Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
Pyron
NNID: Shirogane_789
Steam ID: merdon06

Re: Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Post by Pyron » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:53 pm

Aside from the Caretaker and possibly Robots of Sherwood, I have liked each episode of season 8. I haven't watched the recent episode due to unfortunate circumstances. Especially Listen and Flatline. In fact, I think that season 8 is close to becoming underrated.

Noodle Link
3DS Friend Code: 4596-9498-2568
Steam ID: PlacidBurrito

Post by Noodle Link » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:54 pm

Pyron wrote:Aside from the Caretaker and possibly Robots of Sherwood, I have liked each episode of season 8. I haven't watched the recent episode due to unfortunate circumstances. Especially Listen and Flatline. In fact, I think that season 8 is close to becoming underrated.
The most recent one was the weakest of the series. I agree that it's highly underrated as a whole, though.
You're living in a fantasy world // Last.FM // Music Collection // Tweetaboo // ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Genericenemy

Post by Genericenemy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:15 pm

lol95 wrote:I would say Doctor Who fans are some of the most negative around...
I find it depends on who you talk to, and I'm not just talking about the fans who post stuff on the internet here.

SanTheSly
NNID: SanTheSly
3DS Friend Code: 0430-8264-1513
PSN ID: SanTheSly
Steam ID: SanTheSly

Post by SanTheSly » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:22 pm

Regginator3 wrote:
SanTheSly wrote:Documentary footage of Moffat hard at work writing his fabulously coherent and high quality DW scripts:

To be fair, the only scripts he wrote this season were Deep Breath (which was alright but flawed), Into the Dalek (which was good but again flawed), Listen (which was great), Time Heist (which was good) and The Caretaker (which was mixed but not terrible).

That said this series really has been a case of "ehhhh". I keep watching because Capaldi's consistently on good form as an actor but...
The Caretaker was the episode that made me stop watching the live broadcasts. Thought it was genuinely dire storytelling.
Remember Reach / THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE / Turn Down For What?

snowyallcroft

Post by snowyallcroft » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:23 pm

Yesterday was a dip in quality but the majority of the season has been great. Really excited for the finale.

KingoftheSocks
PSN ID: KingoftheSocks
Steam ID: chronofighter

Post by KingoftheSocks » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:45 pm

I've been trying to catch up after I kept on forgetting to watch DW, so far I'm just finishing Kill the Moon, overall its been enjoyable and Capaldi's been great, but there have been some noticeably bad moments. But altogether a decent series and will try and watch the finale when it airs
Credit to liberal for this snazzy sig

OmegaPit

Post by OmegaPit » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:50 pm

I didn't even get the point of yesterday's episode.

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:35 pm

OmegaPit wrote:I didn't even get the point of yesterday's episode.
Uh... if a solar flare threatens to kill us all, the trees will save us?
You're living in a fantasy world // Last.FM // Music Collection // Tweetaboo // ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

ChaosControl
NNID: jammydodger1985
3DS Friend Code: 270729914659
PSN ID: jammydodger1985
Steam ID: jammydodger1985

Post by ChaosControl » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:54 pm

I just feel that in general the episodes haven't been as clever. There's no astounding "aha!" moment where the doctor comes through with some brilliant logic (apart from maybe Mummy on the Orient Express).

I normally don't have a problem with child actors. While I found Bradley annoying, I wanted to punch Ruby. Her voice really grated. Why did they give her the most lines?? When she kept saying "This ring is red and FAT? Why is this one red and FAT?" over and over I practically screamed at the TV "Your FACE is red and FAT!!"

Then my boyfriend looked ashamed of me and said "Woah, say what you REALLY feel...she's just a kid."
But then by the end of the episode he was pretty much growling every time she opened her mouth.

Also, what the point of having the whole "missing sister" thing? I felt like it was trying to nod to Eccleston's "Just this once, everybody lives" thing. But it felt pointless.
It was also irritating that pretty much every child had something wrong with them and had to be on some sort of medication. Or claimed to be.

I was hoping to see more of Danny this series. That episode where he did the jump and front flip was so cool, I was thinking "Yes, this is going to be awesome!" but nothing since then. Unless you count using a torch.

And why bother having Danny find out about the Doctor only to have Clara start lying about him again almost immediately only for it to not have any consequences when she is caught out?

I actually hope that Missy does turn out to be The Master, that would at least be somewhat interesting.
I really think the only reason I'm still watching is because Capaldi is so well suited to the role and is just awesome.
I am functioning within the established parameters.

Pyron

Post by Pyron » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:19 pm

I think that the most recent one was the worst of the series. There are some redeeming qualities, but there are more bad things than good things about that episode. :?

PGTV

Post by PGTV » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:56 pm

I have enjoyed every single episode this series, much against what seems to be the popular opinion here...

Deep Breath - 9 (Brilliant Introduction to Capaldi, nice nods to the past and that phone call)

Into the Dalek - 9 (Best Dalek episode since Dalek, bit more fleshing out of the rough edges of 12 and finally some extermination)

Robot of Sherwood - 8 (Lighthearted, good humour between Robin and the Doctor, missing a big defining moment for me)

Listen - 10 (Exceptional episode, brilliant pacing, interesting focus on the Doctor's fears and the ending... beautiful ending one of my favourites of NuWho)

Time Heist - 8 (Nice Heist Story, was pretty interesting, another episode just missing something for me)

The Caretaker - 9 (Clara/Danny properly explored in more detail and the many 1st Doctor References made my day)

Kill the Moon - 9 (Sci-Fi in action, yes the ending may not make "scientific sense" but in a show where a blue police telephone box that is bigger on the inside than the out that travels through time and space I'm willing to accept the creature laying an egg)

Mummy on the Orient Express - 10 (Amazing Episode, not as brilliant as Listen but was great in it's own way... The use of the timer was good and the genuine confusion from the Doctor up till the very last second, literally too, had me on the edge of my seat.

Flatline - 9 (well above my expectations, liked the tiny TARDIS gag and absolutely loved the speech at the end)

In the Forest of the Night - 8 (Nice little fun romp with some serious undertones about mental health and decent child actors, some linkage between Time Heist and Forest so curious if the continual solar flares mean something)

charlie
NNID: charliemeon
3DS Friend Code: 4296 3111 4033
Steam ID: charliemeon

Post by charlie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:19 am

just watched newest ep

this is gooseberry fool eton mess

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:05 am

An 8/10 has always consistuted greatness, in my opinion. Robot of Sherwood and In the Forest of the Night were not great. I don't recall anyone complaining about the egg thing in Kill the Moon. It was the blatant anti-abortion message that annoyed everyone.
Last edited by Noodle Link on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pyron

Post by Pyron » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:05 am

PGTV wrote:I have enjoyed every single episode this series, much against what seems to be the popular opinion here...

Deep Breath - 9 (Brilliant Introduction to Capaldi, nice nods to the past and that phone call)

Into the Dalek - 9 (Best Dalek episode since Dalek, bit more fleshing out of the rough edges of 12 and finally some extermination)

Robot of Sherwood - 8 (Lighthearted, good humour between Robin and the Doctor, missing a big defining moment for me)

Listen - 10 (Exceptional episode, brilliant pacing, interesting focus on the Doctor's fears and the ending... beautiful ending one of my favourites of NuWho)

Time Heist - 8 (Nice Heist Story, was pretty interesting, another episode just missing something for me)

The Caretaker - 9 (Clara/Danny properly explored in more detail and the many 1st Doctor References made my day)

Kill the Moon - 9 (Sci-Fi in action, yes the ending may not make "scientific sense" but in a show where a blue police telephone box that is bigger on the inside than the out that travels through time and space I'm willing to accept the creature laying an egg)

Mummy on the Orient Express - 10 (Amazing Episode, not as brilliant as Listen but was great in it's own way... The use of the timer was good and the genuine confusion from the Doctor up till the very last second, literally too, had me on the edge of my seat.

Flatline - 9 (well above my expectations, liked the tiny TARDIS gag and absolutely loved the speech at the end)

In the Forest of the Night - 8 (Nice little fun romp with some serious undertones about mental health and decent child actors, some linkage between Time Heist and Forest so curious if the continual solar flares mean something)
Most I agree with, however I would change a few scores.
Deep Breath - 8 - The pacing was the biggest issue about the episode to me. They were trying to cram too much in just over an hour.

The Caretaker - 7.5 - The "monster" was something from the SJA, and therefore felt a bit out of place (i.e. too childish) for Doctor Who.

In the Forest of the Night - 7.5 - The acting is the episodes saving grace, with the only child actor being the one who predicted what happened that I actually liked.

Kill the Moon - 8 - I agree with what you said, but this deserves more of an 8 than a 9.
About the TARDIS being bigger on the inside blah blah blah - This.

PGTV

Post by PGTV » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:02 am

Noodle Link wrote:An 8/10 has always consistuted greatness, in my opinion. Robot of Sherwood and In the Forest of the Night were not great. I don't recall anyone complaining about the egg thing in Kill the Moon. It was the blatant anti-abortion message that annoyed everyone.
For what they were, I personally think they were... The anti-abortion message didn't phase me, but I think it's good that the show can cause thought-provoking serious topics to be discussed.

Robot of Sherwood individually, I really liked and I think it's a general disagreement on whether we like it or not.

On the egg, some other websites I've seen were complaining about that, which to me... was just ¬.¬

Pyron wrote:
PGTV wrote:I have enjoyed every single episode this series, much against what seems to be the popular opinion here...

Most I agree with, however I would change a few scores.
Deep Breath - 8 - The pacing was the biggest issue about the episode to me. They were trying to cram too much in just over an hour.

The Caretaker - 7.5 - The "monster" was something from the SJA, and therefore felt a bit out of place (i.e. too childish) for Doctor Who.

In the Forest of the Night - 7.5 - The acting is the episodes saving grace, with the only child actor being the one who predicted what happened that I actually liked.

Kill the Moon - 8 - I agree with what you said, but this deserves more of an 8 than a 9.
About the TARDIS being bigger on the inside blah blah blah - This.
Bleh ;)

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:14 pm

I think it's good for Doctor Who to tackle serious topics like abortion, but not like this. "ABORTION IS BAD SO WE'RE PLAYING DARK MUSIC WHEN WE FLOAT THE IDEA OF KILLING IT"

In other news, there's a new trailer out for the first part of the finale, Dark Water. In my opinion, it's infinitely better than the next time trailer we got the other day. http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/dark-water ... -68186.htm

charlie

Post by charlie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:22 pm

here are my in depth reviews of the episodes of this series

Deep Breath - 7 ok bit rushed tbh but good intro for capaldi

Into the Dalek - 7.5 good

Robot of Sherwood - 5 i hate "historical" episodes so

Listen - 9 favourite episode of the past few series, spoiled by the weird ending with gallifrey

Time Heist - 8 hustle meets doctor who

The Caretaker - 7.5 light on plot, big on character development good job

Kill the Moon - 4 boring, doesnt even make sense, stupid ideas all around gooseberry fool tripe

Mummy on the Orient Express - 8.5 really good episode fun stuff i enjoyed

Flatline - 8.5 i loved the concept of the creatures and it was implemented really well nice

In the Forest of the Night - 4 kind of boring, nothing really happened in the episode, rushed, "haha look voices in head what a great idea" no stop this
Last edited by charlie on Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:26 pm

I'm with Charlie for the most part, at least ratings-wise.

charlie

Post by charlie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:29 pm

im not good at writing wordy things youll have to forgive me

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:36 pm

I don't think you could've been any more in-depth about Forest.

Finnian

Post by Finnian » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:11 pm

I mostly agree with you there Charlie.

All in all, I've really enjoyed the series so far. It's got a few bum episodes here and there but that's Doctor Who for you.
HELLO // popcorn man

Casplen
NNID: Casplen
PSN ID: Casplenn
Steam ID: Casplen

Post by Casplen » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:26 pm

Noodle Link wrote:In other news, there's a new trailer out for the first part of the finale, Dark Water. In my opinion, it's infinitely better than the next time trailer we got the other day. http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/dark-water ... -68186.htm
Absolutely agree- this one has actually got me excited for the finale. I reckon it'll probably have something to do with the cybermen converting the dead, but who knows

As for individual ratings, woo lets go:

Deep Breath- 7/10
Into The Dalek- 5/10
Robot of Sherwood- 6/10
Listen- 6/10
Time Heist- 7/10
The Caretaker- 5/10
Kill the Moon- 5/10
Mummy on the Orient Express- 9/10
Flatline- 6/10
In The Forest of the Night- 3/10

Pyron

Post by Pyron » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Next time...
The Invasion - Round 2!

Finnian

Post by Finnian » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:38 pm

Here are my individual ratings for the series:

Deep Breath - 7/10
Into the Dalek - 8/10
Robot of Sherwood - 4/10
Listen - 9/10
Time Heist - 8/10
The Caretaker - 7/10
Kill the Moon - 4.5/10
Mummy on the Orient Express - 9/10
Flatline - 7.5/10
In the Forest of the Night - 5/10
HELLO // popcorn man

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Deep Breath: 8/10
Into the Dalek: 8/10
Robot of Sherwood: 5/10
Listen: 9/10
Time Heist: 7/10
The Caretaker: 8/10
Kill the Moon: 6/10
Mummy on the Orient Express: 8.5/10
Flatline: 8/10
In the Forest of the Night: 4/10