Better Call Saul

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
Diddy

Re: Better Call Saul

Post by Diddy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:39 pm

I must say, this has been pretty top-potato so far.

Saul physically seems quite a lot more redeemable and likable in this series than BB. I think his relationship with Chuck, probably reveals the most about his character so far. The way there is a kind of co-dependence and they kind of need to take care of both of them. We've already seen Saul sacrifice his own happiness for Chuck, I love how even though Chuck is ill, Saul still looks up to him and wants his approval, its super sweet the little moments where Chuck is genuinely proud of him.

Did anyone see the Mike episode?

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:28 pm

Diddy wrote:Did anyone see the Mike episode?
Sure did. Although It's a shame that the best episode of the series didn't even have Jimmy/Saul in it. But then this is probably because we got a focused backstory on one character we followed for a while on Breaking Bad - whereas the entire series is one whole backstory for Saul.

This show is the bomb however. It's got off to a much better start than Series 1 of Breaking Bad did - not that it wasn't great anyway - but I found it only really to be must-tune-inable from Series 3 onwards the first time round I watched the show.

With Chuck suddenly "cured" this week, I do worry about how this will affect his and Jimmy's bond. They were so much closer the worse his condition was.

Diddy

Post by Diddy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:53 pm

Sonicka wrote:
With Chuck suddenly "cured" this week, I do worry about how this will affect his and Jimmy's bond. They were so much closer the worse his condition was.
There bond is pretty special. For a while Saul knew Chucks condition was a mental condition rather than a physical condition, but went along with it to spare his feelings even though it meant he would have to take care of him.

I don't think Chuck starting to get better will affect their bond though, as they have the case to work on. The last episode was very sweet when they were meeting with the solictor and Chuck suddenly remembered who he once was and stood up to them. Also how proud Saul was of Chuck when they were outside.

I am looking forward to them working together.

lol95
NNID: lol995
3DS Friend Code: 5472-7551-7397

Post by lol95 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:30 pm

Without spoilers I felt quite sad at the end of this week's episode, also JImmy finds a genius use for Chuck's space blanket!

Sonicka

Post by Sonicka » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:09 am

And there we have it, with Chuck brinking on the cusp of recovery and an obvious love/loathe for want of Jimmy working side by side with him as an equal (which was foreshadowed in last weeks opening as well if you paid close attention) he has well and truly screwed Jimmy over.

Horribly wonderful to watch, that last scene. You could see it coming from the moment he picked up the phone.

It's amazing how hard Jimmy has tried to be the "good guy" all series, but Chuck obviously will never accept him to be that. It's made all the more tragic by how reliant and dependant Chuck became of Jimmy during his illness, his brother respected and cared for him out of love - and for what exactly? Egh. >_>

Mike's scene's were damn awesome too. Such a great character. In a way his speech about being a good guy/bad guy & crime sorta parallels what is and will happen to jimmy to turn him into Saul, not to mention the future events surrounding Walter White/Hiesenburg.

Dix
PSN ID: zXEpic-ToxicXz

Post by Dix » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:57 pm

Best episode so far.
Youtube
Twitter
#dixformemberoftheyear

Diddy

Post by Diddy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:59 pm

I can relate to the dynamic of Jimmy and Chuck.

It's one of the more horrible aspects of close familial ties: the extent to which people grow dependent upon their reductive characterisation of relatives. If Jimmy, can redefine himself as a good person, then Chuck is forced to redefine himself as a bad person. Within the McGill family Chuck is the successful brother. He has an overactive ego, so his brother recent change of fortune can lead to 'ego death'...or a state of existential free-fall whereby his self-conception is blown by the sudden prominence of conflicting evidence. Sadly, success is often the undoing of close relationships. More sad still is the reassessment one is forced to do of what may have seemed for years to be a healthy, loving, mutually-supportive bond.

Edd
3DS Friend Code: 2380-3173-1972
PSN ID: Eddc15
Steam ID: Eddc15

Post by Edd » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:36 pm

Just watched the last episode, the series was generally fine but nothing seemed to ever really happen. I know there's another series next year but so far, it seems it could have easily been condensed down.
Mr.EE ~ Edd is the best! Edd is super hot!
arceus469 ~ Edd is just a lonely little internet bully with no friends.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:57 am

Anti-climactic finale

Was an alright episode but definitely not the best in the series

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:07 am

On episode 7, that family are god damn annoying, not up there as one of the best of the episodes I've watched

The False Guwuh
3DS Friend Code: 112           

Post by The False Guwuh » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:39 pm

second half of the finale and the episode where saul learns about the poo toilet were bad, the rest were pretty cool. I think my favourite was episode 9 and the mike episode was cool if not a little bit too reminiscent of brba
People who get offended should be offended

Diddy

Post by Diddy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:38 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:Anti-climactic finale

Was an alright episode but definitely not the best in the series
It kind of was climatic in a subtle way though because
this is basically the episode where Jimmy becomes Saul (in spirit if not in name). I mean the bit where he says he's never going to let his conscience hold him back again. It probably explains his motivations better than any of BCS or BB

Anyway I enjoyed it. When does the next series start?

The False Guwuh
3DS Friend Code: 112           

Post by The False Guwuh » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:39 pm

it wasnt subtle at all he literally drives up to Mike and awkwardly blurts out that he's not going to let his conscience hold him back anymore
People who get offended should be offended

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:18 am

I actually agree with Dertdood what has happened

Diddy

Post by Diddy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:58 am

OrangeRakoon wrote:I actually agree with Dertdood what has happened
Yeah you're right it probably wasn't subtle, but I was mainly disagreeing that it was anti-climatic (because this was the start of a big character shift).

It was an unexpected direction: Jimmy embracing the dark side...as a memorial to his friend? To embrace Saul on his own terms, I suppose. To be Jimmy, not what Chuck would want. I think he sees his old friend from the law firm trying to play the game (and even working for Chuck) and decides it's time to move on. So it's not really like giving up, or giving in.

I did like this episode and throughout the series I've enjoyed him being the good guy so hope he doesn't become Saul quite yet though.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:47 am

End season spoilers ahead:
A much better finale would have been ending on the revelation that Chuck was the one who didn't want Saul being a lawyer, Saul leaving, and perhaps the ending scene being him appearing in the bar and meeting his friend. Move the scene setting up that relationship (showing them in the past) back a couple of episodes so that you can cut right to him returning to that life after the Chuck revelation, and then you set up for a second season where you know Saul has changed track, but we'd be left thinking it was going to centre around him returning to this old life, when actually the opening episode would be a complete fake out with his friend dying at the end.

Diddy

Post by Diddy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:18 pm

Edd wrote:it seems it could have easily been condensed down.
I agree. Though both BB and BCS, were both really good at pacing (building up suspense, leaving big stories on the back-burner then picking them up again unexpectedly) they do tend to pad the seasons out more than necessary.

On BB I think breaking up season 5 into 2 half seasons of 8 episodes worked really well structure wise and made it feel more focused. I loved season 3 of Breaking Bad, but there were definitely some filler episodes. There was a whole episode where a dog gets in the lab and they have to get rid of it because is worried about it contaminating the lab.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:45 pm

.....so um, get hype I guess?

Amazing first season, what is everyone expecting this season?
"soylent green is people"

ZeroJones
NNID: Ballyzero

Post by ZeroJones » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:15 am

Happy days! Looking forward to this coming back. I'd like to see Saul and Mike get a little darker and, of course, a few more cameos from BB characters.

Warmij
FKA Regginator3

Post by Warmij » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:41 pm

Wow, didn't realise it's been a whole year since season 1. Definitely looking forward to it, only a few days too!

JacquesLEB

Post by JacquesLEB » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:16 am

Really enjoyed the first season of better call saul, didn't like the last episode felt like his turn was pretty quick, however I'm very excited to see where it goes.

pokemaniac212
NNID: onetruemaniac
3DS Friend Code: 506939914753
Steam ID: pokemaniac212

Post by pokemaniac212 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:59 am

Thought the first series was great, so looking forward to the second.

toffeeman30

Post by toffeeman30 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:35 pm

is it coming to tv anytime?

pokemaniac212
NNID: onetruemaniac
3DS Friend Code: 506939914753
Steam ID: pokemaniac212

Post by pokemaniac212 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:49 pm

Pretty sure its exclusive to netflix in this country.

Cruizer

Post by Cruizer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:30 am

All up to date with this season.

I thought the story with Daniel (the pie guy) say's a lot about the way Mike's story ends in BB. I think there's definitely parallels between Daniel and Walt. Mike should know better to get involved with either of them but I think he likes surrounding himself by idiots [which are bad for him] because he likes being the smartest one on the team. Walt was amoral and not at all street smart but Mike thought he could keep him on a leesh and was just a problem to be dealt with - he underestimated how morally broken he was. Similarly Daniel, whilst not a bad guy has a ridiculously inflated opinion of himself and a dangerous ego sp was always potentially dangerous because he was so the opposite of street smart but Mike failed to keep him on a leesh. It's the whole half measures thing - Mike should have known better to get involved with Walt or at least learned something from his experience with Daniel.

I've always seen BCS as Jimmy's story prior to the events of BB not a Star Wars esq. prequal to the whole BB world. But it's cool seeing these call backs to BB; the banker guy and that pig toy which Mike later uses to confuse the guy at the other side of the door peep hole. Cool seeing Hector too (did you get the subtle bell ring? Nice touch), I guess we'll probably see Gus at some point too??

I really like Kim, but I think she'll die by the end of the season (shame the toothbrush scene with Jimmy was really sweet). Do you guys think that story Chuck was telling her about Jimmy stealing from their dad was true?
"soylent green is people"