Film Thread

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
Rachel
Xbox Gamertag: squarepolarbear
Steam ID: squarepolarbear

Film Thread

Post by Rachel » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:10 am

Hello everyone, now that sonm is open for everyone to create threads here's a general film thread. Post about your thoughts on new releases or old classics (or even old garbage), excitement about upcoming releases or general news about anything film related.

A couple of requests:
please keep marvel talk in the marvel thread
no posts simply stating ratings out of 10 for what you've watched, keep that in the movie review thread

Also, if you have a letterboxd account, feel free to link it so other members can follow you. Here's mine.

Have fun!
Last edited by Rachel on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
LastFM | [url=http://www.-motion.tumblr.com]Tumblr[/url] | Twitter | Letterboxd | Flickr | now tayne i can get into
wL7£we7°Lh1)tL1)

Yinga Garten
NNID: YingaGarten
3DS Friend Code: 3351-4527-3033
PSN ID: YingaGarten
Xbox Gamertag: Yinga Garten
Steam ID: yingagarten

Re: Film Thread

Post by Yinga Garten » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:11 am

reserving second post just in case

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:17 am

What should I see first, John Wick, or Taken 3?

Yinga Garten

Post by Yinga Garten » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:18 am

Lucy.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:28 am

i'd not even heard of john wick so i just googled it and yea i'd say go with that it looks much better than taken 3 which is bound to just be a rehash of taken and taken 2

i'm quite excited to see the upcoming NIGHTCRAWLER staring jake gyllenhaal as a stick insect
it's got a lot of buzz going around it and im a big fan of gyllenhaal so it's one of my most anticipated releases for the rest of the year along with...

INHERENT VICE staring wahkeen blazing it
it's directed by one of the greatest living directors, paul thomas anderson, and stars wahkeen so what can go wrong really?? (early reviews havent been overwhelmingly positive but i'm still interested)
LastFM | [url=http://www.-motion.tumblr.com]Tumblr[/url] | Twitter | Letterboxd | Flickr | now tayne i can get into
wL7£we7°Lh1)tL1)

Scapegoat
PSN ID: UploadedNetwork

Post by Scapegoat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:41 am

I never go by official reviews for films. I find a good majority eton mess. Most film critics have their heads up their own asses, and rate the film based on what the colour red connotates or what the teddy bear symbolises. Well when you are watching a film, you don't pay attention to that, you're there to enjoy being sucked into a fantasy world for 2 hours. Films should really only be judged on certain things for certain genres, for example, action movies shouldn't be judged on character development, because they aren't designed that way. They should be judged on quality of stunts, enjoyment and overall badassery. My favourite film of all time, Shoot Em' Up, scored low with critics but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This is why I never listen to film critics and only listen to user reviews. And you can see a snob review from a mile off so I usually ignore those as well.

Anyone else the same way? More films that scored low that I enjoyed include Grown Ups and Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

Yinga Garten

Post by Yinga Garten » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:46 am

I feel the same about films such as Battlefield Earth.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:55 am

i totally agree with you, films should be rated for what they are, they should be taken for how good they are at what they do rather than how good they are compared to other films

as for ones that i really like that are pretty hated, i'd say all the paranormal activity films apart from the 4th one, i can understand the criticism but i just really enjoy them and i'm pretty invested in the whole story of it to be honest lmao
wL7£we7°Lh1)tL1)

Edd
3DS Friend Code: 2380-3173-1972
PSN ID: Eddc15
Steam ID: Eddc15

Post by Edd » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:44 am

Someone tell me what's up with 2001 and why it's seen to be a masterpiece when it was clearly written by someone high on too many drugs.

And why was the wormhole bit 15 minutes long?
Mr.EE ~ Edd is the best! Edd is super hot!
arceus469 ~ Edd is just a lonely little internet bully with no friends.

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:04 pm

I'm a film studies student (I like to flaunt that title around a bit) and I find that around this time of year that there aren't many new releases to look forward to. I mean, I saw in a newspaper a preview for the film "Fury" starring Brad Pitt, but it's not a film I'm excited for because, and get ready for this sweeping statement (which I would consider both correct and incorrect), it's a film which I feel has been done many times before, along with plenty other films that will be releasing in the near future.

Having said that and looking at my local view film listings, the films I would be excited to see are old remastered films anyway. For example, they are showing an Alien + Aliens Director's cut double bill on Halloween at 21:00 (I would love to see them, but it finishes at about 1am and I have work the next day :lol: ) and the Ghostbuster's 30th Anniversary.

But then again it all comes down to personal taste anyway...

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

Noodle Link
3DS Friend Code: 4596-9498-2568
Steam ID: PlacidBurrito

Post by Noodle Link » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:09 pm

In case anyone's interested, BBC Three are broadcasting a re-scored version of Drive (2011) on October 30th at 10PM. The score has been handled by an array of contemporary musicians and while I'm not necessarily interested in a good deal of these, I am intrigued to see how the film is altered by their visions of what the film should sound like. It's one of my favourite films of the decade so far and the 80s-tinged soundtrack and melancholic score played a big part in that. This new re-score could well ruin the atmosphere of the film (particularly with artists like Eric Prdyz and Bring Me the Horizon on board... I mean fair enough if you like them, but these do not seem like particularly fitting choices for re-scoring a film like this) but I'll be checking it out regardless. Should at least make for an intriguing watch.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 08136.html
You're living in a fantasy world // Last.FM // Music Collection // Tweetaboo // ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Yinga Garten

Post by Yinga Garten » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:30 pm

I'll probably watch that but I'm not big on the Radio 1 approved artists.

Anyway people should join Letterboxd, well designed solid community site to find out more about film and post review etc, far better than populist sites like IDMB. My profile is linked in my signature.

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:19 pm

Yinga Garten wrote:I'll probably watch that but I'm not big on the Radio 1 approved artists.
I feel dirty for seeming like I implied that I'm the opposite. I can't stand a lot of the artists on the list which is one of the main reasons why I'm so intrigued to hear them butcher an otherwise great film. I'll look into Letterboxd.
You're living in a fantasy world // Last.FM // Music Collection // Tweetaboo // ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:33 pm

ive only seen drive once so i should probably watch it again, ive only heard the chvrches track thats on that new soundtrack and im a big fan of them so i liked it, but i think that pounding 80s synth soundtrack is pretty integral to the film so i won't be watching it with the new one
wL7£we7°Lh1)tL1)

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:34 pm

Agree, but I've seen the film with its own score enough times to try out a new one. Not a Chvrches fan, though.

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist
PSN ID: Riainjmp
Steam ID: B-Bomb

Post by ABoxerWhoIsPacifist » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:51 pm

What's 22 Jump Street like?

Loved first, might pick this up.

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:52 pm

Exactly the same as the first one, apparently.

Yinga Garten

Post by Yinga Garten » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:57 pm

More of the same but extremely self-aware of it.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:20 pm

i loved it and preferred it to the first one, it's in my top 5 films of 2014 so far which might not be saying much because it's been quite dry as far as good films go so far
wL7£we7°Lh1)tL1)

Edd
3DS Friend Code: 2380-3173-1972
PSN ID: Eddc15
Steam ID: Eddc15

Post by Edd » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:23 pm

22 Jump Street was better because it had more Ice Cube captain who's obviously the best character.
Mr.EE ~ Edd is the best! Edd is super hot!
arceus469 ~ Edd is just a lonely little internet bully with no friends.

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist

Post by ABoxerWhoIsPacifist » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:25 pm

Can't argue there. Thanks ONM for persuading me to get it. That'll make two Hallows Eves were I won't watch a true horror film (last year was Dark Shadows).

Dix
PSN ID: zXEpic-ToxicXz

Post by Dix » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:55 am

Yeah Letterboxd is excellent, really great for finding things to watch and recording you favourite films, highly recommend it.
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:04 am

Rachel wrote:it's in my top 5 films of 2014 so far
My top 5 are as follows, though my problem with movies is that i'm always 4-6 months behind everyone else as i only ever get around to seeing them after they've been released on disc...

Top 5 (in no particular order)

The Grand Budapest Hotel
Maleficent
Edge of Tomorrow
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Mr Peabody & Sherman

Worst film i've seen this year: Bad Neighbours
Biggest disappointment: The Raid 2

Anyhow, looking forward to picking up Godzilla on monday, it's been ages since i last watched a decent monster mash.
ImageImage

Noodle Link

Post by Noodle Link » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:33 am

You thought Peabody and Sherman was better than The Raid 2? Wow. Now I am slightly worried to watch the latter.

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist

Post by ABoxerWhoIsPacifist » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:10 am

I've only watched 3 films this year, so in a particular order...

3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes