Worst year as a fan?

Want to talk sport? Come here and chat about football, wrestling, Formula 1... anything you like!
Highlight

Worst year as a fan?

Post by Highlight » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:33 pm

As sports fans, we stick with our teams through thick and thin. Sometimes, there's an awful lot of thin and not a lot of thick. So I'd like to know, what was the single worst year you have experiences supporting the team that you love?

As a Derby County fan, the 2007-08 season was like getting kicked in the shins on a weekly basis by your old childhood bully, who then steals your girlfriend and shoots your cat. We set Premier League records - for all the wrong reasons. Fewest league wins in a season, fewest home wins in a season, least goals score in a season, fewest points in a season, worst goal difference in a season... it was almost a relief to get relegated, simply so we could put this shambling husk of a season out of it's misery. I heard that season ticket holders at Pride Park that season got PTSD.

So how about you guys?
ImageImage
Dig Dug wrote:Highlight nailed that.

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Re: Worst year as a fan?

Post by Aren142 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:58 pm

Well, as a Leeds fan, it's incredibly hard to tell. EVERY season is the worst since I started following them about 13 or 14 years ago. Candidates include:
-The 03/04 season, dropping from the Premier League and our total financial collapse surrounding that period of time.
-The 06/07 season, dropping from the Championship and our total financial collapse surrounding that period of time.
-The 07/08 season, starting with a 15 point deduction, managed to make the playoff final only to lose to sheer dumb luck against Doncaster despite dominating the game.
-The 08/09 season, officially our worst season in our history based on league finish and losing in the playoff semi finals to Millwall. Might have been the year we lost to Histon in the cup too...
-The 12/13 season, the combined tyranny of Ken Bates as Chairman and Neil Warnock as manager is just too much and despite a takeover and no immediate financial collapse, we were selling out best players and almost getting relegated again.
-The 14/15 season, we were a joke under Cellino's ownership. David Hockaday replacing Brian McDermott after he got sacked for the second time in a couple of months. Darko Milanic lasted even less time. And then Neil redfearn who was under complete eton mess from above. Then there was eton mess of replacing Paddy Kenny because he was born on the 17th of a month, closing the training ground cafeteria and making the youth team buy players' lunches and an influx of new foreign players who were for the most part completely eton mess and outclassed by our homegrown talent. And we almost got relegated again.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:17 pm

2010/11 season. Despite having a team which on paper was one of the better ones in the league and a very promising young striker by the name of Charlie Austin (wonder what happened to him...), we lost a lot of games. Danny Wilson played some players out of position which didn't help and then we failed to replace Austin, we tried several options, sacked Danny Wilson, brought in Paul Hart for his record of getting teams out of relegation fights, and he failed to keep us up. We ended up finishing bottom of the league below Plymouth, who have severe financial difficulties at the time and had been docked 10 points for going into administration. I kept wondering if the team was ever going to get started and it never did, selling our captain turned out to be a stupid move.

Then again, every season has some form of frustration in it for us, we seem to always have a huge dip in form towards the end of the season in seasons where we do well.

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:38 pm

1994 - Wembley Play Off Final - Derby County v Leicester City
it was my first time going to Wembley to watch a match, I was crying for about a week after

1996 - Wembley UEFA Euro Semi Final - England v Germany
it was my second time going to Wembley to watch a match, I was crying for about a year after, i also went to the final with a st georges cross painted on my face and a czech republic hat on my head
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

Spilskinanka
Steam ID: Spilskinanka

Post by Spilskinanka » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:05 pm

Probably every year since I started following Arsenal rip

Yes, it's not as bad as all that. But so much potential all to only come good over one half of a season, every year for about four, five, six, seven years? Bleh.

Also away from from football, probably McLaren in 2012. They had the fastest car and were a genuine threat to Vettel but blew their chance with eton mess reliability and major gooseberry fool pretty much every week. Then again, is this season any better?
WeAreHarbinger: who cates aobut jnvidoe ngmajesj

Mephisto
3DS Friend Code: 1177-7344-0983
Steam ID: mr_bananas

Post by Mephisto » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:48 pm

2002-03 for me (West Ham fan) - we had a team that was far too good to go down but thanks to an incompetent manager we did just that, though with 45 points. Very painful, and the following transfer window we sold Cole, Defoe, Di Canio, Sinclair and Kanoute among others. This was the first season I really got into following West Ham so I naturally went off football for a while afterwards.

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:51 pm

2 words
David
Moyes

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:14 pm

phalanx wrote:2 words
David
Moyes
You people are so self-entitled. What I'd give to sign Mata and Fellani and to finish 7th in the Premier League.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

Rover92
NNID: Rover92

Post by Rover92 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:21 pm

phalanx wrote:2 words
David
Moyes
Not for me because I already had low expectations for that season.

2011/12 was much worse.
Started the season really well beating Arsenal 8-2 but not long after got hammered by City 6-1.
Knocked out at CL group stage after losing to Basle.
Slight redemption after beating City in FA Cup only to be knocked out by Liverpool in next round.
Beaten easily by Bilbao in Europa League.
8 points ahead in title race with five games to go - lose to Wigan, draw with Everton, lose to City.
...and then that final day of the season.

OmegaPit

Post by OmegaPit » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:55 am

Finish 4th. Chelsea win the Champions League.

TheUndeniableLau
PSN ID: PureFifaRules

Post by TheUndeniableLau » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:14 pm

It's hard to choose between the last two seasons...

I mean as a Fulham fan getting relegated,having 3 managers, seeing your best players go. Losing 6-0 to Hull when it was 0-0 at half time. We set out owns records for the amount of goal conceded which was pretty embarrassing.

Though the problems continued and we nearly got relegated from the Championship, so doing the same at a lower level was pretty soul destroying.

If I had to pick between them being relegated from the Premier League just because I'd been so happy for so long....

Gazooki

Post by Gazooki » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:22 pm

2012-2013 was a fairly poor season for Bury. Lost our manager a week before the season started, took us over a month to find a replacement, and when said replacement did come in he turned out to be completely clueless and got us relegated. Then to make matters worse the club came dangerously close to going out of business because the chairman was a total loon.

The first half of the season after that was fairly eton mess too. Has to release nearly the whole squad and buy twenty new players, half of whom were dreadful, and spent 3 months stuck in 23rd place. Thank God Flitcroft came in when he did.
REMEMBER ME!

Dix
PSN ID: zXEpic-ToxicXz

Post by Dix » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:43 am

Blackburn?

2012-2013 was a gooseberry fool joke. Went through Henning Berg, Steve Kean, Michael Appleton within 6 months and nearly got relegated to league one...

2011-2012 was pretty awful too. I think Basically the first few seasons having Venkys in charge were just generally depressing.
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

Bix
NNID: Wiitabix
3DS Friend Code: 5429-6832-2984
PSN ID: Deadspace-Maniac
Steam ID: Deadspacemaniac

Post by Bix » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:36 am

Im so retro I'm not really here .. but 2016 as an England fan.. not sure if not qualifying would have felt worse.
Wishing my SONM friends a very happy & successful Q3 in gaming
TIME !