Karl Pilkington

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
Cruizer

Karl Pilkington

Post by Cruizer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:50 pm

You're an idiot...play a record.

Have any of you guys, listened to much of that Karl Pilkington guy (aka the funniest man in the world).

I just started listening to this guy again, I remember why I used to love him.

I loved the xfm shows and podcasts, the dynamic between him and Ricky and Steve was great. I loved his theories and how it got facts wrong and the way he Anthropomorphized animals etc. I also really liked his solo stuff, because it showed not only is the funniest man ever, but that it was also a really lovely person - my fave bits of idiot abroad was the more sentimental stuff, like when he said he would continue to love his girlfriend if she was a "lady-boy" and the bit when he was swimming in the Ganges with that Swami.

Have any of you guys listened to him...if you haven't this is quite a good place to start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCi2P4oz6no :D
"soylent green is people"

Rachel
Xbox Gamertag: squarepolarbear
Steam ID: squarepolarbear

Re: Karl Pilkington

Post by Rachel » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:59 pm

the xfm shows are my favourite thing ever produced, absolutely hilarious
LastFM | [url=http://www.-motion.tumblr.com]Tumblr[/url] | Twitter | Letterboxd | Flickr | now tayne i can get into
wL7£we7°Lh1)tL1)

Kesskuron
NNID: Kesskuron
3DS Friend Code: 167643044135
PSN ID: Kesskuras
Steam ID: Kesskuron

Post by Kesskuron » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:44 pm

He's not funny

Rob3rt
PSN ID: OmegaRobert
Steam ID: OmegaRobert

Post by Rob3rt » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:03 pm

Radio shows are good, the show seems a bit forced a lot of the time

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Kesskuron wrote:He's not funny
log off
LastFM | [url=http://www.-motion.tumblr.com]Tumblr[/url] | Twitter | Letterboxd | Flickr | now tayne i can get into
wL7£we7°Lh1)tL1)

Dix
PSN ID: zXEpic-ToxicXz

Post by Dix » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:07 pm

He's alright. Gervais is a self-obsessive knickerbocker glory though.
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

Scrub

Post by Scrub » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:09 pm

don't all celebrities love themselves though?

Chocolate-Milk
NNID: mcdain123
3DS Friend Code: 2148-9345-8376
PSN ID: mcdain123
Steam ID: mcdain123

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:09 pm

Gonna pop this in MTVFB, if that's alright with you. :)
das a peepo

Kesskuron

Post by Kesskuron » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:19 pm

Rachel wrote:
log off
I'm good ta

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:25 pm

Thank you for your recent application for the position of Thread Troll. Unfortunately your current skill set doesn't match our requirements and we are unable to progress your application further. We would like to wish you luck in your future troll endeavours.

Yours Sincerely, The Internet :)

Dix
PSN ID: zXEpic-ToxicXz

Post by Dix » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:28 pm

Scrub wrote:don't all celebrities love themselves though?
No, just the ones that do are more obvious.
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

Kesskuron

Post by Kesskuron » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:48 pm

N64-Cruizer wrote:
Thank you for your recent application for the position of Thread Troll. Unfortunately your current skill set doesn't match our requirements and we are unable to progress your application further. We would like to wish you luck in your future troll endeavours.

You aren't funny either

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Kesskuron wrote:
Rachel wrote:
log off
I'm good ta
it wasnt optional
wL7£we7°Lh1)tL1)

Stitch Lips

Post by Stitch Lips » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:40 am

alright

♥ sweet galloping honey-baked <deleted> ♥ add me ladles ♥ DAZZLER RULES ♥

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:27 am

Just spent a long walk blasting XFM shows with a friend because they just came up. Good ending to a tiring night. Karl reminds me too much of the people I've grown up around to not love.

Mephisto
3DS Friend Code: 1177-7344-0983
Steam ID: mr_bananas

Post by Mephisto » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:37 am

I always come to Karl when I'm in need of cheering up, and without question at least once a year I'll go through all the XFM shows and Podcasts. He really is genuinely funny, and I think he knows it. I was listening to the Guide to the Arts last night actually, amazing stuff, and Karl really hits the nail on the head with some of his stuff about art snobbery. In fact, I find myself agreeing with him more often than not, and when Gervais and Merchant attack him when he says interesting things like 'do we think in our own voice' it really irks me. That's a thought which i've had myself.

It's great that he's moving away from Gervais now with stuff like Moaning of Life (series 2 imminent I hope). Wonder if they've fallen out at all. Ricky barely mentions him at all on his (absolutely awful) twitter. It's obvious the other two have, maybe Gervais and his ego can't take it.

Mr. EE

Post by Mr. EE » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:28 am

I think he's hilarious. Ricky and Stephen annoy me though.
Edd ~ EE is a cool guy.

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:38 am

Really enjoyed Idiot Abroad, especially during the first series when he was really miserable.
ImageImage

adamguy

Post by adamguy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:39 am

N64-Cruizer wrote:

You're the worst thing about your own thread

(I do think Karl Pilkington is pretty funny though, the animated show's pretty great)
“you taste so delicious girl” he says and I simply melt - kerr9000

KingoftheSocks
PSN ID: KingoftheSocks
Steam ID: chronofighter

Post by KingoftheSocks » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:31 pm

The Ricky Gervais Show Podcast I've always found pretty enjoyable for Stephan Merchant and Pilkington, Gervais is alright but realistically most of his comedy has just been showing off Karl to the world for quite some time now and isn't funny in and of himself
Credit to liberal for this snazzy sig

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:33 am

Head like a f**king orange. Karl has such a gift, if you have had a bit of a sucky day, you can just pop your ear phones in, listen to his nonsense and you are instantly happy and at piece with the world - that's pretty special :D
KingoftheSocks wrote:The Ricky Gervais Show Podcast I've always found pretty enjoyable for Stephan Merchant and Pilkington, Gervais is alright but realistically most of his comedy has just been showing off Karl to the world for quite some time now and isn't funny in and of himself
Agreed, I love Karl Pilkington, but I don't much care for Gervais. You come across that kind of archetype of person first year at Uni. The kind of pseudo intellectual, superior thinking sort where there's a massive gap between how clever they think they are and how clever they actually are. He only gets away with it, because of the way he carries himself, so those around him (i.e. Steve and Karl) don't challenge him. When he's talking about a subject you happen to know a little about, you see he is quite prone to talking rubbish.

BUT, whilst in any other context I find him annoying, his arogance is an integral part to what makes the xfm shows work so well. Karl, isn't a doormat, he is the one that always comes out on top, the one we always side with when Gervais comes across as obnoxious and juvenile. Its the main reason, why I'm comfortable with the 'bullying'.

Also amongst all the very quotable dribble, there's definitely wisdom there. He isn't university educated, but when Ricky and Steve talk about some complex ideas or philosophies he's able to intrepret them quite well and give an intellectually honest response on the spot.

Gervais constantly tries to portray he as small minded and intolerant, but he's actually quite tolerant. With idiot abroad it seemed like they were constantly trying to drop him in uncomfortable situations and places which Gervais basically considered freak shows, so he could berate him when Karl acted uncomfortable or just curious, but what happened was he would make connections with these 'strange' people and it always came across quite sweet.

'cat food, it stinks a bit but if you don't put up with the smell the little kitten will die'

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:16 am

This has been doing the rounds on my iPod during nightshifts every so often for years now, absolutely never gets old and remains the funniest stuff I've ever heard. =)

I lot of my friends still are under the impression that Karl is a "Character" (and if he ever turns out to be, then f*ing brilliant), but you only need to listen the the Radio shows to realise it is literally just a regular guy (from Manchester) speaking his mind. Sure he recycles/rebrands a few pieces of content and jokes every so often - but honestly in real life when you're talking anecdotes - who doesn't?

I also agree that the XFM shows are a bit superior to the podcasts, but I think that's largely due to the fact that unlike the Podcasts, they aren't planned - it's barely a Radio Show at all most of the time (which they all admit pretty much every week) as it quickly becomes "lets play with Karl" pretty early on as Ricky continually pokes his new favourite pet for the comedy.

But in all honestly it has to involve all three all them for it too work. With the TV shows an Idiot Abroad 3 sorely missed Steve, and The Moaning of Life wasn't quite as fun without watching Karl thrown headfirst into situations he hates and hearing the other two laughing down the end of the mobile. The three mates pratting about schtick is what makes it real and funny - love or hate Ricky (personally, I think he's bloody brilliant - at least he has fun with his fame & power than get swallowed up by it).

Mr. EE

Post by Mr. EE » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:13 am

Sonicka wrote:The Moaning of Life wasn't quite as fun without watching Karl thrown headfirst into situations he hates and hearing the other two laughing down the end of the mobile.
I actually enjoyed The Moaning of Life because of that reason. It was nice watching him do things and go to places that he actually wanted to for a change.
Edd ~ EE is a cool guy.

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:22 am

Mr. EE wrote:
Sonicka wrote:The Moaning of Life wasn't quite as fun without watching Karl thrown headfirst into situations he hates and hearing the other two laughing down the end of the mobile.
I actually enjoyed The Moaning of Life because of that reason. It was nice watching him do things and go to places that he actually wanted to for a change.
It didn't think it was "bad" as such. But it sort of hit the point where you can see that Karl is very aware of how people view him. There's quite a few situations where he is clearly being an idiot on purpose, or has at least been asked to do something daft by the production crew for a funny shot.

But yeah, it's good to see him get his own little show (and 2nd series has been commissioned so it obviously did well). But it just slightly misses out on the some of that dark/tense humorous edge for me - Ricky and Steve's playful "school bullying" is where it is at haha! XD

lemmi

Post by lemmi » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:41 pm

Every once in a while I'll listen to the XFM shows religiously, only down side is that they're hard to fall asleep to.

came across a classic earlier- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6fUbEZslfI