Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Come here to discuss anything in the world of entertainment, from anime to X Factor.
ZeroJones
NNID: Ballyzero

Re: Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Post by ZeroJones » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:24 am

It's good stuff - enough detail that relates back to previous Doctors to satisfy folks, I reckon. I like the coat.

Ape
NNID: GenericAperson
3DS Friend Code: 133281054437
PSN ID: GSAperson

Post by Ape » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:22 pm

As much as people hate the Moffat era of Doctor Who, the last episode of this era was good in my opinion. The cliffhanger after regeneration was interesting and I await next series to see what happens.

Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Post by Robbo-92 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:00 am

I thought it was pretty good as well actually, definitely better than the odd episode I've caught here and there in the past. No idea of the Christmas special was a Moffat episode or not though :lol: it was good regardless.

shy guy 64
NNID: digitaltriforce

Post by shy guy 64 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:42 am

i enjoyed the episode nice little way to round off the 12th doctor's era and i look forward to seeing the 13th in action
also the captain was the brigadier's dad i think we all saw that one coming
I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and thats not bad. theres no one id rather be than me

Kriken
FKA liberal
NNID: PhoenixVonKarma
Steam ID: Kriken

Post by Kriken » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:02 pm

Pretty uninteresting and hammy story with no stakes. Just fan service. Felt that the joke about the first doctor being from an un-PC era went on for a bit too long.

Yes this was a Moffat episode.

The long lead up to Ten's regeneration was better and more emotional/sincere than 12 blathering on about the importance of love or being kind or whatever.

LostNoob
NNID: LostNoob
3DS Friend Code: 4313-1610-8457
PSN ID: thatlostnoob94
Xbox Gamertag: NlinjaNidoking
Steam ID: thatlostnoob94

Post by LostNoob » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:16 pm

I really didn't like how the first Doctor is portrayed in this episode, he didn't really look, sound or behave like Hartnell's Doctor.

I can happily ignore the fact that David Bradley looks and sounds different, but it was the way the first Doctor was written.
Moffat seemed to base the character on how he behaved in the pilot episode, all cranky and cynical, even in the broadcast version of An Unearthly Child, Hartnell softened the character a lot, by the Tenth Planet, the first Doctor was completely different, and I've watched a lot of 60's Doctor Who, when was he ever a gooseberry fool sexist pig in the classic series?
Thankfully Big Finish got the character of the first Doctor right in the First Doctor adventures, also staring David Bradley.

Other than that, I did enjoy the episode, Capaldi is just amazing, it took me a while to warm to his Doctor, due to the way he was written in series 8, but he's gone on to become one of my favourites, perhaps one of the best actors to play the role.
More Bill Potts is always a good thing.
Testimony was a pretty cool concept, just the fact that it's not some evil plot was a nice change, although it does remind me of that Black Mirror episode with the dead boyfriend.

As for Jodie Whitaker, I do wish we got to see more of her, given how long we have to wait until series 11, two lines isn't much to go on, then again, that could be the point, Chibnall not wanting to give too much away or something.

imbusydoctorwho
NNID: Da-Banker
3DS Friend Code: 3067-6402-2163
PSN ID: CrosswordMan

Post by imbusydoctorwho » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:39 pm

Overall it was a fitting end for the Capaldi era, whilst it wasn't a typical who episode it was a nice change.

Didn't like how the first doctor was portrayed as a sexist old man.
My Youtube Account PlaytendoGuy
Latest Reviews: Dishonored Death of the Outsider Uncharted Lost Legacy Yakuza Kiwami
PSN: Crossword Man
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:25 pm

Honestly I liked it way more than I was expecting to; Capaldi delivered a wonderful performance and I will honestly miss him. One of my favourite Doctors thus far.

The first Doctor's regeneration sequence was honestly touching, as was Capaldi's, but I do wish it had not gone on for so long after the episode ended (gooseberry fool bringing back Clara lol gooseberry fool her). It got kinda eton mess with Bill and whatnot but yeah overall pretty nice and a massive step up from Smith's last episode, if not as good as 10's regeneration (will anything ever be?).

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

GuitarHero
NNID: GuitarHero
3DS Friend Code: 3995-6500-8091
Steam ID: fdob001

Post by GuitarHero » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:45 pm

Capaldi has definitely been my favourite Doctor, sad to see him go as was expecting him to stay on for a long while since he's such a fan. But interesting how the change to Chibnall affects the show, a much bigger change than a female Doctor atm

ZeroJones
NNID: Ballyzero

Post by ZeroJones » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:01 am

Quite liked it. The more sexist moments from the First Doctor made me wince and almost certainly shouldn't have been included. The overall plot was good, to me, a neat idea. Most important of all, though, Thirteen. YES! :mrgreen: