Wrestling Talk: money money money money

Want to talk sport? Come here and chat about football, wrestling, Formula 1... anything you like!
Slazo
NNID: Slazoking
PSN ID: Slazoking
Xbox Gamertag: King Slazo
Steam ID: kingslazo

Re: Wrestling Talk: NXT Takeover UK Tour announced!

Post by Slazo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:02 am

Dix wrote:This is probably controversial but I think this kind of situation is where the WWE works best. With their backs to the wall and no other option to make new stars. Cena, Orton, Rollins, Bryan, Rusev are all out, but with the talent they have on the roster this seems like the best time possible to elevate everybody else. I'm not happy that Rollins was injured or anything, but what this sets up for everything else does excite me a little.

Saying that I probably shouldn't get excited. Especially with regards to the WWE. Rarely lives up to the hype I build for it in my head.
We've been here before though, remember. When Bryan got injured we had a Money in the Bank match to crown a new champion. With brilliant up and coming talents in Reigns, Wyatt and Cesaro, they gave the belt to... Cena. WWE's repeated response to scenarios like this is to revert to type.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love somebody new to be given the belt, I just don't see it happening...
~ b e t h e y o u ~ tweet on lil tweeter ~ RetroRemastered

Highlight

Re: Wrestling Talk: DEADLY GAMES TOURNAMENT FOR TITLE ANNOUN

Post by Highlight » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:09 pm

This sucks as a whole, but it does add a huge level of intrigue to the Survivor Series at least. Hoping WWE bring back the Deadly Games theme for it!

Basically, I can see it going one of three ways, which I have ranked in order of preference:

1) Roman Reigns wins the tournament, either Rock style in 1998 (turning heel, new corporate authority champ) or in conquering hero fashion. Either way, he's new, a great wrestler, and I feel like he's proved himself to the fans since the "sufferin' succotash" nonsense.

2) Sheamus uses MITB briefcase and wins the title. If not, then when is he going to use it? He's basically just holding it for not reason, no-one wants or sees him as a champion in waiting. If he doesn't use it now, he may as well be a failed cash-in I reckon (which wouldn't bother me, he bores me to tears).

3) Vince McMahon calls up Cena and begs him to return from his self-imposed exile to save his company from injuries and falling ratings. I hate this notion, because I'd Cena nuff a decade ago, never mind now. Also, the only reason WWE are seemingly "in crisis" is because they failed to make new stars to replace those that've gone, and putting the strap back on Cena/Orton/Triple H would meant they've learned nothing from this.
ImageImage
Dig Dug wrote:Highlight nailed that.

Dix
PSN ID: zXEpic-ToxicXz

Post by Dix » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:26 pm

Highlight wrote:2) Sheamus uses MITB briefcase and wins the title. If not, then when is he going to use it? He's basically just holding it for not reason, no-one wants or sees him as a champion in waiting. If he doesn't use it now, he may as well be a failed cash-in I reckon (which wouldn't bother me, he bores me to tears).
There were rumours he'd be cashing in around the release of the new TMNT film since he's scheduled to be in it.
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

Rawrgna
PSN ID: Fr0zzy-senpai
Steam ID: rawgna

Post by Rawrgna » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:37 pm

Havent really been following wrestling for the past couple of months sace for the occasional podcast here and there but couldn't Vince or trips just pay Brock for a couple more dates this year let him regain the belt after Taker screwed him out of a sure win and then let him drop it to Roman at Rumble so he can run with it while Rollins recovers and then wrap up their storyline at Mania thus killing 2 birds with one stone
I'm a certified Genius and you cant teach that

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Or get Angle... he is no longer with TNA and him and Brock have awesome chemistry.

Angle hasnt got long left in him as a Top wrestler but get him give him a lap of honour, sign him to a legends contract and then get him training new guys etc

Highlight

Post by Highlight » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:20 pm

Angle is held together by hope and sellotape at this point. If they're not clearing Bryan, there's a snowball's chance in hell they'll allow Angle.
ImageImage

Highlight

Post by Highlight » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:55 pm

WWE really have played a blinder with this Rooney stuff, seen it reported absolutely everywhere.
ImageImage

Stitch Lips

Post by Stitch Lips » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:32 pm

I feel bad for Barrett having to sell that limp slap though

♥ sweet galloping honey-baked <deleted> ♥ add me ladles ♥ DAZZLER RULES ♥

Highlight

Post by Highlight » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:54 pm

Rooney should've just hit him as hard as he could, or else at least wound up the punch in a theatrical fashion. Still, it served it's purpose - McMahon must be thrilled, as he loves positive legit media attention.
ImageImage

TheUndeniableLau
PSN ID: PureFifaRules

Post by TheUndeniableLau » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:26 pm

Highlight wrote:Rooney should've just hit him as hard as he could, or else at least wound up the punch in a theatrical fashion. Still, it served it's purpose - McMahon must be thrilled, as he loves positive legit media attention.
Indeed, they somehow got Rooney to do interviews for them too. He went on ESPN SportsCenter and mostly spoke of WWE love.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:43 pm

They probably just arranged for him to get an other crack at that 48 year old Grandma in a cat suit without his misses finding out.

Rawrgna

Post by Rawrgna » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:07 am

Its definitely something WWE loves doing on it's uk tours iirc last year they had Jermaine Defoe cone out at the Newcastle show for nuclear heat after Sunderland beat Newcastle

Dix
PSN ID: zXEpic-ToxicXz

Post by Dix » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:56 pm

That is hilarious.
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

Highlight

Post by Highlight » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:05 am

Just got back from the house show in Nottingham, was expecting Barrett to get cheered to the rafters, how wrong I was! He had the most heat on the show - could hardly hear him talk over the crowd, it was spectacular!
ImageImage

Highlight

Post by Highlight » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:27 pm

Okay, quick house show report:

- When I first arrived at the Capital arena, I popped to the café and had a quick drink. On all the tables there were flyers advertising Hulk Hogan's speaking tour in Sheffield. Well, word must've gotten out quick, because within minutes someone from the WWE's response team (that's what it said on their jacket) swept round all the tables and removed the flyers post-haste. Guess WWE doesn't want anything Hogan-related even in the same arena.

- House was full, LOADS of kids with Cena merch. Whilst he may be as stale as year-old bread, I can totally understand why WWE keep him around - they must make an utter killing from him. I don't just mean t-shirts either, they all had caps, sweatbands, even that little towel thing. I saw quite a lot of Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose stuff too, everyone else was sort of take your pick.

- Opening match was Neville vs Stardust. Crowd was hot to start, partly because they were eager to see the action, and partly because Neville was the British hero. He got cheered very loud, Stardust was great mocking the crowd and generally being wacky (I loves ya, Cody!). Neville won with the Red Arrow to great acclaim.

- Two odd things about the show. Firstly, although the crowd was loud, it didn't feel like there was much genuine emotion in the place. This may have been because there were lots of children there, or partly because nobody was really mega over (with a couple of exceptions) but it kind of felt like a pantomime more than a fight. In fact, a bit like a panto, the audience cheered, booed and clapped along where they were expected to, but were mostly quiet and respectful during the actual action. Attitude era crowds this wasn't.

- The other odd thing was how they presented The Authority as major faces. Triple H started the show with his DX "Are you ready?" schtick, the main event was made a no-holds barred match as a "present" from The Authority (with a "I guess The Authority isn't so bad, huh?" from the announcer), and they kept playing up Hunter and Steph's charity work. So either a face turn is imminent, or this is major mixed signals.

- The only people who were truly over were Neville, Wade Barrett and Roman Reigns. Barrett especially was booed beyond belief, I could hardly hear him making fun of Nottingham Forest it was so loud! Reigns did get mega cheers when he came out too, no mixed reaction here whatsoever. The matches themselves weren't stellar, all between 2 and 3 stars, but they were given lots of time and everyone played their roles well. Ryback was really good at getting the crowd to chant stuff, he and the Usos probably had the best match of the night against the Wyatt Family, which only fell flat because it ended with a sodding bearhug in 2015! Only person who looked like they couldn't give two eton mess was Del Rio, who may as well have sleepwalked through his match bar the last two spots (he didn't even break up counts when his bloody title was on the line!)

- Overall, I had a good time at this show. If you are willing to get into it, clap and cheer along, and basically not take it too seriously, you'll enjoy yourself. Any kids you can bring along will love it!
ImageImage

Highlight

Post by Highlight » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:04 pm

Good Lord, can anyone remember a build for Survivor Series being this bloody horrible? Even 2001?
ImageImage

Ash
NNID: Ash_Harrison1
PSN ID: Ash_Harrison1
Steam ID: FightAshFight

Post by Ash » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:34 pm

If I wasn't in charge of running PredictaMania, I would legitimately have no clue Survivor Series was even a thing this year.

Stitch Lips

Post by Stitch Lips » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:17 am

Why do they constantly treat Survivors like it's a C-list PPV? It has a cool premise and everything. Replaceable shows like Hell in a Cell get more of a build
'Big 4 shows of the year' my left asscheek

Rawrgna

Post by Rawrgna » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:59 am

Because all they care about is the "road to wrestle mania" nowadays with little thought to any other ppv really. Also it annoys me that Wyatt chose himself and Braun strongbow as the participants rather than all 4 members against taker and Kane sure Rowan and Harper will interfere in the match but it seems a bit silly to just have them stand around for most of the match presumably

Slazo
NNID: Slazoking
PSN ID: Slazoking
Xbox Gamertag: King Slazo
Steam ID: kingslazo

Post by Slazo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:16 am

Highlight wrote:Good Lord, can anyone remember a build for Survivor Series being this bloody horrible? Even 2001?
I dunno, I mean, at least next year I'll be able to tell you half the card of this Survivor Series. I have no clue what happened last year besides the main event.
~ b e t h e y o u ~ tweet on lil tweeter ~ RetroRemastered

Stitch Lips

Post by Stitch Lips » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:15 pm

Rawrgna wrote:Because all they care about is the "road to wrestle mania" nowadays with little thought to any other ppv really.
You're right. From SummerSlam to the Rumble is almost always a dry spell, they save all the hype stuff for Mania season
Rawrgna wrote:Also it annoys me that Wyatt chose himself and Braun strongbow as the participants rather than all 4 members against taker and Kane sure Rowan and Harper will interfere in the match but it seems a bit silly to just have them stand around for most of the match presumably
It's absolutely stupid that it's only Bray and Braun Snowman, especially when the BoD smashed all four of them on Raw
Why would having half your faction be good when all of you got destroyed at once already

Highlight

Post by Highlight » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:20 pm

So to summarise:

Undertaker & Kane vs Wyatts is a two-on-two tag match, which is built up by having the Brothers of Destruction destroy all four members thoroughly. Pay to see if the Wyatt's can win after cutting their forces in half!

The final segment on the go-home Raw is dedicated to the Paige/Charlotte build-up, bringing Charlotte's legitimately deceased brother into the feud. This goes over so well WWE release a statement on their website saying it was all Charlotte's idea, to try and save face.

The world title tournament actually does have some intriguing scenarios, but I bet my bottom dollar that it ends with Reigns winning to boos, and Ambrose (the guy they actually want to cheer) going heel.

Breeze vs Ziggler has had one week of build, and feels like a Superstars match rather than a PPV one. Also, is Ziggler face or heel here? Who knows? Who cares? Give us your money to find out!

And finally, a Survivor Series match with no build, nothing at stake, and with NO announced participants! Are you excited? Well?

I mean, sweet gooseberry fool hell this is LOLTNA worthy. I want a great PPV, I really do, and I'm not a WWE hater.... I just went to a house show a week ago for crying out loud. But in spite of a sudden injury, there's no excuse for this, it's utterly abysmal build.
ImageImage

Ploiper
NNID: ploiper
PSN ID: ploiper

Post by Ploiper » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:03 am

cant say I am surprised to wake up and find sheamus as champion, was expecting that to happen.
EAT DIRT VILE SIG OF DOOM, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ash
NNID: Ash_Harrison1
PSN ID: Ash_Harrison1
Steam ID: FightAshFight

Post by Ash » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:22 am

Survivor Series was legitimately awful.

Rawrgna

Post by Rawrgna » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:54 am

Yeah terrible PPV. I know we couldn't have Taker lose at his 25th anniversary but did the Wyatt's hace to look like complete jobbers for the match? Only highlight was Owens being the complete heelish dick against Ambrose with his chinlock city rest spot calling. Also at least we know who's winning Royal Rumble 2016 >__>