Film Thread

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
D.J
PSN ID: SpacedDJ

Re: Film Thread [THIS IS HALLOWEEN]

Post by D.J » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:03 pm

One of the upcoming releases i'm most looking forward to is Interstellar, from what i can gather, it's going to be something pretty special.
ImageImage

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:21 pm

D.J wrote:One of the upcoming releases i'm most looking forward to is Interstellar, from what i can gather, it's going to be something pretty special.
Aye, that to also looks good, so I may go to the cinemas twice next month.

Yinga Garten
NNID: YingaGarten
3DS Friend Code: 3351-4527-3033
PSN ID: YingaGarten
Xbox Gamertag: Yinga Garten
Steam ID: yingagarten

Post by Yinga Garten » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:46 pm

looks trash just like every other chris nolan film, especially memento

Mephisto
3DS Friend Code: 1177-7344-0983
Steam ID: mr_bananas

Post by Mephisto » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:47 pm

Dix wrote:Watched Boyhood the other week. Didn't think it lived up to the hype, but it was good. Didn't actually feel like I was watching a film though because of it's structure. Honestly it was quite boring at parts because it didn't feel like there was anything to look forward to in the film. I'd be interested to hear what other people thought about it though, as I've seen a lot of people on Letterboxd saying it's one of their favourite films ever etc.
I agree it was quite boring at parts. I think when he's going through adolescence especially, meeting girls, going to parties, it becomes a little self-indulgent, derivative of earlier Richard Linklater films, and the presumably improvised conversations between Mason and his girlfriend were quite dull.

However I thought the sections that focused around the family were outstanding, the dynamics between the parents and kids were so natural, and I had such a huge emotional investment with those four central characters because of the film's structure. There might not have been any huge event or deadline in the film's narrative but that's just life, and this film arguably reflects life in its most raw sense better than any other, which is why I think so many people love it, especially in America because presumably it's more reflective of an American upbringing.

I didn't think it was a masterpiece or anything, it's not even my favourite film of the year, but I would probably put it in a capsule if I could only save 20 films. It just felt so different, important even.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:29 pm

The Interstellar trailer was on when I went to see Ghostbusters, it looked quiet impressive but I really dislike Nolan something about him makes me want to kick his teeth down his throat... to be fair though a lot of people were gasping at the trailer and literally 3 quarters of them all turned to each other and said something on the lines of that eton mess looks great I am so going to see it.

Rachel
Xbox Gamertag: squarepolarbear
Steam ID: squarepolarbear

Post by Rachel » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:09 pm

regarding Boyhood, i watched it at the cinema when it came out so i might not remember every detail but while i enjoyed it but i don't think it's this Best Movie Of All Time material that people say it is and i think a lot of people have let how 'relatable' this film is stand in the way of actual criticism

saying THIS IS THE MOST REALISTIC FILM OF ALL TIME or THIS FILM DEFINES A GENERATION...... what does it mean??? the film might define the life of a straight white boy growing up in america but will a kid born in the middle east feel that this film DEFINES them? i doubt it, it's all looking at it from a very western perspective and i think that the 'this defines a generation' observation is too broad an assumption about a whole generation and isn't actually real critique

the film also wasnt particularly realistic in my eyes, i'm a couple of years younger than the kid in the film and i didn't feel myself goin YEA THIS IS SO ME during it. having a vampire weekend song play on the radio when it was 2010 IS realistic but it also happens to be the music that was out at the time, it's not really a GENIUS move on the part of richard linklater. the way he tries to push in newer technology as time goes by is so blatant as well to the point where there is a whole few minutes focusing on mason jr using facetime on his apple iphone®. one thing i have trouble with is that
mason jr goes through some pretty tough stuff (abusive alcoholic stepdad) yet seems to show absolutely no emotion about it later in the film. these things HAPPEN but they never seem to have any effect on the film,
it just feels like one life event after the other with no real flow and where the previous events have no bearing on what happens later

add to this that mason jr is not very interesting. as a kid the dynamic between him and his sister is funny but as he gets older he becomes a pretentious moody boring boy who feels COMPLETELY scripted and not 'realistic' in the slightest. when he starts going all philosophical im almost cringing at how bad it sounds, does linklater actually think teenagers talk like that?

the film also seems to keep going and keep going, and i think the end shot was the wrong time to end it. theres a bit when
mason jr is driving off to college alone with some arcade fire song playing or something (hes finally grown out of 'boyhood' and entering 'manhood'
and you think it might end there and to be honest it SHOULD end there but instead they
introduce a couple of annoying characters and end it with a shot of him and some girl that means absolutely NOTHING at this point? are we supposed to believe that this is going to be his FUTURE WIFE or what??? nah she's just gonna be another girlfriend like the one he had earlier in the film so what is the meaning behind that shot?it was even more odd to me that linklater apparantly chose this shot to end the film quite early into it's 12 year production and then actually stuck to it when its garbage
this all sounds very negative but as i mentioned at the start, i did enjoy boyhood i just think too many problems with it have gone unsaid because of how people are so impressed with the way it was shot over 12 years and how it Defines A Generation
Last edited by Rachel on Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LastFM | [url=http://www.-motion.tumblr.com]Tumblr[/url] | Twitter | Letterboxd | Flickr | now tayne i can get into
wL7£we7°Lh1)tL1)

Oathkeeper
NNID: MForward56
3DS Friend Code: 3523-2118-1902
Steam ID: MForward56

Post by Oathkeeper » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:32 pm

Probably going to watch The Nightmare Before Christmas tonight since it's Halloween n'all. It's one of my favourite films so it'll be good to watch it again.

Kezz182
NNID: Kezz182
3DS Friend Code: 1762-2744-8578
PSN ID: Kezz182

Post by Kezz182 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:14 pm

With Halloween having just gone, I've been watching quite a few horror films that I'd missed out on over the past couple years. Quite enjoyed World War Z. The story was engaging for a zombie film, full of action-packed and tension filled moments which were really exciting to watch. Unfortunately, the ending was underwhelming. The huge build up left me unsatisfied and it didn't feel like everything had been resolved. Enjoyed Mama also, even if it dragged on a little in the middle

Dix
PSN ID: zXEpic-ToxicXz

Re: Film Thread

Post by Dix » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:49 pm

Watched Out Of Sight today. Can't believe I'm saying I enjoyed a film with George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez in it, but it was actually really decent. Soundtrack was awesome as well, Willie Bobo is a beast.
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

Stitch Lips

Post by Stitch Lips » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:32 pm

Curse of Chucky > Child's Play > Child's Play 2 > Bride of Chucky > Child's Play 3 > Seed of Chucky

Prove me wrong
Protip:
You can't

♥ sweet galloping honey-baked <deleted> ♥ add me ladles ♥ DAZZLER RULES ♥

Noodle Link
3DS Friend Code: 4596-9498-2568
Steam ID: PlacidBurrito

Post by Noodle Link » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:36 pm

Off to see Interstellar on release this Friday. I must admit I'm a little bit concerned from the critical reception.
You're living in a fantasy world // Last.FM // Music Collection // Tweetaboo // ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:44 pm

I was very very impressed with Curse of Chucky

D Gamer

Post by D Gamer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:50 pm

Only Nolan film I've ever taken issue with is TDKR, and that's because of everything. TDK is my favourite movie ever though, and Inception is probably in the top 10 or 20, so I'm well up for Interstellar

Dix

Post by Dix » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:14 pm

Didn't see what was wrong with the Dark Knight Rises honestly. Sure it was nothing on the previous film, but that's only because you're never going to beat Heath Ledger as the Joker.
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

D Gamer

Post by D Gamer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:31 pm

It was way too long, plot holes as big as the Lazarus Pit, literally nonsensical editing (Bruce is captured with Miranda, shows up as Batman, wonders were Miranda was), didn't do justice to Batman (such a pussy in that Bane fight) and the ending could've been something ballsy and ambiguous, but it turned out to be written by a studio exec with the hope of a fourth. Sometimes wish that the series would've ended with TDK, which incidentally probably had the best comic book movie ending ever (perfectly epitomises the Batman character)

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:45 am

the thing about nolan is that i hate both his big fans and his haters

his big fans are weirdo fanboys who actually think inception is genius and he is single handedly Saving Cinema and they probably think pulp fiction and fight club are the best films of all time too

but his haters tend to be pretentious hipsters who are allergic to fun
LastFM | [url=http://www.-motion.tumblr.com]Tumblr[/url] | Twitter | Letterboxd | Flickr | now tayne i can get into
wL7£we7°Lh1)tL1)

Mephisto

Post by Mephisto » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:37 am

i don't have any qualms with Nolan at all really, I really enjoyed Inception and Memento actually, I just don't particularly get the praise for his Batman films, especially The Dark Knight which I just found really boring.

No idea why anyone would hate him though, at least he's trying to make interesting blockbusters. I don't remember this much of a backlash when Inception came out.

On another note, we watched Battleship Potemkin at uni today, well worth it just for the Odessa Steps sequence alone, very powerful.

Dix

Post by Dix » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Mephisto wrote:On another note, we watched Battleship Potemkin at uni today, well worth it just for the Odessa Steps sequence alone, very powerful.
Awesome film. What course are you doing to be watching that? o:
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

ChaosControl
NNID: jammydodger1985
3DS Friend Code: 270729914659
PSN ID: jammydodger1985
Steam ID: jammydodger1985

Post by ChaosControl » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:30 pm

Rachel wrote:the thing about nolan is that i hate both his big fans and his haters

his big fans are weirdo fanboys who actually think inception is genius and he is single handedly Saving Cinema and they probably think pulp fiction and fight club are the best films of all time too

What's wrong with Fight Club? I enjoyed it...
I am functioning within the established parameters.

Mephisto

Post by Mephisto » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:36 pm

Dix wrote:
Mephisto wrote:On another note, we watched Battleship Potemkin at uni today, well worth it just for the Odessa Steps sequence alone, very powerful.
Second year in Film Studies

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:58 pm

ChaosControl wrote:
Rachel wrote:the thing about nolan is that i hate both his big fans and his haters

What's wrong with Fight Club? I enjoyed it...
its a good film and im a David Fincher Stan it's just vastly overrated and seems to be the film of choice of lads everywhere who think tyler durden is really cool and want to start their own fight club and don't realise that it's satire
wL7£we7°Lh1)tL1)

Meowmix
NNID: Parablegreg
Xbox Gamertag: Parablegreg

Post by Meowmix » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:00 pm

Mephisto wrote:
Dix wrote:
Second year in Film Studies
ohh, where about? I'm currently in 3rd year. Gud course.

Oh and Nightcrawler was v good.

SanTheSly
NNID: SanTheSly
3DS Friend Code: 0430-8264-1513
PSN ID: SanTheSly
Steam ID: SanTheSly

Post by SanTheSly » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:36 pm

See, I enjoyed TDK, and thought Begins and TDKR were just okay.

I liked Memento a lot, but I saw it AFTER Inception; which people absolutely swear by as being fantastic like the rest of his works.

Inception was a wet-fart of a film in comparison to Memento; a sloppily delivered faux-intellectual film dressed up with lots of nice presentable features.

Honestly don't know what to expect from Interstellar on Friday but I'm already wishing it wasn't nearly three hours long.
Remember Reach / THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE / Turn Down For What?

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:44 pm

Anybody else watching V for Vendetta this evening? I'm watching it now only as I'm going out for some fireworks later this evening, it's a great film in my opinion at least, being November the fifth gives me another reason to watch it.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:47 pm

My sort of local shows films that have been out for a bit for 11quid for 2 with 2 free drinks and a free bag of popcorn...

It is Guardians of the Galaxy tommorow so I am tempted