Kamen Rider / Super Sentai / Toku Thread -Start Your Engine!

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
Yokai

Kamen Rider / Super Sentai / Toku Thread -Start Your Engine!

Post by Yokai » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:56 pm

The Super Sentai Series (スーパー戦隊シリーズ Sūpā Sentai Shirīzu?) is the name given to the long-running Japanese superhero team genre of shows produced by Toei Co., Ltd., Toei Agency and Bandai, and aired by TV Asahi ("Super" refers to their use of mecha, and "sentai" is the Japanese word for "task force" or, literally, "fighting squadron" and was also a term used for Japanese squadrons in World War II). The shows are of the tokusatsu genre, featuring live action characters and colorful special effects, and are aimed mainly at children. The Super Sentai Series is one of the most prominent tokusatsu productions in Japan, alongside the Ultra Series and the Kamen Rider Series, which it currently airs alongside in the Super Hero Time programming block. In the west, the Super Sentai Series are best known as the source material for the American Power Rangers franchise.

The Kamen Rider Series (仮面ライダーシリーズ Kamen Raidā Shirīzu?, translated as Masked Rider Series) is a metaseries of manga and tokusatsu television programs and films created by manga artist Shotaro Ishinomori. This series are aimed mainly at children (with exceptions of Shin Kamen Rider: Prologue V-Cinema and the Kamen Rider The First movie series, which are both aimed for older fans of the series). The various Kamen Rider media generally feature a motorcycle-riding superhero with an insect motif who fights supervillains often referred to as kaijin (怪人?). The franchise began in 1971 with the Kamen Rider television series which followed college student Takeshi Hongo and his quest to defeat the world-conquering Shocker organization. Over the years, the popularity of the franchise has grown and the original series has spawned many television and theatrical sequels.

Bringing back the Toku thread, because every forum needs one.

Anyway, this thread can be used for discussing anything relating to Super Sentai, Power Rangers, or Kamen Rider, whether that be the shows, characters or even merchandise.

The one thing that does make sense however is of course to spoiler tag anything major that happens. Saying something like "x team get a 6th member" or something like that is fine, but for any major spoilers eg:
Burai dying in Zyuranger
it's best to tag them so the series won't be accidently ruined. (though exceptions can be made for the currently airing series, otherwise discussing the episodes would be a pain in the angel delight)

Also, for those unaware, the currently airing Sentai series is:

Ressha Sentai ToQger:
Ressha Sentai ToQger (烈車戦隊トッキュウジャー Ressha Sentai Tokkyūjā?) is a Japanese television series, the 38th installment in Toei Company's Super Sentai series, following Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger. It premiered on TV Asahi affiliates on February 16, 2014, joining Kamen Rider Gaim and later, Kamen Rider Drive in the Super Hero Time programming block. The series has a train motif, and unlike previous series where the heroes are named after colors, the heroes in ToQger are numbered and regularly swap colors during battle.[2]

And the currently airing Kamen Rider series is:

Kamen Rider Drive:
IShinnosuke Tomari is a former elite police officer in the Metropolitan Police who after an event that traumatized one of his colleagues has been "demoted" into the Special Investigations Division, a group that looks into the stranger happenings in the city, particularly the "Heavy Acceleration" events that leave people unable to move that the public have termed the "Heaviness". When he is chosen by the Drive Driver and Tridoron, Shinnosuke transforms into Kamen Rider Drive and is tasked with battling the Roidmudes who wish to take over the world by eliminating humanity.
So yes, feel free to discuss any of the episodes or series etc here

Slazo
NNID: Slazoking
PSN ID: Slazoking
Xbox Gamertag: King Slazo
Steam ID: kingslazo

Re: Kamen Rider / Super Sentai / Toku Thread -Start Your Eng

Post by Slazo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:17 pm

Drive is pretty meh so far, but I've only seen the first 2 eps.

Toqger is forgettable as hell, with only the odd episode being any good.

Why can't we go back to Gaim and Kyouryuger ;_;
~ b e t h e y o u ~ tweet on lil tweeter ~ RetroRemastered

Yokai

Post by Yokai » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:24 pm

I've heard very few positive things said about ToQger. I watched episode 1 when it first came out but haven't bothered since, nothing about the show really appeals to me.

The next Sentai is going to be the ninja themed Shuriken Sentai Ninninger, and if that's like Kakuranger (which I am currently watching) then it should be an improvement!

Drive has been ok so far, but definitely not on the level of early Gaim. Gaim has set the bar so high I always feared Drive would seem very poor in comparison, but I am still hopeful the show will get better since it's early days still.

Majin_Nephets
NNID: Majin_Nephets
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8667-3978

Post by Majin_Nephets » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:53 pm

Oh, I am so behind on my Toku... >_<
PM me if you decide to add me on 3DS or Wii U