Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
TheHarrisonKaye
NNID: TheHarrisonKaye

Re: Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Post by TheHarrisonKaye » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:59 am

I love the new series. I think Clara and Capaldi make a Faaaaabulous pair. Can't wait to see what they get up to! :D
Swiftie for life. Don't judge. You can find me on that tumblr thing:
http://heartbreakinwonderland.tumblr.com

TheImprobableOne

Post by TheImprobableOne » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:39 am

Overall, I've felt this series to be rather poor due to the reasons already outlined. I like Capaldi's Doctor, save for the over the top hatred for soldiers, but the writing has just felt so poor, with two dimensional characters and convenient/inexplicable plot developments. There have been some good moments, "Mummy on the Orient Express" and parts of "Flatline" included, but there's been minimal character development on anyone's part and it's just felt so formulaic.

I feel like part of this is due to how large the series is now, and how big a money maker it is for the BBC. You can tell at times that they're trying something new, such as with Capaldi's character, the plot arc and some of the themes of the episodes, but it feels like they're being so restrained by their desire to not lose a single audience member that they're alienating the people used to the old series, where each episode was different from the last and instantly memorable. You can't say that about the new series, where pretty much every episode can be summarised as "The TARDIS arrives in a location where the Doctor and Clara are immediately faced with a mystery, which they much face with a group of uncharismatic cardboard cut outs."

charlie
NNID: charliemeon
3DS Friend Code: 4296 3111 4033
Steam ID: charliemeon

Post by charlie » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:43 am

TheImprobableOne wrote:there's been minimal character development on anyone's part and it's just felt so formulaic.
there's been more character development than in the previous 3 series combined

clara is an actual human being now (dont like her but thats ok)

RaphaelTheTimeLord
NNID: Raph_Ninja

Post by RaphaelTheTimeLord » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:17 am

Maybe the main reason I love Series 8 is because of the massive leap of quality from the abysmal Series 7B. Who knows, I may look back on this series and not like it that much.

CAPALDI is amazing. Straight up brilliant. You can tell he is in his dream role. There's a marked difference in Clara, it feels like she's regenerated along with The Doctor this series. She's an *actual* character rather than a plot device, I've loved her characterisation and development. On the whole Series 8 has been better written and better paced and is very consistent unlike the previously fragmented Series 7.

Deep Breath, Listen, Mummy on The Orient Express and Flatline have been my favourites. All clever, fun and edgy episodes.
"Videogames are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock N Roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Twitter - @Raphael_Kiyani

lemmi

Post by lemmi » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:23 am

Series 8 has been the most consistent series in terms of quality of new who. I just wish I had the excitement to enjoy it. I'm losing interest rapidly which is a shame; I doubt I'll drop the show but I just don't care as much as I used to.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:37 am

Seems to me that it is definitely improving, the last two episodes were good, and I particularly enjoyed Mummy on the Orient Express. It's definitely still varying quality with some very poor moments, but new DW has always been like that.

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:49 am

I'm gonna say it:
The episode where those weird spider-aliens and the moon turning out to be an egg
Was the worst episode so far!

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

Noodle Link
3DS Friend Code: 4596-9498-2568
Steam ID: PlacidBurrito

Post by Noodle Link » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Not too excited for tonight's episode, I must say. This has been my favourite series since 2010, though.
You're living in a fantasy world // Last.FM // Music Collection // Tweetaboo // ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

lol95
NNID: lol995
3DS Friend Code: 5472-7551-7397

Post by lol95 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:54 pm

Personally I think the writing with regards to the Doctor and Clara's relationship is brilliant this series. Not having any attraction in the relationship is a trend that needs to continue imo, it's what made Series 4 with Donna so stellar too. I find the friendship between the two this series to be some of the most compelling acting in Doctor Who ever, you can see they care for each other but in a way where you don't have to cringe (ala Rose/Martha).

Capaldi is everything I thought he'd be and more! Dark, quirky and even more alien than Matt Smith in some regards. Well on the way to becoming my favourite Doctor.

Addressing the minor fandom backlash of "It's lost its identity" I'd say Doctor Who has never had a set identity, it's been everywhere from light-hearted to as dark as pre watershed drama can get in its 50 year life span.

Ratings so far:
Deep Breath - 9/10
Into The Dalek - 9/10
Robot of Sherwood - 6/10
Listen - 9/10
Time Heist - 7/10
The Caretaker - 8/10
Kill the Moon - 7/10
Mummy on the Orient Express - 8/10 (Frank Skinner was brilliant!)
Flatline - 9/10

I've seen worse runs than this one since the reboot, Series Two, Six and Seven were a lot more inconsistent than the current one.

BishBashBosh

Post by BishBashBosh » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:00 pm

I for one am looking forward to tonight mainly for the fact that its written by Frank Cottrell Boyce and that Danny is actually going on a trip in the TARDIS (along with a class of kids but fingers crossed).
New forum, duller signature

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:07 pm

Yeah, I was wholly cynical about the number of child actors in the next time trailer as they haven't exactly had a great track record on Doctor Who. It is nice to see Danny finally get properly involved in an adventure, though.

Since others are doing it...

Deep Breath: 8/10 (At its best this one was an easy 9/10. The confrontation between Twelve and the robot is just incredible. Just took a while to get started as a whole, certainly didn't need to be as long as it was.)
Into the Dalek: 8/10 (Despite the heavy influence from a certain past Dalek story and the dumbfounding execution of the moral at the end of the episode)
Robot of Sherwood: 6/10
Listen: 8/10
Time Heist: 7/10
The Caretaker: 8/10 (Loved this one. Certainly didn't expect to.)
Kill the Moon: 7/10 (I'm sorry, I just can't get over the blatant pro-life message of this episode.)
Mummy on the Orient Express: 8/10 (Easily my favourite episode this series.)
Flatline: 8/10
Last edited by Noodle Link on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're living in a fantasy world // Last.FM // Music Collection // Tweetaboo // ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Genericenemy

Post by Genericenemy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:11 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNlEIe7pnL0

Just want to post this with regards to the Twelfth Doctor

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:33 pm

Genericenemy wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNlEIe7pnL0

Just want to post this with regards to the Twelfth Doctor

BishBashBosh

Post by BishBashBosh » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:33 pm

Also just want to say still hating the hit you over the head with a 'story arc' this series
New forum, duller signature

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:38 pm

Edit: That was arguably the weakest episode of the series, honestly. A 5/10 at best. The finale looks... interesting.
BishBashBosh wrote:Also just want to say still hating the hit you over the head with a 'story arc' this series
This doesn't make grammatical sense thus I can't understand it but if you still think the words 'bad wolf' cropping up all over the place constitute a story arc then there is no point in you trying to argue anything, ya big doofy.

"A story arc is an extended or continuing storyline in episodic storytelling media such as television, comic books, comic strips, boardgames, video games, and films with each episode following a narrative arc. On a television program, for example, the story would unfold over many episodes."

The words drive the narrative. They themselves are not the narrative. Likewise with the cracks in time, 'the question', Missy's appearances, etc.

The arcs and themes this series are primarily woven through the relationships between the characters, and the triangle of Clara, Danny and the Doctor. It works well and has allowed the series' overall narrative to flow way better than it did last year. I'm liking it in this regard. It's simple, allowing for plenty of standalone adventures, while having the greater narrative flow through each story. This is what a highly episodic show like Doctor Who should always be like.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:25 pm

I have enjoyed a lot of the episodes in the series ... not enjoying the Missy stuff but will wait to see how it plays out... Bad Wolf and the Saxon stuff just seemed more there if you wanted to see it .... Missy is pushed in our faces in my opinion.

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:27 pm

kerr9000 wrote:I have enjoyed a lot of the episodes in the series ... not enjoying the Missy stuff but will wait to see how it plays out... Bad Wolf and the Saxon stuff just seemed more there if you wanted to see it .... Missy is pushed in our faces in my opinion.
You can chalk this up to Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat not being the same person.

lol95

Post by lol95 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Bad Wolf and Torchwood were hardly subtle and the return of Rose in series 4 was forced on us as much as Missy is currently. Mr Saxon was the only story arc hint of RTD's reign that felt subtle in use for me.

lol95

Post by lol95 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Edit: Posted twice for some reason, swear I didn't click submit twice. :roll:
To make amends I'll type out my thoughts on this week's episode.

I liked the ideas surrounding this episode just not sure I understood all of it (Clara being a voice in Maeve's head and the person turning up at their house at the end *being vague to avoid spoilers*). The scene where Clara gets the Doctor to leave started strong and then seemed to fizzle out, Danny's inclusion didn't feel shoehorned to my relief and the girl who played Maeve was very good (not sure about her classmates though "I'm getting stressed and it makes me angry"). The solution to the crisis was a bit meh but oh well, again intriguing concept, and I did think the wild animals from the trailer were going to be a bigger threat than they were.

The trailer for next week just left me confused, why put so much time into establishing where Clara came from if she's something else entirely? Also we've had no indications to her being anything else but Clara Oswald. The impression it gave me was similar to the android professor created by the Daleks in Victory of the Daleks being that it wasn't that great a plot twist...
Last edited by lol95 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

row101
NNID: row101
3DS Friend Code: Hello world.
PSN ID: Why are you reading?
Xbox Gamertag: Why am I typing?
Steam ID: Why are we alive?

Post by row101 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:42 pm

Today's episode wasn't so good. I enjoyed some parts, but others not so much.

6/10

Looking forward to next week though.
Thank you.

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Noodle Link wrote: Deep Breath: 8/10 (At its best this one was an easy 9/10. The confrontation between Twelve and the robot is just incredible. Just took a while to get started as a whole, certainly didn't need to be as long as it was.)
Into the Dalek: 8/10 (Despite the heavy influence from a certain past Dalek story and the dumbfounding execution of the moral at the end of the episode)
Robot of Sherwood: 6/10
Listen: 8/10
Time Heist: 7/10
The Caretaker: 8/10 (Loved this one. Certainly didn't expect to.)
Kill the Moon: 7/10 (I'm sorry, I just can't get over the blatant pro-life message of this episode.)
Mummy on the Orient Express: 8/10 (Easily my favourite episode this series.)
Flatline: 8/10
In the Forest of the Night: 5/10

Casplen
NNID: Casplen
PSN ID: Casplenn
Steam ID: Casplen

Post by Casplen » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:47 pm

That was the weakest episode in quite some time. The idea of a forest sprouting overnight is an interesting basic idea, but everything they did with it was simply quite dull. The script was noticeably terrible, I would even call it amateur- child actors were horrible, but I don't feel this would have been as much of an issue if the script wasn't as bad as it was.

There's still plenty more that it did wrong, but I'm not going to waste any more time on it. Mummy and Flatline made me feel series 8 was at least beginning to show a lot more promise, but this has certainly lowered my expectations. Next week's looks interesting- hopefuly Jenna Coleman's acting isn't as bad as it looks in the trailer.

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:52 pm

Casplen wrote:hopefully Jenna Coleman's acting isn't as bad as it looks in the trailer.
"KLARAH OZZWOLD NEVER EXISTED"

TheImprobableOne

Post by TheImprobableOne » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:54 pm

Forgettable, and with the same quality child actors as always. At least the basic concept was interesting, and I'm reminded of just how much I like Capaldi's Doctor.

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:12 pm

People are complaining about the child actors a lot this week. I thought for the most part they were tolerable. They were no Maitland kids, that's for sure.