series.
That being said, it felt more like someone's take on American superhero films rather than doctor who; it felt like the the doctor wasn't even meant to be or needed to be there. The romance between the girl and hero felt forced at times, especially the gooseberry fool balcony scenes.
And holy eton mess that child at the beginning couldn't act at all
As a final point, I was indifferent to Nardole or whatever, he seems goofy as gooseberry fool but I'll have to see more of him to pass judgement

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:24 pm

Great Special. Well, a lot better than the trailers made out anyway. I did love all the little references and homages to the superhero genre too and the whole Grant/Lucy/Ghost setup which despite obvious was fun to watch unfold.

The main threat were unfortunatly a bit naff (although it was quite interesting to see them turn up again after last years christmas special) and i'm a bit disappointed that they've been set a stage to return later down the line (hopefully not again).

Can't say one way or the other about Nardole at the moment... he just sorta feels like part of the TARDIS furniture at the moment - which isn't a bad thing by any means but he just sort of felt like Moffat threw up an alternate representation of 'Handles' from TOTD - who actually is a character i'd have rather seen fleshed out across a series.

Anyway, lets forget about the special and focus on 'Class' for a moment, because if you missed out on this amazing series the first time... then where were you? If you're finding yourself tired of Doctor Who, then this is worth your time - 8 episodes of well structured and finely-tuned stories with credible teenage characters. It's probably better than Doctor Who at the moment, and actually - it is, the adult mashup vibe really pieces this Torchwood come DW come Buffy crossover suitably well.

It's bad enough that the BBC decided it to be delivered to our screens via the online only BBC 3 service, and typically it pulled in rather disastrous viewings for the show which deserves much more than a repeat graveyard night run on BBC 1 this January to get a much needed Series 2 commission.

ZeroJones
NNID: Ballyzero

Post by ZeroJones » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:47 am

An undemanding episode which I quite liked. The Doctor was Doctor-y and the Ghost was suitably cheesy. It was good fun without stretching any boundaries.

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Post by shy guy 64 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:30 am

im gonna miss capaldi
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

imbusydoctorwho

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:24 pm

So Capaldi is leaving dr who at Christmas then, cue loads of guessing who'll be Who.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38808070

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Post by GuitarHero » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:29 pm

A shame as I'd say he's been the best Doctor of the reboot. However, does mean Chibnall can choose his own Doctor and go properly in his own direction hopefully