Film Thread

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
Shio hime

Re: Film Thread

Post by Shio hime » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:56 am

>expecting power ranegrs to be unironically good

The real love of power rangers is enjoying it even though it's bad.

new page new me
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

bort

Post by bort » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:06 am

the film doesnt really capture what makes the tv show good though, its just like a superhero movie that doesn't quite know what tone it wants to approach it with

there were some moments that weren't that bad, but like i said to jimbob afterwards, if it was like power rangers but didnt share the brand name it would probably have marginally better reviews, but they wouldnt be getting all that £££$$$ from tie in merchandise

not to mention the best bits of MMPR were the fights, which only work their way into the last 20 minutes of the movie (and even then the rangers only fight for about 2 minutes max before jumping into their zords), and bulk and skull who are absent because their brand of slapstick comedy would be even more at odds with the grittier style it was aiming for

fluffyKittan
NNID: How wanders the dog
3DS Friend Code: In search of
PSN ID: timely relief
Xbox Gamertag: Trapped:
Steam ID: the boy laments

Post by fluffyKittan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:31 am

I will never ignore jimbob we will tie you to a chair and make you watch this movie until you die or decide to fall on your sword as men who fail as utterly as you did would do in the past.
TSF sQuad life ~ pour one out for Sangmin
"People who work at Nisa:'Look, I have a job'." [Decretum, B&M employee circa May 2016]

bort

Post by bort » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:48 am

i dare you to ignore jimbob

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:38 pm

going to see ghost in the shell this weekend. as a fan of the original i feel i need to watch it

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:47 pm

Also went to see the Power Rangers movie having been a huge fan of the TV show as a kid. Went in with tempered expectations... and yeah, it's certainly not a classic. I don't think it's that bad either though, I found some moments of enjoyment from it, mostly with Alpha 5 and liked the part when the Megazord falls over because they aren't quite sure how to control it which makes more sense considering this is meant to be their first time) and I also liked the bold step they took to make one of the lead characters autistic and not actively mock the condition.

Also liked some of the little Easter Eggs that were thrown in, such as a child thinking that the yellow ranger was male and the post credits scene where the teacher introduces Tommy. I hear they are planning another five sequels although I would be surprised if they go ahead with all of them, especially if it's going to follow the critical pattern between poor critic reviews and mostly good audience opinion.

samus_killer
NNID: samus_killer
PSN ID: samus_killer
Xbox Gamertag: SamusKiller

Post by samus_killer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:14 am

Saw Get Out the other day and thought it was pretty darn good.

Well, until the last 20 mins where it throws pretty much every horror cliche at you. Intentional or not, I thought that last section was pretty dumb.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:40 pm

toffeeman30 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:38 pm
going to see ghost in the shell this weekend. as a fan of the original i feel i need to watch it
I saw GITS on saturday, it was better than expected. The plot is pretty simplistic and it doesn't really maek u fink like the 95 film, but it works. Visually the film is fantastic - they absolutely nail the cyberpunk and robot aesthetic - and the individual action scenes are great. For any genre fans or fans of the original I think it's well worth a watch just for the spectacle.

Just wish they'd been braver with the plot.

bort

Post by bort » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:44 pm

i saw it last thursday in IMAX (WOOOOOOOAHHHH) and yeah i think i'd agree but i wouldnt necessarily be quite as positive

they definitely nailed the spectacle, the city is very blade runner visually and that works really well, but everything else is a bit of a flat, watered down experience of the original

that said i think being a big fan of the original tainted the experience a bit because i was constantly comparing them, and it just shows how well the 95 film still holds up. my friend who has never seen the original seemed to enjoy it for what it was, but to me it was exactly what i expected hollywood would do with the opportunity, and that was to try and make it accessible for everyone by removing the more interesting themes and dialling up the action

the ad campaign was a bit all over the place too because ive seen posters and trailers everywhere in london and where i live in kent but only anime fans seem to know it exists? i think it was stuck in an awkward position of trying to draw in the general public without alienating existing fans

my brother said it was like they wanted to reboot the matrix, without realising ghost in the shell was a huge part of the matrix in the first place

D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Post by D.J » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Watched Moana earlier, wonderful film, and the songs were just so damn catchy.
ImageImage

Shio hime

Post by Shio hime » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:35 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:40 pm
toffeeman30 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:38 pm
I saw GITS on saturday, it was better than expected. The plot is pretty simplistic and it doesn't really maek u fink like the 95 film, but it works. Visually the film is fantastic - they absolutely nail the cyberpunk and robot aesthetic - and the individual action scenes are great. For any genre fans or fans of the original I think it's well worth a watch just for the spectacle.

Just wish they'd been braver with the plot.
From what I saw of the trailers looks like they got the plot of the OVA and the first film, hit them both with a big hammer and then glued them back together into one monstrosity.

Also
>ScarJo as Kuthanagi
Noooooooooooooooooooooo ty
Only idiots
ride motorcycles.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Tbh on the GitS front I think it's been summed up by the advertisers using the quote "Heart-racing excitement" or words to that effect and everything I've heard hammers home that my fears are kind of confirmed. So much of the 95 film is everything but that after all, I rewatched it last week because it really is still an amazing film but just don't really see it being redone as well, kind of why I'm not really interested in seeing this version nor particularly bothered that it's apparently not doing too well, always going to have the 95 version.

Plus not really fond of Johansson as an actor either so there's that, especially for the Kusanagi.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

masa
NNID: nonoriri.k
3DS Friend Code: 1908-1215-2187
PSN ID: Cervanres
Xbox Gamertag: nonoriri k
Steam ID: masakisu

Post by masa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:13 pm

My thoughts on ghost in the shell
Gits is fine, its not a bad film, just obviously very studio driven while attempting to pander to fans by trying to recreate some sequences in a manner that ultimately doesnt work that well. The first act is plagued by pretty dire writing, although the visuals and the mood are there the dialogue really doesnt hold it together very well and ultimately feels like the film is trying to explain far too much to you, which again just makes it feel empty, emotionless, and studio-driven rather than being an attempt to actuslly craft a work of art.

Honestly i thought the third act was fantastic, ranging from when the Major meets Kuze up until the spider tank fight, which was honestly pretty eton mess. During that part of the film it takes on a vibe much closer to the SAC series than the Oshii tobe that dominates the first and much of the second act, and honestly it works much better in its favour, as there's some genuine thrills, suspense, and emotion.

I feel like if the entire film had stuck more to the style of SAC it would've played out much more effectively, rather than trying so hard to artificially please to fans of the Oshii film whilst simultaneously trying to appeal to what studios think is the average moviegoer. Because tbh, with Oshii's style of filmmaking, you either go all in or you gooseberry fool it up, and halfheartedly trying to replicate that style was just more detrimental to the film than beneficial. I feel like i wouldve been happier if the film had taken the basic concepts of the world and characters of Section 9 and spun into their own take on it, it would've worked far better, maybe in the style of SAC, maybe Oshii, but not some weird mixture between the two and studio-driven blockbuster.

That said overall its not a bad film, there are glimmers of greatness in it, the visuals are great, the performances are fantastic even if the characters at times feel like poorly written exposition monkeys (except Aramaki, who they got down to a gooseberry fool pinpoint, and Kuze, who's a very interesting meld between SAC Kuze, the Laughing Man, and the Puppet Master), the music is decent, i like the Mirror's Edge aesthetic*.

It just feels like it couldve been a lot more than it was, vut again its still probably the best hollywood anime film ive seen. C'est la vie.

* am i literally the only one who feels like this films borrows far more from Mirror's Edge in terms of style and aesthetic than anything else??
Also everyone should go and see Free Fire, it is phenomenal, probably the best film ive seen this year and its gonna bomb so please go support it < 3 < 3

bort

Post by bort » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:51 am

i didnt even know about Free Fire until last week and now im really excited to check it out this weekend, glad to hear its as good as the trailer makes it out to be

jimbob555

Post by jimbob555 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:43 pm

you should all watch power rangers its a great film and im still laughing about it

SupaWaluigi
NNID: Koopa96
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7126-6522
Steam ID: SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:02 pm

Just watched Elvis & Nixon. Charming funny little film.

Game Geek - Film Fan - Lanky

YouTube: SupaWaluigi
Twitter

masa
NNID: nonoriri.k
3DS Friend Code: 1908-1215-2187
PSN ID: Cervanres
Xbox Gamertag: nonoriri k
Steam ID: masakisu

Post by masa » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:52 am

Guardians 2 was fun, pretty standard mcu fare. Best thing about it wasnt even the guardians it was the fact that there were Watchers in it, meaning marvel might have some kind of deal with fox for fantastic 4 characters.
Adam Warlock postcred tease as well

Edd
3DS Friend Code: 2380-3173-1972
PSN ID: Eddc15
Steam ID: Eddc15

Post by Edd » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:09 pm

Also saw Guardians 2, first one was better.

Kind of felt like they did the usual sequel thing of taking everything people liked about the first one and doing more of the same x2. Like, as cute as Baby Groot is, none of the scenes top dancing baby Groot at the end of Guardians 1.

Had a decent villain tho by MCU standards and nice that there's actual consequence, not everyone was immortal for once.
Mr.EE ~ Edd is the best! Edd is super hot!
arceus469 ~ Edd is just a lonely little internet bully with no friends.

Dix
PSN ID: zXEpic-ToxicXz

Post by Dix » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:19 pm

The original Ghost in the Shell is a tedious piece of eton mess released in a time where there was no other good sc-fi movies anyway. Might just be because I watched the dub, but honestly, it only 'makes you think' because it's got exposition coming out of its angel delight.

The new one was never going to be that inaccessible, both in a literal dialogue based sense. But just general plot also.
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Mon May 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Weighing in on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, it was good, but not as good as the first one, however personally I was looking forward to this the most out of all the superhero films releasing this year, so being slightly let down by it is my fault really.

Although, the comedy, humour and action are still great, but there's just not enough of it this time round.

Also saw the Magnificent Seven remake the other day, pretty good solid Western action movie. Needed more original theme tune though!!!

Twitter

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Actually watched a couple of films over the past few days, both of which I enjoyed a lot, they were "Fantastic beasts and where to find them" and "When Marnie was there". Fantastic beasts was actually better than I was expecting, I mean I expected it to be good but I really liked it. When Marnie was there was just something else, was not expecting it in the slightest, a wonderful film with wonderful animation, music and voice acting but most importantly the story was superb. Had a tear or two in my eyes as the ending played out and when the track played over the credits.

SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Sun May 07, 2017 8:43 am

Watched Their Finest last night with my family. A very good, charming story about propaganda filmmaking in WWII. Gemma Aterton and Bill Nighy were great

Twitter

SupaWaluigi

Post by SupaWaluigi » Sat May 13, 2017 6:34 pm

In contrast to the charming wartime Their Finest, I watched The Evil Dead last night for the first time. I did quite like it, some great gore effects, but it's certainly not as good as Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness

Twitter

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Thu May 18, 2017 11:02 pm

GotG Vol 2

was a bit of a slow burner but enjoyable where it counted, groot and rocket scenes all great again. ''i put that tumor in your mothers head'', jesus son

Yukinon

Post by Yukinon » Thu May 18, 2017 11:09 pm

Thourougly enjoyed watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with my friends
but we all burst out laughing at Yondu's death quote, couldn't you have chosen some better words?
Honestly, I liked it more than the first, because even if it was just "more of the same" I guess I like it that way. As an example I liked KonoSuba S2 more than S1 even though so many people say it's inferior. What can I say.

I also watched Kooe no Katachi a while back like the weeb I am and I loved it to beits, although it did feel a tad rushed compared to the manga's content it was just about as perfect as you could get with a film adaptation.