Black Mirror

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
Flag

Black Mirror

Post by Flag » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:34 pm

(Thought I might as well make a topic for this, given the new episode's out next week, but I don't know the etiquette of topic creation on here)

Everyone's favourite mildly disturbing series on the dark side of technology returns next week, with the Christmas Special 'White Christmas' which is apparently the most 'mind bending episode to date'. Mark your calendars for the 16th!

Anyone going to be tuning in/been watching any of the past series?

Follow me on Twitter - @FlagCaptured

Edd
3DS Friend Code: 2380-3173-1972
PSN ID: Eddc15
Steam ID: Eddc15

Re: Black Mirror

Post by Edd » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:53 pm

I have heard of this show but never watched it, I think it's on Netflix though so maybe I will unless it's bad and then I won't.
Mr.EE ~ Edd is the best! Edd is super hot!
arceus469 ~ Edd is just a lonely little internet bully with no friends.

WithLoveAndSqualor
NNID: KingDanana
3DS Friend Code: 2320-6489-5789
PSN ID: KingDanana
Xbox Gamertag: King Danana
Steam ID: King_Danana

Post by WithLoveAndSqualor » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:10 am

i watched bits of the one with the prime minister and people threatening him so he has to
have sex with a pig? i think?
but yeah i like brooker and i liked dead set a lot, so i'll probably catch up on this on netflix and then hit that christmas episode.
UNTOUCHABLE
HAIL TO THE KING/FM\ twit

Rachel
Xbox Gamertag: squarepolarbear
Steam ID: squarepolarbear

Post by Rachel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:23 am

ive seen 3 of the 6 episodes and enjoyed them a lot so will probably watch the rest, looking forward to the new one too because jon hamm ;)))))))))))))))
LastFM | [url=http://www.-motion.tumblr.com]Tumblr[/url] | Twitter | Letterboxd | Flickr | now tayne i can get into
wL7£we7°Lh1)tL1)

Flag

Post by Flag » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:48 am

The first episode IMO is definitely the weakest (that one involving the Prime Minister)

If you only can watch 2, White Bear and The Entire History of You are pretty good. Or The Waldo Moment. Gah, they're all great. Just The National Anthem is a little less than great I think.

It's hard to believe that these come from the same guy who does Weekly/Yearly Wipe...

Rachel
Xbox Gamertag: squarepolarbear
Steam ID: squarepolarbear

Post by Rachel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:55 am

15 million merits is the best ive seen, the white bear reveal is good too
LastFM | [url=http://www.-motion.tumblr.com]Tumblr[/url] | Twitter | Letterboxd | Flickr | now tayne i can get into
wL7£we7°Lh1)tL1)

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:02 am

Black Mirror is genuinely amazing, will probably be the best thing on TV all year

LFF

Post by LFF » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:49 am

Utterly fantastic, although I'm annoyed that I still need to see two episodes from the second series.
I used to be part of the community, now I just watch it...

Casplen
NNID: Casplen
PSN ID: Casplenn
Steam ID: Casplen

Post by Casplen » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Black Mirror is one of my favourite things and I'm super excited that there's another series coming. White Bear is my favourite, while the Waldo Moment was probably the weakest, but they're all pretty great.

Noodle Link
3DS Friend Code: 4596-9498-2568
Steam ID: PlacidBurrito

Post by Noodle Link » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:10 pm

I've only seen the Waldo episode which I didn't enjoy that much, but from what I've heard that's one of the weakest. I'm a big Brooker fan from his work on Wipe and Nathan Barley and whatnot so I will definitely get around to watching all of them. Had no idea there was a Christmas special coming up, though!
You're living in a fantasy world // Last.FM // Music Collection // Tweetaboo // ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:34 pm

Is it on Netflix? If so I'll consider watching it.

Flag

Post by Flag » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Netflix it's definitely on, may be on 4OD too but I don't know. For the love of god, if you haven't watched them yet, do haha!

The Waldo Moment's probably the least 'Black Mirror' of the lot, but it's still pretty good IMO. Really looking forward to this Christmas special though, watched them all yesterday (bar 2) in anticipation!

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Thanks, will give it a watch then!

The False Guwuh
3DS Friend Code: 112           

Post by The False Guwuh » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:36 pm

i thought white bear was total eton mess, surprised it is getting so much love
Rachel wrote:15 million merits is the best ive seen
agree with this, season 1 in general is much stronger than season 2. I didn't really care much for Waldo and the end scene in that episode was frankly ridiculous but the first episode of season 2 about the synthetic humans was top tier (still had a dumb ending though)
People who get offended should be offended

Flag

Post by Flag » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:45 pm

The False Guwuh wrote:i thought white bear was total eton mess, surprised it is getting so much love
Rachel wrote:15 million merits is the best ive seen
agree with this, season 1 in general is much stronger than season 2. I didn't really care much for Waldo and the end scene in that episode was frankly ridiculous but the first episode of season 2 about the synthetic humans was top tier (still had a dumb ending though)
I thought it was extremely good because
The ending completely threw every bit of the episode prior to that, and it made a lot of it make sense. That and it was really quite messed up all round which brought a whole new dimension to it.
Can definitely see why some people don't like it though.

Flag

Post by Flag » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:31 am

Today's the day! Channel 4 at 10 I think, or something like that. Later on today!

LFF

Post by LFF » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:57 pm

gooseberry fool fantastic.
I used to be part of the community, now I just watch it...

Flag

Post by Flag » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:06 pm

LFF wrote:gooseberry fool fantastic.
That.

Best episode of the entire run, IMO. Absolutely loved it, and it tied in perfectly at the end.

komodo joe

Post by komodo joe » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:39 am

was pretty good overall just a few really weird eyebrow-raise moments eg the end of the dating segment felt very rushed, the conclusion was unbelievable and the middle cloning section felt so terribly forced it was immediately obvious it waa going to come back in the way it did

better than s2 easily but still not on par with s1
pound shop bill sorenson. | LOOK CLOSER LENNY

Flag

Post by Flag » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:51 am

As much as I'm inclined to agree with that first part... I think that was the point? It suddenly escalated really quickly and went out of everyone's control and I think that was portrayed really well.

I didn't immediately catch on that was why the cloning section was going to return, however it was obvious it was going to return.

I still maintain it's my favourite of the entire run, but I'm extremely excited to see what Series 3 brings when that gets finished!

slorp

Post by slorp » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:31 am

I really liked that, I need to watch the rest of the episodes. For some reason I stopped after the first one even though I really liked it

Parallel
PSN ID: MikeChrisA
Xbox Gamertag: Lights Cycles

Post by Parallel » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Never seen any of the other episodes before, but watched last night's episode and bloody loved it. Definitely going to watch series 1 & 2 now.

LostNoob
NNID: LostNoob
3DS Friend Code: 4313-1610-8457
PSN ID: thatlostnoob94
Xbox Gamertag: NlinjaNidoking
Steam ID: thatlostnoob94

Post by LostNoob » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:42 pm

The only episode I've watched was White Bear I think, I thought it was pretty good, not sure why I never bothered to go back and watch the rest, I'll probably watch the entire series over Christmas, I was hoping to catch the Christmas episode last night but I was working.

Drukqs

Post by Drukqs » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:26 pm

Amazing. Black Mirror really isn't like anything else on television. I smiled rather widely at the 15 Million Merits reference in the karaoke scene, too.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:16 am

I just watched it tonight, and I thought it was great. Not the best Black Mirror, but that is a very high standard to reach. I love how it was set up to feel like a framing device that was telling separate stories, but at the same time it tied them all together. The whole smart eyes thing is something that has been explored before in Black Mirror, but it's an interesting enough concept that they are able to use it again without issue like this. Some parts were a little predictable, which was probably the main thing letting the episode down. No reveal was shocking because I had already guessed at it beforehand (the first murder, the murder + child death, and the overall everything being a set-up to make him confess, were all spelled out before they were explicitly revealed, but in some ways that is a good thing). Overall, a very strong episode that revisited the ideas that Black Mirror is based around - a warning against society's use of technology and how it can define our lives, often in negative ways, and the way society demonises and treats criminals.