Games that are considered bad but you love anyways

Anything and everything in the world of gaming, from PC and consoles to handhelds and mobile.
kerr9000

Re: Games that are considered bad but you love anyways

Post by kerr9000 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:44 pm

Yeah but you have to take in to account that people go out of there way to mess with things like that, making multiple accounts to mark a game down, scoring a game they think is over hyped a 1 even though they don't think its that bad just because they want to pull the average down and such.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:53 pm

I'm aware, but 1500 reviews averaged out goes a long way to rectifying that bias, but primarily it's a figure that's already agreeing with what we've been saying beforehand and highlighting all the posts on places like here, gaf and elsewhere that the opinion is simply that it's not great for a Zelda game.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

bigcalwv
NNID: bigcal1988

Post by bigcalwv » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:37 am

There's such a thing as a good Zelda game? :P

Only tried playing the first one and got bored very quickly, and played maybe 20 minutes of TP when I first got my Wii. Neither of them made me interested in the series whatsoever.

Sabrofra
NNID: GameBoySam
3DS Friend Code: 2406-5595-5668
Steam ID: Sabrofra

Post by Sabrofra » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:00 pm

There are still plenty of other great Zelda games out there though. If you want to get into the series again, I'd say Ocarina of Time would be a good place to start.

Blaxel411
NNID: Black-wolf209
3DS Friend Code: 4811-7239-6713
Xbox Gamertag: Not on my life

Post by Blaxel411 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:00 pm

Sabrofra wrote:There are still plenty of other great Zelda games out there though. If you want to get into the series again, I'd say Ocarina of Time would be a good place to start.
Specifically OOT 3d
I think we can all agree that i`m a great asset to the human race.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:49 pm

Undeniably weakly received =/= undeniably weak
Highlight wrote:I cannot possibly agree that Twilight Princess is a low point in anything. It's a truly wonderful game.
My argument is that Twilight Princess is, along with Spirit Tracks, probably the least progressive game in the series. Every other game did something new and interesting that helped move the series forward. Twilight Princess was just... Ocarina, again. It was a great game, but it didn't bring anything new to the series, so I'd mark it as a weak point. After Wind Waker it felt like a retread of old ground, not breaking new.

RainbowGazelle
NNID: RainbowGazelle
3DS Friend Code: various codes
PSN ID: RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:25 pm

JenovaPX wrote:
RainbowGazelle wrote:Skyward Sword is my favourite Zelda game. I don't see how it could possibly be classed as 'weak'.
The fact that its average user review score on sites like metacritic is a 7.9 (tying with the likes of Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass) shows it's 'weak' according to the fans and to lots of people. 7.9 is still a good score but when the average for a Zelda game among fans is consistently 8.9-9.2 clearly it's not living up to the standard for a lot of people.
Yes, I understand that. What I'm asking is why?
I'm RG Chris on Splatoon!

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:05 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:Undeniably weakly received =/= undeniably weak
Highlight wrote:I cannot possibly agree that Twilight Princess is a low point in anything. It's a truly wonderful game.
My argument is that Twilight Princess is, along with Spirit Tracks, probably the least progressive game in the series. Every other game did something new and interesting that helped move the series forward. Twilight Princess was just... Ocarina, again. It was a great game, but it didn't bring anything new to the series, so I'd mark it as a weak point. After Wind Waker it felt like a retread of old ground, not breaking new.
While that is true, it's always nice to have something familiar and still good. Innovation isn't always necessary in some cases.

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Highlight

Post by Highlight » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:24 pm

Nintendo has the same attitude to innovating it's core series as Superman does to chowing down a kryptonite sandwich. But at the same time, they struck upon a winning formula and don't seem to want to tamper with what works. It's a fine balance, but to be completely fair to Ninty, they don't release a Zelda game as a yearly instalment like FIFA, Call of Duty or Madden. A main entry to the series is done every 3-5 years, which means that advancement and evolution can happen at a slower pace without stagnation hitting so quickly. And yes, I agree that Twilight Princess is basically Ocarina of Time +1, but that's a pretty amazing compliment when you think about it!
ImageImage
Dig Dug wrote:Highlight nailed that.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:50 pm

RainbowGazelle wrote:
JenovaPX wrote:
RainbowGazelle wrote:Skyward Sword is my favourite Zelda game. I don't see how it could possibly be classed as 'weak'.
The fact that its average user review score on sites like metacritic is a 7.9 (tying with the likes of Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass) shows it's 'weak' according to the fans and to lots of people. 7.9 is still a good score but when the average for a Zelda game among fans is consistently 8.9-9.2 clearly it's not living up to the standard for a lot of people.
Yes, I understand that. What I'm asking is why?
Largely new mechanics being seen as rather unfavourable, repeated issues with controls being unresponsive or just outright bad, general characters being less interesting with a few exceptions. Most things are seen as a step down from the other games in general. Part of it is because they tried to be different (who knows how the new upcoming title will fare) but for the most part it's just implementation wasn't all it could be, especially with controls.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:54 pm

I wish everyone who experienced bad controls had played my setup, where the controls worked near perfectly (I say near perfectly, as when aiming at the screen you had to regularly re-sync the aim up, but that was literally a button press to instantly fix which worked absolutely fine and with no intrusion). I wonder how much bad control experiences marred people's experience with the game.

I can't imagine playing SS without the controls being the best the series has had.

RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:07 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:I wish everyone who experienced bad controls had played my setup, where the controls worked near perfectly (I say near perfectly, as when aiming at the screen you had to regularly re-sync the aim up, but that was literally a button press to instantly fix which worked absolutely fine and with no intrusion). I wonder how much bad control experiences marred people's experience with the game.

I can't imagine playing SS without the controls being the best the series has had.
Yeah, same. My controls worked perfectly most of the time, and I loved them.

Blaxel411
NNID: Black-wolf209
3DS Friend Code: 4811-7239-6713
Xbox Gamertag: Not on my life

Post by Blaxel411 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:37 pm

Maybe people were just being frantic and stupid and blaming the controls. And that game`s characters are twice as interesting as in any other zelda game except wind waker and minish cap to a lesser extent.
I think we can all agree that i`m a great asset to the human race.

masa
NNID: nonoriri.k
3DS Friend Code: 1908-1215-2187
PSN ID: Cervanres
Xbox Gamertag: nonoriri k
Steam ID: masakisu

Post by masa » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:27 pm

mega man battle network 4, best game in the series tbh gooseberry fool love it

RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:40 am

I enjoy playing Tank Tank Tank.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:42 pm

Monster Hunter

Now you all see

RainbowGazelle

Post by RainbowGazelle » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:47 pm

I've just finished Watch_Dogs. I liked it, especially the music.

ChaosControl
NNID: jammydodger1985
3DS Friend Code: 270729914659
PSN ID: jammydodger1985
Steam ID: jammydodger1985

Post by ChaosControl » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:28 am

RainbowGazelle wrote:I enjoy playing Tank Tank Tank.
I have to admit, I enjoyed Tank Tank Tank.

I also enjoyed Skyward Sword. I don't think there's a Zelda game I don't like. My favourite is still Wind Waker though.
My least favourite is only Twilight Princess because the Skulltulas terrify me to the point where I physically can't point the wii remote at the screen. But if anything, that just proves how good the game looks overall I suppose.

Zack and Wiki is a fantastic game. I don't think anyone considers it bad as such, but rather they never got a chance to play it because unfortunately, since games are rather expensive people are far more likely to spend their money on a franchise they already know and recognise, rather than take a chance on something new and different just in case it doesn't turn out to be any good.
I am functioning within the established parameters.

Kriken
FKA liberal
NNID: PhoenixVonKarma
Steam ID: Kriken

Post by Kriken » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:15 pm

Twilight Princess may have retread old ground but it did it really well. I saw the similarities to OoT as a sort of homage, and to be honest OoT is a pretty good Zelda game to take after. Seeing Hyrule's overworld re-imagined was pretty exciting to me, a fan of the older game, while I'm sure most others who were not familiar with the world appreciated its epic scope and atmosphere. Meanwhile I see Skyward Sword as a failed attempt at innovation - one of the low points in the series along with Spirit Tracks, which I found boring and in some aspects a step backwards from Phantom Hourglass in ways that it shouldn't have been; train travel, and the way the game handled travel in general, was restrictive and slow. However I'm not spoiling for an argument about SS - have done that too many times already. I just reject the idea that TP is necessarily the weakest point in the series because it doesn't exactly shake things up a lot.

OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:24 pm

To be fair that's only half the reason I rate it below other Zelda games. The other half is the goddamn 2 hour opening.

Chocolate-Milk
NNID: mcdain123
3DS Friend Code: 2148-9345-8376
PSN ID: mcdain123
Steam ID: mcdain123

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:22 pm

I started playing Sonic Adventure 2 again, since I found some Chao Garden mods for the Steam version.

I retract any previous statements I have made defending this game.

This is a bad game.
das a peepo

WithLoveAndSqualor
NNID: KingDanana
3DS Friend Code: 2320-6489-5789
PSN ID: KingDanana
Xbox Gamertag: King Danana
Steam ID: King_Danana

Post by WithLoveAndSqualor » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:06 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:To be fair that's only half the reason I rate it below other Zelda games. The other half is the goddamn 2 hour opening.
yeah but when you hit that halfway mark tho
UNTOUCHABLE
HAIL TO THE KING/FM\ twit

ChaosControl
NNID: jammydodger1985
3DS Friend Code: 270729914659
PSN ID: jammydodger1985
Steam ID: jammydodger1985

Post by ChaosControl » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:17 am

Chocolate-Milk wrote:I started playing Sonic Adventure 2 again, since I found some Chao Garden mods for the Steam version.

I retract any previous statements I have made defending this game.

This is a bad game.
You retract that retraction! With any Sonic game, don't you know you're supposed to just let the nostalgia consume you to the point where it blinds you to the awful overlapping voice acting, letting you focus on how adorable the chao are?!
I am functioning within the established parameters.

Chocolate-Milk
NNID: mcdain123
3DS Friend Code: 2148-9345-8376
PSN ID: mcdain123
Steam ID: mcdain123

Post by Chocolate-Milk » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:07 pm

The Chao Garden is the only redeeming factor. Trust me, if it weren't for the Chao, I'd probably never touch this game again.
das a peepo

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:01 pm

I haven't played many Sonic games, but I think one of the real issues I have with the franchise is just how redundant it is now; it appeals to what people thought was cool in the 90's and as a result it just seems cheesy now. The games themselves are also a bit frustrating to me; the game makes me want to go fast, but instead I'm forced to constantly stop and go through some slow platforming. I can see why it was popular, but I don't think it's relevant anymore, and Sega should not rely on that one franchise to sell units, or else we get eton mess like Sonic Boom.

That being said, the games are still somewhat enjoyable and have their moments.

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17