What is a sport?

Want to talk sport? Come here and chat about football, wrestling, Formula 1... anything you like!
Post Reply
User avatar
GuitarHero
Posts: 952
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:01 pm
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001
Contact:

What is a sport?

Post by GuitarHero » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:36 pm

The European Sports Charter defines a sport as
European Sports Charter (2009) wrote: 1. For the purpose of this Charter:
a. "Sport" means all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels.
Even fairly recently, Bridge tried to be recognised as a sport by Sport England, so as that it could receive funding too. However, this was turned down as they said it was no more a sport than
Mr Justice Dove wrote:“sitting at home, reading a book”
This is despite the fact that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) recognises the World Bridge Federation as a sports organisation, so is subject to the same regulatory environment as any other sport.

So what, in your opinion, is a sport? What would you say is a fundamental requirement for something to be classed as a sport? What would you say is/is not a sport?

Personally, I think there needs to be more elements to it than just being a competition to be called a sport. Like, its hard to draw a line and say when something stops becoming a game and becomes a sport. Does a sport have to require physical exertion of some kind? I would say yes, for me.

For Bridge, I think it was a bridge too far to classify it as a sport. Plus, its relatively cheap to organise as the equipment does not cost much so I don't understand exactly why they needed access to the funding (as that seemed to be the main thing they were after in this).

However, this doesn't take away from the intelligence and thought behind games such as chess, chinese chess, bridge etc. Skill is required with these games, but they are "mind sports" if you wanted to classify them.

User avatar
Aren142
Posts: 6214
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:01 pm
Steam ID: Aren142
Contact:

Re: What is a sport?

Post by Aren142 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:57 pm

One thing I've always had as a personal definition involves whether or not any average person can just one day participate in it. Athletics, football, tennis, whatever are all very simply. You can go out and do these things very easily. Formula 1? No... I can't just go out and get into an F1 car and drive around a circuit. So it probably shouldn't be called a sport.

But with the rise of e-sports, I guess anything can be considered a sport if it's using skill and can be competitive. It just needs to be categorised. So, F1 suddenly fits into Motor Sports. Video games become e-sports. So things like Chess and whatever can probably count in their own category, sure. Just there needs to be a clearer divide between the things in these categories and traditional Sport.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

User avatar
Robbo-92
Posts: 4141
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:02 am
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500
Contact:

Re: What is a sport?

Post by Robbo-92 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:39 pm

I just think a sport has to have some level of competition between multiple people/parties, granted I couldn't class card games in the same area of sport as football for example but like Aren said, if other sports have forged their own area of sport (such as motorsport and e-sports) then card games/mentally demanding games such as chess, card games etc could do the same.

User avatar
GuitarHero
Posts: 952
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:01 pm
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001
Contact:

Re: What is a sport?

Post by GuitarHero » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:42 am

Aren142 wrote:One thing I've always had as a personal definition involves whether or not any average person can just one day participate in it.
That's an interesting definition you give and one that holds up quite well. However you could argue with low level motor sport would be classified as a sport under this, as if you own a car you could go to your local racetrack and race it (in appropriate categories etc.). It sounds like you define sport on its accessibility, would you say?
Robbo-92 wrote:I just think a sport has to have some level of competition between multiple people/parties
Could you then argue board games are a sport then? Granted, its an extreme example but it is a competition between people.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Posts: 4141
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:02 am
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500
Contact:

Re: What is a sport?

Post by Robbo-92 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:10 am

GuitarHero wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:I just think a sport has to have some level of competition between multiple people/parties
Could you then argue board games are a sport then? Granted, its an extreme example but it is a competition between people.
In a sense yes, but it'd need it's own area of sport like all racing series are classified as motor-sport and video games as e-sports and so on. Saying that I really don't think card games need funding as you said they are so relatively cheap to organise they really don't need much (if any) funding, so if this was the main reason for wanting to be classed as a sport then I can understand why they decided against it.

User avatar
Aren142
Posts: 6214
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:01 pm
Steam ID: Aren142
Contact:

Re: What is a sport?

Post by Aren142 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:58 pm

GuitarHero wrote:
Aren142 wrote:One thing I've always had as a personal definition involves whether or not any average person can just one day participate in it.
That's an interesting definition you give and one that holds up quite well. However you could argue with low level motor sport would be classified as a sport under this, as if you own a car you could go to your local racetrack and race it (in appropriate categories etc.). It sounds like you define sport on its accessibility, would you say?
Yes. Accessibility is pretty key alongside the physical/mental/skill factors. Because there isn't a thing there if no one can participate. It'd then just become an elitist club. So yes, the lowest level motor sport might fall under some level of Sport because anyone with a car can take part, I don't think you even need a licence? Whether or not it would count then depends on I guess the physical activity involved if you want to put it under traditional Sport. Because in a car, you are essentially just sitting there. In F1, you do need physical strength because of all the high level forces involved, but in your average Vauxhall Astra, that's not so much the case.

My mum's a Sports Scientist. I should probably ask her what her definition would be.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

User avatar
GuitarHero
Posts: 952
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:01 pm
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001
Contact:

Re: What is a sport?

Post by GuitarHero » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:11 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:
GuitarHero wrote:Could you then argue board games are a sport then? Granted, its an extreme example but it is a competition between people.
In a sense yes, but it'd need it's own area of sport like all racing series are classified as motor-sport and video games as e-sports and so on.
True, but then you could keep going and argue that every single game is a sport?
Aren142 wrote:Yes. Accessibility is pretty key alongside the physical/mental/skill factors. Because there isn't a thing there if no one can participate. It'd then just become an elitist club.
Yeah, sport is quite a social experience at its roots even if some people seem to forget that. Sport is definitely one of the best ways of bringing people together, regardless of background and money (ideally).
Aren142 wrote:So yes, the lowest level motor sport might fall under some level of Sport because anyone with a car can take part, I don't think you even need a licence?
I would imagine some circuits would allow it without a licence, but its most likely down to the organiser's transgression.
Aren142 wrote:Whether or not it would count then depends on I guess the physical activity involved if you want to put it under traditional Sport.Because in a car, you are essentially just sitting there. In F1, you do need physical strength because of all the high level forces involved, but in your average Vauxhall Astra, that's not so much the case.
Yeah, I'd agree that in F1 you need high physical strength... if you drove fast. I mean, couldn't you be hideously uncompetitive and drive slowly, within your physical limits and still say you're driving in F1? Though of course, no F1 team would pick you plus the car would be near undriveable and have no grip going so slow.
Aren142 wrote:My mum's a Sports Scientist. I should probably ask her what her definition would be.
Yeah, her definition would certainly be interesting to hear

User avatar
Stanson
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:57 pm

Re: What is a sport?

Post by Stanson » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:51 am

playing video games will never be a sport
You win.

User avatar
Eklit
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:54 pm

Re: What is a sport?

Post by Eklit » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:53 pm

Stanson wrote:playing video games will never be a sport
Probably so I am. Although many championships in videogames.
As for me, sport is physical activity directly.
I like winter sports.
My dream - to conquer mountains. I am even registered in a social network for alpinists. There are interesting materials, professional alpinists writes, for example https://mountainplanet.com/mountaineeri ... s-to-k2-16 I like to read about such expeditions.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest