FUTURAMA Thread- ZOIDBERG/WHY MUST I BE A CRUSTACEAN IN LOVE

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
Diddy

FUTURAMA Thread- ZOIDBERG/WHY MUST I BE A CRUSTACEAN IN LOVE

Post by Diddy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:59 am

SO I used to run a Futurama thread on a dead forum, and thought I could do the same here. TALK about anything Futurama related that you like, favourite episodes etc. EVERY now and then I'll put up a review, tney won't neccessary be in order, I'll just review episodes I enjoyed etc - starting with the Pilot.

SPACE Pilot 3000

WHAT makes Homer so enjoyable to watch is that, while he usually gets a rough time, he’s usually too dumb to realize it. Homer lives in the present, and even when his stupidity doesn’t lead him to some accidental triumph, any loss is neatly washed out by the love and constancy of his family. IF Homer is too dumb to realize the universe is kicking him in the ass, Fry isn’t dumb enough. WHEN we first see him, he’s chanting, “I hate my life, I hate my life, I hate my life” - pretty dark for the introduction to a comedy everyone expected to be “The Simpsons in the Year 3000”.

“SPACE Pilot 3000” is a great first episode, for how much set-up and development it manages to pack into half hour. 10 minutes in and we saw Fry cryogenically frozen by accident, seen aliens level civilization to the ground (twice), and arrived on New Year’s Eve 3000. THE pilot introduced us to a fantastical world with new rules, technologies, and species -- with two of the main characters are a new technology, and a new species.

ONE of the more emotional parts of the episode was down in the ruins of Old New York. THE full implications of leaving behind his own life hit Fry hard enough that the thrill of the future, and the chance to make a new life, evaporate, and he surrenders to Leela’s pursuit. FRY isfree to make a new life but he’s alone, disconnected not only from all that was bad in his life, but also everything that made him happy. WHILE Bender leans in during Fry’s monologue to remind him of his friendlessness, Leela, sympathetic to other orphans and outcasts, not only stops her pursuit, but opts to join Fry by removing her own career chip.

THE pilot ends with Fry’s triumphant declaration, “I’m a delivery boy!” It’s the same fate that made him miserable in the past, and that he tried to escape at all costs in the future -- but now he embraces it. THOUGH Fry still winds up as a delivery boy, just as the computer ordered, he's happy. THUS setting up one of the greatest animated sitcoms of all time. 9.5/10
Last edited by Diddy on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.

row101
NNID: row101
3DS Friend Code: Hello world.
PSN ID: Why are you reading?
Xbox Gamertag: Why am I typing?
Steam ID: Why are we alive?

Re: FUTURAMA Thread

Post by row101 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:08 am

I've been watching all of Futurama for the first time over the past 2 months. Lucky me.

Been really enjoying it so far.
Thank you.

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:02 am

Recently purchased the final boxset, it's a pity that the show had to come to an end, but i guess it's better that, than for it to go on forever and become rubbish in the process.
Last edited by D.J on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Diddy

Post by Diddy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:27 am

THE series has Landed

LIKE the first episode there was a lot of story telling in a very short space of time. WITHIN the first few minutes we're introduced to the rest of the regular cast, flown to the moon, which is a theme park which is wildly believed to have been collazied by Whalers and a comedian using space exploration as a metorphor for beating his wife. THE episode is always really good at establishing the overall tone of the series and the kind of sense of humour, you'll need to enjoy the show.

THE emotional heart of the episode is in Fry’s desire to live out his childhood dreams of following in the footsteps of Neil Armstrong, and his refusal to have the thrill and wonder of space travel diminished by the reality of it that Leela tries to impress upon him. FUTURAMA is an optimistic show written by a bunch of cynics. THE year 3000 and is dark as our present world, and just the same, being happy in it takes deliberate acts of choice, love, and courage. FRY refuses to give up a sense of wonder and this eventually rubs off on level headed Leela who just wants to get the damn trip to the Moon, but ends up see things through Fry's eye.

OBVIOUSLY that emotional climax, watching the blue marble of Earth rise over the horizon from the re-located Apollo 11 lunar lander, is quickly broken by a drunken Bender being chased across the lunar surface by a robot thresher. A good episode, that doesn't really stand-out as a classic, but at the time was a good demonstration of how weird and creative the show could be. I'M also glad they dropped that idea of magnets making Bender sing Country and Western tunes after this episode.

9/10

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:32 am

I'm going to play a waiting game and hope, now the series has ended that a complete box set is going to be released. I have the series 1-4 box set and have watched those 4 series countless times. For some reason I then just seemed to stop watching it. I'd buy a complete collection if they released one, failing that I'll have to buy from series 5 onwards.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:41 pm

IS there a reason for capitalising the first word in every sentence? DOING so makes it very hard to read. INTERNAL shouting breaks the flow completely and I can't stop reading it like that.

But yeah, Futurama is great, and good reviews otherwise. Now let's all talk about how great Jurassic Bark and The Luck of the Fryrish are
:'(

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:13 pm

I only watched Jurassic Bark a few times because of how sad I found it, was a fantastic episode in the series though.

Nintendo Ninja

Post by Nintendo Ninja » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Off the top of my head:
2>4>3>1>6>7>5

Though there are definitely some episodes or single gags which break this rule.

row101

Post by row101 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:29 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Now let's all talk about how great Jurassic Bark and The Luck of the Fryrish are
:'(
I watched Jurassic Bark (for the first time) a few days ago. I cried. Luck Of The Fryish was pretty good as well.

Also, by complete coincidence, I watched Where No Fan Has Gone Before (the episode with the Star Trek characters) the day Nimoy died.
Thank you.

Diddy

Post by Diddy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:11 pm

Luck of the Fryish and Jurassic Bark

I was going to review the first season before getting onto these episodes, but I'll come back to them later.

When I started to review Futurama, I wasn't sure I'd bother with the scoring system-because there didn't seem like much point. Every episode of Futurama is a 9 or above to me, of the entire series, it never steped a foot wrong, it never peaked nor declined it just maintained a constant level of awesomeness throughout its run. Except one episode Jurassic Bark which for me stands out as the worst episode ever done. So I thought I'd do a joint review of LotF and JB and try to explain why the former is awesome and latter fails in every possible way.

When Italk about Futurama I often talk about its ability to emotionally affect us. This show is about loss, about unfulfilled potential and tragedy Leela the disconnected orphan, The prof whose defining feature is genius slowly loosing his marbles, then there's Fry.

Fry is pretty relatable, which makes the story of him reconciling with his brother, a thousand years after his death so effectful. The episode is so redemptive and its message is that even after we are long dead we still have a positive effect on the people that love us. There's a certain bittersweet quality to it though. He realized how much his brother actually loved him, and that his nephew was a success, but that could make the reality of never seeing his brother again more painful. (His initial reaction to leaving his old world behind was to celebrate as his girlfriend had just dumped him, he hated his job, and his family seemed dysfunctional or disinterested in his. Realizing his family really did love him, and a relative he never knew would be successful and named for him, is kind of painful)

Really, if Fry's life had just been a tiny bit better, this whole concept could be really depressing. He lost everything, his current best friend is a grave-robbing thief, and he's in a world with suicide booths and a homicidal Santa.

LotF is well writen and finely crafted, JB just isn't. Its kind of manipulative and obvious the writers said lets do a sad episode, dogs stories are relatable and easy to feel sad about which is why it feels so cliched. Fryish works because it expresses a range f emotions perfectly rather than just sad for the sake of it. JB emotional core comes from Fry thinking Dog would have forgotten him, but really he never stopped loving him. Its a story thats been done hundreds of times before and done better. Those closing scenes probably resonate quite strongly with many nerds, who may themselves feel abandoned, waiting, and or suffering from neglect. Futurama knows its audience and the whole thing just feels a bit calculated. Its like the writters just felt a bit lazy and I doubt despite the fan reaction that its one they are proud of.
LotF 10/10 JB 2/10
Last edited by Diddy on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Edd
3DS Friend Code: 2380-3173-1972
PSN ID: Eddc15
Steam ID: Eddc15

Post by Edd » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:14 pm

And thus, all these reviews are void because your opinions are clearly completely wrong.
Mr.EE ~ Edd is the best! Edd is super hot!
arceus469 ~ Edd is just a lonely little internet bully with no friends.

Troggy

Post by Troggy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:03 pm

Edd wrote:And thus, all these reviews are void because your opinions are clearly completely wrong.
Seconded.

Jurassic Bark was a great episode of Futurama that I think not only had a legitimately touching story of one of Fry's closest companions from the past, but it also
delved deeper into Bender's character, as he shows jealousy and spite towards Seymour until he realises that Fry's love for Seymour was the same as how he saw Fry as a friend, which I feel is a natural way of letting a character as selfish and indecent as Bender develop.
I felt it was the better episode out of that and Luck of The Fryrish, which I feel has a bit of an asspull of a reveal in comparison to Jurassic Bark. Luck of The Fryrish was still good, but JB is the better episode by far.
I have to go now. My planet needs me.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:43 am

Edd wrote:And thus, all these reviews are void because your opinions are clearly completely wrong.

Diddy

Post by Diddy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:00 pm

A Big Piece Of Garbage “Some experts claimed the ball might return to earth someday, but their concerns were dismissed as ‘depressing’.”

This is the first episode of Futurama. Don't get me wrong, the 8 episodes before this were great, but this is the episode where it stopped being a Matt Growling vanity project, or a Simpsons spin-off and started being comfortable with its own identity. This episode now feel slightly dated, but it is only dated relative to later episodes of Futurama, it still stands-out as one of the best examples of mainstream smart humor. I mean that compare it to other mass market 'smart' shows before and after. You have Fraiser, which features two seemingly erudite brothers, but their intelligence is undermined by their down to earth father or a crass co-worker. Today we have The Big Bang Theory, where the humour either comes from the audience laughing at how socially awkward and inept intelligent people or self congratulation and getting scientific references. The reason I love Futurama is that it never feels patronizing. This episode perfectly combines high-minded cleverness, dirty humour and meaningful environmental satire.

Films and TV shows set in the future often use the futuristic setting as a commentary or satire of the real life present, but no science-fiction set-up comment on contemporary issues, human and social stupidities as well as Futurama.This episode demonstrates what works best on Futurama isn’t the strangeness of alien worlds and races, but rather the familiarity of our humanity reflected in the show a thousand years from now. This episode is the best environmental satire ever because it is about how we have this constant feeling that future generations are rightly going to judge us harshly for our utter disregard for the one and only environment we have and the other animals we share this planet with. So of course the crisis threatening the planet is brought on by a giant ball of lost garbage from the 20th Century.

This episode is great because it has lots of funny jokes that you can enjoy if you don't think about it, but its depressing if you do think about it. It raises some serious environmental questions and doesn't really let us off the hook with a happy ending. When Leela points out that this is just another temporary solution, only to be confidently dismissed by Fry, who’s happy to see that the “20th Century attitude” of not worrying about the fate of people hundreds of years in the future has been picked up by everyone else present.

9/10

Quarg Ranger
NNID: I wonder if
3DS Friend Code: writing in the
PSN ID: profile fields is
Xbox Gamertag: restricted?
Steam ID: Apparently not...

Re: FUTURAMA Thread - A big piece of garbage

Post by Quarg Ranger » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:36 pm

Game of Tones gets me every time. I couldn't remember the name of the episode so I looked it up online. Just reading the synopsis choked me up.

Good grief.
Wrathy: Water's not just a drink. I mean, you can't have a bath in lemonade, wash the dishes in sprite or flush the toilet with irn bru.
--
Gallery | RedBubble | Never Forget
--
I used to have an original sig, now I'm just a mod.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:31 pm

Quarg Ranger wrote:Game of Tones gets me every time. I couldn't remember the name of the episode so I looked it up online. Just reading the synopsis choked me up.

Good grief.
I've never wathced that episode but as a Game of Thrones fan I think I'll have too, just as long as it doesn't mirror 'The Rains of Castamere'

Edd
3DS Friend Code: 2380-3173-1972
PSN ID: Eddc15
Steam ID: Eddc15

Post by Edd » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:52 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:
Quarg Ranger wrote:Game of Tones gets me every time. I couldn't remember the name of the episode so I looked it up online. Just reading the synopsis choked me up.

Good grief.
I've never wathced that episode but as a Game of Thrones fan I think I'll have too, just as long as it doesn't mirror 'The Rains of Castamere'
Iirc, the title is as far as the reference to GoT goes.

Most of the best episodes of Futurama are the ones which focus on Fry's past/family. Other than those ones, the time travelling one when they can only go forwards is best.
Mr.EE ~ Edd is the best! Edd is super hot!
arceus469 ~ Edd is just a lonely little internet bully with no friends.

Diddy

Post by Diddy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:34 pm

When Aliens Attack

For a show that is set one thousand years in the future, this episode sure hasn't aged well. Its not bad, but most episodes are so rewatchable and up until yesterday its the first time I've bothered rewatching it for a few years.

Alley McBeal was a cultural phenomenon in the 90s, I've never seen it but the parody in the last act still managed to be my favourite part of the episode. The Planet Express crew puts on arguably the most horribly acted, ineptly written, and shoddily produced planet-saving show-within-a-show in television history. I sometimes wonder if the episode would have been more successful if the construction of the off-brand Single Female Lawyer episode had been stretched to fill the bulk of all three acts. Seeing the core characters try to work together, no matter how absurd the purpose, is what coxes the warmest laughs out of Futurama.

Even though its a fairly average, I rate it quite highly because of it legacy. Its one of the first episodes where we see Fry in the 90s. I get the feeling that up until this episode the writers shyed away from spending too much in Fry's present, like they thought it would be too restrictive to a show set in the future. I think this marked the episode that the writters realised that visiting Fry in the present if used sparingly makes for some of the best, most emotionally charged episodes. If it wasn't for this episode maybe we wouldn't have Jurassic Bark or Game of Tones.

9/10

bigcalwv
NNID: bigcal1988

Re: FUTURAMA Thread - When Aliens Attack

Post by bigcalwv » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:13 am

Sucks that The Simpsons has been on a downhill slide for the last 10+ years while Futurama didn't even get half the amount of seasons :(. Ah well, at least it was awesome while it lasted. So many great eps, but one of my favourites is from Season 4; The Sting. Like so many episodes, it was packed full of great comedy, while also having a ton of heart and emotion and really letting you get to know the characters. The twist at the end was great the first time around, and even now when I know it's coming, it's still really well done.

Diddy

Re: FUTURAMA Thread - A HEAD OF THE POLLS

Post by Diddy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:04 pm

So as the election is coming up

A Head Of The Polls

Futurama is the only cartoon political satire I enjoy. Cartoon political satire ages poorly, isolates a big portion of its audience and worst of all makes its characters act as mouthpieces for a certain agenda. The good thing about Futurama is even if you don't care about politics or history, the show is still funny.

Richard Nixon’s Head works well as a cartoon villian, his paranoia, his rages, his lust for power in cartoon form make him weirdly endearing. Throughout the series they use him as shorthand for everything corrupt, cynical, unfair about politics. I really enjoy him as an irregular character.

Futurama never seems like its changing its characters for a political function their politics are natural extensions of their personalities. Fry is apathetic, Leela is a do-gooder, and Bender is a non-voter. When a single vote (Fry's) does turn out to count, the message I got from this is VOTING IS STILL IMPORTANT. Its saying all the drama and distasteful media courage we’ve constructed around voting sucks some of the integrity out of it but its still important. Its a simple but effective message and one that I remembered and stick by.

8/10

row101

Re: FUTURAMA Thread - A HEAD OF THE POLLS

Post by row101 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Heh, I loved A Head In The Polls. They couldn't have done a better job portraying Nixon.
Thank you.

Diddy

Re: FUTURAMA Thread - FRY AND THE SLURM FACTORY

Post by Diddy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Fry and the Slurm Factory

Before I rewatchec this one today, I always remembered it as one of the shows more lighthearted episodes but it features Fry being forced to confront addiction or literally see his friends die and he also trys to bite off his own arms to fit down a drainage grate.

There's lots of funny moments in this episode - the parody/tribute of a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and also a commentary about the food industry and addiction in general, but thats not the main reason I like it. I like it because this episode really high-lights why the relationship between the 3 main characters is special. Perhaps more than any episode so far in the series, it gives us a real sense of the friendship between Fry, Leela, and Bender. Loved the montage of Fry and Bender running around New New York with The Professor’s “F-Ray” device, it shows just how much these two think alike and enjoy each other’s company.

I often dislike romantic storylines in comedies because their main message seems a bit odd i.e. in the name of "winning someone's love," men are allowed to badger an uninterested woman for years until she eventually gives in. But, I get why Leela, the abandoned orphan would have a soft spot for Fry who has been continually loyal, loving, supportive, and present in a way that no one else in her life ever has. But their relationship early on was a bit too much about her being the straight man. This episode doesn’t entirely solve that issue, but it at least shows us that Fry understands and appreciates that she’s the one who’s always there for him, no matter what trouble he’s gotten himself into. When Fry spills a single tear into the vat of concentrated super-slurm, it feels oddly heartfelt and sincere in a way the other episode never achieved. He really is horrified that his inability to overcome his addiction to slurm is going to cost him the friend who’s stuck up for him and protected him (even from himself) when no one else would.

I actually think the Slurm Queen makes a solid point. As long as it’s not toxic, does it really matter whose behind your milk, honey, toothpaste, or soda comes out of? Sure, it’d be an understandable marketing nightmare, and I can forgive her Highness for wanting to keep it under wraps, but she’s entirely right. If Slurm is harming anyone, it’s sheerly because of its addictive qualities, rather than where it comes from....Now I'm going to enjoy Cola right after my third heart attack.

8.7/10

The False Guwuh
3DS Friend Code: 112           

Re: FUTURAMA Thread - When Aliens Attack

Post by The False Guwuh » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:34 pm

bigcalwv wrote:Sucks that The Simpsons has been on a downhill slide for the last 10+ years while Futurama didn't even get half the amount of seasons :(. Ah well, at least it was awesome while it lasted. So many great eps, but one of my favourites is from Season 4; The Sting. Like so many episodes, it was packed full of great comedy, while also having a ton of heart and emotion and really letting you get to know the characters. The twist at the end was great the first time around, and even now when I know it's coming, it's still really well done.
post movies futurama wasnt great either
People who get offended should be offended

Diddy

Re: FUTURAMA Thread - WHOSE THE BEST CHARACTER?

Post by Diddy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:27 pm

Whose everyone's favourite character? I'm going to say Fry.

row101

Re: FUTURAMA Thread - WHOSE THE BEST CHARACTER?

Post by row101 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Best regular character? Hermes.

For best recurring character I'd probably choose Morbo.
Thank you.