Game of Thrones

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
Nintendonator3000

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:45 pm

So. Much. Yes.
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:24 pm

Just a little bit! Looks fantastic, suppose I best start watching series 1 again soon (yes I have far too much spare time on my hands that could be spent so much more productivity but it is Game Of Thrones afterall!).

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:11 pm

I've been watching it through with a friend - 5 more episodes left of season 6 to watch on Tuesday and then the wait...
Ever since joining the original ONM I've been a huge Nintendo fan (specifically Zelda) and am looking forward to some great discussions. I was previously known as Lego Master

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Just started series 1 and I'm onto episode 2. Think I may have left it a little too late to get all 6 seasons in (as I'm away for a week as well) but I'll give it a good go, second trailer they've released looks fantastic as well.

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:52 pm

I shall be avoiding everything to do with season 7 until the boxset comes out, everytime a new series is screened the net is filled with spoilers, it's such a pain!
ImageImage

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:25 pm

I have no idea how you avoid all of the spoilers until the box set comes out, I often find it a struggle to last the day when an episode has aired, even more so now all of my colleagues watch it at 2am when it's broadcast alongside the US audience, don't blame them mind as if I didn't start work at 7 every Monday I'd certainly stay up till 2 each week! :lol:

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:50 pm

I'm not sure quite how i manage it either, but i must be doing something right as the season 6 finale explosion incident took me completely by surprise.
ImageImage

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:56 pm

Well I'll have season 1 finished today, got the day off (and no plans) tomorrow so I'll be making a good start to season 2 as well.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Well I got my marathon of Game Of Thrones finished off just in time for the 2 am showing of episode 1 of season 7, Dragonstone. Was a pretty good start to the season I suppose :D

Nintendonator3000

Post by Nintendonator3000 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:16 pm

I really enjoyed it - a great setup for the season showing us what all the different characters are heading towards - nothing major happened but there were a lot of great character moments.

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:01 am

Good start, managed to do a lot of setup without meandering too much. Also a lot keener on Euron now, the actor just didn't seem to fit the role last season but that scene with Cersei was much, much more what I expect from him, hope he keeps it up for the rest of the season.
The Ed Sheeran cameo was jarring as gooseberry fool though, who gave that the okay
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:15 am

The scene wouldn't have been different had Ed Sheeran been awkwardly sat there or not, well besides the rendition of that song which did sound pretty good. When I first saw it I briefly wondered if his head had just been edited onto the body, it didn't seem quite right.

OmegaPit

Post by OmegaPit » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:40 am

Robbo-92 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:15 am
The scene wouldn't have been different had Ed Sheeran been awkwardly sat there or not, well besides the rendition of that song which did sound pretty good. When I first saw it I briefly wondered if his head had just been edited onto the body, it didn't seem quite right.
That's just Ed's Sheeran's face.

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode. It started off strongly and although it slowed down afterwards it did enough to set up future episodes whilst keeping me entertained at the same time.

Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Post by Rik » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:09 am

Robbo-92 wrote:
It would have been different, it took the focus off "hey look Arya's murder-first-ask-questions-later worldview is getting challenged by some nice Lannister lads" and put it on "hey look Ed Sheeran is in Game of Thrones, is he getting any more lines?"
Previous celebrity cameos have worked because they've either been less instantly recognisable or more in the background, eg members of Mastodon popping up as White Walkers or the Coldplay drummer drumming at the Red Wedding. This was way too in-your-face.
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

Jezo
NNID: Super_Jezo
3DS Friend Code: 4811-6932-4056
Xbox Gamertag: J3Z0
Steam ID: Jezo

Post by Jezo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:05 am

Rik wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:09 am
Robbo-92 wrote:
It would have been different, it took the focus off "hey look Arya's murder-first-ask-questions-later worldview is getting challenged by some nice Lannister lads" and put it on "hey look Ed Sheeran is in Game of Thrones, is he getting any more lines?"
Previous celebrity cameos have worked because they've either been less instantly recognisable or more in the background, eg members of Mastodon popping up as White Walkers or the Coldplay drummer drumming at the Red Wedding. This was way too in-your-face.
Probably because whenever there was a shot of Arya, Ed Sheeran was in it too. Not only that, but he was in front of her, but the focus was still on her, so we just had half the screen being Ed's blurry, dumbass face.
Avvy goes up to #110 Weezing

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:39 am

But the message of the scene still got through clearly enough (the Lannister soldiers being humanised from Arya's POV), even with Edd Sheeran sat there. Maybe it's because I'm far from his biggest fan (a few of his tracks are ok but that's about it) that I didn't focus in him too much, even with him sharing the screen with Arya. I'm just hoping he isn't actually a returning character and the cameo was a one off.

Jezo

Post by Jezo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:42 am

Episode 2 was good. Idk why Arya didn't get torn to shreds but those wolves tho.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:47 am

Jezo wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:42 am
Episode 2 was good. Idk why Arya didn't get torn to shreds but those wolves tho.
Nymeria is the leader of the pack, even though Nymeria probably hates Arya for forcing them to abandon oneanother in season 1 she obviously didn't want to kill her so called the hunt off at that point, although I'm surprised the horse didn't get it, I imagine now winter is here food is getting slightly harder to find so thought the horse would have been a happy meal for the wolves. Hopefully we'll see more of Nymeria and it wasn't just a one off to appease fans.

Amazing episode though, was great watching the Sand Snakes get butchered like the Dorne storyline has been over the past couple of seasons.

OmegaPit

Post by OmegaPit » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:31 am

Robbo-92 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:47 am
Jezo wrote:
Hopefully we'll see more of Nymeria and it wasn't just a one off to appease fans.
They probably spent all their CGI budget on the dragons sadly. Another decent episode, looks like Arya will arrive at Winterfell just after Jon leaves and shortly after I'm expecting Bran to turn up suddenly as well. Theon is well and truly broken, I was expecting a little bit more of a fightback against Euron but I guess we won't ever see that Theon ever again.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:30 am

OmegaPit wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:31 am
Robbo-92 wrote:
Jezo wrote:
Hopefully we'll see more of Nymeria and it wasn't just a one off to appease fans.
They probably spent all their CGI budget on the dragons sadly. Another decent episode, looks like Arya will arrive at Winterfell just after Jon leaves and shortly after I'm expecting Bran to turn up suddenly as well. Theon is well and truly broken, I was expecting a little bit more of a fightback against Euron but I guess we won't ever see that Theon ever again.
Yeah they probably spend a huge % of their cgi budget on the dragons, apparantly there was a scene from episode 2 featuring Ghost that was cut. Definitely expecting Bran and Arya to rock up at Winterfell soon, re Theon it is a shame we didn't see him fight Euron, I do fully expect Euron would have won though but Theon wouldn't have been killed as he'd have made part of the gift for Cersei that Euron is fetching.

Episode 3 thoughts,
I wonder how much Sansa is going to listen to Littlefinger in his quest for Sansa to become the true ruler in the North. Will Jon take after the pervious King in the North and bend the knee? How will Davos and Lady Mel get on again after the recent conflict about Shireen. Will we get to see Samwell ripping the grey scale off Jorah in the quest for a cure? Surely they're just going to send him off anyway, they think he's beyond a cure so unless Samwell goes with him will he actually be cured or will they let Samwell have him as a kind of project?

Jezo

Post by Jezo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:42 am

Robbo-92 wrote:
Jezo wrote:
Nymeria is the leader of the pack, even though Nymeria probably hates Arya for forcing them to abandon oneanother in season 1 she obviously didn't want to kill her so called the hunt off at that point
But she said it 'wasn't her'. If it wasn't Nymeria then why is she not dead?

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Jezo wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:42 am
Robbo-92 wrote:
Jezo wrote:
Nymeria is the leader of the pack, even though Nymeria probably hates Arya for forcing them to abandon oneanother in season 1 she obviously didn't want to kill her so called the hunt off at that point
But she said it 'wasn't her'. If it wasn't Nymeria then why is she not dead?
I expect Arya meant it wasn't her in the sense that she has changed, she was cast out by Arya so so she wasn't killed at the queens orders, so while she recognised Arya and subsequently didn't rip her throat out she probably doesn't want to go with her to potentially be abandoned again. Old Nymeria would have just gone with her, new Nymeria is the leader of a pack of wolves (and in the books a huge one), she probably doesn't want to leave her entire pack behind, at this point at least, who can say what will happen in the future.

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:01 pm

enjoying the show for what it is but it's got to the point where it feels like we're just going through the motions to let the plot progress rather than trying to tell a story thats says anything about the characters in it. BUT tbf we're only 2 eps in so we'll see. It's kind of funny how it turns out so many of the main characters all know eachother. Tyrion knows Jon who knows Samwell who meets Jorah who knows Danny who summoned Jon who brings Davos with him who hates Mel cos she killed that greyscale girl who sam meets so he knows he can cure Jorah. i guess this is the problem with having such a long running show.

also the one time the show surprised me was when theon didn't fight unlce ewan. just because i thought he'd spent so long being all traumatized and sad I thought it might have been time to move him on a bit and let him protect his sister (even if ultimately he lost) but for now at least it's same old PTSD theorn which is OK, I guess. maybe he'll turn out to be useful eventually. I also wonder what the present euron is giving to cerci - at first I thought it would be capturing the dorne people as revenge for killing whats-her-face lannister. I still think that... but how the heck did he know they were on greyjoy boats??? i guess not important but convenient to get things developing.

also I took the wolf scene as: the big doggo wasnt nymera, the reason arya didn't get taken to tummy town is becos she is a stark who are wolves for some reason so she's at home and everythings cool between them and wolves.

OmegaPit

Post by OmegaPit » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:28 am

weakboson wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:01 pm
also the one time the show surprised me was when theon didn't fight unlce ewan. just because i thought he'd spent so long being all traumatized and sad I thought it might have been time to move him on a bit and let him protect his sister (even if ultimately he lost) but for now at least it's same old PTSD theorn which is OK, I guess. maybe he'll turn out to be useful eventually. I also wonder what the present euron is giving to cerci - at first I thought it would be capturing the dorne people as revenge for killing whats-her-face lannister. I still think that... but how the heck did he know they were on greyjoy boats??? i guess not important but convenient to get things developing.

also I took the wolf scene as: the big doggo wasnt nymera, the reason arya didn't get taken to tummy town is becos she is a stark who are wolves for some reason so she's at home and everythings cool between them and wolves.
Well I'm glad they didn't suddenly make Theon a hero again because even with its dragons and stone zombies GoT tries its best to be realistic and no one gets over the things Theon went through in such a short amount of time. I think it proves just how broken a man Theon is.

And no, that wolf was Nymeria, read Robbo's post explaining the scene also the "that's not you" is a reference to season one where Arya says to her Dad "that's not me".

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:36 pm

yah I just get a bit bored when they keep characters in a rut for so long, and at this point realism is not the main thing, especially since we seem to not be viewing the story in anything clsoe to real time anymore. He seemed to be getting a lot of screen time just to repeat the story they've already told. But now that he's away from the others I guess there's a chance to do something actually new.

It was a similar problem with Ramsey, really, who started out quite interesting and schocking. But as the seasons wore on they just kept flogging away with the same things. Every scene just HAD to have him doing the same old deplorable torture attack bad nasty man things. Ramsey is bad we get it ! Now eventually they tied up his character in pretty spectacular fashion so hopefully they can pull it out of the bag for theon as well. But I'm a lot less interested in seeing him be all traumatised and suffering again. like, fair enough he would be, but we've seen all that before so it had better be going somewhere to justify him eating into so much screen time.